Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (Sitcoms Online) / The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Photo Gallery

The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

Buy The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Christmas with the Nelsons

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Christmas with the Nelsons on DVD
Ozzie & Harriet Classics

Buy Ozzie & Harriet Classics on DVD
The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection

Buy The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Various Releases

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Various Releases on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Emily in Paris Moves to Netflix; Ravi Patel's HBO Max Comedy Docuseries Premieres Aug. 27
Get Woke on Hulu with New Comedy; Trailer for Tig n' Seek Released by HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 13, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Renews The Moodys for Second Season; NBC Preparing to Put Peacock Into Flight
Fri-Yay: Never Have I Ever, Netflix's Best Sitcom; Ramy Gets Season 3 on Hulu
NBC Reviving Weakest Link; truTV's I'm Sorry Gets Charitable
HBO Max Orders Series Based on Hair Love; Comedy Central Inks Deal with John Mulaney

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
retroTVfan4ever

Sounds like the bottom line of all of this is that a complete series DVD set of all 435 episodes in complete uncut form won't be happening which is unfortunate.
I don't want DVD's with cut up/edited episodes, I won't waste money on that junk. My O & H viewing has been limited to You Tube as I've found some uncut episodes on there.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever; 12-11-2019 at 11:54 PM.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #17
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

I'd be happy if they did anything. If you can't get the early seasons, get the later ones.

No law says you can do season sets starting with S8 for example.

Oh, and include Ricky's songs. I'd pay extra, and so probably would others.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #18
Hazel Anyday

Nodsmiley Lousy / Restored Don't Matter SEEING is all that counts

Heck, I'd be happy to buy a lousy looking public domain version of the entire series, all episodes no matter if they're restored or not. Most important thing is to be able to see them and the public domain versions I've seen are certainly watchable and and certainly very enjoyable. The RTV versions of old and the current EZ Living or whatever that channel is called they only show those public domain versions and I certainly haven't a problem watching them. Most important is to GET ALL of THEM OUT on DVD beautiful or lousy, get them out and available on DVD. I'd be happy.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #19
matt77b
Frequent Poster

It's too bad that Sam's project will apparently never reach fruition, but from a fan's point of view, between the DVD sets that were released about a dozen years ago and all of the episodes that are on Youtube (many posted by O&H crew member Jack Iannarelli's nephew, Mike Iannarelli [BandstandMike]), fans of the show certainly have plenty of O&H to watch.

Mike has even posted the 1981 KTLA O&H Christmas special featuring Dave, Harriet, and other cast members (but no Rick, who according to biographers refused to participate) and old clips. I had read about this but never saw it until he posted it. Mike also has posted the 1998 A&E Biography about the Nelsons, which David, Rick's kids, and Ozzie's brother Don all participated in.

At any rate, the DVD era, while not quite over, certainly has passed its heyday, much like with CDs. I am glad that I have the O&H DVDs that I do, but I don't need to use them to watch O&H. Much like with Rick's records--I have a lot of CDs, but even a lot of Rick's lesser known later recordings can be heard for free on YouTube, and many of his O&H performances (albeit almost always mimed) can be found on there too.
matt77b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt77b View Post
It's too bad that Sam's project will apparently never reach fruition, but from a fan's point of view, between the DVD sets that were released about a dozen years ago and all of the episodes that are on Youtube (many posted by O&H crew member Jack Iannarelli's nephew, Mike Iannarelli [BandstandMike]), fans of the show certainly have plenty of O&H to watch.

Mike has even posted the 1981 KTLA O&H Christmas special featuring Dave, Harriet, and other cast members (but no Rick, who according to biographers refused to participate) and old clips. I had read about this but never saw it until he posted it. Mike also has posted the 1998 A&E Biography about the Nelsons, which David, Rick's kids, and Ozzie's brother Don all participated in.

At any rate, the DVD era, while not quite over, certainly has passed its heyday, much like with CDs. I am glad that I have the O&H DVDs that I do, but I don't need to use them to watch O&H. Much like with Rick's records--I have a lot of CDs, but even a lot of Rick's lesser known later recordings can be heard for free on YouTube, and many of his O&H performances (albeit almost always mimed) can be found on there too.
Between all the DVD sets I bought, and YT! I probably have at least 300 of the eps. While it would have been great to get all 435, 300+ is good enough, chopped up or not.

And I know I have at least 20+ uncut eps, which is nice.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:58 AM   #21
matt77b
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts! View Post
Between all the DVD sets I bought, and YT! I probably have at least 300 of the eps. While it would have been great to get all 435, 300+ is good enough, chopped up or not.

And I know I have at least 20+ uncut eps, which is nice.
To me the nice thing about the first Shout DVD set is the commentary on four of the episodes...although Sam did not add a whole lot (I would've preferred Tracy, who knew more about the show and knew more of the people involved in the show)...but having Dave offer his commentary on those episodes was great...good thing it got done, because not long after, he was gone.
matt77b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #22
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt77b View Post
To me the nice thing about the first Shout DVD set is the commentary on four of the episodes...although Sam did not add a whole lot (I would've preferred Tracy, who knew more about the show and knew more of the people involved in the show)...but having Dave offer his commentary on those episodes was great...good thing it got done, because not long after, he was gone.
Yes I liked the Shout sets a lot too.

But the best set I Ever got was an old VHS cassette 20 years ago from Madacy. It had 4 uncut eps on it - all fantastic(Ozzie’s Night Out, The Motorcycles, The Fraternity Pin, Wally’s Traffic Ticket)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #23
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday View Post
Heck, I'd be happy to buy a lousy looking public domain version of the entire series, all episodes no matter if they're restored or not. Most important thing is to be able to see them and the public domain versions I've seen are certainly watchable and and certainly very enjoyable. The RTV versions of old and the current EZ Living or whatever that channel is called they only show those public domain versions and I certainly haven't a problem watching them. Most important is to GET ALL of THEM OUT on DVD beautiful or lousy, get them out and available on DVD. I'd be happy.
If you know the show, would love to discuss an ep. Pick one of your favs and/ or maybe a theme and we all can discuss. While I am a A-ZGame Junkie - Id rather mainline on this!
Old 05-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #24
RD4
Frequent Poster

Default I met with Sam

I met with Sam a while back. The challenge is simple: to clean up, frame by frame, each episode, then digitize each is very expensive. So expensive it most likely outweighs the revenue from sales. Why? Because the episodes are already readily available for free or very little money on DVD. How many consumers are there that would spend what it would cost to by the best quality episodes when they already have access to pretty good quality now?
RD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #25
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

That's a great point. The fact that they're public domain would make it hard to make money. One thing that's lacking--almost all of the final season, produced originally in color, either has copies that look really bad, or are from 16mm black and white prints. A good production of the color episodes would be a definite plus.

Also if 35mm prints of the color episodes exist, I'd buy it even if it wasn't remastered, but merely run onto DVD.

One issue would be Rick's performances, but the family owns the music, as I understand it.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #26
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

I think a box set of personal videos, interviews, reminiscing, and a few very high quality eps with uncut commercials, might sell well. ,
Old 05-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #27
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

The complete episode, as originally produced, is something that's missing in the DVD era. You'd think they would have gone all out for Andy Griffith, for example. But really there are only some of them with the original cast commercials intact. The original closing credits are played over Andy and Opie returning from the fishing, but these are all on the DVDs playing over a plain background (as they do in videotape syndication). Old syndication film copies of some of the color episodes retained the original closing credits, some of which are on Youtube (as are some of the B/W ones).

With O&H many of the episodes on public domain DVDs are complete with original brought-to-you-bys, and the original commercials--a definite plus.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #28
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday View Post
Absolutely, that would be nice. But I’ve kind of resigned myself this isn’t very likely to happen. I know hard core collectors can probably get over 400 of the 435. I’m content with access to about 300-325. Probably 25 are complete with the commercials. But yeah, a complete 435 ep set, even with flaws, would be fantastic.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:16 AM   #29
Dan Tullis
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD4 View Post
I met with Sam a while back. The challenge is simple: to clean up, frame by frame, each episode, then digitize each is very expensive. So expensive it most likely outweighs the revenue from sales. Why? Because the episodes are already readily available for free or very little money on DVD. How many consumers are there that would spend what it would cost to by the best quality episodes when they already have access to pretty good quality now?
If this is the case, then why hasn't he gone public with this information? He should just be honest and tell all those who contributed to his kickstarter campaign that "it's not going to happen, and everyone will get their money back".
Dan Tullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #30
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tullis View Post
If this is the case, then why hasn't he gone public with this information? He should just be honest and tell all those who contributed to his kickstarter campaign that "it's not going to happen, and everyone will get their money back".
As much as I hate saying it, I’m always skeptical of fundraising efforts like this, and just gave an amount I’d be OK losing. I only gave $50 and did get a credit mention, a cute t shirt and a photo. So I’m not angry at all, feel more badly for Sam as I think the disappointment and difficulties hit him hard—maybe embarrassed him.

I definitely think Sam is forthright, honest and meant well, but didn’t realize this project was too difficult to actuate. And everything he said he would do, and could do, he did do—at least IMO. It was just too big and difficult of a project