Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Chit Chat - Main Board / Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Fall 2021 Schedule; Rewind TV Launch Schedule Beginning September 1
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April-August)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
The Flying Dutchmans

Default Does Anyone Miss the the Old Carnival?

I went to a carnival last summer in here where I live and, I couldn't believe the prices for a ride. Just 1 ride. It was rediculous. I remember when I was a kid and rides were cheap. I spent so much because my daughter wanted to go, that it left us nothing for the prize booths. Oh well. Inflation I guess.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Brad Russ
Forum Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

I enjoy carnivals. I mostly just played the carnival games when I was a kid like ski ball, and once I won a goldfish throwing a little ping pong ball in a cup. (It died before we got home.) I get nauseus easily, so I never got to go one the rides much. The big ones here in Oregon are Oaks Park, and the grandaddy of them all is the Rose Festival, which comes for a few weeks at the beginning of June. They have an amusement park, parades, Rose Festival queens, you name it. Good memories!
St. John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Currently my favorite song.

Last edited by Brad Russ; 02-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Brad Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Regulus
Forum 3K Club Member

Oaks Park has one of the most unusual Carousels I have ever seen at any Amusement Park. It has cars that spin around, and among the Animals are Frogs. Fun Park. About 60 miles south is another park, Enchanted Forest, which has a good Steel Roller Coaster called Ice Mountain Bobsleds.

I haven't been to a Carnival in Ages, most of the ones I see have the same old rides, and yes, the prices for everything are way too high. I'd rather spend that money at an Amusement Park instead.

Bucket List Shows: Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run, Westwood
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Brad Russ
Forum Fanatic

One thing to watch out for at the Rose Festival is the huge piles of horse crap everywhere. I didn't much care for Oaks Park roller skating rink either. Always smelled like unwashed feet.

Oh my gosh, yes, The Enchanted Forrest was awesome. My mom and dad took me there every year for my birthday. Loved the crooked house, the haunted house, Quick Draw Charlie, the Ice Mountain bobsled, and the wonderful water show with all the colors. Loved the piano being played by nothing but hands in the haunted house. One time on the ice mountain bobsled, I had all my change in my pocket, and it fell out. Was bonking my mom and I in the head for the whole ride. lol The Enchanted Forrest was my favorite of all of them. Loved their gift shop too!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Penny Lane
Get Back Loretta!
Forum Celebrity

I was a little kid in the 50's and my grandma would take us to the carnival. A ride was 10 cents.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Brad Russ
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
I was a little kid in the 50's and my grandma would take us to the carnival. A ride was 10 cents.
Oh wow. A dime couldn't even get you a gum ball at the carnival these days. Wish I lived back in those days.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
duckie

I love the carnival, I may play a game or two but I mainly go for the rides. And I always have to pick up some cotton candy while there, I love that stuff. lol
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
AB
Animal Kingdom
Forum Icon

Our summer-time county fair is like the old carnivals, they have rides & many different games. You can buy a wrist-band for a certain price & ride all the rides or you can buy tickets which is more expensive. I always liked playing Skee-ball the best, I spent a lot of change on that game.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Yooch
Forum 3K Club Member

In a way I do, being a nostalgia buff. But my first experience with a carnival was memorable, albeit not too pleasant. I was in Boy Scout summer camp near Mahwah, New Jersey in the summer between 6th and 7th grade. A local carnival came to a small town nearby. They trucked us in. I sampled all the delights, (cotton candy, hot dogs, you name it) then my friend talked me into going on a ride called the Octopus. If you've ever been on a ride called the 'Octopus' you will know that food and that ride do not go hand in hand. I will spare you the details, but if you have ever watched the amusement park scene in The Sandlot you will know what I mean. Then on the way back to camp in the truck, either the brake lining burned out or we ran over a dead skunk--which didn't help.

This story aside, I've always liked carnivals, boardwalks, amusement parksl--and truly do like the summer atmosphere, and the food.
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Yooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:20 AM   #10
Dude111
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Russ
I enjoy carnivals......
Ya I used to also....... I used to goto this one in my area years ago and I stopped going,I dunno why..... They are all my friends (Its a family) and they do miss me but I have a harder time getting there now for one.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:25 AM   #11
LaBestia
Emmet Brickowski's Dear Friend
Forum Veteran

Just like amusement parks carnivals have always attracted people for years and there is something about carnivals that makes you feel like a kid again. My mom used to take me to carnivals when I was a little girl and they were awesome and had puppet shows and craft booths and they would sell stuff like water balloons on a string. But when you get the general picture today it seems like carnivals and county fairs have gone out of style and instead of kids stuff they are aimed at adults with concerts and wine tastings. I remember when carnivals used to have fun midway games where you could win stuffed animals such as giant dinosaurs and teddy bears but those days are gone now it seems. And the carnival prizes have now become things like sunglasses and purses and coin purses too. If they could make carnivals and county fairs a lot better it would gain an audiences
Bestie
Old 06-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #12
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

Carnivals are fun. But I'll bet their insurance is expensive in this modern "sue-everyone" world.