Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hulu's Solar Opposites Renewed for 4th Season; Sundance Now's Motherland Returns July 8
MeTV Summer 2021 Schedule, Monk Joins Lineup; HBO Max Sets Cast for Period Comedy
New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
LUNCH

Default Do you still watch TV commercials?

I do not and have not for quite some time.
I avoid commercials as much as I can. I used to actually like commercials back in the days when they were often pleasant and clever and there were much less of them. However that was decades ago. Do you still watch TV commercials?
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
opus
VB
Forum Celebrity

Not since VCR's and any future technology of that type was invented. If I'm live watching something I'll usually flip over to some game and check the score.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

I haven't watched commercials since 1996-ish. When I got Dish Network, you could pause the signal and then fast-forward through the endless, loud commercials. Later, they introduced the ability to DVR all your shows, and you could skip through the commercials. I've kept them ever since.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
LUNCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Not since VCR's and any future technology of that type was invented. If I'm live watching something I'll usually flip over to some game and check the score.
If I am watching a channel, the second a commercial starts I switch the channel. I cannot stand watching modern commercials for even 1 second.

Last edited by LUNCH; 05-02-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
LUNCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I haven't watched commercials since 1996-ish. When I got Dish Network, you could pause the signal and then fast-forward through the endless, loud commercials. Later, they introduced the ability to DVR all your shows, and you could skip through the commercials. I've kept them ever since.
That was even earlier than me, but by the late 1990s I started noticing commercial time increasing to an unacceptable level. In addition to the ads themselves really becoming more and more annoying to say the least.

Last edited by LUNCH; 04-29-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCH View Post
If I am watching a channel, let's say MeTV for example, the second a commercial starts I switch the channel. This may sound a little extreme, but I cannot stand watching modern commercials for even 1 second.
I usually mute them on MeTV and Antenna TV. This Medicare stuff is absolutely ridiculous and never-ending.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #7
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCH View Post
That was even earlier than me, but by the late 1990s I started noticing commercial time increasing to an unacceptable level. In addition to the ads themselves really becoming more and more annoying to say the least.
YEP!

Had they been reasonable about the number/length/loudness/annoyingness of ads, I have no doubt more people would still be watching commercials.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

The sad part of todays ads is they are so repetitive. Insurance, health related, roof repair, and window replacements. Sometimes I see the same ad twice in a 30 minute show. Thank the lord for the DVR where I zip past the ads. And some are so foolish. I can't stand seeing the woman rolling down the street in living room chair after having her faucets spray all over her. What happened to coffee, cereal, chewing gum or automobile ads.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

Wi-Fi has helped me cope with excessive commercials. I keep a lap top beside me, and trade off between TV and internet use, generally governed by tv commercials.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

The last decent decade for TV was the 1970's and that includes the commercials. The decline of TV began in the 1980's and each decade that has followed has been worse than the one before. The 1990's were worse than the 1980's, the 2000's were worse than the 1990's, etc.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #11
LUNCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever View Post
The last decent decade for TV was the 1970's and that includes the commercials. The decline of TV began in the 1980's and each decade that has followed has been worse than the one before. The 1990's were worse than the 1980's, the 2000's were worse than the 1990's, etc.
I agree with that.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
OH Nuts!
Forum Royalty

Almost never
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #13
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

I remember a TV commercial from the 1970's for Shasta soda pop, I believe it aired around 1974/1975, sometime during that time frame. The words to the song went like this:

"Make it a Strawberry day today, a Lemon Lime day to follow, a Cola day, the Shasta way, no day has to taste like tomorrow."

Anyone else remember this commercial?
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #14
TSMIV
Forum Regular

Normally, I avoid them like the plague, but I've been watching The Young Riders on imdb.tv with commercials. The breaks are short, but they break in the middle of a sentence sometimes! And it's the same 3 ads over and over again. There are about 10 minutes of commercials in this hour show, so that's not too bad; but they to need to insert them into the scene breaks.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #15
Crusinforabrusin2.5
Frequent Poster

I either mute them or just change the channel because the vast majority of commercials are made to annoy you. Not only that, they'll play the same couple of ads ad nauseum until they suddenly disappear. It starts to get on my nerves after seeing the same commercial for Folgers coffee with the singing lady for the 10th time
Crusinforabrusin2.5 is online now   Reply With Quote