Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

One Day at a Time links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / One Day at a Time Photo Gallery

One Day at a Time - The Complete First Season

Buy One Day a Time - The Complete First Season on DVD
One Day at a Time - Season Two

Buy One Day a Time - Season Two on DVD
One Day at a Time - Season Three

Buy One Day a Time - Season Three on DVD
One Day at a Time - The Complete Series

Buy One Day a Time - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > One Day at a Time

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Never Have I Ever, Netflix's Best Sitcom; Ramy Gets Season 3 on Hulu
NBC Reviving Weakest Link; truTV's I'm Sorry Gets Charitable
HBO Max Orders Series Based on Hair Love; Comedy Central Inks Deal with John Mulaney
Dead to Me Picked Up for Final Season on Netflix; CBS All Access Orders Star Trek Animated Comedy
ABC to Rebroadcast Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family and Good Times Episodes on Tuesday (July 7); Anthony Anderson and Billy Eichner to Guest Host ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! This Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 6, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Amazon Gets Streaming Rights to Mad Men; Too Close for Comfort on Pluto TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
caladon

Default The Travel Agency episodes

When these episodes first aired, I thought it was funny that the Travel Agency was called Gonagin Travel owned by Mr. Gonagin. I always took the name Gonagin to be a joke by the writer as being a way of saying "Gone Again" which is an appropriate name for a travel agency.

Anyone else here think the same thing?
Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Works for me
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 AM   #3
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
When these episodes first aired, I thought it was funny that the Travel Agency was called Gonagin Travel owned by Mr. Gonagin. I always took the name Gonagin to be a joke by the writer as being a way of saying "Gone Again" which is an appropriate name for a travel agency.

Anyone else here think the same thing?

I didn't connect that last time around, (I was just like OMG Mr. Carlin from Bob Newhart) !! But I did tonight !

I LOVED the travel agency eps, and Season 9 in general !!!! Such a shame there wasn't a spin off show after ODAAT with Barbara, Max and Mr. Gonagin at the travel agency and Mark and baby Annie at home!!!

Max looked so cute wearing that apron !!!! I'll try some of his fish chowder!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Anna Karenina
Forum Veteran

Thought

I thought it was weird how that sporting goods store gig for Beulah lasted as long as it did. Such a boring setting. 3 years arranging basketballs? UGH!

I thought it was fun when Barb worked briefly with Ann and Nick even under false circumstances. She was so cute with her little ideas which by the way were no stupider than Ann and her lame inspirations. How the heck did Ann get to the top of the Indianapolis advertising heap with such boring campaigns in the first place? Only on TV. Thank God for Francine and her trick pelvis.

Barb should have remained Ann's office secretary instead of stagnating in that dreary old store where they were all almost murdered.

The travel agency arc was fun and I wish the show had lasted another season.

Bonnie was sick of the show by that point but she didn't need to be there every week. They could have gotten another year out of ODAT, the ratings were still respectable.
Anna Karenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Karenina
I thought it was weird how that sporting goods store gig for Beulah lasted as long as it did. Such a boring setting. 3 years arranging basketballs? UGH!

I thought it was fun when Barb worked briefly with Ann and Nick even under false circumstances. She was so cute with her little ideas which by the way were no stupider than Ann and her lame inspirations. How the heck did Ann get to the top of the Indianapolis advertising heap with such boring campaigns in the first place? Only on TV. Thank God for Francine and her trick pelvis.

Barb should have remained Ann's office secretary instead of stagnating in that dreary old store where they were all almost murdered.

The travel agency arc was fun and I wish the show had lasted another season.

Bonnie was sick of the show by that point but she didn't need to be there every week. They could have gotten another year out of ODAT, the ratings were still respectable.

Yeah it would be hard keeping a job in a store that you were held up in! I think I'd always be looking over my shoulder and have PTSD if I continued working there. Other than that I think a sporting good store would be kind of fun to work at! But not as cool as a travel agency!

I was thinking that last night, that it seemed like such a cool job, and than thinking how it's a shame travel agencies are pretty much extinct nowadays with modern technology and people pretty much just booking their own trips and vacations online!

Besides Bonnie, I had heard Valerie pretty much was finished with it too. Wanted to have more time with her marriage to Eddie! How about an 11th season with just Mark and Max raising little Annie, like the movie Three men and a baby. And have Schneider pop in now and than and of course Grandma Romano to help out!!! Ratings would have went way down I'm sure if Ann and Barbara weren't there though!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl
Max looked so cute wearing that apron !!!! I'll try some of his fish chowder!
Rule #1-Never eat fish chowder from a guy in an apron
Rule #2- Don't ignore rule 1
Old 11-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Karenina
I thought that's the direction it should have gone too. All advertising is inherently dumb anyways, until something clicks with the public. Then it's genius.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl
But not as cool as a travel agency!

I was thinking that last night, that it seemed like such a cool job, and than thinking how it's a shame travel agencies are pretty much extinct nowadays with modern technology and people pretty much just booking their own trips and vacations online!
Any travel agents reading, look away. You might get insulted. I don't see the job as exciting. You're just sitting in the office year after year, sending others on these great and wonderful trips.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:18 AM   #9
Mickey4ever
Frequent Poster

I enjoyed the travel agency episodes too!

Oh, and as a travel agent, you probably get some nice travel 'perks' and maybe some on site training at places you were sending other people so maybe not too boring afterall!
Mickey4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey4ever
I enjoyed the travel agency episodes too!

Oh, and as a travel agent, you probably get some nice travel 'perks' and maybe some on site training at places you were sending other people so maybe not too boring afterall!

I think it would be a fun job! Like you said you might get some travel perks. Probably discounts and stuff, maybe even free trips as bonus's?

As for me, I really don't like to travel, not by airplane anyway! Road trips and RV's are more my style! But I like interacting with people, and a travel agency would be a good place for that without the stress of being a store cashier or a waitress or something like that! This would be more laid back dealing with people. Helping them plan their vacation, they would be in good moods and stuff! Not a boring job at all but probably pretty kicked back! LOL!! Just be careful if you get a customer named "Mr. Jones" don't call him on his home phone if you happen to get disconnected! Because "Mrs. Jones" might not have been included in this trip!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Rule #1-Never eat fish chowder from a guy in an apron
Rule #2- Don't ignore rule 1

This was on today!!!

And I am ignoring both rules! I still think he looked adorable in that apron, and I'd love to try the fish chowder!!!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

I was going to pull this up. Bad timing on world events today with them walking in the travel agency, and Barbara saying she wanted to go to Brussels.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 PM   #13
Svenfan1234
Forum Veteran

I watched the first today and I thought it was interesting and it could have gone for another season
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #14
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
I watched the first today and I thought it was interesting and it could have gone for another season
As far as I know CBS wanted more, but Val and Bonnie were done. Hence the attempted Schneider pilot/spinoff.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #15
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
I was going to pull this up. Bad timing on world events today with them walking in the travel agency, and Barbara saying she wanted to go to Brussels.

I thought about that too!!!