Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Stars from Fan-Favorite Series Reunite on It's a Wonderful Lifetime; HGTV's A Very Brady Contest
FXX Comedy Archer Gets 11th Season; TBS Sets Date for Comedy Game Show with The Good Place Star
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default SitcomsOnline.com 2008-09 Upfront Preview: The CW

We have posted our thoughts, please take a look:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...pfront_06.html

The CW will have their upfront next Tuesday (May 13). So check back with us for the official schedule. CBS' preview is tomorrow.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Brent88
Forum Veteran

That looks pretty good for what they have. The CW is in very very sad shape. If they don't find some hits soon(a real hit, not something like Gossip Girl), they aren't going to be around long.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!

I think the 90210 spinoff will do really well for them. The original was huge, I'm sure the premiere at least will hit a record for the CW. Not sure about anything else, though. Looks like a good schedule for what they have to work with, though. Not sure about the sitcoms, though. They need another sitcom block. They shouldn't have cancelled Girlfriends (it's getting higher than both Chris and Aliens for a repeat on Sundays!), and they mabye could have made another sitcom block possibly on Friday nights.

Watch:

Medium, Fridays at 9pm, on CBS!
Big Bang Theory, Mondays at 9:30pm, on CBS!
The Mentalist, Thursdays at 10pm, on CBS!
Old Christine, Wednesdays at 8pm, on CBS!
ABC's Comedy Lineup, Starting Wednesdays at 8:30pm, on ABC!
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Brent88
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseanne88-97
I think the 90210 spinoff will do really well for them. The original was huge, I'm sure the premiere at least will hit a record for the CW.
I completely agree, the 90210 spinoff is the ONLY hope they have. The show needs to be good to keep the audience though(assuming it does premiere big). I've heard the script reviews are negative.
Brent88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
DSfan

They are pretty stupid considering they have no sitcoms and are cancelling Aliens in America, which is actually a good show.

Also, if they need to be airing reality shows, they shouldn't cancel Beauty and the Geek, a show that is fun to watch and entertaining, in my opinion at least.

This channel really makes no sense it is probably doing worse than WB/UPN used to and I don't get how they managed to start off with double the programming from the 2 stations and now hardly have enough for 1 station.
DSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Aside from 90210 I'm looking forward to Smallville to find out how it will do without Lex and Lana.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
mgsports
Frequent Poster

Friday's TGIF?
Saturday primetime Programming?
Monday's or Thursday's Primetime Comedy Block?
Bring back Life Wild and Summerville or what ever it was called because it had Rebecca from Full House on it.
mgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSfan
They are pretty stupid considering they have no sitcoms and are cancelling Aliens in America, which is actually a good show.

Also, if they need to be airing reality shows, they shouldn't cancel Beauty and the Geek, a show that is fun to watch and entertaining, in my opinion at least.

This channel really makes no sense it is probably doing worse than WB/UPN used to and I don't get how they managed to start off with double the programming from the 2 stations and now hardly have enough for 1 station.
IMO, they are actually making good decisions by cancelling AIA and BATG. Both shows have underperformed their entire season. BATG completely bombed this season, so did AIA - both deserve to go.
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
tbswatcher
Forum Regular

Here's my take on The CW:

Sundays
7:00pm America's Next Top Model (Encore of last weeks)
8:00pm America's Next Top Model
9:00pm How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls (NEW)

A good combo.

Mondays
8:00pm 90210 (NEW)
9:00pm Gossip Girl

Two shows about the drama of HS kids

Tuesdays
8:00pm One Tree Hill
9:00pm Reaper

Wednesdays
8:00pm Smallville
9:00pm Supernatural

A good combo to keep.

Thursdays
8:00pm Styledome (NEW)
9:00pm Beauty and the Geek

Fridays
8:00pm Everybody Hates Chris (Repeats)
8:30pm Everybody Hates Chris (NEW EP)
9:00pm Aliens in America
9:30pm The Game

Friday Night sitcoms worked on the WB so maybe it will for the CW.

What does everyone think?
tbswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Brent88
Forum Veteran

CW to sell off Sunday night
Conglomerate will develop programming, sell ads
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Long a low-rated night for the CW, the net is planning to radically alter how it does business on Sundays.

The CW is close to sealing a deal with an as-yet unnamed media buyer to take over the night. Under the deal, the CW would sell the 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. block to an advertising conglom, which would turn around and develop programming and sell ad time.

In some ways the plan is a throwback to the early days of TV, when advertisers were more involved in programming primetime. More recently, UPN initially sold the slot for "WWE Smackdown" to World Wrestling Entertainment as a time buy.

Time buys have become the norm on Saturday mornings, where nets like NBC and Fox have sold their Saturday morning kids blocks to outside companies. The CW will do the same thing beginning this fall, when 4Kids takes over the block that had been Kids' WB.

Decision to sell the Sunday primetime block is an acknowledgement that the night has been a tough one for the CW - and before that, the WB, which also struggled to gain ratings traction there.

Deal would allow the CW to focus its attention on Monday through Friday nights. CW has been looking to create more weekday flow on its sked, and believes it will be able to do so after "Smackdown" departs its lineup at the end of September.

Time buy also allows the CW to maintain a presence on Sunday nights, rather than give the night back to affils.

The CW could not be reached for comment.
Brent88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

here is what I am thinking for The CW
on Sunday
at 4:00 pm To Be Announced
at 5:00 pm To Be Announced
at 6:00 pm America's Top Model Repeat from Last Week
at 7:00 pm Styldome
at 8:00 pm The Game
at 8:30 pm The Game Repeat

On Monday
at 7:00 pm 90210
at 8:00 pm Gossip Girl

On Tuesday
at 7:00 pm Reaper
at 8:00 pm One Tree Hill

On Wednesday
at 7:00 pm How To Teach Filthy Rich Girl
at 8:00 pm Amercia's Top Model

on Thursday
at 7:00 pm Smallevill
at 8:00 pm Supernatural

on Friday
at 7:00 pm Everyone Heat's Chris
at 7:30 pm Everyone Heat's Chris Repeat
at 8:00 pm Reaper Repeat
Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

THE CW TO PARTNER WITH MEDIA RIGHTS CAPITAL FOR ORIGINAL

PRIMETIME PROGRAMMING SUNDAY NIGHTS

STRATEGIC PROGRAMMING ALLIANCE WILL LAUNCH SUNDAY NIGHT LINEUP FOR 2008-09 SEASON WITH FOUR NEW SHOWS FROM MRC

May 9, 2008 (Burbank, CA) — The CW is aligning with Media Rights Capital to program its Sunday night primetime programming block for the 2008-09 broadcast television season. The strategic alliance between the two companies will take effect in Fall 2008 and feature four new programs—two comedies and two dramas—from top producers and creative talent. The joint announcement was made today by Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, The CW, John Maatta, Chief Operating Officer, The CW and Keith Samples, President, Television, Media Rights Capital.

“This is a strategic move by The CW that will give viewers more original programming on Sunday nights than we have ever had,” said Ostroff. “As the leading independent producer of television programming, MRC will bring a slate of high-quality entertainment to our air on the most competitive night on television, while we will focus our resources and efforts on strengthening our Monday through Friday schedule.”

“This kind of alliance is becoming common in our business, and it’s a win for all involved—affiliates, advertisers and viewers,” said Maatta. “It will also allow our sales team more opportunity to capitalize on our new Friday night schedule with the departure of wrestling, as that is such a critical night for retailers and marketers with a weekend product push.”

“We are thrilled to team with The CW and bring our new shows to their air,” said Samples. “Our blend of comedy and drama will be exciting, accessible and a perfect fit for the network and its affiliate constituency. We have been building momentum at MRC and will continue to drive our business with innovative partnerships like this one.”

“When we decided to get into the television business we knew the ground was shifting,” said Modi Wiczyk and Asif Satchu, co-CEOs of MRC. “By partnering with the best talent and a network like The CW, whose conception was based on innovation, Sunday nights have suddenly become our favorite night of the week.”

“We have great confidence in the producing skills and talent at MRC,” said Ed Wilson, president of Tribune Broadcasting. “We think this is a great move, and as The CW Network begins expanding its audience reach on Sunday, our local stations will certainly benefit.”

Details on MRC’s Sunday night programs on The CW will be announced shortly.
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote