Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Barney Miller (Sitcoms Online) / Barney Miller links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Barney Miller Photo Gallery

Barney Miller - The First Season

Buy Barney Miller - The First Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Second Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Third Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Series

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Barney Miller

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Icon15 OH MY GOSH!! Tragedy in Gregory Sierra's life (Toledo Blade, 1978)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6668%2C1751797

I never knew this until now. How horrible!! In light of what happened to Andrew Koenig, it just reminds us all of how serious an issue suicide is.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Unhappy

I'd never heard about this before either. How sad.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Makes me wonder - maybe low ratings wasn't the only reason the show lasted only 5 episodes. If you check out his filmography between 1978-81, he doesn't have that much listed. It wasn't until he joined the cast of Soap that I think his career set fire again.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Makes me wonder - maybe low ratings wasn't the only reason the show lasted only 5 episodes. If you check out his filmography between 1978-81, he doesn't have that much listed. It wasn't until he joined the cast of Soap that I think his career set fire again.
I would imagine it would have been very difficult for him to continue to work under those circumstances. So wether it was by choice or not I'm sure the time off at that point in his life was good for him. To give him a chance to heal.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I don't think I would be able to work under those circumstances - so it's an even greater testimony to his acting ability that he kept going for the rest of A.E.S.' short duration. I've seen the show (some guy taped it off Beta when it was originally on and put it on a DVD for me) - and you'd never be able to tell that there was a dark cloud hanging over him.

It seems he made it "through the rain", as Mariah Carey's song goes. He's still healthy and as we know, recently acted in a play this past fall. My respect for him as an actor and a human being just grew even more!!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Then again, according to this article from the Milwaukee Sentinal Journal, the show was probably doomed from the start. Check it out:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6469%2C4305591
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Now that I think about it, 2 of the 5 episodes dealt with the issue of suicide - including the last one. I haven't see the show in some time because I loaned my DVD to a friend who still hasn't given it back yet () but it just struck me. Here's the only episode guide to the the show I could find:

http://www.tv.com/a.e.s.-hudson-stre...v_episode;more
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Now that I think about it, 2 of the 5 episodes dealt with the issue of suicide - including the last one. I haven't see the show in some time because I loaned my DVD to a friend who still hasn't given it back yet () but it just struck me. Here's the only episode guide to the the show I could find:

http://www.tv.com/a.e.s.-hudson-stre...v_episode;more
Wow, that is amazing that they would do not just one but two eps. that dealt with suicide considering what Gregory was dealing with in his personal life. (And you would think the writing staff would be aware of that too!)
Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Wow, that is amazing that they would do not just one but two eps. that dealt with suicide considering what Gregory was dealing with in his personal life. (And you would think the writing staff would be aware of that too!)
You'd think so! How Gregory managed to do those episodes, I have no idea. But on the other hand, maybe he was able to channel some of his grief into his acting in those particular episodes.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #10
big bertha
Frequent Poster

Default How Horrible

Speaking as someone who has had to deal with suicide indirectly, it is not fun. My sister's ex boyfriend murdered her and then killed himself. Some days it is so hard. She was my best friend. I cannot imagine the guilt this poor man has suffered. I am glad he gets up and gets on with his life everyday. Sometimes it is very hard. It has been 17 years since my sister was murdered and it hurts like it happened yesterday. God bless Gregory. What a wonderful man. I cannot believe the writers of that show would do such a story line in light of his situation. Some people are so insensitive.
big bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bertha
Speaking as someone who has had to deal with suicide indirectly, it is not fun. My sister's ex boyfriend murdered her and then killed himself. Some days it is so hard. She was my best friend. I cannot imagine the guilt this poor man has suffered. I am glad he gets up and gets on with his life everyday. Sometimes it is very hard. It has been 17 years since my sister was murdered and it hurts like it happened yesterday. God bless Gregory. What a wonderful man. I cannot believe the writers of that show would do such a story line in light of his situation. Some people are so insensitive.
You are such a sweetie - and so brave. My cousin's wife's sister took her own life at a young age as well and she (my cousin's wife) is doing a lot to raise awareness of depression and suicide. In your case, it's been 17 years and in Gregory's it's over 30 (it happened either in late 1977 or early 1978) but that has to scar someone for a lifetime. I think what happened with Andrew Koenig (Growing Pains) just drives the point home further.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
Schmoopie
Future Oregonian
Forum Veteran

Wow, that's horrible! Monika in another thread about Gregory I asked if he was still married and now I wish I hadn't. I can't believe the show would do two episodes about that terrible subject. I hope they were done before this tragedy occured and not after.
As for being able to work afterwards? I was working two jobs at the time that my dad killed himself and out of necessity, I went back to work only three days after. In hindsight, I should have taken at least a week off. I had a ton of leave from my full time job but I went to work anyway. I remember I was working at Blockbuster Video and at an elementary school. I would be working and minding my own business when suddenly I would either have a "memory" of my dad's funeral or it would hit me that he was really dead and it was literally like someone put a knife in my stomach. I'm sorry to be so graphic, but that's exactly what it felt like. I hated that feeling to no end.

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

No need to apologize! You didn't know. I don't know if he ever remarried, the most recent article I read about him (from November 2009) didn't mention a current wife or any children.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Andrea. I can't even imagine how awful that must feel.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I too had asked if Gregory Seirra was married before I read this, and I wish I hadnt.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Unhappy

Just sad, sad stories this week about suicide - Andrew Koenig, Marie Osmond's son - I found it creepy that I happened to stumble across this story at the same time. Other celebrity suicides I found especially tragic were those of Donny Hathaway, and Bill Bixby's ex-wife Brenda Benet. In all cases, what a waste.