Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
Green Acres - Complete Series

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #31
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
But the Clampett's knew Sam Drucker and wasn't there an episode where all the cast from all three series did a Christmas episode?

Yes!! And Granny also came to visit when Betty Jo had Kathy Jo! I'm guessing that since Pearl and Kate were supposed to be distant cousins the Clampetts visited her in Hooterville years before and that is how they know Sam!

Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #32
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I have another reason why I don't think Hooterville is in California!

If it was in Central California where the farming/rural area is. That is only about 3 hours drive from Los Angeles! I don't think Lisa would be that upset if she lived so close to LA! Fantastic shopping, restaurants all the stuff NY would have to offer. I mean she couldn't go there everyday. But Oliver and her sure could take some weekend trips there. Also San Francisco is only a few hours away too. Plus it wouldn't be far to go to the beautiful beaches along the central coast.

They always are saying how Hooterville was in the middle of nowhere, central, rural California seems like it is in the mid west or the South but it isn't far from big cities! As I said, Lisa probably wouldn't have been that upset to live there if it was in California!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #33
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I always thought Hooterville was in Illinois because there was an episode of Petticoat Junction from season one where a contest was held and the winner would win a trip to Chicago. On Green Acres, Oliver would take trips over to Chicago. I think in the pilot or 2nd episode, Lisa thought Chicago may be near Hooterville as she got her hopes that they'd be able to go. So that is why I thought Hooterville in Illinois.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #34
pkripper001
Forum Regular

ThomasE, your answer seems to be logical, if all the information are facts.
Here is my take on it,since some say it is in the south.
I think it could be in Georgia, at GA-89 N/US-441 N.
This is the location of Homerville,Georgia and could be a parody of that location.
Back in the 1960's,that could have called the middle of nowhere,since development in the 300 mile radius,or more,did not take off until the late 1970's.
pkripper001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #35
tommy b
Frequent Poster

Homerville Georgia is only about 100 miles from Jacksonville and even closer to other coastal cities making for easy day trips. I think Hooterville would have to be inconvenient driving to the nearest metro area or Oliver would have taken Lisa at least semi-regularly to keep her from "farm fever" and grab himself a choice meal once in awhile. Maybe he did, but they never showed it, he never seemed to lose any weight from not eating Lisa's "cooking"
tommy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #36
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

In one episode, Oliver does clearly mention Chicago being somewhere in the proximity of "300 miles" from Hooterville. If we're to take this as fact, it would rule out a lot of distant location hypotheses.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #37
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I'm still sticking to my theory that Hooterville is in the tri state area of Southeastern Missouri /Southwestern Illinois /Northern Arkansas area! Which basically would be the Ozarks!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #38
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but in "The Beverly Hillbillies" episode "Christmas in Hooterville", the characters are not wearing any coats and it appears to be warm. So, wherever Hooterville is, it's not cold in December.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #39
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

in that episode, they aren't wearing coats when they're on the plane, but when they arrive at their cabin they're wearing them along with hats and Mr. Brewster's wearing one too. Also in the next episode which is the second part of that one it's snowing and at the beginning Jed, Granny & Jethro are sitting by the fire because it's so cold.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #40
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
in that episode, they aren't wearing coats when they're on the plane, but when they arrive at their cabin they're wearing them along with hats and Mr. Brewster's wearing one too. Also in the next episode which is the second part of that one it's snowing and at the beginning Jed, Granny & Jethro are sitting by the fire because it's so cold.
I think you're talking about the episode "Home for Christmas". I'm talking about the episode "Christmas in Hooterville" from season 7 when Granny and the clan visit The Shady Rest hotel.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #41
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
I think you're talking about the episode "Home for Christmas". I'm talking about the episode "Christmas in Hooterville" from season 7 when Granny and the clan visit The Shady Rest hotel.
oh ok.I've never seen that one.
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:23 AM   #42
Will Dockery
Shadowville All-Stars
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
As mentioned elsewhere in regard to the Henning series: Paul Henning's wife was from Missouri, and her tales of her own childhood inspired the premise for Petticoat Junction -- which of course led to Green Acres later. Something to keep in mind, though no region is ever specified on the shows themselves.
Oh, I was just on the Petticoat Junction thread and I think a poster there mentioned... rural Illinois?

I'll check back there and repost here, unless this thread eventually solves the mystery, and I just arrived here.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #43
Will Dockery
Shadowville All-Stars
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl
I'm still sticking to my theory that Hooterville is in the tri state area of Southeastern Missouri /Southwestern Illinois /Northern Arkansas area! Which basically would be the Ozarks!
This seems to fit the location offered by the poster over on the Petticoat Junction forum, and in the Ozarks, Hooterville would be relatively close to Bugtussle, et cetera?

Will Dockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:29 AM   #44
Will Dockery
Shadowville All-Stars
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl
Yes!! And Granny also came to visit when Betty Jo had Kathy Jo! I'm guessing that since Pearl and Kate were supposed to be distant cousins the Clampetts visited her in Hooterville years before and that is how they know Sam!

Yes, the family connection was made pretty clear, but there was no specific statements as to locations of their former homes?
Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 AM   #45
Will Dockery
Shadowville All-Stars
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkripper001
ThomasE, your answer seems to be logical, if all the information are facts.
Here is my take on it,since some say it is in the south.
I think it could be in Georgia, at GA-89 N/US-441 N.
This is the location of Homerville,Georgia and could be a parody of that location.
Back in the 1960's,that could have called the middle of nowhere,since development in the 300 mile radius,or more,did not take off until the late 1970's.
Could be, but Hooterville folks seemed to never be quite "Deep South" enough to be all the way down here in Georgia or Alabama. I always kind of imagined more rural areas that didn't have the "twang" the South would give their accents and attitudes... see Andy Griffith Show and Hee Haw for more of that style.