Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
Green Acres - Complete Series

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
PhoenixAcres

Default Ralph Monroe - most underrated character

I think Ralph's time on the series is underrated. Mary Grace Canfield brought so much to that role. You could count on Ralph for chipper optimism ("Howdy Doody!"), sly arrogance toward Mr. Douglas, and emotional range when it came to boyfriend "Hanky". She was a rich fully developed character.

She seemed to be the only one of the townsfolk who was on Oliver's level of intelligence and who understood his confusion, despite disapproving of his frustration just the same. With that she was capable of firing unexpected insults and jabs back at him. One of my favorite Ralph moments was in "The Thing" when a massive crate is delivered to the farm.

When Lisa explains some ridiculous old Hungarian method of getting the crate open, Oliver says "What???"

Ralph then repeats what Lisa said.

Oliver: (frustrated) "I heard her the first time."

Ralph: (matter-of-factly with a tone of impatience) "But you didn't understand her. I could tell by the blank look on your face."

Ralph routinely defied Mr. Douglas by responding with the same self-assured and condescending attitude, making scenes between them comic gold. It's actually my belief that Ralph worked best when Alf wasn't in the picture. Not to say they didn't have their good moments as well, but Ralph was an extremely funny, well-written character all by herself.

I remember reading that Ms. Canfield never once over the course of the show was guaranteed a contract by Jay Sommers. That just seems wrong and a terrible shame. She was forced to live episode-by-episode, being brought in only when the occasional script required her. As one of my favorite characters on the show I would have loved if she was a full-fledged regular like Eb or Mr. Haney. But of course, that just makes her time on the series even more valuable.
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Alan Brady's Hair

I think this is mostly right. Everyone has their little moments - like when the whole valley is planting based on Doris's lumbago, and she's actually just playing hooky - but, yes, I think Ralph is most consistent in showing some functional brain cells.

As I was reading through, I was going to mention the thing where the extended cast was stuck, typecast in the role but still formally week-to-week. You have to wonder how all of that could have worked out today, with these huge deals people get.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 AM   #3
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I LOVED Ralph Monroe!! She was one of my favorite characters on Green Acres!!!!

Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Ralph Monroe, and Fred & Doris Ziffel (the original Doris) are my 3 favorite characters from GA. This show had one of the best supporting casts in TV history.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
Ralph Monroe, and Fred & Doris Ziffel (the original Doris) are my 3 favorite characters from GA. This show had one of the best supporting casts in TV history.

I totally agree! Those three were my favorite characters too!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

I thought Ralph was pretty funny especially with those deadpan expressions she would often make. She was much funnier than her brother Alf.
Attached Images

AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
Pegbars
Occasional Poster

I have a lot of favorite characters on this show! Ralph is one. And who can't help but love Lisa! Arnold is a favorite, as well. Fred Ziffel is cool. I love Pat Buttram, but I actually want to kill him as Mr. Haney. Hank Kimball is uber funny, although he's uber annoying at the same time. Sam Drucker probably has the most common sense of all the townsfolk. Joe Carson I always wanted to kill, too. He's just a heartless con man.
Pegbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:32 AM   #8
vitoscotti
Frequent Poster

Howdy doody.
vitoscotti is offline   Reply With Quote