Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Chit Chat - Main Board / Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-20-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
Sitcomwriter
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to Sitcomwriter Send a message via AIM to Sitcomwriter Send a message via Yahoo to Sitcomwriter
Angry Favorite NOT Favourite!!!!!!!! (Dumb USA Vs. UK rant post)

EWWWWWWWWW I HATE It when UK people say "Favourite".It's FAVORITE no U!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRY THAT FOR ONCE!!

LOL!

Sorry just had to get that off my chest!
Sitcomwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:52 AM   #2
Bootsy Whoosh
Storms abrewin'...

Geez, get over your ethnocentric self!

Why do they have to try it without the U? Why don't you try it with the U? Ever think of that?
Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character for it will become your destiny. - unknown
Bootsy Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:20 AM   #3
Czas na Zywiec
what up
Forum Star

Yea, Bootsy is right. What seems different to us, is the norm for them. They could be thinking that WE are the wierd ones saying it wrong, but you never know. They just grew up saying that.
Czas na Zywiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:31 AM   #4
Warm & Fuzzy
Forum Fanatic

It's kind of like COLOR and COLOUR.... I personally see nothing wrong with adding an U.

Just as some people like to spell CENTER.. CENTRE and THEATHER...THEATHRE

Warm & Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:33 AM   #5
LucyFan
Still Loving Lucy!
Forum Veteran

I'm not taking sides, but I like the American's version of the word "Favorite" better than UK's version "Favourite". It just doesn't seem normal to me. But to each there own.
LucyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:39 AM   #6
AKA
Just some nerd.
Forum Star

I hate to tell you this, but before there was "favorite," there was "favourite."
Old 02-20-2002, 12:40 PM   #7
Kay Scarpetta
Defy Gravity 8.26.05
Forum Celebrity

Wink My 22 cents ;)

Ok, my grandmother was born in England, and you should hear how she talked. She had the heaviest accent in the world. She said American words very differently, because that's how they would say them in England. She'd spell like that too. I don't see what in hell's corner is your problem with the spelling of words. Really. I mean this post is just...
-shrugs-

Ok, so what your trying to say is you don't like the "u" in the "or" words. Colour, Flavour, Favourite, etc. Actually, hate to burst your semi-sour bubble, but I think that's actually how you spell those words. The Americans or someone might have just changed them.

And, you can't go off and try to change the UK people's spellng on these boards, because picture this- Your in England, and everyone is talking about their moms. You join in the conversation, and everyone is saying "mum". You try to change everyones wording to "mom". It's impossible. Because they were brought up to say that, and to spell like that. Trust me. I spent my first 4 years practically living with my grandmother everyday, and when I went to school, I would write and say "mum" and all these other UK-based words. The teachers tried to change me, because they said "This is America. Not England" But it was hard to change how I spelled and talked, because early on, I was brought up like that. It basically annoyed my parents, because everytime I would say "mom" I'd say "mom".

Alright, now I'm just seriously rambling on and on about my 22 cents.

Point blank- you can't try and change how a person from a country other then your own talks.

To be a Broadway Freak, you must live, eat, sleep, study, devout, think, obsess, dream, believe Broadway.
You must know original & revival casts, soundtracks, performance runs, dates, theatres, numbers, how many Tony Awards A Chorus Line won.
You must be Broadway.
That's right bitches. I AM Broadway.

Last edited by Kay Scarpetta; 02-20-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Kay Scarpetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:44 PM   #8
Chocoholic
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Fanatic

Cool

Good point, Karli! What seems strange to us is normal to other people and you can't change how other people act.
Chocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
Kay Scarpetta
Defy Gravity 8.26.05
Forum Celebrity

Default more of my 22 cents!

Quote:
Originally posted by WingsFan
Good point, Karli! What seems strange to us is normal to other people and you can't change how other people act.
Thanks Kristen You just about summed it up

I mean, try changing your whole vocabulary to Irish slang words, which my other grandmother sometimes speaks in. We will be sitting at the table eating dinner at her house and she will start rambling all these slang words from Ireland. My family just sits there looking at her clueless because no one knows what she's talking about.

You can't go and say "No. You can't say 'Banjaxed'. You must say "useless and tired". She has heard of the words, she just doesn't use them, because they never really used them in her hometown. It would be impossible for her to change things. So I prove my point further
Old 02-20-2002, 01:27 PM   #10
JethroSimpson

I think Sitcomwriter should keep his mouth shut!

If you don't lke the way people in England say FAVOURITE then don't listen!

I hear a lot of English people talking about American people's strange spelling.

Another one is-

Americans-Mom

English- Mum
JethroSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:38 PM   #11
Penny Lane
Get Back Loretta!
Forum Celebrity

I was just wondering. Do the Canadians spell their words like the British?
This is really a silly subject.To the U K we probably sound like a bunch of peasants! I for one love the British accent and they can spell any way they want to!They have had the language hundreds of years longer than we have!
Chill out Sitcomwriter!
Old 02-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #12
Mossopp
asleep at the wheel
Forum 3K Club Member

Angry Dumb USA Vs. UK rant post - it sure as hell is dumb!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sitcomwriter
EWWWWWWWWW I HATE It when UK people say "Favourite".It's FAVORITE no U!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRY THAT FOR ONCE!!

LOL!

Sorry just had to get that off my chest!
Listen up smart arse, (yes, that's right - it's "arse" not "ass") why don't you trying spelling things our way?! What's your problem? Don't you have anything better to worry about than how people spell certain words? I wish my life was so simple that that is all I have to worry about.
Do me a favour - just cos you're acting like a mong I want you to do the following for the next month -

1 Don't say "mom" - say "mum"
2 Spell "center" as "centre"
3 Don't say "a ss" - say "arse"
4 Write the date our way - day/month/year.

You're not very open-minded are you? How do you expect different cultures to get along with one another when dafties like you are critisising tiny little things like spelling variations?! Your basically just a xenophobe aren't you? (If you don't know what that word means I suggest you look it up - unless you can't figure out which way it should be spelt!!!)
Old 02-20-2002, 03:46 PM   #13
Chocoholic
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Fanatic

Cool

This topic now makes me see why people have "I Hate John-Paul" and "I Hate Sitcomwriter" in their signatures. This guy is a narrow-minded arse-hole!!! I ought to write the "European" way from now on just to spite this stupid jerk.
Chocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #14
Kay Scarpetta
Defy Gravity 8.26.05
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by WingsFan
I ought to write the "European" way from now on just to spite this stupid jerk.
yeah...*mumbles*

... BTW I like the word "Arse" insted of "a$$"... now I can use Arse on my teachers
Old 02-20-2002, 03:58 PM   #15
Penny Lane
Get Back Loretta!
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Whelchel Forever

yeah...*mumbles*

... BTW I like the word "Arse" insted of "a$$"... now I can use Arse on my teachers
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote