Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Icon15 ‘Guiding Light’ Wasn't Canceled, it was Murdered, very Slowly and Very Brutally

Every soap opera tells at least one good murder story a year. Next week, the soap “Guiding Light” is the victim. There are several killers.

In today’s New York Times, executive producer Ellen Wheeler says some comical things about how she has presided over the show’s death. But the truth is, as with Michael Jackson, the last person in the room is the prime suspect. Even though other doctors came and went, all giving Michael dangerous prescriptions, the police are investigating Dr. Conrad Murray.

Plenty of bad executive producers lorded over “Guiding Light” before Ellen Wheeler got there. Their names were Michael Laibson, Paul Rauch, and Jill Farren Phelps. They killed off popular characters, ordered ridiculous stories, and, in particular, went so far to clone the show’s main character. Yes, that’s right, human cloning, And no one at Procter & Gamble, which owns the show, had the good sense to stop them.

Lots of other bad things happened, too. The popular actor on the show, Michael Zaslow, became ill with ALS. Rather than embrace and honor him, the show kicked him to the curb. It was miserable.

But Ellen Wheeler is the culprit in the final murder. A year and a half ago, not long after she took over the dying program, she threw out the sets, the video editors and the breakdown writers. The show was suddenly being filmed with shaky handheld cameras. The sound was terrible. There were no production values. The sets were “found” buildings in Peapack, N.J. They were ugly, awful. The people of Peapack should have sued. Their town could not have looked worse on television.

It was clear that under Wheeler, there was no rehearsal, and no respect for the actors, forget the fans. The ratings simply tanked. Wheeler did nothing to correct the situation. She just made it worse, adding loud rock music to scenes. It was impossible to hear the dialogue. It was equally difficult to watch scenes — you thought the camera operators had Parkinson’s Disease.

Procter & Gamble used to produce several soaps under the name Procter & Gamble Productions. When “Guiding Light” is done, they will be down to one: “As the World Turns.” The company changed the name of its production company to TeleNext to distance its big brands (Crest, Pampers and half the stuff in grocery stores) from the anger of soap fans. There’s a theory that P&G has been trying to get out of soap production for the past 10 years, since they canceled “Another World.” P&G is a monolith. They don’t comment on anything. But “World Turns” is definitely in their sights now.

As for Wheeler, her comments in today’s Times show that she is simply clueless, or deluded. She says, fans communicated to her that they liked the new format. This is highly unlikely, unless they were related to her. “Guiding Light,” is dead, and she killed it. If P&G/TeleNext lets her near “World Turns.” we won’t need Agatha Christie to figure out what happens next.

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/guid...eres-a-killer/

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Yes, GL's had a pretty miserable last 12 years or so. I still think what they did to Michael Zaslow (though not under Ellen Wheeler's watch) was unforgivable - and pretty much the beginning of the end.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

What they did to Michael Zaslow (who was one their best actors, and played one of GL's best known characters) was a big flaw.

This show pulled off two more major blunders. In 1993 when they fired Ellen Parker and killed off the Maureen character. She was one of the best loved characters on the show and could have been another great matriach (in the spirit of her mother in law Bert Bauer).

In 2005 after 26 years GL decides to take Jerry VerDorn (who was on the show longer than anyone in that current cast) off contract and stick him on recurring status. It didnt take long for OLTL to cast him as Clint Buchanan and their gain was GL's loss.

Nice going guys. Is it any wonder you're getting cancelled.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

What they did to Michael Zaslow (who was one their best actors, and played one of GL's best known characters) was a big flaw.

This show pulled off two more major blunders. In 1993 when they fired Ellen Parker and killed off the Maureen character. She was one of the best loved characters on the show and could have been another great matriach (in the spirit of her mother in law Bert Bauer).

In 2005 after 26 years GL decides to take Jerry VerDorn (who was on the show longer than anyone in that current cast) off contract and stick him on recurring status. It didnt take long for OLTL to cast him as Clint Buchanan and their gain was GL's loss.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac

I totally agree with you. I remember when Maureen got killed off. I couldn't believe it. She was the heart and soul of that show. I already commented on what I thought about them when they fired Michael Zaslow. That was the last straw for me. I quit watching. I wasn't around when Jerry VerDorn left the show.

I have to check my channels to see where GL is being aired. I already noticed WUSA replaced it with some show called Dr. Oz or something like that.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Tomorrow is the last day.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

This was the only soap opera that my mom still watched Mon-Fri, although in earlier years she also viewed The Secret Storm and The Edge of Night.

She's been regularly watching GL easily since the mid-1970s and probably well before. I'm not much of a Soaps person myself, but I do find myself drawn in occasionally by some beautiful starlets.

I'm still not sure of how she's taking the cancellation. Maybe she'll take my recommendation to watch Perry Mason and Bonanza on weekday mornings, 2 hrs. well spent!
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
Tomorrow is the last day.
I just set my DVR so I won't miss it. I'll watch it tomorrow night. I hope I can follow it. lol
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood Fan
I totally agree with you. I remember when Maureen got killed off. I couldn't believe it. She was the heart and soul of that show. I already commented on what I thought about them when they fired Michael Zaslow. That was the last straw for me. I quit watching. I wasn't around when Jerry VerDorn left the show.

I have to check my channels to see where GL is being aired. I already noticed WUSA replaced it with some show called Dr. Oz or something like that.
I'm sure you'll be able to find it online, like on YouTube.
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Jude The Obscure
Retired

CBS.com should have it.

I've been putting these last 2 weeks on DVD.

I loved Tina Sloan's comments this morning on The Early Show--"We're gonna miss CBS and CBS will miss US" (and she was cut off at that point ).

Maureen Bauer's death and the treatment of Michael Zaslow were two of the major turning points from which the show never recovered from. Also when Paul Rauch was EP.......ugh, what a HORRIBLE era. The Santos and San Cristobel should have never been introduced! Also the complete decimation of the Reardons and the core family, The Bauers, played BIG parts in the downward spiral.

The final episode is minutes away from airing in my era........another constant in my life is going away this week (first my dad, and now this).
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I agree that the Santos mafia thing, and the whole San Cristobel storylines were overdone. Cutting out the Bauers (who were the main family since the late 1940's) was a major flaw.

I am watching it now. Its hard to believe that in less than an hour, it will be all over.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Jude The Obscure
Retired

ONE OF THE BEST SHOW FINALES I HAVE EVER SEEN ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
browneyes106

I just watched it. I thought it ended well. It was still sad. But I loved the end scene of Josh and Reva leaving town in H.B.'s truck.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Everybody got a happy ending, and there were even some new couples made.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Jude The Obscure
Retired

One glaring omission--what became of Jeffrey vs Edmund??? WTF???