Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Renews The Sex Lives of College Girls; Retta's HGTV Series Debuts Jan. 3
Freeform Acquires The Office Starting January 2022; 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards Nominees
getTV Acquires The Rockford Files, Here Come the Brides; Disney's Secrets of Sulphur Springs Premieres Jan. 14
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 6, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Kevin Can F*** Himself and Pen15 Cancelled; The Waltons' Homecoming Brings Ratings High to The CW
Fri-Yay: Itís Always Sunny Returns, Bold and Funny as Ever; Jon Stewart Joins Live in Front of a Studio Audience for The Facts of Life; Remembering Eddie Mekka of Laverne & Shirley
Rewind TV January 2022 Schedule Includes Drew Carey, NewsRadio; HBO's Somebody Somewhere Premieres Jan. 16

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October-December)

Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Mom - The Eighth and Final Season Punky Brewster (1984-88) - The Complete Series (2021 Release) I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - The Honeymooners Specials - A Christmas Carol
11/02 - Mom - The Eighth and Final Season
11/02 - Punky Brewster - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - Sex and the City - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
11/09 - Saved by the Bell (2020) - Season One
11/09 - Younger - The Complete Series
11/16 - Kevin Can F*** Himself - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
11/23 - Dead Pixels - Seasons One and Two
11/30 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (2021 Release) (Blu-ray)
12/07 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
12/07 - Rick & Morty - Season 5 (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray Limited Edition Steelbook)
12/14 - The Abbott and Costello Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
12/14 - Letterkenny - Season 9
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

Default Kay Hall

Has anyone seen this segment? She was found dead on a Virginia road - possibly run over by her truck - and her ex-husband was suspected. According to the episode list this case has been updated. Anyone know what came out of it?
HyeTev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
crystaldawn
Forum 4K Club Member

Yes the update says he was convicted of her murder in 1990 but then appealed and was granted a new trial 18 months later. The judge released him with time served in exchange for his guilty plea (I believe to manslaughter). He also received 15 years probation. It was so obvious to me he killed her even though he denied it during the segment. He was a conman out for her money and Kay was killed the day she received a substantial inheritance.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

Thanks, CrystalDawn. I remember seeing this one way back during the NBC airings - and before I started taping them - but I didn't know that it was solved.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
DarkDante

Yeah, CD given the law of averages I would have to agree with you that her husband killed her. Although he didn't come off nearly as swine like as Mark Nichols or Jule Caylor in his segment, he also isn't very convincing although I do believe that there was an issue as to whether the guy would've had enough time to commit his crime.

I would say however that in my mind his guilty plea is not a mitigating factor here. I don't believe he's guilty because he pleaded so because that was done in such circumstances that I think a lot of people would've pleaded guilty in order to obtain a "get out of jail free" card.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

Well I think I will go with the majority here and say that I think Bob Hall is guilty. I just don't think it was a coincidence that Kay was murdered the same day she claimed that inheritance. There was a time element, but it stated that Bob had as much as 25 minutes to locate Kay and kill her, and get back to the house. That seems like plenty of time. Plus, he had no alibi for that timeframe.

For me, Bob starts off of the wrong foot as we learned about his previous time spent behind bars. It doesn't get any better. Midway through the segment, he talked about how the police were focusing on him and not exploring any other options. Well, what other options were there? Nobody else would have had a motive as far as I know. The segment mentioned the possibility that Kay didn't waste any time telling him she was going to leave him once she got that inheritance. That's plausible. I think another option was that he might have felt he was going to get the inheritance with her dead, so he could get the $50,000. He was the most likely candidate to get it as he was her husband.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Well I think I will go with the majority here and say that I think Bob Hall is guilty. I just don't think it was a coincidence that Kay was murdered the same day she claimed that inheritance. There was a time element, but it stated that Bob had as much as 25 minutes to locate Kay and kill her, and get back to the house. That seems like plenty of time. Plus, he had no alibi for that timeframe.

For me, Bob starts off of the wrong foot as we learned about his previous time spent behind bars. It doesn't get any better. Midway through the segment, he talked about how the police were focusing on him and not exploring any other options. Well, what other options were there? Nobody else would have had a motive as far as I know. The segment mentioned the possibility that Kay didn't waste any time telling him she was going to leave him once she got that inheritance. That's plausible. I think another option was that he might have felt he was going to get the inheritance with her dead, so he could get the $50,000. He was the most likely candidate to get it as he was her husband.
Having watched the segment this past weekend I have to say that I agree with your post. He had plenty of time to do it and besides who else would have had a motive for killing her?

Open and shut case as far as I see...
Old 03-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well I am actually sort of the fence on this one. Bob Hall certainly could have done it and had motive to do it. However the time difference does bother me, remember, he was dropped off at home about an hour before Kay was found dead if I remember correctly. That would mean that he would have had to race 15 miles away find his wife in the dark somewhere, kill her and then race back home. He would have had if I remember right at most 25 minutes to commit the murder. It is certainly possible he did it, him and Kay had a strained relationship, it could be that she had told him it was done with or that he figured she was close to ending it so he figured he had to knock her off before he would lose the money.

On the same token, I dont think Bob was a con man that was just out for her money. Kay went to him, sought him out, wrote to him in prison and in fact had known Bob for several years before he even went to jail so it wasnt like they just met and he decided from day one he was going to knock her off for the money. Bob had a felony conviction and had done prison time and I imagine it isnt particularly easy for a felon to get a job particularly when the felony involves drugs.

I do think Bob truly loved Kay. I dont know, I just dont get that guilty feeling from him that I do Mark Nichols, Paul Pollis, Jule Caylor, etc. Bob was convicted of first degree murder in 1990 and was sentenced to life in prison. However as it has been mentioned Bob appealed it and after a year and a half in prison a judge agreed to shorten Bob's sentence to time served in exchange for his guilty plea to 2nd degree manslaughter I believe. Bob was placed on 15 years probation and was released from prison. So that tells me the state's case against him was shaky despite the conviction and Bob I am sure pled guilty because he didnt want to gamble going to trial again for fear of getting convicted again and staying in prison so as DD said he used the get out of jail free card. As a poster said earlier, even if Bob is guilty it wouldnt be because of his guilty plea that would make me think that. A lot of people would take that deal if they had been convicted once and wanted to avoid being convicted again.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

Wasn't Bob Hall drunk at the time? I'm wondering if that would have imparied his driving ability, and might have caused him to drive slower. Then we might be talking about a smaller timeframe than the 25 minutes as mentioned above.

You'd have to get pretty lucky to locate a certain person on the road like that, unless Bob was tipped off when Kay was leaving and which direction she was headed.

I still think he's guilty, but I just wanted to throw those 2 things out there.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

Another segment that suffers from vagueness.

Here's something that's interesting. Kay left the country club. It appears she was headed in the opposite direction to her house, as her vehicle was found a couple miles in that direction. Now had Bob killed Kay, he would have almost for sure had to have known not only when Kay left the country club, but where she was headed. He may have known this, but the segment really doesn't elaborate.

I'm still leaning in the guilty catergory, but this one's heading towards swing status for me. He does give a pretty genuine interview.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

I say he's guilty even though his story seemed to be more 'believable' than most of the others. More believable than Tim McClure (which this case reminds me of) and DEFINITELY more believable than that pathetic Pollis dude.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

we learn that Bob placed a call at his house at 9:47. Yet, Kay was found at 9:55, and the people that happened upon the scene said her body still felt warm, like it had just happened. In order to commit the murder, Bob would have had to have left the scene no later than 9:30, which means that 25 minutes at least would have passed, which doens't tie in with the people finding Kay's body still warm.

Also, I touched upon this briefly in an above post. Bob was dropped off at home by friends, presumuably since he had too much to drink and couldn't drive. But in order to commit the murder, he would have had to drive.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
kadrmas15

Bob was heavily intoxicated from what the segment said, however the reason Bob was driven home by friends was because him and Kay had came together to the party and she stormed off in a drunken fit in their truck. Since Bob was left without a car and had no way to get home, his friends drove him.

It is certainy possibly, probably even likely in my opinion that Bob Hall killed his wife. However I also believe in my opinion it is very possible that he could be innocent.

It is truly a bizarre case, and I will disagree with Crystaldawn on this one at least partially in terms of her opinion of Bob Hall himself. I dont know that the guy was a "con-man" per say. I mean he certainly wasnt up to Dave Davis level.

I think Crystaldawn's theory that Bob married her for her money is possible, but Kay did take care of him, she did write to him in prison, she sought him out, so it wasnt like he just came out of no where. However at that time Kay was an insurance company executive and doing very well financially.

However remember that at the time of Kay's death, the Hall's were not doing well financially because their oyster farming business had gone belly up. However the biggest thing I think that sunk Bob Hall was the circumstancial evidence that Kay died the same day she got that huge amount of money.

I just think the jury in his trial couldnt get around that. I think without that little tid bit of circumstancial evidence he would have and should have been acquitted because while I think he probably, not for sure, but probably did kill Kay, the evidence simply wasnt strong enough to support a conviction.

The state got lucky the first time and got a conviction but Hall appealed and after a couple years in prison his conviction was reversed and I think the state knew there chances of getting another first degree murder conviction were a long shot so they made a plea b argain with Hall knowing he would take it regardless if he did it or not because he was afraid he might get convicted again and sent back to prison again.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
I think Crystaldawn's theory that Bob married her for her money is possible, but Kay did take care of him, she did write to him in prison, she sought him out, so it wasnt like he just came out of no where. However at that time Kay was an insurance company executive and doing very well financially.
Well, it's like what one of Kay's friends/relatives said: She was his meal ticket and she was about to cut him off because of his abuse. He definitely had motive.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
kadrmas15

Well that is if you believe her friends, who while they may have been telling half-truths, may also have had bias after all their friend died and whether he murdered her or not, Bob Hall is a very convienent person to blame for it. Also Bob wasnt the only one with a drinking problem in that house hold according to the segment and was not the only one with a hot temper when he was under the influence. So you can really look at it both ways. I agree he had motive, but that hardly makes him a for sure murderer. Again, did he do it? Chances are he did, but there are some nagging questions that create enough doubt that I think he should have never been convicted. The plea bargain in this case was appropriate, the state was lucky they got a first degree murder conviction in the first place but it was so full of holes that Hall was easily able to get the conviction over turned on appeal. The state was hardly confident in their case b ecause if they had been they certainly wouldnt have given him such a lucreative plea bargain and they knew Bob Hall would take it because he didnt want to risk another conviction and getting sent back to prison.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house
Forum 3K Club Member

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I'm throwing this out there, so PLEASE don't throw tomatoes at me, but....

Any chance that this death could have been accidental?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote