Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Family Matters links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Family Matters Photo Gallery

Family Matters - The Complete First Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete First Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Second Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Third Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD

Family Matters - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Family Matters

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 29, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: MacGruber Series Premiere Date Set; Saved by the Bell Pays Tribute to Dustin Diamond
2021 Antenna TV Christmas and New Year's Schedule
2021 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend Include The Jeffersons on Starz Encore Black
First Look at Peacock's Bel-Air; Dollface Returns Feb. 11 on Hulu
Paramount+ Celebrates the Holidays with Sitcom Classics; HBO Max Gets in Holiday Spirit as Well with Christmas Comedy Series
Apple TV+ Announces The Afterparty Premiere Date; SNL Closes Out 2021 with 2 New December Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August-November)

Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Mom - The Eighth and Final Season Punky Brewster (1984-88) - The Complete Series (2021 Release) I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - The Honeymooners Specials - A Christmas Carol
11/02 - Mom - The Eighth and Final Season
11/02 - Punky Brewster - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - Sex and the City - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
11/09 - Saved by the Bell (2020) - Season One
11/09 - Younger - The Complete Series
11/16 - Kevin Can F*** Himself - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
11/23 - Dead Pixels - Seasons One and Two
11/30 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (2021 Release) (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Legend

Default AV Club's Random Roles with Reginald VelJohnson

https://www.avclub.com/die-hard-once...fic-1847321203

Quote:
Family Matters (1989-1998)— “Carl Winslow”

AVC: People might not remember, but Family Matters was a spin-off of another show, Perfect Strangers. Can you talk about getting that call, and how you ended up in Family Matters?

RV: Well, Tom Miller, who was the producer of the show a long time ago, he happened to see me in the film Die Hard, and he said that he wanted to put me in the show. They were coming up with this TV series about a Black family and they thought I’d be perfect for it. And I went to audition, met Jo Marie [Payton], who played Harriette, and got cast in the role. I was about to have five kids and I’d never had a kid in my life. So I was the father of five children and the husband to a wife. It was very interesting. It became second nature to me.

AVC: I read a stat in The Wrap that said that Family Matters viewership was up 400 percent last year. Do you think that more people recognize you now?

RV: I think [people] still receive [the show] the way that they did originally. People come up to me all the time, whether I’m in the supermarket or I’m out in the street. They always come to me and tell me how much they loved Carl Winslow and how much they loved how he interacted with his family and whatnot. He was always such a good guy. He never made a mistake. And, you know, I really appreciate that because I’m just an actor. I do what I do, and to see that people appreciate me for what I do is a nice thing.

AVC: Over the course of its run, Family Matters went through some significant changes. First, there was the introduction of Urkel, who was meant to be a one-off role, but really took off. Second, around the time of the show’s ending, it switched networks from ABC to CBS. Third, your wife on the show, Jo Marie, left, and was replaced by Judyann Elder as Harriette. How did you look back at Family Matters when it ended, and how do you look at the arc of the show?

RV: Well, because Jo Marie left the show, I had to perform with a new Harriette, and that was always very strange to me. I did what I had to do in terms of the time and the characters and whatnot, but it was very different for me. I had been performing with Jo for like eight years and then for the new Harriette to come in… she brought her own thing to the role. I had to adjust and get used to that, and it was strange for the first few episodes of the show, but I got used to it.

I enjoyed working with Jo Marie and Judyann. They brought different things to the role, and I appreciated that. And I was a good husband, I guess. I don’t know. It was different, but I enjoyed every moment of it. I’ll never forget Family Matters.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
JO Sweet Heart
Forum Veteran

To me, Reginald couldn't have done a better job playing Carl.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly