Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Icon

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default SitcomsOnline.com 2009-10 Upfront Preview: Fox

We have posted our thoughts, please take a look:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...0-upfront.html

Fox will have their upfront next Monday (May 18). So check back with us for the official schedule.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
browneyes106
Forum Veteran

The only shows that really interest me are Glee and The Cleveland Show.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Brent88
Forum Celebrity

Yuck. I HATE much of Tuesdays/Thursdays. I would do this:

Tuesdays

Comedies
Fringe(too creepy for 8)

Wednesdays

Glee
Lie to Me

Thursdays

Bones
Kitchen Nightmares
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Icon

Fox Fall is usually "yuck." So that is how I predict they will go. Is that how I would have done the schedule? Absolutely not. It never goes the way you seem you think it would go.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!
Forum Veteran

Your schedule sounds good, Pavan. Knowing FOX, though, they could do anything for fall. January is pretty predictable at FOX, though.

Definitely gameshows on Fridays again. Til Death should probably go to Sundays at 7pm, as they're nothing else but burnoff. FOX is airing Lie to Me repeats Thursdays at 8pm in late summer, with Bones repeats back on Wednesdays at 8pm - could this be a sign of what they'll be doing in the fall?

Kitchen Nightmares I'd probably leave on Thursdays at 9pm. It isn't a winner in total viewers by no means, but with CSI declining, it could definitely snatch up some of that demo, the same demo Hell's Kitchen always does wonderfully in.

Watch:

Medium, Fridays at 9pm, on CBS!
Big Bang Theory, Mondays at 9:30pm, on CBS!
The Mentalist, Thursdays at 10pm, on CBS!
Old Christine, Wednesdays at 8pm, on CBS!
ABC's Comedy Lineup, Starting Wednesdays at 8:30pm, on ABC!
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
mgsports
Frequent Poster

Sunday's Cartoons
Monday's Fringe and Glee and is canceled then can show reruns of a show intill 24 comes back.
Tuesdays House and Kitchen Nightmares on intill American IDOL comes back
Wednesday's Lie To Me and Bones
Thursday's Game Shows
Friday's Comedies just in case ABC doesn't bring back TGIF.
Saturday's add 7pm with News Magazine
mgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
TV DVD Fan

I don't think Lie to Me will be moved. I think it does well enough on Wednesday and Thursday is always a weird night for Fox with stupid shows like Bones and in the spring they usually need to work in Hell's Kitchen so Lie to Me would probably eventually be moved if it was rescheduled in the fall for Fox's experimental day (Thurs.). It won't be moved to Mondays either since 24 and House do so well for them--- they ain't gonna fix it if it ain't broken. That basically leaves only Tues. and Wed. open for Lie to Me--- and Tues. is another of Fox's experimental days due to Idol's mid-season takeover. Wednesday is Lie to Me's day, Monday is reserved for House and 24, and Tues. and Thurs. are usually reserved for horrible shows that Fox knows will be canceled my mid-season or moved to a day like Friday to make room for its big money-maker, Idol. My one sincere hope is that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles isn't replaced by a new stupid comedy (like Til' Death) just because it's low-budget and we all know that Fox really doesn't care about the new shows they introduce--- the only reason they greenlight some of those stupid comedies or **** like the Osbournes Reloaded is to fill a timeslot. Terminator wasn't a stupid filler show, it was a deep exploration of human surivival and hope, a story of how a mother and son cope in a constantly changing world, and a fantastic action-adventure show as well. I'm still holding on to a little bit of hope for its renewal, but let's face it, we're dealing with Fox here and it's probably as good as terminated. But I will be fuming if Fox replaces it with one of the aforementioned filler shows.

Does anyone else think that Fox should give Terminator and Dollhouse another shot?

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV DVD Fan
Does anyone else think that Fox should give Terminator and Dollhouse another shot?
Not happening.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Yobb
Occasional Poster

I absolutley don't understand what do you do with Fringe starting january ?
"Fringe will leave in January". Do you think the show will be cancelled ???
Because I don't think FOX will have aired the full season before January !

And if FOX announced 22 new episodes for Fringe but plans to cancel it in january, this is stupid.
Yobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Icon

I just don't think Fringe will last 22 episodes next season. Just because 22 episodes are ordered, doesn't mean all 22 will air or even produced if the show starts off flat. If it is subpar, Fringe will for sure be moving in January, if not totally pulled.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbadal
I just don't think Fringe will last 22 episodes next season. Just because 22 episodes are ordered, doesn't mean all 22 will air or even produced if the show starts off flat. If it is subpar, Fringe will for sure be moving in January, if not totally pulled.
I agree. Fringe is a bust after Idol. But, it would look much better if it can maintain or grow out of that 9 million in the fall.
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Icon

this what Fox will do

Sunday
at 6:00 pm CT NFL Runover or Aminated Encores
at 7:00 pm CT The Simpsons
at 7:30 pm CT America Dad
at 8:00 pm CT Family Guy
at 8:30 pm CT The Cleveland Show

on Monday
at 7:00 pm CT House
at 8:00 pm CT Human Target

on Tuesday Night
at 7:00 pm CT Fringe
at 8:00 pm CT Sons of Tucson
at 8:30 pm CT Brothers

on Wednesday
at 7:00 pm CT Glee
at 8:00 pm CT Kitchen Nightmare

on Thursday
at 7:00 pm CT Bones
at 8:00 pm CT Lie To Me

on Friday
at 7:00 pm CT Are You Smarter then a 5th Grader
at 8:00 pm CT Don't Forget The Lyrics!

on Saturday
at 7:00 pm CT Cops
at 7:30 pm CT Cops
at 8:00 pm CT America's Most Wanted
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Mr. Television
17 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Addict

It looks like Fox might renew Dollhouse afterall. I'm stunned.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollh...nd-season.html

May 15, 2009
Surprise: Fox leaning toward 'Dollhouse' renewal
In an underdog comeback that blows away NBC’s will-they-or-won’t-they hand-wringing over “Chuck” (psst, they almost certainly will), sources say Fox is -- and this could change before Monday's upfront presentation -- leaning toward bringing back Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse” next fall.

The low-rated Friday night show was last seen given up for dead by the media in a field somewhere.

But its DVR numbers are strong, online streaming is strong. It’s a sci-fi show, which tend to bring in nice ancillary revenue such as DVD sales for sister-company studio 20th TV. And it’s said that Fox execs rather like the series, especially the latter half of the season. Besides, a show airing in the fall on Fox is a bit like running in midseason on most networks -- it’s not their strongest part of the year and maybe ... maybe ...

All right, fine.

A “Dollhouse” pickup would be stunning, and tough to explain based on the show's ratings, which concluded at a 1.0 among adults 18-49. Maybe Fox executives are just sick of being vilified on Whedonesque.com. Maybe Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly, who wisely renewed “The Office” at NBC after a disastrous first season, knows something we don’t.

Either way, we love that the “Dollhouse” decision is turning from a presumed demise into an 11th-hour negotiation. To paraphrase Hannibal Lecter: The broadcast world is a more interesting place with Joss Whedon in it.

What’s to talk about?

Well, money, of course.

Fox wants “Dollhouse” cheaper.

All the networks want every show cheaper this year, if they can haggle it.

Which night "Dollhouse" would air on is unclear, though hopefully the series will not return to Friday. It's tough to see "Dollhouse" surviving a summer hiatus followed by a return to the Friday gulag.

Fox's official decision could go down to the wire before Monday; will post updates this weekend if the winds shift, but as of Friday morning ... the rough draft plan of Fox's fall includes Joss Whedon's show.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
TV DVD Fan

A ray of hope for Dollhouse at least. But Pav, what I don't understand is why Fox moved Terminator to Fridays in the first place. It sometimes seems like they WANTED the show to fail. They NEVER promoted it... they NEVER took advantage of the fact that a new movie was coming out until the night of the season finale when they aired the sneak preview of Salvation, and they sent it to Friday nights, where not even shows as bad as 'Til Death are sentenced to live out the rest of their existences. Terminator was a good, quality show that could've been a gold mine for Fox... but nobody seemed to care since Fox didn't seem to care. But I believe numbers for the season finale were pretty good compared to the rest of the latter half of the season. Terminator always does good amongst DVR ratings and the Season 2 DVD set already hit the top 100 on Amazon (at one point it was number 12). If Dollhouse has a shot at renewal, I think Fox should realize the err of their ways and give Terminator a better shot on a BETTER night. Interest for the Terminator mythos is just now peaking with Salvation only a week away. I just don't understand Fox--- probably never will.
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Mr. Television
17 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Addict

It looks like Dollhouse got renewed.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollh...nd-season.html

Surprise: Fox RENEWS 'Dollhouse'
UPDATED: In a stunning move, sources say Fox has renewed Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse” for next fall.

The official announcement will not be made until Monday at the network's upfront presentation, but sources confirm a deal has been struck for another 13 episodes. Fox plans to continue the show on Fridays next fall.

The low-rated series was last seen given up for dead by the media in a field somewhere.

But the show's DVR numbers are huge (averaging a 40% bump), online streaming is strong. It’s a sci-fi show, which tend to bring in strong ancillary revenue such as DVD sales for sister-company studio 20th TV. And it’s said that Fox execs rather like the series, especially the latter half of the season. Besides, a show airing in the fall on Fox is a bit like running in midseason on most networks -- it’s not the network's strongest part of the year and maybe ... maybe ...

All right, fine.

The move is tougher to explain than most, especially based on the show's ratings. A “Dollhouse” pickup is a shock, an underdog comeback that blows away NBC’s will-they-or-won’t-they hand-wringing over “Chuck” (psst, they almost certainly will). In fact, "Dollhouse" might very well be the lowest-rated in-season scripted drama to ever get a renewal on a major broadcast network. Almost certainly if based on where the show concluded -- a 1.0 among adults 18-49.

Basically this is a case of a bunch of minor decision-making factors successfully ganging up on the biggest factor (ratings). In addition to DVD sales, streaming and DVR influences, Fox received some serious budget concessions from 20th TV and Whedon to continue the show, with 20th now shouldering a greater portion of the load.

Another factor was the show's unaired 13th episode, which Whedon shot on a shoestring budget for the "Dollhouse" first season DVD set. Whedon presented it to the network as an example of how "Dollhouse" can achieve a high-quality production with a lesser budget.

The renewal also means Fox is bringing back all three of its freshman dramas for a second season -- "Fringe," "Lie to Me" and "Dollhouse" -- which is a nice boast in challenging year for broadcasters.

Along with NBC renewing low-rated "Friday Night Lights," and strongly considering modestly performing "Chuck," and the CW stations considering bringing back very weakly rated "Reaper," there's seeming trend this spring toward networks looking beyond live-viewing ratings when contemplating the fate of shows with passionate fanbases that they can monetize in non-traditional ways.

Last year, in the wake of CBS canceling fan favorites "Jericho" and "Moonlight," the sense was that vocal minorities could no longer sway the suits.

This year, cult TV shows have been like creatures in a George Romero movie; you can never trust that they're dead.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote