Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

If this doesn't make you nostalgic for days of yore and mourn the dying breed that is the soap opera, nothing will. Some of these actors here are no longer with us, and those that are mostly are rotting on the backburner or are out of daytime all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5VK...eature=related

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #32
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
If this doesn't make you nostalgic for days of yore and mourn the dying breed that is the soap opera, nothing will. Some of these actors here are no longer with us, and those that are mostly are rotting on the backburner or are out of daytime all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5VK...eature=related
That special is so great. My favorite part is the one with the Phillips/Nixon/Bell tribute. I'd never, ever seen an interview with Irna before, and it's even in color! Really a treat.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #33
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ Same here - do you think primetime today would give up 2 hours for a special dedicated to soaps? I don't.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #34
JT

Quote:
^ Same here - do you think primetime today would give up 2 hours for a special dedicated to soaps? I don't.
No indeed. The Daytime Emmys going to The CW is proof of it.

I always hate it when the big networks (and by "big," I only mean ABC and CBS lol) do these huge promo packs where they highlight nearly every show they air...casts from the dramas and comedies, hosts and/or judges from the reality shows, talk show hosts, game show hosts, news personalities, sports personalities, etc, but not a single mention at all of any soap-related people at all. It really ticks me off because even if the soaps are in the worst place they've ever been (and, arguably, they pretty much are), the networks shouldn't give up on them or sweep them under the rug like that. They should be just as proud of them as they were 30 years ago, and they should promote just as much.

(off my soapbox........pun intended)
Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #35
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ Well said!!

Did you read this article, JT? A lot of food for thought here...

http://www.redroom.com/blog/jennifer...s-not-restless
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #36
PunkyP0WER
Banned
Banned!!

was capitol mentioned?
PunkyP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #37
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyP0WER
was capitol mentioned?
No, it wasn't.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #38
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Hey everyone, I just found TONS of soap themes on this awesome site!!

http://www.televisiontunes.com/
Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #39
JT

Quote:
^ Well said!!

Did you read this article, JT? A lot of food for thought here...

http://www.redroom.com/blog/jennifer...s-not-restless
That's a great read. Rauch isn't a good people person at all. Almost all of his EP stints have been involved in controversy...the worst, IMO, is the way he fired One Life to Live's Lillian Hayman. It was 1986 and Hayman was one of the show's original cast members (she played Sadie Gray), and so she was walking to her car after taping for the day. Rauch ran after her and told her that she was through at OLTL and to not come back. What kind of crap is that!?

But, when it comes to putting on a good show, the man know what he's doing. His Another World (1972-1983) still remains to be some of the best soap opera ever produced. I think it all depends on who the writer is. Maria Arena Bell is doing good things at Y&R, and I think Rauch appreciates that. It makes his job easier.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #40
JT

Quote:
Hey everyone, I just found TONS of soap themes on this awesome site!!

http://www.televisiontunes.com/
OMG thanks for the link!!

That site lifted all of their files from wavethemes.org, which in turn lifted most of its soap files from The World of Soap Themes, which is closing down this year and is only available to paying members. wavethemes.org is a total pain because all of the files are in .zip format, so you have to download the folder, and then play the music. This site is 100% easier!

It's been a while since I OD'ed on some good soap music, too, so that link is much appreciated

ETA: Ooooh there are some soap files there that aren't on wavethemes.org either! I think they might have come from YouTube.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #41
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
That's a great read. Rauch isn't a good people person at all. Almost all of his EP stints have been involved in controversy...the worst, IMO, is the way he fired One Life to Live's Lillian Hayman. It was 1986 and Hayman was one of the show's original cast members (she played Sadie Gray), and so she was walking to her car after taping for the day. Rauch ran after her and told her that she was through at OLTL and to not come back. What kind of crap is that!?

But, when it comes to putting on a good show, the man know what he's doing. His Another World (1972-1983) still remains to be some of the best soap opera ever produced. I think it all depends on who the writer is. Maria Arena Bell is doing good things at Y&R, and I think Rauch appreciates that. It makes his job easier.
Good point. Harding Lemay has to be one of the best soap writers, ever. Not for nothing have people referred to his tenure on AW as that soap's "golden era". When he left, things just started to fall apart. I heard that right before Mr. Rauch joined OLTL in 1983, that show fired Jacqueline Courtney, who'd been on since 1975. That was the same year he'd fired her from AW. She wrote a scathing letter to Soap Opera Weekly about him in 2004.

I finally saw the "cigar stomp" from the SB finale on YouTube. All the other behind the scenes people (including creators Bridget & Jerome Dobson, who toasted the camera) waved and smiled to the viewers, and then Mr. Rauch did that. Michael Logan (TV Guide) and others have gone on record saying how utterly tastless that was, and I agree. Oy vey.

Yes, it is also utterly classless how actors have been fired under his watch. Terrible, especially in the case of Michael Zaslow. I honestly think that was truly the beginning of the end of GL. My grandfather passed from the same disease as Zaz (ALS) and GL lost a golden opportunity to write the illness into the story and educate the audience as well.

While most of the actors fired under his watch went on to work in daytime again, does anyone know whatever happened to Virginia Dwyer? She just fell off the radar screen - I don't think she acted again, period, after being let go from AW in 1975. Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #42
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
OMG thanks for the link!!

That site lifted all of their files from wavethemes.org, which in turn lifted most of its soap files from The World of Soap Themes, which is closing down this year and is only available to paying members. wavethemes.org is a total pain because all of the files are in .zip format, so you have to download the folder, and then play the music. This site is 100% easier!

It's been a while since I OD'ed on some good soap music, too, so that link is much appreciated

ETA: Ooooh there are some soap files there that aren't on wavethemes.org either! I think they might have come from YouTube.
No problem!! That site is a mecca for all of those who love TV themes, as I do. I've always loved the Ryan's Hope theme, "Here's To Us" and the different Search for Tomorrow songs the most. Plus I found a ton of primetime themes I've always wanted. Now they are on my iPod. Glad I could help.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #43
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

From the same blogger: a sweet Ryan's Hope tribute:

http://www.redroom.com/blog/jennifer...we-miss-you-so
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #44
browneyes106

I thought Another World and Sunset Beach got killed off too soon.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #45
raiderhater4ever
First Time Poster

What about Somerset?
raiderhater4ever is offline   Reply With Quote