Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
slasherman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I think the boyfriend was cleared long ago. Yes UM never mentioned she was a few months pregnant but someone mentioned they watched a talk show with Angela Hammond's mother on it years ago and she mentioned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allierain
Whew, good. Unfortunately it's all too common these days for the baby daddy to do away with the pregnant girlfriend/wife when he wants out from the situation. But Angela's boyfriend just didn't strike me as that type. He seemed like a good guy who was genuinely upset and heartbroken that he couldn't catch up with the kidnapper.

I hope they eventually find a resolution to this case.
He cant be cleared cause he was the last one that saw her. When you think about it he was the last one and only one in every aspect of the case. And if Angela was pregnant, he is innocent like Donny Hansen was in my view. I would not be surprised if Rob Schafer found a "new" girlfriend just a couple of months later...
slasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

I am not sure how things work in Norway but what are you talking about Rob Schafer cannot be cleared? We are an innocent until proven guilty society. Sure he could be cleared. His car, his transmission was severely damaged. I will say, for an 18 year old kid to do what you are accusing him of he would have to be pretty damn smart. He would have to have incredible foresight that a person that age simply would not have.

Rob Shafer did eventually move on yes, well that is if you consider him getting a new woman in his life moving on. I have yet to see how that makes him or anyone else guilty in and of itself. Yes he did eventually marry I believe and I am not sure if he stayed in Missouri or if he moved elsewhere or what?

However I mean to have the foresight to come up with the story he did, I do not think it was unusual that no one in town saw him. This was a small town, it was a weeknight, the downtown area at that time of night even in the relative early evening would have been deserted as most of the shops would have been closed, traffic would have been light. This was before the days most of the general public had cell phones so using a pay phone was not at all unusual. I am assuming the police checked with the pay phone company to check the records and I am assuming there was a record of someone using that pay phone to make a call to Rob's house. Also there were witnesses BEFORE the abduction who saw Angie using the pay phones.

You seem to get confused making someone a suspect and clearing them. Yes the police had reason to make Rob Schafer a suspect. He was her boyfriend, she was pregnant and presumably he was the father of the child, he was the last person KNOWN to have talked to her before the alleged abduction. However again, someone told him these details about the bearded, dirty looking man driving a lime green and white Ford Pickup with a mural in the back window of a fish jumping out of water. Those are very specific details.

Comparing Rob Schafer to Donnie Hansen is simply not even close to a fair comparison. I am an innocent until proven guilty believer, I am pro defense but wow, Donnie's lawyer must have been F. Lee Bailey or the prosecutor stunk to lose that case. I have seen people convicted of murder charges off of WAY less than what they had on Donnie Hansen.

That was not just a circumstantial case. I mean who was in possession of the murder weapon the night of the murder? Donnie Hansen. Who purchased the shotgun shells used to kill his sisters? Donnie Hansen. Who purchased the gas can and the gasoline used to start the fire? Donnie Hansen. On top of that who tried sneaking back into the shop allegedly to feed the family dog even though he knew the dog had been moved to a neighbors and was not there? Donnie Hansen. Why? It is because he knew the shotgun was in there because he put the gun in there after he shot his sisters and started the trailer on fire. He did not know the cops had already found the gun and removed it from the shop.

I mean to me, it is pretty incredible he was convicted in that case because as I said, I have seen many people convicted off of way less than what they had on Donnie Hansen. Now, whether or not Donnie was alone or not in this plot is the big question. I actually lean towards the theory that he was not. I guess this is why the jury acquitted but it still comes as a surprise to me because the D.A. sought the death penalty. To do that, you need a 'death qualified' jury. So the jurors at least claimed that in the event they convicted they would be willing to potentially recommend the defendant be sentenced to death. Since people that believe in the death penalty overall tend to be more conservative they also tend to be more likely to convict.

The jury in Donnie's case came out of Alameda County, California (Oakland and parts of the East Bay Area, San Leandro, Hayward, Fremont, Newark, Union City, Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore, etc.) It is unclear whether the trial was held in Oakland or if the jury was brought up from Alameda County to Humboldt County to Eureka for the trial? Alameda County is at least 200 miles south of Humboldt County.

Anyway, sorry for dragging on off topic but I wanted to show how Rob Schafer and Donnie Hansen in their separate respects are really not fair to compare. By the way, you do not see this very often but it seems that once in a while pursuing the death penalty actually backfires for the prosecution. Look at the case of Danny White in San Francisco who killed Mayor George Moscone and City Supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978. When he was arrested he was charged with two counts of first degree murder and the prosecutors sought the death penalty.

Sounds good right? Well one problem they did not take into account. When they pursued the death penalty they obviously had to get a death qualified jury. San Francisco as everyone knows is probably the most or certainly one of the most liberal areas in the United States, then and now. However in 1978, there was a small but solid conservative bloc there who were not found of Moscone and Milk and other liberals as they had felt they had turned the city upside down. So when the death penalty was sought, the prosecutors knew they were getting conservative people on that jury but they did not count on the fact that conservative people also were likely to view the victims a lot less sympathetically than liberals would. As a result, White was convicted of the lesser charges of voluntary manslaughter and was later sentenced to 10 years in prison. He was released after serving 5 and killed himself a couple of years after his release.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
marlins3
Forum Regular

Doggone it! Some posts on here just leave me shaking my head wondering "How?!?! Why?!?!". I really don't get the logic. For clarification , read my response to somebody on a William Bradford Bishop thread. I have never, ever thought Ro wa s asuspect in this case. From the very first time I saw this I concluded in about 20 seconds he was not responsible in any way. To say Rob is responsible is like saying Angela's mother is resonsible because she did not have a phone in the house. I am sure Rob is now married to someone else and I think there is nothing suspicious about that in any way. Not moving on (especially now that it is nearly 20 years later) would be unhealthy fo rhim. I know a part of him will always grieve. Some clown on this forum presented some elaborate theory about Rob dressing up in disguise to kidnap Angie. That is the second most absurd thing I have ever read on this forum (the first being a post in the William Bradford Bishop thread I mentioned earlier). I apologize that "Angry Marlin" has emerged in my last few posts on this message board. I know everyone is allowed to hold an opinion. But some theories are just so wet that dismissing them is rather easy. As Bob Bean would say, "I knew what I had and I was eager to pass it on, ok."

Angela's own mother never suspected Rob either. I am sorry, but to dwell on Rob at this point is fruitless. He did not do it. Also, rob was not the last person to see Angela alive. He wa sthe last person to talk to her but she left and went somehwere after dropping Rob off at his house. This was prior to her making the ill-fated phone call. Many thanks go out to Angela's brother Loren for posting on here as well.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
marlins3
Forum Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
I am not sure how things work in Norway but what are you talking about Rob Schafer cannot be cleared? We are an innocent until proven guilty society. Sure he could be cleared. His car, his transmission was severely damaged. I will say, for an 18 year old kid to do what you are accusing him of he would have to be pretty damn smart. He would have to have incredible foresight that a person that age simply would not have.

Rob Shafer did eventually move on yes, well that is if you consider him getting a new woman in his life moving on. I have yet to see how that makes him or anyone else guilty in and of itself. Yes he did eventually marry I believe and I am not sure if he stayed in Missouri or if he moved elsewhere or what?

However I mean to have the foresight to come up with the story he did, I do not think it was unusual that no one in town saw him. This was a small town, it was a weeknight, the downtown area at that time of night even in the relative early evening would have been deserted as most of the shops would have been closed, traffic would have been light. This was before the days most of the general public had cell phones so using a pay phone was not at all unusual. I am assuming the police checked with the pay phone company to check the records and I am assuming there was a record of someone using that pay phone to make a call to Rob's house. Also there were witnesses BEFORE the abduction who saw Angie using the pay phones.

You seem to get confused making someone a suspect and clearing them. Yes the police had reason to make Rob Schafer a suspect. He was her boyfriend, she was pregnant and presumably he was the father of the child, he was the last person KNOWN to have talked to her before the alleged abduction. However again, someone told him these details about the bearded, dirty looking man driving a lime green and white Ford Pickup with a mural in the back window of a fish jumping out of water. Those are very specific details.

Comparing Rob Schafer to Donnie Hansen is simply not even close to a fair comparison. I am an innocent until proven guilty believer, I am pro defense but wow, Donnie's lawyer must have been F. Lee Bailey or the prosecutor stunk to lose that case. I have seen people convicted of murder charges off of WAY less than what they had on Donnie Hansen.

That was not just a circumstantial case. I mean who was in possession of the murder weapon the night of the murder? Donnie Hansen. Who purchased the shotgun shells used to kill his sisters? Donnie Hansen. Who purchased the gas can and the gasoline used to start the fire? Donnie Hansen. On top of that who tried sneaking back into the shop allegedly to feed the family dog even though he knew the dog had been moved to a neighbors and was not there? Donnie Hansen. Why? It is because he knew the shotgun was in there because he put the gun in there after he shot his sisters and started the trailer on fire. He did not know the cops had already found the gun and removed it from the shop.

I mean to me, it is pretty incredible he was convicted in that case because as I said, I have seen many people convicted off of way less than what they had on Donnie Hansen. Now, whether or not Donnie was alone or not in this plot is the big question. I actually lean towards the theory that he was not. I guess this is why the jury acquitted but it still comes as a surprise to me because the D.A. sought the death penalty. To do that, you need a 'death qualified' jury. So the jurors at least claimed that in the event they convicted they would be willing to potentially recommend the defendant be sentenced to death. Since people that believe in the death penalty overall tend to be more conservative they also tend to be more likely to convict.

The jury in Donnie's case came out of Alameda County, California (Oakland and parts of the East Bay Area, San Leandro, Hayward, Fremont, Newark, Union City, Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore, etc.) It is unclear whether the trial was held in Oakland or if the jury was brought up from Alameda County to Humboldt County to Eureka for the trial? Alameda County is at least 200 miles south of Humboldt County.

Anyway, sorry for dragging on off topic but I wanted to show how Rob Schafer and Donnie Hansen in their separate respects are really not fair to compare. By the way, you do not see this very often but it seems that once in a while pursuing the death penalty actually backfires for the prosecution. Look at the case of Danny White in San Francisco who killed Mayor George Moscone and City Supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978. When he was arrested he was charged with two counts of first degree murder and the prosecutors sought the death penalty.

Sounds good right? Well one problem they did not take into account. When they pursued the death penalty they obviously had to get a death qualified jury. San Francisco as everyone knows is probably the most or certainly one of the most liberal areas in the United States, then and now. However in 1978, there was a small but solid conservative bloc there who were not found of Moscone and Milk and other liberals as they had felt they had turned the city upside down. So when the death penalty was sought, the prosecutors knew they were getting conservative people on that jury but they did not count on the fact that conservative people also were likely to view the victims a lot less sympathetically than liberals would. As a result, White was convicted of the lesser charges of voluntary manslaughter and was later sentenced to 10 years in prison. He was released after serving 5 and killed himself a couple of years after his release.

Well said. I thought the exact same thing when I read the post cmparing Rob Shaefer to Donnie Hansen. You and I share teh same opinion of Donnie. Congrats for being right
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
liv1527
Occasional Poster

I'm sure not a day goes by that Rob doesn't feel bad enough about the way everything went down the night Angela was abducted. Even 20 years later, I'm sure he still carries this with him. But I truly never belived he was a real suspect. Just someone the police has to rule out. How anyone can think he couldn't move on with someone new is beyond me. Is he supposed to grieve himself to death?
liv1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
slasherman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I have seen smarter homicide than this from younger people. If you mean cleared as not a suspect, I really cannot understand how anybody can rule him out. What happened to the transmission I think Rob Schafer used to fit his story. The thing with the transmission happened but not the way Rob is telling.

Quote:
The point is how long after the incident did he get a new girlfriend and maybe already got one when he was with Angela.

Quote:
If the witnesses saw Angela why did they not see the green pick up truck? I think they saw someone else. If somebody called from that phone boot i think it was Rob.

Quote:
Angela told him these details about the bearded, dirty looking man driving a lime green and white Ford Pickup. Strange conversation if you ask me. So it was not just some witness and again Rob was the last known witness in the case. He was also the last(and only) person to see the the green pick up truck. He was about two meters from it when it drove towards him in the opposite direction. Then at the most crucial and important moment of his life the transmission failed. Sometimes when a story is too unbelievable it is simply not true.
And remember Angela is NO witness in this case she is missing.

Quote:
The reason I compare Donnie Hansen and Rob Schafer is that I find the stories they are telling is so unbelievable it cannot be true. I don't think the story Donnie is telling sounds more fantastic than the story Rob is telling. The comparison are probably not completely fair but it was just to point out something. The point is when a story is too unbelievable to be true it is probably not true..

Rob Schafer:
- The last one to speak to Angela
- Not calling the police before it was all over
- The last one to see Angela
- The only one that has been described the killers look
- The only one to see the pick up truck
- Was two meter from the abductor
- Car broke down on crucial moment
- Soon to be father
- And when I saw him interviewed on UM I did not see a face of an innocent man like many of you did.

The Abductor (the bearded, dirty looking man)
This bogeyman has to be one of the most amateurish killers out there. Why did he not wait for Angela to hang up the phone? Even though all other people had called the police when something like this had happened, Rob did not. Why did the abductor not neutralize Angela before putting her in his front seat? Having a woman kicking and screaming in the front seat while driving seems unlikely.
They way the abductor act just seems wrong and the way he looks seems wrong (cliche of a bad guy). They only way I can explain this is because it is part of Rob's imagination.
slasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #22
Jediknight1823
Forum Regular

^Actually Rob wasn't the only one who saw the truck.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1299dfmo.html

It says 2 other people saw the truck, and a man similar to the description Angela gave Rob.
Jediknight1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #23
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Slasherman again, you seem to not understand the point I am trying to make. Why can Rob Schafer not be ruled out? You have yet to explain this to me. Frankly I do not see what is so implausible about Rob's story. It was looked at very carefully and yes Rob was the prime suspect for a while as he should have been due the circumstances of him being Angie's boyfriend, him being the father of her unborn child etc. However you act like he was never looked at it when that is simply not true. He was looked at very carefully, there was simply nothing there other than innuendo so he was ruled out. That is what should happen in every case. That does not mean he is ruled out for good, forever, what it does mean is that until something more solid comes forward, he is ruled out.

What I do not get is why you think it is so odd that Angie would tell him the description. Remember, according to Rob, SHE told him there was a truck that kept circling the block and that she was a little nervous about it. I bet you Rob has kicked himself in the rear a million times for not going down there and investigating. However if you are saying that it makes him responsible for not going down there to check it out that is ridiculous. I mean, is he psychic? How did he know his girlfriend was going to be abducted? He didn't! Hence why he did not go down there. He and Angie both thought at first the guy was probably just lost or something. It is not unheard of for someone to get lost even in a rural area.

However when the truck pulled up to the phones that is when Angie got really freaked. So Rob asked her what the driver looked like and she told him. Rob was not there so the fact he gave a general description was based off of what Angie told him. Other witnesses by the way saw the truck and that driver, at least two, they did not see the abduction but they saw a similar truck and a similar looking man. Mind you this was at night, so naturally you are not going to see something as well at night as you would during the day.

Frankly, I do not get what you find so implausible about it. It seems to me you think he did it more because a suspect did not pan out so you automatically assume he did it. I assume you thought he was guilty because he did not sit there and ball his eyes out. You could tell by his lip, he was emotional he was trying to control his emotions. This is one thing that bugs the hell out of me. You do not like his emotions or lack of them so you instantly assume he must have done it. How does someone look like a guilty or innocent man? Explain that one to me. Are you psychic?

Also, his cars transmission was out. That is something you cannot fake, either it is out or it is not. His car remained in the same spot. It was checked, it was out. I suppose he faked the tranny going out too and then parked it on a public street waiting to be busted. Rob did what popped into his head first. He heard the scream on the phone and he bolted. I mean what good is it going to do to call the police when you hear a scream and you do not know anything else to tell them? I do not see anything abnormal about him not having the knee jerk reaction to call the police.

Wow the bogeyman. Ridiculous. Again slasherman, you seem to be flinging crap against the wall hoping some of it sticks. Why you are so desperate to believe in Rob Schafer's guilt off of no real evidence is beyond me. Mind you, Angie was seen at a certain time, Rob Schafer was seen with his own car broke down in the street only minutes later! How would he have time to do away with Angie and not have her body be found? Ridiculous.

Comparing Donnie Hansen to Rob Schafer is another ridiculous comparison on your part. Donnie Hansen, there was physical evidence against him, there was tangible evidence that was not part of a he said/she said scenario. He bought the gas can, he bought the gas, he purchased the shotgun shells, all of this was documented. He was in possession of the murder weapon that night by his own admission as well as the admission of the friend that loaned up the gun. Plus Donnie Hansen trying to sneak back into his own shed to get the gun because 1. He knew it was there because he placed it there in an effort to hide it and 2. He wanted to get rid of the gun so that the slugs could not be traced to that gun.

Name an example where you have seen a person that was Rob's age (18) and pull off a brilliant homicide? You will be hard pressed to find one. Yes people that age kill but usually the killings are quite sloppy because to be honest, I would think a person that age would be an inexperienced killer and particularly in a killing that was not planned out far in advance they would not have the time or foresight to cover up certain things, come up with certain details, etc.

Also, why is it a crime for Rob Schafer to move on? Yes Rob Schafer did eventually marry someone else, I believe it was 5 or 6 years after Angie's disappearance but I hardly see how this makes him guilty. You act like Angie was missing and that he was pulling a Scott Peterson or something and calling his mistress on the phone during the search or that he shacked up with another chick weeks after she disappeared. Total nonsense. Sorry man but your theory just does not hold water.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasherman
I The reason I compare Donnie Hansen and Rob Schafer is that I find the stories they are telling is so unbelievable it cannot be true. I don't think the story Donnie is telling sounds more fantastic than the story Rob is telling.
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I couldn't agree with you less on this.

Donnie Hansen may have been found "not guilty" by a court, but he is one of the most guilty people ever featured on UM. The evidence (both circumstantial and otherwise) support this. I will never know why he was acquitted but everything he did points to his guilt, literally and figuratively.

Rob Schafer's story while being unique does stand up under scrutiny. Her parents believe him, the cops believed him, and frankly, if he wanted to kill her there would have been much easier ways to do it without being so complex or having the chance to be exposed.

I'm not saying there is NO WAY that Rob did this, but to compare these two is like comparing OJ and David Duwaliby. You have a "we all know he did it" vs. "there is a chance he may have done it."

I respect your views on Rob Schafer, but to say he is no different than Donnie Hansen is... well... in the words of Donnie Hansen: "Ludicrous."
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
mattc
Forum Regular

The "is Rob guilty" issue ends for me when I read, repeatedly, that "the cops have cleared Rob of any involvement in the case." The Doe Network says that the cops investigated him for a week, so in my mind, they are convinced he did not have anything to do with this: My guess is he took a polygraph, plus you have the other witnesses who also saw the truck and the man around the phone booth. He was babysitting his brother, if I recall, so there's his testimony... I mean, I'm sure that the cops would have preferred it be the boyfriend than to have the town think that a psycho killer is on the loose in that small town. I am sure that the cops would not say that he had nothing to do with the crime unless they were absolutely, abundantly sure.

Those few of you posting and saying Rob should still be a suspect are basing it on things like "his story was weird," or "he didn't seem innocent in the segment." Come on... this board is great because of the sound arguments, and those aren't sound.

Have you noticed how, on UM, when someone is still a suspect, they make it a point to mention it: this person "remains a suspect." Well, they were quick to say that Rob no longer was a suspect, so the police were convinced 20 years ago that he had nothing to do with this, and yet some of you still argue, 20 years later, that he did it??? Come one guys.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Necco

Those of you who doubt Rob's story because he went after her without calling the cops first, please remember that logic doesn't always reign in such situations. People's first reactions aren't always the best ones. How many people died trying to get out the front door of the Station nightclub instead of looking for a closer emergency exit? They tried to go out the door they came in. Simple equation "Need to leave, go to where I came in"

I feel confident in thinking that's Rob's entire thought process was "Angela in danger-GET TO ANGELA" It's an understandable reaction. Even if he is cool as a cucumber, he may have thought "If I call 911 I have to explain everything, that'll take 2-3 minutes, then the cops have to get into their cars (another few minutes) and get to her (another few minutes), I can just go now and be there in 2 minutes."

He's one of the few significant others on UM that I didn't think was guilty as sin.
Just my opinion.
-Necco
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #27
Bleedingheart
Frequent Poster

The Kansas City Star October 4, 1991

Edition: METROPOLITAN
Section: NATIONAL/WORLD
Page: A1
Topics:
Index Terms:
Kidnapping

Family of missing woman hasn't given up hope Angela Hammond vanished 6 months ago.

Author: LANE BEAUCHAMP; Springfield Correspondent

Article Text:CLINTON, Mo. - Day by day, those who know Angela Hammond try to get on with their lives. Her fiance trains for the military. Her mother plans a long-delayed vacation. Her best friend seeks work in Colorado. And yet they can't forget the night, six months ago today, when Hammond vanished just a few blocks from this west-central Missouri town's square. She hasn't been seen or heard from since. "I know the statistics aren't good at this point for finding her, but until something happens, you can't give up," Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook, said this week. "The hope is always going to be there. " Hammond, 20, disappeared about 11:45 p.m. on April 4. Police think she was abducted while talking to her fiance from a pay telephone in supermarket parking lot. Hammond's fiance heard her scream, then the line went dead.

The disappearance sparked an intensive air and ground search across the region for days. A special team of investigators - including Highway Patrol officers and federal agents - dug into the case. A reward fund topped $16,000. Authorities also searched unsuccessfully for possible links to two similar disappearances in western Missouri. In Nevada, a convenience store worker disappeared after closing up shop Feb. 27. In Macks Creek, Mo., another convenience store worker was robbed and abducted Jan. 19. Her body was found in the Little Niangua River two days later. Those cases also remain unsolved. Investigators said this week that although similarities exist among the three cases, there still is no concrete evidence to connect the crimes. And so far no solid clues in Hammond's case have been found.

Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said the investigation was no further along today than it was a few weeks after Hammond was abducted. "There's someone out there who has information, but they just may not realize it," Parsons said. "Until they come forward or until she's found, there really is not much more we could do. " Authorities and Hammond's friends and family are now pinning their hopes on network television for leads in the case. The NBC-TV program "Unsolved Mysteries" will be in Clinton next week to re-enact the kidnapping. The episode is tentatively set to air in early December. "Hopefully somebody will see this and have some information," said Hammond's stepmother, Kathy Hammond, of Olathe. "We feel so helpless and frustrated because there isn't anything we can do. Maybe this show will bring some answers. " But the show may bring false hope. David Rader, one of the program's producers, said only two of 49 missing-persons cases presented on the show have been solved. Police are looking for a late 1960s model Ford pickup with a water or outdoor scene in the rear window and possibly with a white top. The truck may have damage to its left front fender.

Two witnesses told police they saw a white man with a mustache wearing a dark-colored baseball-style cap sitting in the truck near the telephone booth Hammond was using. The witnesses' description is similar to one Hammond gave her fiance moments before the line went dead. The lingering investigation has left Hammond's friends and family in a state of limbo. "I guess you think time will heal everything, but we're six months down the road now and I'm still not any better," Cook said. "It's still just a roller coaster of emotions. " This week Cook was planning her first vacation since her daughter disappeared. She won a trip to Florida through her work, but leaving was not an easy decision to make.

"I need some time to step back, but it was hard to decide to go out of town," Cook said. "I was convinced, though, that it would be OK to leave for a couple of days, and I really need that time. " Rob Shafer, Hammond's fiance, has been training as a National Guardsman at Fort Eustis, Va., since June. Attempts to reach him by telephone this week were unsuccessful. But Hammond's mother said Shafer seems to be taking the disappearance hard. "He's kind of shut himself off," Cook said. Posters still hang in storefront windows here and at truck stops and rest areas across the Midwest. Police have checked possible sightings of Hammond as far as Texas and looked into suspects in and out of prison. Conservation agents patrolling the area's hills and lakes are routinely reminded of the case. "At least I know people are still out there looking," Cook said.
Bleedingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
Mastermind

The only reason why Rob was even considered a suspect is because he was the last person to see her alive. That's it. Nothing else points to him being a suspect.

Quote:
Those of you who doubt Rob's story because he went after her without calling the cops first, please remember that logic doesn't always reign in such situations. People's first reactions aren't always the best ones. How many people died trying to get out the front door of the Station nightclub instead of looking for a closer emergency exit? They tried to go out the door they came in. Simple equation "Need to leave, go to where I came in"
The typical response for most males when their wife, girlfriend, child or mother is in danger is to reach out and solve the problem right away. Personally I would have the same response.

People only call 9-11 when the danger has been verified. All Rob knew at the moment was that Angela screamed.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #29
FanfromES
televidente
Frequent Poster

I wouldnt clear Rob as a suspect because he looked sincere in his UM interview, or because Angela's parents thought he got nothing to do with her disappearence. Or because he was too young to get away with such an evil plan...

I guess that UM didnt tell us everything, maybe there is a record of the phone call so his story was confirmed, there was those witnesses who saw the same pickup truck...etc

Remember that UM was just a TV show, it wasnt a serious crime presentation for investigative purposes.

I agree with Slasherman that the story sounds too fantastic to be real, but again, i guess the police cleared Rob because they did their homework. If thats not the situation, it wont be the first case where new evidence points to people previously cleared as suspects.
FanfromES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #30
Mastermind

Quote:
I wouldnt clear Rob as a suspect because he looked sincere in his UM interview, or because Angela's parents thought he got nothing to do with her disappearence. Or because he was too young to get away with such an evil plan...

I guess that UM didnt tell us everything, maybe there is a record of the phone call so his story was confirmed, there was those witnesses who saw the same pickup truck...etc

Remember that UM was just a TV show, it wasnt a serious crime presentation for investigative purposes.

I agree with Slasherman that the story sounds too fantastic to be real, but again, i guess the police cleared Rob because they did their homework. If thats not the situation, it wont be the first case where new evidence points to people previously cleared as suspects.
1. I find it hard to believe he fabricated this story and wasn't even caught in one lie. Usually liars try to keep the story simple.

2. I have to imagine that the damage to his car was real and that his car was found exactly where he left it. Further bolstering his story. Not to mention finger prints. And yes, I'm almost 100% positive they checked the phone records.

3. The description of the painted window is to elaborate for him to have made up on the spot. Not to mention he was very vague about the paintings details. Not to mention there were other suspects that verified that detail.

Your innocent until proven guilty. The ONLY reason Rob is a suspect is that he was the last person to be in contact with her when she was alive. I need more to go on for Rob to be considered a suspect.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote