Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
ufohealer
Frequent Poster

Default Do you love those cozy in-a-house settings? (furniture)

One thing I love about Unsolved Mysteries as an adult (but didn't care when I was a kid) is that there are some segments where it's very quaint and cozy. I watch these segments more sometimes just because I like that particular short scene. For example -

1) Dale Hyde - the segment begins in the kitchen where it shows the counter-top space between the kitchen and dinette area. Dale brings over a slow cooker full of hot food prepared for the family. (side note: isn't he nice?!! kidding, but women do love a man that cooks, just not a man that cooks AND beats her children severely.)

2) Joe Owens - Seattle area. I used to live near Seattle long ago with the military. So the geo location of certain segments I get extra attached too and like it because I can relate to the area (not the case). At the beginning of this case Joe Owens' nephew in another state is talking to ole Joe on the phone. The nephew's bedroom looks like a motel room to me! I like the setting - he's in bed and the lighting is nice from his lamp. Some prefer darker lighting, but I like it brighter even tho it's bad for me as I don't want to go to sleep with bright lights such as lamps, tv, laptops since it keeps me up longer.

3) Forgot his name - Arizona? Before I searched this segment's page on sitcomsonline I just new someone had already mentioned him drinking coffee and that it resembled a coffee commercial. I love this scene! Even tho I bet he killed his wife - the ending of the segment is so cute! It has that pretty background music/noise and him not only grabbing his ready cup of coffee but also taking it over to the snack bar AND looking out the window. I never saw a snackbar right next to a window. My parents' snack-bar is in the middle of the kitchen and living room.

Do you have any segments that you like because of the setting or room or furniture?
ufohealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

This is funny, I like this thread because of the way some of the UM segments make me feel...it does give you that feeling of comfort. First a comment and then I will add a couple of mine:

* Joe Owens: YES...I always, every time, thought his nephew was in a hotel room when they show him...not sure why, maybe like you said, the way the bed, lamp and mirrored closet are all arranged.

1. Bobbie Jo/Annette: I like this one anyway, but love how it's winter in Breckenridge and just seems cozy.

2. Kurt Sova: I just like this one...something about the way it was filmed makes it just feel warm.

It's hard to say, but I am the type of person who is extremely affected by warms/colds as far as colors/films. Not sure if I am crazy or what, but when things make me feel cold/uncomfortable, I don't like them as much. Hard to pin down what I mean, but I'm sure some of you understand
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #3
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

3. You’re referring to Stephen Marfeo, who I am 100% convinced killed his wife.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufohealer View Post

3) Forgot his name - Arizona? Before I searched this segment's page on sitcomsonline I just new someone had already mentioned him drinking coffee and that it resembled a coffee commercial. I love this scene! Even tho I bet he killed his wife - the ending of the segment is so cute! It has that pretty background music/noise and him not only grabbing his ready cup of coffee but also taking it over to the snack bar AND looking out the window. I never saw a snackbar right next to a window. My parents' snack-bar is in the middle of the kitchen and living room.
Doreen Marfeo--that part with her husband Stephen totally looked like a coffee commercial! Especially with the whimsical music.

I think this is a great idea for a thread. A lot of the furniture and home settings do look cozy. I also like a lot of the small town shots, but that's probably because I'm not from a small town so I have a wistful opinion of what it would be like to live there (from a big city POV).
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
ufohealer
Frequent Poster

I agree with the Bobbie Joe segment.
At first I was thinking of that prison wardens wife who took off w the prisoner.
Wrong case. Yes, I too love the winter scenes esp in "winter storm" states like Colorado and North Dakota.
That native american car acc happened in winter.
I love UM's winter cases even more so in the winter while i still livie in upper Minnesota area.
I like and watch Fargo every winter a few times.
And other winter movies.
Even Rudolph and Frosty shows.

QUOTE=hostedbyrobertstack;5622679]This is funny, I like this thread because of the way some of the UM segments make me feel...it does give you that feeling of comfort. First a comment and then I will add a couple of mine:

* Joe Owens: YES...I always, every time, thought his nephew was in a hotel room when they show him...not sure why, maybe like you said, the way the bed, lamp and mirrored closet are all arranged.

1. Bobbie Jo/Annette: I like this one anyway, but love how it's winter in Breckenridge and just seems cozy.

2. Kurt Sova: I just like this one...something about the way it was filmed makes it just feel warm.

It's hard to say, but I am the type of person who is extremely affected by warms/colds as far as colors/films. Not sure if I am crazy or what, but when things make me feel cold/uncomfortable, I don't like them as much. Hard to pin down what I mean, but I'm sure some of you understand [/QUOTE]
Old 10-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
ufohealer
Frequent Poster

I also like the small town shots. Like in New England and Texas. In addition I enjoy the "just outside the city" segments like the 3 wa state cases. Those are out in the country yet only 3 or 10 miles from town. Seems like many out in the country segments involve couples who got murdered. WA state ones, etc. Funny thing about um is many segments seem like the house was in a small town or just on the skirts of a city: aileen conway segmnt was in a good sized city yet 2 me it seems like her house was in the country by itself lol. That made it even more scary to me as it takes longer 4 police or fire to arrive and u have no neighbors to run too!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Anna Anton/Greg Webb for the ambiance. Several other "small town" segments.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
dynoguy88

Quote:
I also like the small town shots.
Me too. The beginning of the Judge Fairbanks segment shows some shots of Newport, New Hampshire. Looks like a nice place to take a stroll on a spring day while eating an ice cream cone.

Thanks to Google street view, I've snooped around some very quaint yet pretty small towns featured on UM like...

Lyons, Nebraska (Anna Anton)
Ronan, Montana (Father Kerrigan)
Clinton, Missouri (Angela Hammond)
New Rockford, North Dakota (Kathy Bonderson)

All very charming. I highly recommend a look.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
ufohealer
Frequent Poster

[Keith Reinhard in silver plume, co. Didnt Stack say there was a PLUME of smoke in Conway case at beginning? Funny word: plume. I like keiths tiny town which is extra small. Those 200 people towns are nice n warm feeling too. Love the scenes in small cafes here where "everybody knows 1 another". When watching i wish I had that tiny town tiny cafe setting where i can go after work!

QUOTE=TheCars1986;5623185]Anna Anton/Greg Webb for the ambiance. Several other "small town" segments.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #10
flytrapp
Forum Regular

Okay, so this thread is exactly why I liked UM. I think when you are young you picture crimes happening in some creepy big city. I grew up in a small town in Canada, and the general idea was that the city has drugs, the city has crime, here you are safe. Wrong! Look at the cute setting Joe and Mattie (Teek) Harvey lived in, and then their niece Cheryl Holland killed them!
I also like how certain cases have come to light because of UM. For example, I would have never heard of the Wendy Camp case if it wasn't for UM. Who would have thought all that crazy could have gone on in rural OK.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp View Post
Look at the cute setting Joe and Mattie (Teek) Harvey lived in
This was another one of my favorite "ambiance" segments. I've tried to find the location of their store/gas station on google with no luck.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
dynoguy88

Last edited by dynoguy88; 10-23-2019 at 07:38 AM.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Jon
Forum Regular

I get this same feeling seeing old shopping malls. The Mickey Jo West and (dare I say it?) the magic rock segment
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
ufohealer
Frequent Poster

Those big and small indoor malls from the 80s n early 90s bring back memories esp the small indoor malls like the one I had in my hometown of 11,000 people. Our indoor one later changed into an outdoor mall. (Never thot of this: guess it was an inner belly button and later an outtie.) I disliked the big change! Yea, the magic rock's small indoor movie theater gave me good vibes. There are still many big indoor malls yet many other big indoor malls closed. The little ones never stood a chance!

Also um showed many cases where an arcade was in the mall or in a gas station. Oh that was fun in the 80s to mid 90s. Our bowling alley had a mini arcade and 1 gas station had 5 arcades lined up on a wall. It was near my cousins house. I lived near the bowlg alley so we were even lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I get this same feeling seeing old shopping malls. The Mickey Jo West and (dare I say it?) the magic rock segment
Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #15
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
Those big and small indoor malls from the 80s n early 90s bring back memories esp the small indoor malls like the one I had in my hometown of 11,000 people. Our indoor one later changed into an outdoor mall. (Never thot of this: guess it was an inner belly button and later an outtie.) I disliked the big change! Yea, the magic rock's small indoor movie theater gave me good vibes. There are still many big indoor malls yet many other big indoor malls closed. The little ones never stood a chance!

Also um showed many cases where an arcade was in the mall or in a gas station. Oh that was fun in the 80s to mid 90s. Our bowling alley had a mini arcade and 1 gas station had 5 arcades lined up on a wall. It was near my cousins house. I lived near the bowlg alley so we were even lol.
There are YouTube channels dedicated to this sort of thing. I went down a wormhole of these videos awhile back, and felt warm with nostalgia.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote