Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default MEEGO: Was This The Worst Show of the '90s?

http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2009/03/...ow-of-90s.html

Quote:
While looking at the Spinoff/Crossover site, I came across this page about a 1997 show called Meego, which the author provocatively calls "The worst show of all time." I thought I had seen or at least heard of all the cheesy shows from the Miller-Boyett factory, but I missed this one, which ran after Family Matters when it moved to CBS in 1997-8 (and started, of course, with two crossover appearances by Urkel). He makes a pretty convincing case for its horribleness:

It was a cross between Alf and Charles In Charge. Start crying now. But allow me to expand on that description. Meego starred Perfect Stranger's Bronson Pinchot as Meego, a nanny who was really a space alien with magical powers watching over a family of kids that included Jerry Maguire's Jonathan Lipnicki.
If you are a fan of Meego and I have grossly offended you I am very sor... oh heck I can say it. I'm NOT sorry. IT WAS MEEGO FOOL!!!

By this point, Miller-Boyett had actually changed its name to Miller-Boyett-Warren, having absorbed half of the Bill Bickley/Michael Warren team that wrote and produced most of its shows. (Bill Bickley, apparently sensing that the bottom was about to fall out of the cheesy family comedy market, had retired.) CBS picked up the M-B shows that ABC had dropped, plus this new one, and tried to go head to head with TGIF.

I remember at the time I was still watching Sabrina (in its second season) and would sometimes check out the other supernatural comedies ABC ordered in a desperate attempt to cash in on the success of Sabrina, Al Jean and Mike Reiss's Teen Angel and Michael Jacobs' You Wish, but I never watched a moment of Meego, presumably because I wasn't watching Family Matters either.

Anyway, Meego was clearly a CBS attempt to pull a Sabrina by doing a supernatural comedy of their own, and M-B did their usual thing, borrowing heavily from previous shows they'd been involved with (Mork and Mindy, Perfect Strangers). As always, they put together a decent supporting cast (including Michelle Trachtenberg, available after the cancellation of The Adventures of Pete & Pete). But the title sequence is terrible, and the theme song kind of sounds like a Mork knockoff too.

I phrased the subject heading as a question because, having never seen a full episode of this series, I have no idea if it really was the worst show of its era. It seems like a good candidate, though, based on the few clips I've seen. One clip appears to be from an episode where the teenage boy uses some kind of alien gizmo to force a girl to like him. And then the Valuable Lesson is that people should like you for who you are, whereas the Valuable Lesson should be that this character is basically a rapist.

I'm so disgusted by that clip that I will stop there. So I have no desire to see more of this to find out if it's truly the worst show of the '90s, but at the very least, I think it's clearly worse than You Wish or Teen Angel or any of the other Sabrina ripoffs.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Bob Denver, Russell Johnson, and Dawn Wells made a cameo on it so it can't be the worst-lol

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
gilligan fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

To be honest, I'd never even heard of it until now.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
howierules86
Forum Veteran

^Meego was one of CBS' attempts to compete with ABC at having a Friday night sitcom block in the fall of 1997 after having "rescued" both Family Matters and Step By Step for another season (why?), and the other new sitcom that bombed was a self-titled one for the late Gregory Hines. Personally, I thought ABC still had the better TGIF shows at that time (Sabrina & Boy Meets World were still decent to watch, and Teen Angel at least had some potential to it, unlike You Wish).

And many other very talented ladies too.
howierules86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
zachattack12
Frequent Poster

I saw one episode, it wasn't THAT bad. Sure it was bad, and rather creepy. But Bronson Pinchot was pretty funny, and Ed Begley, Jr. had some moments. Granted he was barely onscreen, but he was amusingly doofy when he was on. The kids were mediocre at best, as pretty much every sitcom kid is. And the writing was horrendous. But I've seen worse.
zachattack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
To be honest, I'd never even heard of it until now.

Probably because it was on during the weak era of TGIF lol

ANd on top of that it came on at 9:30pm I think
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Probably because it was on during the weak era of TGIF lol

ANd on top of that it came on at 9:30pm I think

It was 8:30 E/T. I have the CBS Friday block party from 1997 on tape. I never took the time to watch the show. I think I will. I saw one tag scene where Bronson Pinchot goes "Okey dokey, Alex". LOL. I wanna see more.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
It was 8:30 E/T. I have the CBS Friday block party from 1997 on tape. I never took the time to watch the show. I think I will. I saw one tag scene where Bronson Pinchot goes "Okey dokey, Alex". LOL. I wanna see more.

At that time I had stopped recording Family matters on Fridays nights when I went out on Friday nights on my college campus LOL
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
JO Sweet Heart

Can any of this show be seen anywhere at the You Tube website at all? I LOVE Bronson Pinchot!!!

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
Old 05-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
funky-rat
Zit Remedy Groupie
Frequent Poster

I don't know....."On Our Own" was pretty bad. Another TGIF Miller-Boyett stinker, and one season wonder from the mid-90's.

Mrs. Doubtfire premise rip-off type thing. All of the Smollet kids (they were all pretty little) with a big brother played by another actor - not one of the family. Their parents die, and he dresses up like an "aunt" to keep CPS off of their backs.

Terrible, IMO. I don't even remember Meego, so that must say something.

"NO!! Your ages COMBINED would not make you old enough!"
funky-rat is offline   Reply With Quote