Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Part 2; Gillian Jacobs 'Loves' Netflix with New Show for 2016
BET Fall 2014 Schedule with Fresh Prince; Michael Che Will Join Colin Jost at SNL Weekend Update Desk
Centic Fall 2014 Schedule; Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies to Move to Hallmark Channel
Summer 2014 Week 16 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilots Coming Together for 2015-2016 TV Season (and a Full House Update); New VEI Releases
SitcomsOnline Book Club - Soap: The Unauthorized Inside Story of the Sitcom That Broke All the Rules; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 15, 2014)
CMT Fall 2014 Schedule with Raising Hope; Nurse Jackie to End in 2015 After 7 Seasons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Christmas and 2 other Xmas specials on DVD!

This holiday season Paramount Home Entertainment will release Alvin & the Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Christmas on DVD November 1. The set will include A Chipmunk Christmas from 1981 (before the animated series started in 1983) and two other Christmas specials from 1988 and 1989 titled Merry Christmas Mr. Carroll (AKA Alvin's Christmas Carol) and Dave's Wonderful Life.

It is a nice one disc set running approx. 66 minutes. Here are the details on all three Christmas specials:

A Chipmunk Christmas (1981):
Catch the Christmas spirit with the Chipmunks in this musical holiday favorite! Swept up in a holiday mood, Alvin gives away his cherished harmonica to a sick little boy.
Meanwhile, Dave has booked Alvin to perform a harmonica solo at Carnegie Hall! Alvin keeps the loss of his harmonica a secret from Dave, and with the help of Simon and Theodore scrambles to earn enough money to buy another harmonica in time for his Carnegie Hall debut! Along the way you'll hear Alvin, Simon and Theodore getting ready for the Big Night, singing their own comical versions of holiday favorites like "Jingle Bells" and "Deck the Halls." Everyone in the family will want to sing along when the guys perform their famous "Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)"! This heart warming story, brimming with joyful music, makes A Chipmunk Christmas a great way to celebrate the holidays...any day!

Merry Christmas Mr Carroll (1988):
The Chipmunks version of "A Christmas Carol." Alvin, while writing a homework assignment on the meaning of Christmas, falls asleep and dreams of the spirit of Christmas past (Dave), Christmas present (Theodore) and Christmas future (Simon). And in a delightful and entertaining process, he learns to appreciate the true meaning of the holiday season.

Dave's Wonderful Life (1989):
This story gives Dave the opportunity to see The Chipmunks' lives if he had not been there to give his love, support and compassion...with some hilarious consequences.

Is the animated series next on their plans? Stay tuned!
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

Persoanlly I'd l;ove if it a early to mid 1960s one had been made, back when the original (in animaiton--NOT in ideas of in kid appeal!!! :"D) ALVIN show was popular...

A Clyde (the inventor) Crashcup,Mrs Frumpington (the classical nut),Chipmunks Dave Seville (too bad no Chippettes back then.. ) clambake would be peachy keene.

(The original chipmunks coincided with that MR MAGOO 1961 XMAS special that really started the whole animated special sub-categoruy off, and in poin-of-fact Format FIlms, which produced this old ALVIN SHOW, WAS a offshoot of MAGOO's UPA-which won three Oscars(tm and r), one for GERALD Mc BOING BOING (1950-1951,and in 1956-1958 the star in his OWN right of the FIRST animated toon in prime time!) and two for Magoo!)

(Format FIlms also did the very space agey-modern LONE RANGER in 1966 and the 11 Roadrunner cartoons in 1966 for Warners--who censored the WRONG 11 films when they censored the race ones..and Format besides ALVIN ALSO produced (while they did none of the vile concurrent short sof the following combined franchise) the last three of the Daffy/Speedy series before the Warner Bros.animation studio (re-opened as "Warner Bros.Seven Arts") reopened in house under new management) during which time the hotly debated Duck and mouse shorts started, if that is anything, to get better.)

Yeah, I recall that 1970s CHIPMUNSK special.Just to keep it WB releated..the Warner Bros and MGM artists worked on ALVIN as did some hanna barbera. Rudy Larriva, who directed the later Roadrunenrs I mention, directed the Alvin show and so I beleive did Art avis and Bob mcKimson...Chuck Jones,whoi likewise moonlighted at UPA (and got booted for it.>) for their feature (1963) GAY PURR-EE, wokred on the 70s one short special of the Chbipmunks..wheich even fetaured Jones-tics for David Seville and fetaured CLYDE CRASHCUP!!)(Sadly, Mr.C was missing in the Ruby Spears/MWS/Dic ones but it si just as well, he'd be cutesied up..:

"How about baby blue? To match your baby blue eyes?"
-Frank Nelson on "The Flintstones" (1961)

http://sjcarrasblog.blogspot.com-ORIGINAL GUMBY SERIES SITE

http://toonsnoot.blogspot.com
New-TOON SNOOT-Random posting on American animation trivial stuff from 1920s to early 70s.

ON FACEBOOK HERE AT:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001249396142
Old 10-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

I have the set. The 1988 and 1989 episodes are under "The Chipmunks" umbrella. Which would be correct.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

I did not realize the first Chimpunks Christmas was only from 1981. I thought the special came out in the late 50's. I also thought the song came with the special but I guess not.

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan fanatic
I did not realize the first Chimpunks Christmas was only from 1981. I thought the special came out in the late 50's. I also thought the song came with the special but I guess not.

99.99 percent right...

The Chipmunk series legacy began (after the classic LPs and singles!) (not coutning Ed Sullivan SHow type appearances, and the like) in 1961 - Oct.4 woukld be the date that those three irrespreisble chipmunks invaded the small screen. Clyde Crashcup and Leonardo would pop up and accompany them.(They were created specifically for the show!!)1961-1962.minor sucess,apparently but TREMENDOUS in reruns!

The MANY phenomonally popular 1965-1970 reruns,then afterafter sporadically shown, then a MAJOR 1979 (AGAIN the ONE GOOD series, the one that which I just got through referring to!) then a 1981 special (partly by Chuck Jones and rather substandard* IMHO only!) were followed by the (in my opnion only again!!) horrible Ruby-Spears then "Murikami-Wolf-Swenson"the DUDES that did TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES sucessfully**) then DIC did those IMO uninterestingf remakes

BTW THE ALVIN SHOW, which along with the original (ALSO 1961-1962 but here in a few more oreiginal wepisodes thru 1967) BEANY BOY, was the original namne for Alivn, Simon, Theodore, and David Seville's show in 1961.

But the ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS name was first used for the rerusn in the alte sixties, yeah.

(I think that was the retro-reissue record name in the seventies too,but the more generic "CHIPMUNKS" was used in the 70s on for merchandising,maybe in the 60s..was ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS a popular merchandising 60s name as IIRC it was? I was born in 1960 (see my profile, in case I put my age there).

FOOTNOTES:
*"Chuck Jones's Take on the 'Munks":In my opinion..(THE 1979 ALVIN special) Chuck Jones gave Dave Seville a look like his stern "FACE onscren: master (narrator Robert C.Bruce) in his 1954 animation FELINE FRAME UP (fairly good for the waning years Jones IMO) when looking stern. They DID bring CLyde Crashcup back there, sans Leonardo, his apprentice/best friend/confident/able assistant/etc. ( )

**"TMNT producers doing CHIPMUNKS" (1988-1989)":IMO, the TURTLES ain;t my cup of turtle soup.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carras
99.99 percent right...

The Chipmunk series legacy began (after the classic LPs and singles!) (not coutning Ed Sullivan SHow type appearances, and the like) in 1961 - Oct.4 woukld be the date that those three irrespreisble chipmunks invaded the small screen. Clyde Crashcup and Leonardo would pop up and accompany them.(They were created specifically for the show!!)1961-1962.minor sucess,apparently but TREMENDOUS in reruns!

The MANY phenomonally popular 1965-1970 reruns,then afterafter sporadically shown, then a MAJOR 1979 (AGAIN the ONE GOOD series, the one that which I just got through referring to!) then a 1981 special (partly by Chuck Jones and rather substandard* IMHO only!) were followed by the (in my opnion only again!!) horrible Ruby-Spears then "Murikami-Wolf-Swenson"the DUDES that did TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES sucessfully**) then DIC did those IMO uninterestingf remakes

BTW THE ALVIN SHOW, which along with the original (ALSO 1961-1962 but here in a few more oreiginal wepisodes thru 1967) BEANY BOY, was the original namne for Alivn, Simon, Theodore, and David Seville's show in 1961.

But the ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS name was first used for the rerusn in the alte sixties, yeah.

(I think that was the retro-reissue record name in the seventies too,but the more generic "CHIPMUNKS" was used in the 70s on for merchandising,maybe in the 60s..was ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS a popular merchandising 60s name as IIRC it was? I was born in 1960 (see my profile, in case I put my age there).

FOOTNOTES:
*"Chuck Jones's Take on the 'Munks":In my opinion..(THE 1979 ALVIN special) Chuck Jones gave Dave Seville a look like his stern "FACE onscren: master (narrator Robert C.Bruce) in his 1954 animation FELINE FRAME UP (fairly good for the waning years Jones IMO) when looking stern. They DID bring CLyde Crashcup back there, sans Leonardo, his apprentice/best friend/confident/able assistant/etc. ( )

**"TMNT producers doing CHIPMUNKS" (1988-1989)":IMO, the TURTLES ain;t my cup of turtle soup.

cool. Thanks for the info