Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #286
pinebluffracing
Frequent Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
In watching a short documentary about this case on the forbidden site, they showed a shot of the store. It did have a grassy area and it was a lot more isolated than how UM presented it. UM would have you believe this was a typical convenience store setting, in an area with other similar places and lights everywhere. In reality, it looked like it was out in the middle of nowhere.
Yes, it was very grassy on the side of the building and on the back of the building. There was also a good distance between the building and the apartment complex that was seperated by a fence. The UM video was pretty far off as it relates to the parking lot shot and the inside of the store.

I mean it was over 20 years ago, but there was no elevation behind the counter and the car outside was parked differently. I guess i am pretty much over commenting on this story, it seems like it will never be solved. I do truly feel that either this Megadeth guy or the cigeratte girl knows something that has not been mentioned. It has got to be one or the other...period!
pinebluffracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #287
dynoguy88

The convenience store is not that isolated at all. It's on a corner but it's next door to a house and a business. Across the street are a bunch of homes and condos fenced in.

dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #288
pinebluffracing
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
The convenience store is not that isolated at all. It's on a corner but it's next door to a house and a business. Across the street are a bunch of homes and condos fenced in.

Interesting....when was this photo taken? Because circle k(s) are red and white. If this photo is taken NOT twenty two years ago and more like the last couple the building and house being there makes sense. Orlando has built up a ton in the last twenty years. Almost faster than anywhere in the world.

I can drive about five miles from where i am now and take a photo and upload it

Last edited by pinebluffracing; 04-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #289
pinebluffracing
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebluffracing
Interesting....when was this photo taken? Because circle k(s) are red and white. If this photo is taken NOT twenty two years ago and more like the last couple the building and house being there makes sense. Orlando has built up a ton in the last twenty years. Almost faster than anywhere in the world.

I can run about five miles from there now and take a photo and upload it
I will say that the car in this photo is parked identical to how debs car was parked after she went missing. However my friend and I are under the belief it was parked backed in that spot, just like she always parked it during her shift that night.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #290
dynoguy88

Looks like Google Maps has updated their street view photos. The previous picture was from 2009. Here is what the convenience store looks like as of 2011.

If you're looking at the store from further down Hall Road, you see a Humphrey's Insurance Agency and a printing store which is blocking the view of the house next door to the store.

An aerial shot of the store shows how non-isolated it actually is.

dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #291
pinebluffracing
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Looks like Google Maps has updated their street view photos. The previous picture was from 2009. Here is what the convenience store looks like as of 2011.

If you're looking at the store from further down Hall Road, you see a Humphrey's Insurance Agency and a printing store which is blocking the view of the house next door to the store.

An aerial shot of the store shows how non-isolated it actually is.

Here are some population stats on Orlando. It only goes back to 2000 but image 10 years prior. http://www.idcide.com/citydata/fl/orlando.htm

The photos you have help make my point clear. In the middle of the night there is no one around because businesses are not open at 3 am. The homes across the street were not there. I don't think. Either way those are big fences that block traffic notice. Additionally, the houses are facing the other way and the backyards are what run along Hall road. So backyards, a fence, wide street and big front of store is what separates circle Ks front door and these particular house. I dont not believe they were there in 1989 or ninety anyways. These photos demonstrate that if someone hollers for help at three am it is likely no one will hear.

Most these places were not built twenty years ago. They were only glimmers in young contractor's eyes.

The apartment complex in back is where we lived...the Shoals.

Last edited by pinebluffracing; 04-28-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #292
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

But if apartments were directly behind the Circle K, how can it be described as "isolated"?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #293
pinebluffracing
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
But if apartments were directly behind the Circle K, how can it be described as "isolated"?
I agree whole-heartadly Cars86. I really do not know who used the term 'isolated' not sure anybody did except the photographer in the earlier posts. I have used the phrase that the area is a very low traffic area, expecially in the wee hours and especially in the late 80s early 90s. The other term or comments that were mentined that i agree with are that there is no-one within ear shot of this place being that there are a few businesses around and living areas are not close. i would say this holds true in both the 2010s and 1990.

Another thing to mention is i am not sure where some of you guys are from but traffic and busy and isolated and crowded are all perception...is that the right word. If you are from a farm town in Maryland or michigan or tupac, IA you would have a different perception than someone from Manhatten or Miaimi. In many areas around Florida there are busy intersections, compared to Hall rd and 426 which (on the outer skirts of Orlando) is very low traffic and a nice place for a would be villian to make a splash without much possibility of getting caught.

Not sure why there is a debate about whether Hall road on this corner is busy during the mid to late 2000s-2010s. It seems pretty irrelevent.

Last edited by pinebluffracing; 04-29-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #294
JackKerouac1989
Frequent Poster

reading through this thread I was saddened to read about Poe's parents buying a 10 year period of classified in the orlando sentinel to mention the fact that there daughter was still missing. I can't even imagine what they must be going through. Hopefully her parents will someday have answers.
JackKerouac1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #295
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKerouac1989
reading through this thread I was saddened to read about Poe's parents buying a 10 year period of classified in the orlando sentinel to mention the fact that there daughter was still missing. I can't even imagine what they must be going through. Hopefully her parents will someday have answers.
Well in the new "updated" UM, they said that one of Debra's friends is the prime suspect in her disappearance...so at least there's a valid suspect that police have. Hopefully they'll be able to get a confession or find some evidence so they can make an arrest.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #296
PD1981
Occasional Poster

PineBluff's comments and the update that the suspicion is now on one of Debra Poe's friends certainly casts some new light on the issue. Interestingly, though, it seems that two very different conclusions can be reached about the responsible party in this case

I think the chances of Mr Megadeth being involved in the actual murder are about 50-50. I think there is a good chance that Mr Megadeth was just in there committing a crime of opportunity owing to a vacant store and was disturbed by the customer and, scared by her appearance, decided to call it a day and leave without taking anything. The evidence in support of that, in my opinion, is that there was no forensic evidence found in the store that would suggest that she was there being held against her will while Mr. Megadeth was playing the role of store attendant or that there had been a struggle. If Mr. Megadeth was attending the store when the customer entered and Debra Poe was being held somewhere there against her will, then I think he'd probably have been too scared after that to move her from the store under duress in case another customer disturbed them. And if Mr Megadeth had already abducted her before that and completed his intentions with her, I really highly doubt he'd come back and play store attendant as it would increase the risk of him being identified as a possible suspect when it became evident that she had disappeared

That having been said, I've read some posts in this thread suggesting that Mr Megadeth wouldn't have played store attendant had he had Debra Poe held up somewhere in the store under his control because of the risks involved. I would point out two cases that seemingly contradict this thesis. The first case is of that which was broadcast in an episode of Forensic Files today. It involved the case of an assailant who raped and murdered a laundry store shop employee while she was in the store alone. He subdued her and assaulted her but was then interrupted by a customer who had come to pick up some laundry. He removed his disguise and went to attend to her, posing as a laundry employee. The actual laundry shop employee was in the back and it didn't seem that she was bound or gagged or unconscious or restrained but she didn't raise the alarm and the customer left presuming she'd dealt with an actual shop employee. Sadly, the fact that the assailant had removed his disguise and the shop employee had more likely than not got a good look at her attacker meant that he subsequently decided to murder her and did so using one of the tools in the store. Very sad case but thankfully the monster was caught

The second case I'd draw your attention to was actually on UM and it involved this assailant who was going around robbing stores and murdering the store owners in the process. On one night in question he went to a clothing store and forced the two employees into the back but then a man came into the store to pick up some clothing. The assailant heard him and came out of the store, pointed his gun at him and told him to get in the back. The customer declined and reasoned with the assailant and, somewhat surprisingly, the assailant decided to let him go despite the fact that he could make a positive identification of him (since he had seen him face to face) and warned him not to call the police

So it's plausible that Mr. Megadeth was tending shop while Debra Poe was in duress somewhere in the store. For the reasons earlier, I tend to doubt it but I can't rule it out

I can't imagine what Debra's poor parents and family had to go through. So sad to read about their contributions to the newspaper. I hope this case can be resolved in the not-so-distant future
PD1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #297
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD1981
So it's plausible that Mr. Megadeth was tending shop while Debra Poe was in duress somewhere in the store. For the reasons earlier, I tend to doubt it but I can't rule it out
I still don't understand why people think this is a possibility. Why would Megadeth waste time in such a pointless exercise? If Megadeth's intentions were to abduct Debra, he would have left immediately after subduing her. I don't see how or why Megadeth would want to abduct her, but before leaving make sure the cigarette lady was waited on. Megadeth was, IMO, at the store after Debra was abducted and was probably going to help himself to some freebies when the cigarette lady interrupted him. That's the only scenario that fits the known evidence.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #298
welshman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I still don't understand why people think this is a possibility. Why would Megadeth waste time in such a pointless exercise? If Megadeth's intentions were to abduct Debra, he would have left immediately after subduing her. I don't see how or why Megadeth would want to abduct her, but before leaving make sure the cigarette lady was waited on. Megadeth was, IMO, at the store after Debra was abducted and was probably going to help himself to some freebies when the cigarette lady interrupted him. That's the only scenario that fits the known evidence.
What if there were two of them the megadeath guy was the lookout and the other had Debra in the back or that Debra was lying beaten under the counter and he was just about to leave.
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #299
PD1981
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Simply because there have been instances of it happening in the past -where the offender is in the act of doing his deed, gets interrupted by a customer and deals with that customer and then going back to finish the job. As I've said for all intents and purposes, I don't think that was the case here and that your scenario is the one I tend to be inclined toward but we have to keep open the possibility that it could have happened, however remote
PD1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #300
WishfulDreamer

What if Megadeth subdued Debra, then saw the young women drive up? If he didn't go behind the counter, he would have to feign that the clerk was missing and the witness may have called the police or waited with him, which would have foiled his plans. But if he goes behind the counter to do the transaction, then the girl thinks everything is fine, no police called, no suspicion. It's at that point he probably grabbed Debra and hightailed it out of there.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote