Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Fall 2021 Schedule; Rewind TV Launch Schedule Beginning September 1
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April-August)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Icon

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Talking What Are Some Of Your Favorite Childhood TV Viewing Memories???

What are some of your happiest memories watching TV as a youth? It could be watching a particular show, marathon, telethon, cartoon etc.

For instance,

I remember being so excited on Thanksgiving mornings waking up early to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. I would wake up a few hours before the parade started. I remember sitting through the 'Today' show with Jane Pauley just to watch the parade.

I also remember the night BEFORE Thanksgiving and being able to stay up late and watch Johnny Carson and the tonight show. That was a special treat.

What about you?

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
old grouch

Saturday morning cartoons, especially 'The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show' and 'Scooby Doo'

Coming home after school and watching 'The Flintstones', 'Gilligan's Island' and 'The Brady Bunch'

Watching 'Happy Days' and 'Laverne and Shirley' on Tuesday nights.
old grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Icon

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Smile

I remember Saturday Nights (I think) where my family sat around the tv and watched the variety show, 'Sha na na' That was also a happy memory for me.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Legend

I remember the agony of having to wake up by 7:00am every morning to get ready for school, but it was no problem at all to wake up at 5am Saturday mornings to watch tv.

I used to get up very early to watch "Peppermint Place", don't know if anyone else remembers this one.

When I was a bit older, around 7th or 8th grade, I used to watch Nickelodeon's SNICK programming Saturday nights.

My favorite lineup was:

8:00pm - "The Secret World of Alex Mack"
8:30pm - "All That"
9:00pm - "Ren and Stimpy"
9:30pm - "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

Then I waited for "MadTV" on Fox that came on at 11pm.

Then "Tales from the Crypt" right after from 12am-1am.

Those were probably my favorite tv viewings as a child.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Mr. Television
18 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Icon

I have a lot of happy memories. My favorite ones were when the whole family would sit around the tv and watch. We used to do that quite often. The Sunday Night Mystery Movie was one of my favorite nights. It was the only school night that I was allowed to stay up until 11. I also remember we'd sit around watching AITF.

Back in 1974-75 My parents and I would go over to their friends house every Friday night. They would all go in the kitchen to play cards and I'd sit in the living room watching Sanford, Chico and the Man and The Rockford Files. I loved those nights.

I also used to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings for cartoons. Kids today have no idea what they are missing. And the fall premieres for the cartoons where as big as the prime-time shows back then. It was a special time.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Regulus
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
I also used to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings for cartoons. Kids today have no idea what they are missing. And the fall premieres for the cartoons where as big as the prime-time shows back then. It was a special time.
I Second you on this one!

Fortunately, most of the Cartoons we used to watch on Saturday Mornings are now available on DVD in one form or another. If you have kids do them a favor and purchase these sets, them show them what REAL CARTOONS Look Like.

Bucket List Shows: Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run, Westwood
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
brianjohnson1984
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
I Second you on this one!
Fortunately, most of the Cartoons we used to watch on Saturday Mornings are now available on DVD in one form or another. If you have kids do them a favor and purchase these sets, them show them what REAL CARTOONS Look Like.
I'll "third" that too...

Saturday morning cartoons and watching ABC's TGIF block every Friday night in the 90's were two of my childhood traditions.
brianjohnson1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
hawkeye123

My fondest memories are every friday night watching tgif with my grandma Mary.She was my best friend.I would go over to her house after school every friday and stay the weekend and we would watch tgif.I think the orignal one i remember watching was perfect strangers, full house, mr belvedare ,and just the ten of us.But i can't recall for sure.

Then of course saturday morning cartoons.I loved bugs bunny, coyote and road runner, or daffy and porky pig etc.Then that night it was either golden girls, and empty nest, with grandma or cops with grandpa.Sometime down the road touched by an angel and promised land came on to and we loved to watch those.

We also watched the macy's days parade that was really cool and of course all the christmas shows during christmas time we're great.White Christmas and miracle on 34th street.Those are some of my best memories.That i can think of.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Regulus
Forum 3K Club Member

I remember watching all the NASA Gemini and Apollo Launches and Splashdowns on TV, and celebrating when Niel Armstrong became the first Human to set foot on the Moon. I longed for the day I would be in Florida to watch a launch with my own eyes. I finally got my wish in 1977, when I got to see the Voyager II Space Probe launched on a Titan III Rocket. Ever since I moved to Florida in 2000 I've gone to Cape Canaveral to watch a launch every chance I get!

BTW The next launch is JUNE 18.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
hawkeye123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
I remember watching all the NASA Gemini and Apollo Launches and Splashdowns on TV, and celebrating when Niel Armstrong became the first Human to set foot on the Moon. I longed for the day I would be in Florida to watch a launch with my own eyes. I finally got my wish in 1977, when I got to see the Voyager II Space Probe launched on a Titan III Rocket. Ever since I moved to Florida in 2000 I've gone to Cape Canaveral to watch a launch every chance I get!

BTW The next launch is JUNE 18.

That's very cool.I would love to see a launch someday.I bet it is loud.
hawkeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Regulus
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123
That's very cool.I would love to see a launch someday.I bet it is loud.

Here's how loud it is! LOUD-O-METER

}-- 1 --------------- 2 --------------------3-----------------4{

1. - Main Street Daytona Beach during Bike Week

2. - Boeing 747 Taking Off

3. - Rock & Roll Concert

4. - Cape Canaveral Rocket Launch
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
UMFaninMD
I love a mystery

Nickelodeon in the 80's was a blast. Pinwheel, Today's Special, You Can't Do That On Television, Mr. Wizard and Out of Control were tops for me. There was also Livewire, a talk show for kids and teens, they would also air afterschool specials on Sunday nights, and I think they also aired The Tomorrow People. It was awesome having shows just for you that weren't dumbed down, that treated you like a kid, but a kid with a brain.

I also have fond memories of my grandparents and I watching Murder, She Wrote, Matlock, The Love Boat, The Golden Girls, Unsolved Mysteries, and a ton of other shows together. My grandmother even watched The Incredible Hulk with me and when I wasn't in school, I would watch soaps with her. She was an NBC fan, so it was Days of Our Lives, Another World, Search For Tomorrow (after it moved from CBS), and later, Santa Barbara. There was also a cool PBS daytime block, and when I was in 2nd grade, my teacher Ms. Pelletier would show those to us in the morning.

People get irritated when we get nostalgic, but I have to say television was a lot better back then. I know each decade had their duds, but I am glad I grew up in the era before reality took over.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Adamantium
TVAdam No More
Forum Veteran

I had an 8 o'clock bedtime as a young kid in the 1980s but every Monday, my sister and I could stay up and watch "ALF" on NBC.

TGIF was another big part of my TV life. That block of programming grew up with me in a way. When I graduated from high school in 2000, that's when it ended.

I always say (and this may seem kind of sad to others) but my fondest childhood memories revolve around the TV. In 1989, I learned how to use our VCR, so I could record reruns of "Batman" that aired on The Family Channel. I was a big Nickelodeon kid watching such shows as "Hey Dude", "Salute Your Shorts", "Welcome Freshmen", "Fifteen" and the Nick Toons.

Saturday mornings were always big for me. I remember waking up to find my older sister already awake and in the middle of watching "Muppet Babies."

As I got older and was able to stay up later, I'd watch Nick at Nite every night when they aired shows like My Three Sons, The Donna Reed Show, Dobie Gillis, etc. In fact, I remember the time my younger sister started crawling was when an episode of My Three Sons was on. I don't remember the exact episode but it was a black and white episode that had Uncle Charley in it.

I also have very fond memories of watching The Three Stooges on TV. They used to air on Saturday mornings and later on, they aired on TBS at 6:05 in the morning. So I'd wake up early and record them.

I even went through a phase where I loved infomercials and recorded a bunch of them - just the unintentionally funny ones (that includes those Psychic Friends infomercials, too).
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
hawkeye123

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
Nickelodeon in the 80's was a blast. Pinwheel, Today's Special, You Can't Do That On Television, Mr. Wizard and Out of Control were tops for me. There was also Livewire, a talk show for kids and teens, they would also air afterschool specials on Sunday nights, and I think they also aired The Tomorrow People. It was awesome having shows just for you that weren't dumbed down, that treated you like a kid, but a kid with a brain.

I also have fond memories of my grandparents and I watching Murder, She Wrote, Matlock, The Love Boat, The Golden Girls, Unsolved Mysteries, and a ton of other shows together. My grandmother even watched The Incredible Hulk with me and when I wasn't in school, I would watch soaps with her. She was an NBC fan, so it was Days of Our Lives, Another World, Search For Tomorrow (after it moved from CBS), and later, Santa Barbara. There was also a cool PBS daytime block, and when I was in 2nd grade, my teacher Ms. Pelletier would show those to us in the morning.

People get irritated when we get nostalgic, but I have to say television was a lot better back then. I know each decade had their duds, but I am glad I grew up in the era before reality took over.

My Grandma loved murder she wrote,Matlock and Golden girls as well.And i am very glad i grew up when i did too.It was a great time with great family shows.
hawkeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Mr. Television
18 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD

Speaking of that, My Grandmother used to watch Mr. Rogers with me. I used to watch Another World with my Mom in the early 70's and in the 80's I used to watch Guiding Light with her after school. There's nothing wrong with nostalgia. It's part of who we are.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote