Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's Final String of Episodes; Freeform and Jenna Fischer Team Up for Comedy
Steve Carell Returns to TV Comedy with The Office Producers; Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Coming to HGTV
Pluto TV Launches Sitcom Channel; The Last O.G. Returns for Season 2 on April 2
Ricky Gervais Comedy Coming to Netflix in March; Two TBS Series Moving to TNT
Celebs Announced for Big Brother Season 2; New Comedy Russian Doll Comes to Netflix Feb. 1
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: IMDb Launches Free Streaming Service; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Sees Ratings Increase on NBC

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

Step by Step - The Complete Third Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season Fuller House - The Complete Third Season The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season The Game - The Complete Series

11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
11/28 - The Great Indoors - Season 1 (The Complete Series)
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
01/08 - Family Guy - 20 Greatest Hits
01/22 - Fuller House - The Complete Third Season
01/22 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
01/29 - Ballers - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
01/29 - Crashing - The Complete Second Season
01/29 - The Game - The Complete Series
01/29 - Kidding - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Default SitcomsOnline.com Special: TV-on-DVD Hall of Fame

Read it here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...-dvd-hall.html

Which sets make your TV-on-DVD Hall of Fame?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
clarkkent
Frequent Poster

Default Hall of Fame

I Love Lucy and Three's Company are the 2 from the list that I have and they are great. I think one show that definitely belongs on the list is "The Dead Zone." Those dvds are LOADED with special features, lots of commentaries, behind the scenes look at the making of the show, gag reel, and even interviews with guest stars, nice and creative menu pages (different for each season) and I purchased all my dvds for under $25!
clarkkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

I'm trying to figure out which episode of I Love Lucy has the scene edited out!
Benno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
friendsfan77
-

I unfortunately don't have much with TV DVDs now. Hopefully this will change in the near future, but anyway, two off the bat that I have that I really, really enjoy are Mary Tyler Moore season 1 and Charles in Charge season 1.

The quality with the MTM episodes are AWESOME. I've never ever in my entire LIFE have seen the show look better than it did on the DVDs. And it's so cool seeing the uncut episodes, as well as all the special features. It had emmy clips, commentary, original CBS promos from 1970. Loved. It. That was worth every dime I spent on it. Worth. Every. Dime.

As for Charles in Charge season 1, the quality was superb and seeing the uncut episodes for the first time were a really fun experience and it's still fun to revisit it from time to time. It always bothered me seeing the show in syndication and noticing that in the closing credits, sometimes I'd either see that someone's name was in the credits that didn't appear in the episode, or there are clips of the show that were played during the end credits that apparently didn't make the syndie cut. There were ENTIRE SCENES that I've never seen before. They were all there. I was so impressed.
friendsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
TV_Fan
Forum Regular

My picks for the TV DVD's that I currently have are: Lost Season 1, Land of the Lost seasons 1-3, Medium Seasons 1 & 2 (glad the creator of the show won't let music be edited out) and The Addams Family V1 & 2.
TV_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
TV_Fan
Forum Regular

My picks for the TV DVD's that I currently have are: Lost Season 1, Land of the Lost seasons 1-3, Medium Seasons 1 & 2 (glad the creator of the show won't let music be edited out) and The Addams Family V1 & 2.
TV_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
TV DVD Fan

SEINFELD and I LOVE LUCY are simply the best TV-DVD releases out there, hands down. On the surface you might look at a list of LUCY's features and say, "Ah, it's not that much." But the back of the box DOES NOT do the set justice. The set sometimes even LEAVES out the names of key special features on the back of the sets. An exhaustive amount of early radio episodes, full-length commentaries, and wonderfully restored deleted scenes are what MAKES these sets. I also love the fact that they tell you for every episode the original air date as well as the production date, along with telling you the Desilu production numbers of each episode. The production notes are very in-depth and ALL of the guest-stars (well, besides a few who probably only did ILL in their acting careers) have very detailed biographies on each disc. Some special features can be found in the episodes themselves however, which is a little tedious (such as the flubs), but the special features section points out the little things that we wouldn't of probably noticed on our own.

SEINFELD has notes for every episode, many commentaries, documentaries, bloopers, stand-up footage, deleted scenes, Sein-a-mation, EVERYTHING!!! The audio and visual quality are SUBERB as well.

MARY TYLER MOORE (S1 and S2) and BOB NEWHART (S2 on) has had wonderful releases with plenty of commentaries and interviews on all.

SGT. BILKO, while being a best-of set with 18 episodes on it, is STILL worth the 39.98 price tag. It's not your typical CBS DVD property. Paul Brownstein was involved as skees pointed out, 'nuff said. Commentaries, interviews (including Phil's final one), a fun song created by a relative of Phil's, promos and intros to each episode, and the list goes on.

HERE'S LUCY is right up there with ILL in terms of treatment on DVD. Commentaries, interviews, bloopers, and more. FAMILY GUY has been treated well overall as well (I really enjoy the commentaries, though they go over the line sometimes--- anyone who's listened to one knows what I'm talking about). Hanna-Barbera cartoons are usually treated well, with no short supply of commentaries and documentaries, as well as NEWSRADIO, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, a one-of-a-kind Shout! release of Ozzie and Harriet (despite edits, this set contains a radio show, commentaries, and even shorts by the Nelsons that make up for it), etc.

THREE'S COMPANY Seasons Two Through Four were FANTASTIC with the John Ritter tributes and commentaries, along with an abundance of bloopers and galleries. But I can't tell a lie: I was completely unimpressed with season five. It seemed like that set was VERY poorly thought out in terms of extras, even though there were two interviews, it wasn't enough for me. Season six, besides the hour-long commentary was nothing as well. Richard Kline's two commentaries on season seven and the bloopers on season eight were what saved those sets from being mediocre in my eyes. Still, overall, the last half of the show was not given the proper treatment they deserved on DVD.

Others I haven't mentioned yet that had great commentary tracks and interviews, documentaries, and more were THE ODD COUPLE and THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW. And even though this show only lasted for six episodes, POLICE SQUAD! was also given its "justice" served on DVD The list just goes on and on and on, but I agree, the DVD Wall of Shame could stand to have a few less members. It's a shame, but for now, we'll just have to stick with these exceptions to the rule.

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
clarkkent
Frequent Poster

I made my first post yesterday and I forgot to include some shows on MY OWN PERSONAL HALL OF FAME LIST:

Lois & Clark Seasons 1-4
Titus Seasons 1-3
227 Season 1
Diff'rent Strokes Season 1 only
Growing Pains Season 1
Prison Break Season 1 (Okay, so it's not a comedy) but I thought it was a very nicely done set with PLENTY of extras
clarkkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
bmasters9

"Hawaii Five-O" S1 (1968-69)
"Hart to Hart" S1 and S2 (1979-81)
"Dynasty" S1 (Winter/Spring '81)
"Hill Street Blues" S1 (Winter/Spring '81) and S2 (1981-82)
"St. Elsewhere" S1 (1982-83)
"Hardcastle and McCormick" S1 and S2 (1983-85)
"Moonlighting" S1 and S2 (Spring '85 and 1985-86)
bmasters9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Lee G
Banned
Banned!!

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and GET SMART are two great DVD sets. The packaging could be a little better on the GET SMART set, but all the episodes are there uncut with tons of bonus features. THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW also has uncut episodes and lots of bonus features. Paul Brownstein worked on both of these DVD sets, anytime you see his name associated with a TV DVD release you know it's going to be a good product.

THE MUNSTERS is another good release. Not the greatest packaging and the DVD's are double sided, but the episodes are uncut. F TROOP is another good one. Nice packaging, single sided DVD's and uncut episodes. Another one you can't go wrong with is THE BRADY BUNCH. THE FLINTSTONES DVD's are nice but they gave us one cut episode on the season three DVD. I have since obtained an uncut copy of the episode.

LOST IN SPACE and GILLIGANS ISLAND are two more nice DVD sets. Both have complete episodes on the discs. GILLIGANS ISLAND has double sided DVD's, that is the one negative about that set.

Last edited by Lee G; 07-27-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Lee G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Welcome Back Kotter and The Fresh prince
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyzer
Welcome Back Kotter and The Fresh prince
I liked Fresh Prince Season 1, because it had the nice episode guide to look at, plus all the discs were securely in the digipack. Then season 2 ditched the booklet and gave use episode guides on the panels, then season 3 left out the episode descriptions. Thankfully, they started suing slimcases for season 4.

And, how could you say Growing Pains was a good set? My digipack broke the first day I bought it, so now I have to tape the discs just tokeep them secure, and there are no episode descriptions or anything.

Watch:

Medium, Fridays at 9pm, on CBS!
Big Bang Theory, Mondays at 9:30pm, on CBS!
The Mentalist, Thursdays at 10pm, on CBS!
Old Christine, Wednesdays at 8pm, on CBS!
ABC's Comedy Lineup, Starting Wednesdays at 8:30pm, on ABC!
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Rezny@gmail.com

ALL of The DVD's I have(FTroop-The Complete First Season and the Complete Second Season,Petticoat Junction:The Ultimate ,Collection"Collection 2 of the ORIGINAL CBS black and white version of "The Twilight Zone"seasons 4 and 5 of "The Dick Van Dyke Show
","That Girl"seasons one and two,"Green Acres"-the complete first,second and third seasons,and Seaons two and three of "The Doris Day Show")are worthy of the hall of fame.In short,they are ALL great DVD's.
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

my picks out of the ones I have are THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES-ULTIMATE COLLECTION VOLUME 1 and seasons 1 and 2 of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (and I hear that seasons 3, 4, & 5 of DVD are just as GREAT!)

First, BH: only one word can describe this set-AWESOME! It has ALL the season 1 episodes UNCUT, all with the music intact, even the uncut pilot episode, shown the way it was originally broadcast even the little part that runs after the closing credits !! And it has cast commercials-a generous HALF-HOUR of them! chapter stops on all the episodes, an introduction by Linda Kaye Henning-creator Paul Hennings daughter and Betty Jo Bradley on PETTICOAT JUNCTION- a documentary called PAUL HENNING AND THE HILLBILLIES, TV appearences by the cast, in short-it's AWESOME!!! (and I hear volume 2 is just as great)
The only complaint I have is that, every time an episode's over, instead of going back to the main menu, it goes right into the next one.

Now on to DVD-this is also great!! it has comentary on some episodes by Dick, Carl Reiner and other cast members, interviews with the cast and crew, emmy clips of them, cast commercials, and season 1 even has the original pilot, which has a completely different cast and settings!!! In short, worth every dime I spent on it!!!!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #15
Corolla

Reba and Married... With Children
Corolla is offline   Reply With Quote