Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Default Who has seen “My World And Welcome to It”?

My World And Welcome to It was an NBC comedy based on the works of American humorist James Thurber. It starred William Windom as a magazine cartoonist (based on Thurber), Joan Hotchkis as his wife, and Lisa Gerritsen as his daughter. It combined live action and animation. Despite Windom winning an Emmy as Best Comedy actor, the series was cancelled after one season (1969-70).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xqGa0hzDVnc

My guess is that the humor was too wry and highbrow to appeal to a large audience (or so the NBC execs thought). Maybe if it had debuted after the “rural purge”, the network would have stuck with it longer.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Alan Brady's Hair

It also won the Emmy for best comedy. I have fond but vague memories, haven't seen it since it first aired.

There were a lot of quiet, quirky shows - My World, Bill Cosby, Room 222, Nanny and the Professor, even Jimmy Stewart's show - in that period. I suspect that the success of live audience shows wiped out that trend.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
retroTVfan4ever

The "Meet Corliss Archer" TV series from the 1950's also has brief animation sequences interspersed with the live action scenes.

My World And Welcome To It is an interesting show, I also have some memories of it from the original run. If it would be released on DVD I'd probably buy it.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

DVD sets of My World And Welcome To It are currently on ebay, but these appear to be bootleg sets with episodes probably recorded from TV, so it's questionable if the episodes are edited or how good the quality is. Probably better to wait and see if the series gets an official DVD release.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever View Post
DVD sets of My World And Welcome To It are currently on ebay, but these appear to be bootleg sets with episodes probably recorded from TV, so it's questionable if the episodes are edited or how good the quality is. Probably better to wait and see if the series gets an official DVD release.
If the series has been mostly forgotten or its cult following is too small, chances are it won’t get an official DVD release.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Alan Brady's Hair

The wikipedia page says that it's still controlled for distribution by NBCUniversal, so maybe it will turn up on the streaming service they're working on.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
If the series has been mostly forgotten or its cult following is too small, chances are it won’t get an official DVD release.
There have been several short lived, one season sitcoms that got released on DVD. Blondie 1957, My Mother The Car, It's About Time, Good Morning World, and Lotsa Luck are a few examples. I don't think any of these shows have a tremendously large following so I'd say My World And Welcome To It has a chance. Probably not a big chance, but there's a chance unless there are other circumstances like music rights issues or elements problems with the episodes that might prevent a DVD release.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
Hazel Anyday

Smile Let's Travel Back

I only saw this show when it was first shown, so this requires my memory banks to activate. I do remember I liked it as a kid and I remember it as being a quiet but amusing little show. I remember those Thurber drawings they'd use. I had read a James Thurber book before seeing the show so that was probably why I watched at all. Was it a laugh riot? No, but it was a nice little show.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

I remember seeing it as a young teenager and rather liked the show.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday View Post
I only saw this show when it was first shown, so this requires my memory banks to activate. I do remember I liked it as a kid and I remember it as being a quiet but amusing little show. I remember those Thurber drawings they'd use. I had read a James Thurber book before seeing the show so that was probably why I watched at all. Was it a laugh riot? No, but it was a nice little show.
I liked the drawings too but I have trouble remembering much about the actual episodes since I was just a kid.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I would like to see the show with William Windom. I think this show followed his The Farmers Daughter. Would be interested in seeing Lisa before her role of Bess Lindstrom on Mary Tyler Moore.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote