Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default SitcomsOnline 2013-14 Upfront Preview Week

Stay tuned all this week (May 6-10) at around 12 noon ET on the blog for our predictions of the fall schedules!

NBC: Mondays at noon

Fox: Tuesday at noon

ABC: Wednesday at noon

CBS: Thursday at noon

The CW: Friday at noon

Please let us know your thoughts on our prediction and feel free to post your schedules AFTER we release ours!

Actual upfront is next week (May 13-16), so please join us the next two weeks as this is the busiest time of the year for TV people!
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

I think Community will come back so it has more episodes for syndication. In the fall Go On would have been a lock to return but since it nosedived doesn't have much value. MJF would be better off airing Tuesdays at 9:00, if it's put on Thursday CBS will move The Big Bang Theory against it. Parenthood should air Thursdays at 9:00 with Grimm at 10:00.
My Top 100 TV Theme Songs http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...28#post5320128
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

The race between NBC's bubble comedies is one of the more interesting ones of Upfronts week this year...I think Community, Go On, and Whitney are the most likely to return, and I can see all of them returning, two of them returning or just one. I think at least one will, though. As a Community fan I'm obviously hoping Community gets renewed but I'm trying to prepare for the worst. I do think Community is legimiately a smarter renewal than Go On though but I doubt NBC will admit failure with that one.

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
EmoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Seems like we have had a lot of early renewals this year, more so than normal

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
gilligan fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
cherryade
Frequent Poster

Community is stronger than both Go On and Whitney (slightly better spring ratings in a far tougher timeslot), its ratings are more stable as a veteran, and it's almost certainly cheaper for NBC due to its proximity to syndication. It'll be a surprise if it's cancelled. If it is cancelled, it will be down to network executives deliberately going out of their way to cull a show they hate rather than down to its ratings.

Quote:
NBC needs to find more broad appealing comedies
NBC needs to find more successful shows, but I remain unconvinced that this involves chasing such a nebulous and vague concept like "broad appeal".

I think the real problem is that NBC executives are cynically trying to dumb everything down to make their shows "broad" and have "heart". People tune in and soon start figuring out that the shows are generic, dumb and poorly-constructed and slowly-but-surely start tuning out. Even worse, their comedies aren't funny or fun.

Instead, NBC needs to stop playing it safe and start swinging for the fences.

I also think they have been way to keen to abandon their existing viewerbase. Yes, they need to get more viewers, but why not try creating a show that might actually appeal to people who already like and watch The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community and 30 Rock? Given that The Office and Parks are still NBC's top 2 comedies and the network is chasing the success of Modern Family, then why not order some mockumentary-style shows? There's no reason why NBC can't do it at the same time as their horrendous unappealing "broad" shlock that they insist on pumping out year-after-year.

Last edited by cherryade; 05-06-2013 at 05:56 PM.
cherryade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
tbswatcher
Forum Regular

Does anyone know of other sites where I can see network upfront predictions?
tbswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
benjamoon
Bewitched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbswatcher
Does anyone know of other sites where I can see network upfront predictions?
I'm doing predictions this week on my blog: http://benjamonsterstv.blogspot.com/

Also these sites have some good commentary/predictions:

http://www.spottedratings.com/
http://bigtvfan.wordpress.com/

My favorite TV shows: Bewitched, I Love Lucy, American Dreams, Mary Tyler Moore, The Office, Happy Days, The West Wing, Modern Family, Friday Night Lights, and Friends
benjamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan
Stay tuned all this week (May 6-10) at around 12 noon ET on the blog for our predictions of the fall schedules!

NBC: Mondays at noon

Fox: Tuesday at noon

ABC: Wednesday at noon

CBS: Thursday at noon

The CW: Friday at noon

Please let us know your thoughts on our prediction and feel free to post your schedules AFTER we release ours!

Actual upfront is next week (May 13-16), so please join us the next two weeks as this is the busiest time of the year for TV people!
The end of May will mean the beginning of the Canadian TV upfronts. I'll keep you posted on those when they happen.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryade
Community is stronger than both Go On and Whitney (slightly better spring ratings in a far tougher timeslot), its ratings are more stable as a veteran, and it's almost certainly cheaper for NBC due to its proximity to syndication. It'll be a surprise if it's cancelled. If it is cancelled, it will be down to network executives deliberately going out of their way to cull a show they hate rather than down to its ratings.

NBC needs to find more successful shows, but I remain unconvinced that this involves chasing such a nebulous and vague concept like "broad appeal".

I think the real problem is that NBC executives are cynically trying to dumb everything down to make their shows "broad" and have "heart". People tune in and soon start figuring out that the shows are generic, dumb and poorly-constructed and slowly-but-surely start tuning out. Even worse, their comedies aren't funny or fun.

Instead, NBC needs to stop playing it safe and start swinging for the fences.

I also think they have been way to keen to abandon their existing viewerbase. Yes, they need to get more viewers, but why not try creating a show that might actually appeal to people who already like and watch The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community and 30 Rock? Given that The Office and Parks are still NBC's top 2 comedies and the network is chasing the success of Modern Family, then why not order some mockumentary-style shows? There's no reason why NBC can't do it at the same time as their horrendous unappealing "broad" shlock that they insist on pumping out year-after-year.
Yeah, NBC shouted from the rooftops how broad and accessible their new shows were this year...and every single one of them failed.

They need good comedies, period. The Office was a big hit for them and it wasn't broad and pandering. 30 Rock and Parks & Rec were never big hits but they sure as hell did a lot better than any of NBC's recent sitcoms. Just make good shows again, because now they're alienating whatever audience they have left while failing to gain a new one.
EmoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I hope MJF's new show is good. I wish he would have picked another network to go to.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

I didn't realize Alexis Bledel was in a FOX pilot. I definitely wouldn't mind that being paired with Raising Hope.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Cyrax
Frequent Poster

Really, really hoping that The Neighbors gets renewed!
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
tbswatcher
Forum Regular

I decided to give making fall schedule predictions a shot. Here's what I want to happen with ABC. I can't wait to see how wrong I am next week.

ABC Fall 2013

Mondays
8pm DWTS
10pm Castle

Tuesdays
8pm Agents of SHIELD
9pm DWTS Results
10pm Body of Proof

Wednesdays
8pm The Middle
8:30pm Middle Age Rage
9pm Modern Family