Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #16
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

The worst thing about MeTV is when entire scenes are edited out. To me it's most noticeable for series I'm very familiar with, like Gilligan's Island. I don't think Antenna or Decades are anywhere near as bad -- there are cases where the eps were trimmed for syndication and we're stuck with those, but it's not their cutting.
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #17
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Celebrity

On Beaver just now they had a really bad edit at the beginning. Ward walks in the front door and they abruptly cut out and then we were in the boys' bedroom. If you saw you could tell they just chopped out a hunk. Probably some trainee who just cut out enough to make the time.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #18
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

Edited shows, time compressed shows, crunching the credits. Antenna TV, TV the way it was NOT meant to be.

DVD's aren't always perfect either, sometimes shows are edited on the DVD's but I much prefer watching DVD's over any of the retro channels. Most of the TV shows I have on DVD have full versions of the episodes aside from two series that have problems. The DVD's of Gomer Pyle USMC have several episodes edited because of music, and the vast majority of episodes on the Barnaby Jones DVD's are the edited for syndication versions. I don't like it but it is what it is. I imagine that the chances are very slim to none for these series to get released again with all complete episodes.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #19
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Celebrity

INSP did the cutting of scenes, at least with The Waltons, the last episode I watched on there a couple of years ago was The Genius where John Boy brings home a fellow college student, a 16 year old prodigy to help him with his courses.
The scene that was cut was the entire scene with Lyle the prodigy helping set up the crystal radio.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #20
OH Nuts!
Forum Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCH View Post
I don't like when they do that however it is not going to prevent me from watching their channel. Most channels do it these days and I agree it is ridiculous. They have to squeeze their pathetic extra commercials in. All due to the fact that TV advertising was deregulated.
Yup. The eps have been edited (as in shortened) but for some hard-to-find shows itís better than nothing. The channel is still pretty decent but not as good as when it first rolled out. Watching YT and my DVDs more these days.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #21
MikeLutton
Mike Lutton DVD Legend!
Forum Veteran

i dont even watch antenna anymore since they took half my shows off i usally watch
Old 04-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #22
thebigcookie

I rarely watch MeTV these days because of the same old stale schedule and I haven’t watched Antenna in many years because of the credit crunch and bad editing with long commercial breaks. I mostly stick to DVDs or digital downloads or streaming somewhere. I started watching Who’s the Boss at the beginning of the year and will finish it sometime this next week. Season 1 was DVDs and the rest were episodes I downloaded a while back recorded off Nick at Nite in 2004 and I have really enjoyed them.
thebigcookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Celebrity

I know this credit crunch thing has been done to death, but I think the combination of that and their horrible, low-grade, in-the-gutter ads have probably combined to lower Antenna TV's viewership somewhat.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #24
LUNCH

In the gutter ads really describe almost all commercials and advertising these days. Aside from maybe an exception or 2, is there such a thing as a modern commercial or ad that does not scrape the bottom of the barrel. Even if commercial time were still regulated I would still not watch them because modern advertising is unwatchable in my opinion.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #25
OH Nuts!
Forum Royalty

Antenna used to be GREAT but has consistently gone downhill. Accordingly I revised my profile deleting it’s shout-out = YT and VDDs are my main squeeze these days.

Last edited by OH Nuts!; 04-25-2021 at 03:39 PM.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #26
LUNCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Every once in awhile you can really notice the speeding, esp. on MeTV. Mybe their machine goes berserk and they don't notice.

If I watch a Brady Bunch on DVD the opening theme sounds SLOW. I guess you get used to it speeded up.
When channels speed up a show, and most do now, it throws off the whole pace of the show. It is almost like listening to your favorite song that has been sped up ever so slightly. It sounds "off". It may still sound ok but not nearly as good as it should.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote