Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Rick and Morty Season 4; ABC Midseason 2020 Schedule
Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
Anyone know why the entire series of some shows is/was not shown?

On TVland Canada, only the first 3 season of the Andy Griffith Show are shown. AG ran for 8 years. Only the first couple of seasons of Love, American Style are shown.

Currently on Deja Vu, only the first 4 seasons of the Golden Girls are being shown. When Deja Vu had One Day at a Time, also only the first 4 seasons were shown.

Back to TVLand where on weekends they show Ready or Not, we are seeing the same episodes over, over & over since RON was a short series.
Yeah, these channels tend to buy only a certain number of episodes (or seasons) of certain shows at a time because it is cheaper.
DSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #17
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Not long after I posted my comment, I thought of another show that TVLand only shows the first couple of seasons - Fantasy Island. That is at least 3 current shows that TVLand shows the same episodes over, over & over.

I will miss Lassie. The one good thing about TVLand is that I saw the Lassie series for the first time ever & and the entire 19 year run was shown.

Although I do enjoy some reruns of Three's Company, that is the one show that never goes off the air on Deja Vu.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
Not long after I posted my comment, I thought of another show that TVLand only shows the first couple of seasons - Fantasy Island. That is at least 3 current shows that TVLand shows the same episodes over, over & over.

I will miss Lassie. The one good thing about TVLand is that I saw the Lassie series for the first time ever & and the entire 19 year run was shown.

Although I do enjoy some reruns of Three's Company, that is the one show that never goes off the air on Deja Vu.
Really, they showed 19 years worth of Lassie? Wow, that's really surprising. I thought they repeated all of their shows and only had a few seasons of all of their programs.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Lassie is shown in packages. I believe that is normal for very long-running series.

When I first subscribed to these stations back in Nov. 2006, the first 10 years of Lassie were being shown. Since May 2009, the final 9 years are being shown.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #20
torcan
Frequent Poster

Just looking brieflly at these schedules - does that mean we're shut out of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" again? You'd figure with all the game shows OMNI's going to air, SOMEBODY should add that. Nobody in Canada has aired "WWTBAM" since the crappy A-channel dropped it a year ago. The closest US station near me that airs it is on digital cable only - and I'm still an analog holdout.

If it's not on anywhere again this year, what do Canadian stations have against this show?
torcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Sal

A quick update for those of you keeping score at home:

First, congrats to the CW on a rare moment of intelligence in picking up the Canadian series "18 to Life", now entering its second season on CBC. It's about a boy who gets married at 18 and brings his new bride to live with him and his parents, who can't seem to get along with their new in-laws. It's a fun show and US viewers should love it!

Today, another Canadian specialty channel announced their fall lineup. It's the Comedy Network, which is owned by CTV and specializes in airing comedy series of various forms. There are the sketch comedy series that Canadians are famous for, such as SCTV, Red Green, This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Kids In The Hall; series showcasing standup comedians like Just For Laughs, Stand Up, and Comedy Now, along with US imports Sarah Silverman, The Colbert Report, and The Daily Show; and finally, a few sitcoms: "Corner Gas", "My Name Is Earl", and, for the first time in syndication, the first 4 seasons of "The Big Bang Theory". Also, Conan O'Brien's new talk show will begin airing in November. The official schedule can be found here:

Comedy Network --- Fall 2010 Schedule

Speaking of comedy, another CTV specialty channel, the newly-rebranded Comedy Gold will go on the air this Monday August 2, replacing TV Land Canada. I gave you their schedule last month and now I'd like to show you their new website. I suspect that it too won't be fully functional until August 2 so reserve your judgements until then.

Comedy Gold Website

First impression: the logo stinks!

Comedy Gold Fall Schedule --- As of August 2, 2010

I'm still anxiously awaiting what I expect to be the best fall lineup of all, at least in my opinion. That would be Teletoon Retro, the home of classic cartoons such as Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Yogi Bear, with more to follow. On the previous page, DSFan gave out a list of shows that he felt should be added to the lineup, and I think it's a good list myself, and now I'd like to give my own thoughts about that subject.

First of all, a lot of the superheroes have to go. I don't mind Batman, Superman, or Spiderman, (the original 1967 series), and I love Rocket Robin Hood, but the newer, techno-heroes like Transformers, GI Joe, and Thundercats are pure crap and I wouldn't miss them one bit if they were gone. Also, I think the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show is on a little too often. They should only have it on 2 or 3 times a day like their other series. In their places here are a few series that I would love to see:

1. The 7 series that were rumored to be "Coming Soon" in the Wikipedia article that I posted here last month, which was mysteriously soon taken down by the Wikipedia staff.

(So that means the rumors are true? I wonder...)

I would especially be looking forward to seeing "Underdog" and "Wacky Races" plus crossing my fingers and hoping to see both "Wacky Races" spinoffs next fall: "Penelope Pitstop" and "Dastardly and Muttley".

2. The second Scooby-Doo show "The New Scooby Doo Movies" from 1972, where Scooby and the gang solve mysteries with help from celebrities like Don Knotts, The Addams Family, and Batman. It remains one of my favorite cartoons of all time, yet I haven't seen it in years.

3. "George Of The Jungle". The original from 1967, the new one is awful!

4. "Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch", a lost gem from the vast Hanna-Barbera archives with one of the best theme songs I've ever heard.

5. "Pebbles and Bamm Bamm". Fred and Barney's babies grow up, become teenagers, and have some great adventures of their own.

6. "The Archies". Any one of the many Archie series would be great to watch again.

That's all I can think of for now. See you soon!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
A quick update for those of you keeping score at home:

First, congrats to the CW on a rare moment of intelligence in picking up the Canadian series "18 to Life", now entering its second season on CBC. It's about a boy who gets married at 18 and brings his new bride to live with him and his parents, who can't seem to get along with their new in-laws. It's a fun show and US viewers should love it!

Today, another Canadian specialty channel announced their fall lineup. It's the Comedy Network, which is owned by CTV and specializes in airing comedy series of various forms. There are the sketch comedy series that Canadians are famous for, such as SCTV, Red Green, This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Kids In The Hall; series showcasing standup comedians like Just For Laughs, Stand Up, and Comedy Now, along with US imports Sarah Silverman, The Colbert Report, and The Daily Show; and finally, a few sitcoms: "Corner Gas", "My Name Is Earl", and, for the first time in syndication, the first 4 seasons of "The Big Bang Theory". Also, Conan O'Brien's new talk show will begin airing in November. The official schedule can be found here:

Comedy Network --- Fall 2010 Schedule

Speaking of comedy, another CTV specialty channel, the newly-rebranded Comedy Gold will go on the air this Monday August 2, replacing TV Land Canada. I gave you their schedule last month and now I'd like to show you their new website. I suspect that it too won't be fully functional until August 2 so reserve your judgements until then.

Comedy Gold Website

First impression: the logo stinks!

Comedy Gold Fall Schedule --- As of August 2, 2010

I'm still anxiously awaiting what I expect to be the best fall lineup of all, at least in my opinion. That would be Teletoon Retro, the home of classic cartoons such as Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Yogi Bear, with more to follow. On the previous page, DSFan gave out a list of shows that he felt should be added to the lineup, and I think it's a good list myself, and now I'd like to give my own thoughts about that subject.

First of all, a lot of the superheroes have to go. I don't mind Batman, Superman, or Spiderman, (the original 1967 series), and I love Rocket Robin Hood, but the newer, techno-heroes like Transformers, GI Joe, and Thundercats are pure crap and I wouldn't miss them one bit if they were gone. Also, I think the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show is on a little too often. They should only have it on 2 or 3 times a day like their other series. In their places here are a few series that I would love to see:

1. The 7 series that were rumored to be "Coming Soon" in the Wikipedia article that I posted here last month, which was mysteriously soon taken down by the Wikipedia staff.

(So that means the rumors are true? I wonder...)

I would especially be looking forward to seeing "Underdog" and "Wacky Races" plus crossing my fingers and hoping to see both "Wacky Races" spinoffs next fall: "Penelope Pitstop" and "Dastardly and Muttley".

2. The second Scooby-Doo show "The New Scooby Doo Movies" from 1972, where Scooby and the gang solve mysteries with help from celebrities like Don Knotts, The Addams Family, and Batman. It remains one of my favorite cartoons of all time, yet I haven't seen it in years.

3. "George Of The Jungle". The original from 1967, the new one is awful!

4. "Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch", a lost gem from the vast Hanna-Barbera archives with one of the best theme songs I've ever heard.

5. "Pebbles and Bamm Bamm". Fred and Barney's babies grow up, become teenagers, and have some great adventures of their own.

6. "The Archies". Any one of the many Archie series would be great to watch again.

That's all I can think of for now. See you soon!
That's a good list of ideas! I would love for them to have, and as a Scooby-Doo fan I'm being a little greedy, a 2 hour block showing Scooby-Doo, Where Are You, New Scooby Doo Movies, Pup Named Scooby-Doo, and 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. That would be awesome, from like 4-6 PM weekdays.

Teletoon announced their fall schedule already so I wonder what the hold up is for Teletoon Retro? Hopefully, they're taking their time to add some great shows and create an even better lineup!

Sal, post it whenever you see it. If I happen to see it first, then I can post it as well
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Canadian Fall 2010 schedules story:

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2010/0...fall-2010.html

CTS Fall 2010 schedule is in the story as well!
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #24
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan

Thanks for respecting us Canadians here on the message boards, even though those of us who really pay close attention, like Sal and I, have probably known about most of those changes anyways.

I wonder what Americans think of our cable stations' lineups, however?

What I didn't know until the blog today was CTS' lineup. I have Illico on Videotron so I, unfortunately, don't get that channel. Really hope they acquire it soon because they really are airing a lot of great sitcoms that aren't being shown on other Canadian stations.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Big letdown with the Fall schedules this year .... a lot of the same old series are back ... nothing worth sitting down to watch.

Why aren't the shows of the 60's treated with more respect? To me this was the golden-era of television also and I'd love for someone to come up with the concept of a retro-channel featuring TV pre-1970 ONLY!!
Thank God for websites like Hulu.com and other VOD sites like it. They have my undivided loyalty because this is the only place where a rare TV show from the 50's or 60's might occasionaly show up.

Do we realy need a 24 hour Reality Channel? Isn't there enough of this type of programming on the regular networks already? How much Big Brother and Celebrity Apprentice can one person take? I hope this channel FAILS miserably and is off the air in a year or two.
y2k3Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan

I'm watching Little House on the Prairie weekdays on CTS, which means only one thing, they're pulling the plug on it this fall. Thanks, CTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k3Joker
Thank God for websites like Hulu.com and other VOD sites like it. They have my undivided loyalty because this is the only place where a rare TV show from the 50's or 60's might occasionaly show up.
Your God is allowing Hulu to geo-block its TV shows outside the US.

Message Board
Zebra 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra 3

Your God is allowing Hulu to geo-block its TV shows outside the US.
Minor inconvenience that can be overcome. I'm in Canada.
PM me and i'll tell you how to bypass this little obstacle.

God says
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #28
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSfan
About the schedule:

-They said, in the press release, that they would be airing SCTV and Night Court, but they are nowhere to be found on the schedule.

I see SCTV and Night Court in their commercial for the new channel so it might be added a little later.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
Sal

Quote:
Minor inconvenience that can be overcome. I'm in Canada.
PM me and i'll tell you how to bypass this little obstacle.

God says

Sounds good Joker. I think I'll take you up on that offer later today.

Quote:
Big letdown with the Fall schedules this year .... a lot of the same old series are back ... nothing worth sitting down to watch.

Why aren't the shows of the 60's treated with more respect? To me this was the golden-era of television also and I'd love for someone to come up with the concept of a retro-channel featuring TV pre-1970 ONLY!!
Thank God for websites like Hulu.com and other VOD sites like it. They have my undivided loyalty because this is the only place where a rare TV show from the 50's or 60's might occasionally show up.
Also good points.

If you'd like some info on websites other than the evil Hulu where you can find 50s and 60s series, I can send you those as well. One of them is found right here in Canada and has even been given the nickname Hulu Canada although it's not even close to reaching that level yet. It's from the Rogers cable company and they've put out their own VOD network called Rogers On Demand. It's set up mainly for Rogers customers in Canada but anyone with a computer can use it without any problems. It includes programs from Crackle, a website which gets most of its content from Hulu, including full episodes of "I Dream Of Jeannie" and "Bewitched", with more to come, I hope!

Rogers On Demand

Rogers On Demand --- TV Classics List

I also want to thank our host PB for the Canadian channels news blog which appeared last week. He did a good job on it and I loved reading it. I was surprised to read about the new CTS fall schedule and the changes they are making in primetime. Some viewers must have got through to the staff and let them know how upset they were about what had happened to the schedule and why all the sitcoms had disappeared. (See? It DOES WORK sometimes. Don't ever give up. You never know.) Earlier this week, CTS made their lineup official and posted it on their website. The fall lineup will now look like this, with both Ontario and Alberta stations following nearly identical patterns:

CTS Ontario --- Fall 2010 Schedule --- As of Tuesday, Sept. 7

One of CTS's original series is called "Always Good News". For me, this lineup reads like one of those old good news/bad news jokes. The good news is that CTS will be presenting no fewer than 12 classic sitcoms this fall. The bad news is that 10 of them will be seen only once a week and all will be on within a 2 hour block from 7 to 9 pm. If you like drama you can watch "The Waltons" at 4 and "7th Heaven" at 5. You'd think that they can find room for some of the sitcoms on a daily basis. That would be a must if they want to get many of their viewers back that they lost in the last 2 years, including myself. It's a start, I'll give them credit for that, but it's not yet good enough, and that's no joke!
Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #30
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
It includes programs from Crackle, a website which gets most of its content from Hulu (...)
Starsky & Hutch is geo-blocked on Hulu, but not on Crackle.
Zebra 3 is offline   Reply With Quote