Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer
Dove Channel Brings Out Holiday Classics; CW Gets DC Universe Series with Sitcom Star

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #196
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Are you incapable of debate w/o name calling? If you aren't then why not try writing on here when you have grown up a little more?

And,no, I'm not an attorney. I do know quite a bit about entertainment law from studying it and some business affairs that I have been involved in over the years. There are strict rules and regulations concerning what can (and cannot) be aired on television. I didn't create them; I simply know that they exist and what happens (or can happen) when the are subverted or broken.

If the man portrayed as "Megadeth" on the show got a lawyer and pushed things, the producers of UM would almost certainly drop the segment from airing. Why? Because even people on this forum have stated that they believe that he was involved in one or more crimes. While his name is never spoken, it would be very clear to anybody that knows this man who he is.

This could cause his loss of employment, potential harassment, and possible arrest by an overzealous LE officer. I'm actually surprised that they haven't either stopped airing the segment (since his inclusion is presented in the main portion as the only real "lead") or that UM hasn't put a disclaimer on before airing the segment carefully detailing that "Megadeth" had no involvement in the crime portrayed.

You stated (as a fact) that UM could air this program unedited and not face potential issues. Since the only person that could honestly answer that would be an entertainment attorney, I asked if you were. You answered no, so I guess what you stated was an opinion.

If my pointing out logical errors and flaws in critical thinking are seen as being "condescending" that is not my intent. However, we are all adults on here. If you present opinion as fact, it really shouldn't upset you when you are "called on it." You are, after all, an adult and criticism of your ideas is part of being an adult.
I am perfectly able to answer "as an adult" without namecalling. But when I say something, then have someone answer back with a snide "Really? Are you an attorney?" I must say that it pisses me off. As you point out, neither of us are attorneys. That means that your opinion holds no more weight than mine. Here's a helpful hint for the next time someone says something you disagree with: Instead of using something that can be viewed as you being snarky (let's use the above as an example), why not take the extra five seconds and use language that respects the opinions and views of others? THAT is where I get the condescension from. Not that you disagree with me. It's the manner in which you do it, and I'm not the only one that has seen it. Either way, I'm done bothering with you. Whether a person agrees with you or disagrees with you, you always have to point out "facts" or "logic" with an attitude that is completely uncalled for. I tried to be decent and civil with you (you didn't see me saying "Actually, Megadeth would have no case, idiot," did you? No, you didn't. I said "I think," which is much more respectful than your posts tend to be.), and it got me nowhere. See you around.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #197
cocytus
Forum Regular

^^^^

I can't help how you "feel."
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #198
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oooga Chucka
I know these are real people, and I don't want to trash them, but did anyone else kind of think that, at least in the re-enactment, Cigarette Girl was kind of sleazy? I could easily see how a 3AM customer might hop behind the counter just to have a chance to interact with her. I think that maybe the idea of him being suspicious came about simply because he was a big guy who liked metal (remember, in the 80's, these were the rebels). I mean, if he were wearing an Air Supply T-shirt, would this thread even exist?
I've always assumed this woman was coming back from a trip to a bar/club which could explain the time she came to the store and the way she was dressed (at least in the re-enactment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonite
If anything, UM probably played up the Mr. Megadeth angle simply because it made for a dramatic twist: the idea of a customer coming "face-to-face" with the abductor.
I agree. That's probably why they still keep the Megadeth angle in the segment in the newer, Farina hosted episodes. Although like I've stated before, they did update the segment at the end stating that the police now believe Megadeth was nothing more than a customer in the store.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #199
Oooga Chucka
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
In the present day, these are my boyfriends.

Ha, ha....sweet.
Oooga Chucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #200
rhzunam
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Are you incapable of debate w/o name calling? If you aren't then why not try writing on here when you have grown up a little more?

And,no, I'm not an attorney. I do know quite a bit about entertainment law from studying it and some business affairs that I have been involved in over the years. There are strict rules and regulations concerning what can (and cannot) be aired on television. I didn't create them; I simply know that they exist and what happens (or can happen) when the are subverted or broken.

If the man portrayed as "Megadeth" on the show got a lawyer and pushed things, the producers of UM would almost certainly drop the segment from airing. Why? Because even people on this forum have stated that they believe that he was involved in one or more crimes. While his name is never spoken, it would be very clear to anybody that knows this man who he is.

This could cause his loss of employment, potential harassment, and possible arrest by an overzealous LE officer. I'm actually surprised that they haven't either stopped airing the segment (since his inclusion is presented in the main portion as the only real "lead") or that UM hasn't put a disclaimer on before airing the segment carefully detailing that "Megadeth" had no involvement in the crime portrayed.

You stated (as a fact) that UM could air this program unedited and not face potential issues. Since the only person that could honestly answer that would be an entertainment attorney, I asked if you were. You answered no, so I guess what you stated was an opinion.

If my pointing out logical errors and flaws in critical thinking are seen as being "condescending" that is not my intent. However, we are all adults on here. If you present opinion as fact, it really shouldn't upset you when you are "called on it." You are, after all, an adult and criticism of your ideas is part of being an adult.
How can it be clear to anybody who knows who he is that was him? If it took years and years for him to be found out, how clear was it? How can the guy sue when his name is never mentioned and nobody has any clue who he was for long time and it's not even known if he still looks like that AND they mention in the show that he isn't a suspect anymore?
rhzunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #201
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I guess that's why they threw in the update about "Megadeth" no longer being considered a suspect.
Wish i could find this segment with the update, honestly, even with the update i do NOT think the Megadeth guy was just a "customer" i think he was a thief or shoplifter because what customer pretends to be behind the counter.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #202
Carbon Tiger
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcarolina
Wish i could find this segment with the update, honestly, even with the update i do NOT think the Megadeth guy was just a "customer" i think he was a thief or shoplifter because what customer pretends to be behind the counter.
It's possible that when he walked into an empty store and saw no one was there he pocketed some stuff/was thinking about doing so and freaked out when another customer came in and did the first thing that came to mind. Like a lot of things done with no thought it wasn't very bright.

After that scare he probably said 'forget this' and left without taking anything major. I think at worst he may have lifted some cigarettes or something like that.
Carbon Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #203
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
It's not online, and it was recently aired about a week ago on Lifetime on the Farina hosted show. When I say "just a customer", I don't mean he was squeaky clean. I agree with you that he was up to something nefarious, but I think the authorities are clearing him as "just a customer" as a way to hope for him to come forward without fear of prosecution to see if he witnessed anything suspicious that night. If "Megadeth" was simply looking for the clerk behind the counter, he wouldn't have waited on the cigarette lady. But I think that kind of spooked him which is why he left shortly after.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #204
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Tiger
It's possible that when he walked into an empty store and saw no one was there he pocketed some stuff/was thinking about doing so and freaked out when another customer came in and did the first thing that came to mind. Like a lot of things done with no thought it wasn't very bright. After that scare he probably said 'forget this' and left without taking anything major. I think at worst he may have lifted some cigarettes or something like that.
VERY true, i tend to agree with something like this, Megadeth was far from JUST a customer or innocent bystander, he was either a guy attempting to rob the store or he did steal something (and it went unnoticed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
It's not online, and it was recently aired about a week ago on Lifetime on the Farina hosted show. When I say "just a customer", I don't mean he was squeaky clean. I agree with you that he was up to something nefarious, but I think the authorities are clearing him as "just a customer" as a way to hope for him to come forward without fear of prosecution to see if he witnessed anything suspicious that night. If "Megadeth" was simply looking for the clerk behind the counter, he wouldn't have waited on the cigarette lady. But I think that kind of spooked him which is why he left shortly after.
i know the video isnt online, but i have tried to find the update on the UnsolvedMysteries.com site and didnt see it and like the other poster said, i tend to agree with that theory, i think (when he saw the store empty) he was going to steal either money or stuff from the store, then the customer came in, scared him and he either stole something (and went unnoticed) or he got out of there without stealing, and true, maybe the police are clearing him to get him to come forward, BUT i doubt he does out of fear of having to admit that he was going to steal or rob the store.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #205
WishfulDreamer

I think that Megadeth either was involved or out to commit crime (such as robbing the store). Nothing being stolen from the store, I have to wonder if he was scared off or truly did assault Deborah and abduct her. It seems too coincidental that he happened to be there right in between the gap of her being last seen (a period of about forty minutes, I believe. I think it was at 3:10 the friend claimed he last spoke to Deborah and I know it was 3:50 that he returned to find her gone). If we believe the friend (is he the suspect now in recent times?) that gives a really short gap. I tend to think he was involved, but I have to admit there are various problems to consider with the theory. I absolutely do not think he was an innocent guy having fun pretending to be a clerk; I believe he was out to do no good, whether that involved robbing the store or abducting the clerk.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #206
bell83
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I think that Megadeth either was involved or out to commit crime (such as robbing the store). Nothing being stolen from the store, I have to wonder if he was scared off or truly did assault Deborah and abduct her. It seems too coincidental that he happened to be there right in between the gap of her being last seen (a period of about forty minutes, I believe. I think it was at 3:10 the friend claimed he last spoke to Deborah and I know it was 3:50 that he returned to find her gone). If we believe the friend (is he the suspect now in recent times?) that gives a really short gap. I tend to think he was involved, but I have to admit there are various problems to consider with the theory. I absolutely do not think he was an innocent guy having fun pretending to be a clerk; I believe he was out to do no good, whether that involved robbing the store or abducting the clerk.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that he was up to no good. He was obviously behind the counter for nefarious reasons, and it's very likely he was trying to figure out how to open the register. But as for him going in with the express purpose of robbing the store, that's not necessarily the case. He could've simply stopped there to get something, looked around the store and found that there was no cashier, then decided to try and get money out of the register. While trying to figure out how to open it, a customer came in, and he decided to play it cool, thinking if he did, that it wouldn't raise any flags. Then, after she left, he bailed, because he was scared someone else would come in. It's very likely that this was simply an aborted attempt at a crime of opportunity.
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #207
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that he was up to no good. He was obviously behind the counter for nefarious reasons, and it's very likely he was trying to figure out how to open the register. But as for him going in with the express purpose of robbing the store, that's not necessarily the case. He could've simply stopped there to get something, looked around the store and found that there was no cashier, then decided to try and get money out of the register. While trying to figure out how to open it, a customer came in, and he decided to play it cool, thinking if he did, that it wouldn't raise any flags. Then, after she left, he bailed, because he was scared someone else would come in. It's very likely that this was simply an aborted attempt at a crime of opportunity.
Bell, i didnt say he was there for that express purpose, i am just giving out ideas, BUT we all pretty much agree that this guy is NOT just "a customer" either he was there to just shop, saw the place empty and then thought, WOW, i can get some money or they planned on this and got scared or this guy was planning on stealing other things while there and got scared off. Anyways, i doubt he's just a customer because normal customers dont play cashier like he did.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #208
bell83
Forum Regular

Quote:
Bell, i didnt say he was there for that express purpose, i am just giving out ideas, BUT we all pretty much agree that this guy is NOT just "a customer" either he was there to just shop, saw the place empty and then thought, WOW, i can get some money or they planned on this and got scared or this guy was planning on stealing other things while there and got scared off. Anyways, i doubt he's just a customer because normal customers dont play cashier like he did.
No, he was definitely not simply a customer who decided to play cashier. That I totally agree with. I had read your "out to commit crime" as you saying he went specifically for that purpose. Sorry for the confusion, there.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #209
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83
No, he was definitely not simply a customer who decided to play cashier. That I totally agree with. I had read your "out to commit crime" as you saying he went specifically for that purpose. Sorry for the confusion, there.
That was me who said "out to commit crime" actually, but I had the same meaning as mw. Believe it or not, some people do think he was role playing as a cashier for fun I think the more likely scenario is that he was scared off (if not involved with the clerk's disappearance) and decided not to take anything after all. He was probably in there to get a pack of smokes himself ( ) and then saw that there was no clerk and decided to steal. If involved with Deborah's disappearance, then he was obviously playing it cool until the customer left.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #210
bell83
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
That was me who said "out to commit crime" actually, but I had the same meaning as mw. Believe it or not, some people do think he was role playing as a cashier for fun I think the more likely scenario is that he was scared off (if not involved with the clerk's disappearance) and decided not to take anything after all. He was probably in there to get a pack of smokes himself ( ) and then saw that there was no clerk and decided to steal. If involved with Deborah's disappearance, then he was obviously playing it cool until the customer left.
Hahaha...I hadn't looked at who it was who had answered...I had assumed it was the same person who I had responded to

I need sleep...lol

And it's funny, because going back and looking at MW's post, that's pretty much exactly what I feel happened