Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
Green Acres - Complete Series

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Frump

Default When Oliver is not around....

I know the theme of the show is Oliver is like the only normal person living in a surreal world where everyone is weird. But have you noticed when Oliver is NOT around and other Green Acres characters interact with eachother, they act pretty normal. Like in a few episodes I remember Oliver was not there and Lisa and Eb were alone and interacting and they acted pretty normal and were just having a normal conversation, but when Oliver comes in they start acting NUTS again.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
PhoenixAcres

I disagree actually. With few exceptions, the characters are who they are regardless of if Oliver is in the scene. His presence, and futile attempts to rationalize things, may simply highlight the absurdity of the situation. But I think when they are left by themselves, they are still able to operate on the same logic, albeit without straight man Oliver to react. In "The Agricultural Student", there are scenes in Mr. Kimball's office where a lot of the characters interact, with Oliver nowhere to be seen, and they act just as zany and weird. Also, anytime there's a visitor to the farm (especially the deputy sheriff/detective played by Bob Hastings), and Lisa answers the door for example, she is absolutely in character. These scenes were effective I think, but it was unusual for Oliver's absence to be so prominent.

It's also worth noting that all the characters were likely insane to some degree, but none of them were "stupid", with the sole exception of Mr. Kimball. Lisa and Eb came close, especially as the years progressed, but you have to wonder how much of that was play-acting to amuse/frustrate Oliver. Eb once said (in one of the later seasons), "I get so used to playing the court jester for Mr. Douglas, I almost forgot I have a serious side."

So yes, their behavior is probably influenced to some extent by Oliver's presence, but generally the characters on the show are very consistently written.
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Alan Brady's Hair

I think Kimball's more absent-minded than stupid. The main thing he has to know on the show is that Oliver's a pretty hopeless farmer, and he obviously knows that. He's pretty good at slipping away from Ralph, too.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair
I think Kimball's more absent-minded than stupid. The main thing he has to know on the show is that Oliver's a pretty hopeless farmer, and he obviously knows that. He's pretty good at slipping away from Ralph, too.
Yeah I guess you could say that. While he is slow, he does occasionally have flickers of competency of the situation. There are rare occasions where he recognizes that Oliver is insulting him, but moves on.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
Fontaine
Frequent Poster

Weren't the roles reversed when the series first started? Oliver was the nutty one and Lisa was the sane one who hated the country life.
Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontaine
Weren't the roles reversed when the series first started? Oliver was the nutty one and Lisa was the sane one who hated the country life.
Yep. It's actually kind of disorienting when I'm watching the first five or so episodes because of that. Over the course of season 1, Lisa developed her more unusual worldview and Oliver became hopelessly stranded with a sane mindset in an insane world and developed his reputation as a hothead. Personally, I found the roles they eventually settled on much better than how it started.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
TheLittleFairy
Frequent Poster

I forget the episode, but I remember a time Mr Kimbal and Eb were alone and were talking pretty normal to each other.
TheLittleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump
I know the theme of the show is Oliver is like the only normal person living in a surreal world where everyone is weird. But have you noticed when Oliver is NOT around and other Green Acres characters interact with eachother, they act pretty normal. Like in a few episodes I remember Oliver was not there and Lisa and Eb were alone and interacting and they acted pretty normal and were just having a normal conversation, but when Oliver comes in they start acting NUTS again.
I'm not sure I'd even call him normal. I'd say a normal person who's a successful lawyer could want to become a farmer and adopt the rural life. But would a normal person buy a dump like that, especially one who's supposedly a smart lawyer? We know Haney can't normally put one over on him, yet he did with Green Acres. I suppose you could say his farming obsession was driving him.

Also, would a normal person make long orations about the American farmer? When he was doing that, Drucker (one who's fairly normal), Ziffel, Kiley, Lisa, etc. thought HE was nuts.

There's no doubt he was in a surreal world, but to me, he was part of it too, in his own way.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:01 AM   #9
TheLittleFairy
Frequent Poster

I agree, and sometimes he could see the opening credits, once he remarked, "We get a credit for THAT?!" or something like that lol

I think he bought the Haney place with high hopes of fixing it up. But as we see 25 years later the Monroe brothers were STILL working on the bedroom, closet STILL wasn't enclosed lol
Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
I'm not sure I'd even call him normal. I'd say a normal person who's a successful lawyer could want to become a farmer and adopt the rural life. But would a normal person buy a dump like that, especially one who's supposedly a smart lawyer? We know Haney can't normally put one over on him, yet he did with Green Acres. I suppose you could say his farming obsession was driving him.

Also, would a normal person make long orations about the American farmer? When he was doing that, Drucker (one who's fairly normal), Ziffel, Kiley, Lisa, etc. thought HE was nuts.

There's no doubt he was in a surreal world, but to me, he was part of it too, in his own way.
I agree with this assessment.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleFairy
I agree, and sometimes he could see the opening credits, once he remarked, "We get a credit for THAT?!" or something like that lol
There were only two times in the show's history where Oliver acknowledged the show's credits. First in the Arnold Gets Drafted episode (2.03) and then in "Never Start Talking unless your voice comes out" (2.22). In the latter it says "Carpentry by Alf and Ralph" and Oliver says they aren't supposed to get credit!!

Eventually it became a source of Oliver's frustration when they only showed up to other characters.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #12
TheLittleFairy
Frequent Poster

The biggest thing that makes Oliver strange is him doing farm work in a business suit and tie lol And he apparantly never eats!! He always sits down at the table, takes one bite of Lisa's cooking and then jumps up to get to work!

I know many ppl have speculated that Oliver sneaks off to Pixlie once a day for at least one decent meal lol
Old 02-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #13
Chip J
Frequent Poster

It, also, depends on whether or not the characters from Petticoat Junction appeared. Whenever they show up, it tends to be more normal. That said, Sam Drucker seemed to be the only other character than Oliver who seemed normal.
Chip J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:29 AM   #14
TheLittleFairy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip J
It, also, depends on whether or not the characters from Petticoat Junction appeared. Whenever they show up, it tends to be more normal. That said, Sam Drucker seemed to be the only other character than Oliver who seemed normal.

To me Drucker was the go-between between the normal world and the Twilight Zone world lol, He sorta fit into both, but I noticed he sorta had to translate for Oliver and the other Hooterville residence.