Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
stevearino
Frequent Poster

Default Roseanne Revival: My Thoughts

As many of you are aware, over 20 years after its original series finale, the hit '80s sitcom "Roseanne" will return to its original network home of ABC a week from Tuesday night at 8 P.M. with 2 back-to-back episodes, after which the revival will air weekly Tuesday nights at 8 P.M. leading in to the end of "The Middle" (wrapping up its own 9-year run this Spring on ABC).

Though the bulk of the original cast (including both Beckys--Lecy Goranson and Sarah Chalke, the latter actress playing a new character, Andrea, in the revival) will return, one key regular will not be returning--because he's dead.

His name: Glenn Quinn, best known for his role as Mark Healy on "Roseanne" for 7 years, starting in September 1990. He fatally OD'd on Heroin at age 32 on December 3, 2002, with his death ruled Accidental.

Some interesting tidbits about Glenn: he was born and raised Irish, with his short time on earth beginning in Dublin, Ireland on May 28, 1970; had Glenn been born and raised in America, he would have graduated high school in June 1988, weeks after turning 18, but because he was Irish, he (presumably) received his O-Levels 2 years earlier, at age 16, after which he spent 2 years attending a local Community College--specifically Clonkeen College.

In 1988, after graduating from Clonkeen College, Glenn, just after turning 18, relocated with his parents and 2 sisters to America, eventually settling in Los Angeles, California, where he eventually was cast on "Roseanne" in 1990 as Mark Healy, Becky's boyfriend/eventual husband and older brother to David (Johnny Galecki, also not returning due to his commitment to "Big Bang Theory" on CBS), who eventually married Darlene (Sara Gilbert), with whom in the original series finale he became co-parent to Harris Conner Healy--the 1st grandchild of Dan and Roseanne Conner (John Goodman and Roseanne Barr).

The only thing I would change in the revival is that rather than have Mark Healy killed offscreen due to Glenn Quinn's real-life demise, I'd have his character be portrayed by another actor his age group, e.g. Ricky Schroder.

Anyone here have opinions about this? Feel free to respond.
stevearino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Artistwithmanymuses
Occasional Poster

I rather not have them pull another Becky. Someone stepping in to take over Glenn's role is almost like what they did with Lecy, but the circumstances are different this time. Some Original fans will feel it's not right, I watched the entire original show last year. I felt when they recasted Becky it sure as heck wasn't the same. If they decied to recast Mark it wouldn't be the same. Many fans of different fandoms fall in love with the characters and the actors/actresses that protray them. It wouldn't be the same if they recasted. Mark. The shows producers/cast have respect for Glenn, and they chose not to recast his role.
Artistwithmanymuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

On the Roseanne reboot, it is Darlene who is the "emotional heart" of the story

Media attention on the Roseanne reboot has focused on Roseanne Conner being a Trump voter. But the new Roseanne isn't a forum for Roseanne Barr's ideologies because the three episodes sent to critics "decenter Roseanne in a slight but remarkable way, ceding the emotional heart of the story to Darlene: unemployed, single-parenting two kids, and trying to figure out how best to raise them in her parents’ house," says Anne Helen Peterson. That the focus would be on Darlene makes sense since it was Sara Gilbert who orchestrated the revival. "The camera still starts and stops on Roseanne in the iconic opening credit sequence, but she has effectively ceded the moral center of the show," says Peterson. "Darlene was always the most independent of the Conner children. But she was also the most like Roseanne: irreverent, acerbic, thrilled by her capacity to undercut others’ expectations of her, yet blessed with a seemingly innate ethical clarity. She wasn’t scared to wound others, and yet, like her mother, she was secretly sensitive. Roseanne used those qualities to school her children and prepare them to be better people in the world. And what makes the new Roseanne work — despite its star, and what’s become of her — is the show’s willingness to let Darlene use the same strategies on her own parents. Roseanne remains committed to a certain sort of realism. But this time, part of that realist project is allowing a feminist daughter to reject the cynicism of her mother and forge her own path forward."
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
TV Guy

I donít know why they had to kill off Mark. It would be more realistic for him and Becky to have divorced. They started hinting at this when Lecy resumed the role in season 8 (remember the episode where Becky wanted to go back to college and didnít seem all that concerned about what happened to Mark?) Then Sarah took the role again for the final season and that was dropped. But in reality, teenaged marriages have a very high divorce rate. And Mark and Becky #1 really didnít have much in common.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Artistwithmanymuses
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
I donít know why they had to kill off Mark. It would be more realistic for him and Becky to have divorced. They started hinting at this when Lecy resumed the role in season 8 (remember the episode where Becky wanted to go back to college and didnít seem all that concerned about what happened to Mark?) Then Sarah took the role again for the final season and that was dropped. But in reality, teenaged marriages have a very high divorce rate. And Mark and Becky #1 really didnít have much in common.
Yeah their relationship before they eloped, and after was rocky, but they were pretty much faithful, and commited to each other. Not all relationships need commnunication and common ground to work. In save the last thursday if i remember the title correctly Becky also admitted that. she's content with her life, and having quite evenings with Mark. Also in the Becky wanting to apply for college episode(Becky Howser M.D) Mark told Roseanne that he wouldn't leave Becky for anything.

Most people expected David and Darlene to stay together because they had so much in common but as we learned before the revival hits TV they are separated/divorced.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Tom Arnold reviews the Roseanne reboot
Roseanne Barr's ex-husband, who was famously fired as a writer/producer on the ABC sitcom, writes for The Hollywood Reporter: "Bottom line: If you want to watch a show because it's the voice of your political point of view, right or left, do not watch the Roseanne reboot. You'll be disappointed. But if you're a fan of the original Roseanne, especially the glory years — you know, the 'Tom Arnold years' — this is as good as it's going to get."
Old 03-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Pat

Default The Rise of Dan

So, in the finale Dan was noted as being dead. I read somewhere that the new series will be ignoring the finale. Any thoughts???
Old 03-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Artistwithmanymuses
Occasional Poster

Yeah Dan is alive and every other twist in season 9 is undone. Basically don't take season 9 into account anymore. Dan is alive, and they never won the lottery.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
Impressions
She died the way she lived

I don't wanna see an actor replace Mark. I mean, yeah, we had Becky and DJ replaced at one point in the series, but I think they should just kill him off.

As far as the reveal that Dan is not dead, I can't make a decision either way until I see the season premiere tonight and see how they handle it. I'm glad they are bringing him back, and thought it was a cheap move on Roseanne's part when she revealed he died in season 9, to explain the horribly wrong lottery plot, and using it as a mechanism to cope with his death. So they are doing right to bring him back to life.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Roseanne is the rare revival that works because it embraces how much has changed

The Roseanne revival is unlike the first season of The X-Files revival, which came back as if nothing had changed and as if its characters hadn't aged. As Alan Sepinwall notes, "great TV shows tend to be the product of a specific time in the lives of three groups: the characters on the show, the people making it, and the people watching it. When shows get brought back from the dead years later, one or more of those groups is different, yet too many shows in the recent flood of revivals try to go about business as usual, assuming the old material will work no matter the context, when instead the new episodes at best come across as pale imitations of what these shows used to be. The handful of revivals that have creatively justified their existence have tended to be the ones that acknowledge those changes." A Roseanne revival looked the most likely to be out of step because so much has changed in 21 years. "Wonderful as so much of í80s and í90s Roseanne was, few revivals have had higher potential for feeling wildly out of step in the current environment," says Sepinwall. "Instead, the three episodes ABC gave to critics ... smartly lean into everything thatís different from when we last left the Conners, much less from when we first met them. Itís the rare revival that not only justifies its existence, but draws most of its strength from how much time has passed and whatís happened in the interim."

ALSO:
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistwithmanymuses
Yeah Dan is alive and every other twist in season 9 is undone. Basically don't take season 9 into account anymore. Dan is alive, and they never won the lottery.
The Full Story Behind The Terribly Weird Final Season Of ĎRoseanneí
Old 03-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #12
LaBestia
I Rather Be Watching METV

I saw the debut episode of the Roseanne reboot today and I think ABC did a smart idea of reviving Roseanne by making it new and fresh as the original Roseanne did when ABC first aired it in 1988 and it was so neat that ABC managed to recreate the entire Roseanne house like it was in the 1988 version. I thought that Roseanne was awesome in her role as a grandmother now to her grandkids and that gives us a sense of what to expect in this new Roseanne reboot. I also found it surprising that ABC managed to remake the new intro of Roseanne just like the original 1988 version's intro and I was also surprised that they used the original theme song of Roseanne for this new revival because the Roseanne theme song is just so iconic and fun and even featured Roseanne's cute laugh that she did at the end of the theme song. While amazing to watch I think ABC will have a whole new world in store for sitcoms and maybe someday in the future think of reviving Growing Pains with a different actor playing Jason Seaver or perhaps revive Home Improvement next. I think this Roseanne revival is cool and for ABC the third time really is the charm for reviving Roseanne and will prove that ABC really is the king of quality sitcoms and will continue to improve thanks to the Roseanne reboot
Bestie
Old 03-28-2018, 01:54 AM   #13
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I think Becky and Darlene look much prettier grown up than they did as teenagers! Both looked really pretty ! And I like Darlene's nicer, sweeter personality than when she was a teenager better too ! Some of the story line was a little silly , such as Becky becoming a surrogate , and I think instead of having Mark be dead , his absence should just be that Becky and he are divorced ! But other than that I found the show pretty enjoyable!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #14
TV Guy

It reminded me more of the later seasons (6-8) of the original than the earlier seasons. I liked the earlier seasons because Roseanne still had a warm side. She was someone youíd like to have a beer with. Remember when she apologized through gritted teeth to Kathy Bowman so her son could have a sleepover with his friend? The Roseanne Conner of the later seasons would NEVER have done that. Neither would the current one. I find the later/current incarnation of the character harsh and unfunny. Iíd never want to be around her.

I also didnít find last nightís writing clever like it was in the best years of the original show (seasons 3 and 4). Glad to see the original Becky, but sad to see what she has become. So they confirmed that she never finished high school after she married Mark and moved away. Odd that Darleneís voice is now higher, and Beckyís is now deeper. Sarah Chalke has grown into a polished actress (I found her awkward during the original show). Laurie Metcalf is incredibly talented, but she had nothing to work with in terms of the writing. The grandchildren didnít make much of an impression.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
It reminded me more of the later seasons (6-8) of the original than the earlier seasons. I liked the earlier seasons because Roseanne still had a warm side. She was someone youíd like to have a beer with. Remember when she apologized through gritted teeth to Kathy Bowman so her son could have a sleepover with his friend? The Roseanne Conner of the later seasons would NEVER have done that. Neither would the current one. I find the later/current incarnation of the character harsh and unfunny. Iíd never want to be around her.

I also didnít find last nightís writing clever like it was in the best years of the original show (seasons 3 and 4). Glad to see the original Becky, but sad to see what she has become. So they confirmed that she never finished high school after she married Mark and moved away. Odd that Darleneís voice is now higher, and Beckyís is now deeper. Sarah Chalke has grown into a polished actress (I found her awkward during the original show). Laurie Metcalf is incredibly talented, but she had nothing to work with in terms of the writing. The grandchildren didnít make much of an impression.
I noticed their voices, too.

It's funny cause I really liked Lecy more than Sarah on the original show but I think they made a mistake with the reboot...they should've cast Sarah as Becky...I never thought I'd say that.

Without a doubt, Sara Gilbert is the star of this reboot, not Roseanne.

All in all, the reboot is funny but not LOL hilarious.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote