Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

TV

I keep hoping perhaps SoapNet will pick up Santa Barbara and show all of the episodes, like they did for Ryan's Hope and Another World...
80sTrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Default Santa Barbara

How long has it been since NBC aired this Soap Opera The only I remember is that my NBC Station would air Santa Barnara weekday's at 2:30 pm Central Time.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
JO jr

THIS WAS MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SOAP!

I REMEMBER IT STARTED WHILE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND LITERALLY RUNNING HOME FROM THE BUS STOP TO CATCH & TAPE IT.

I HAD YEARS OF EP'S, BUT WHEN I MOVED, THEY WERE TOSSED. I REGRET IT ALL THE TIME! I'M ALWAYS HOPEFUL IT WILL GET RELEASED ONTO DVD, BUT I DOUBT IT.

SANTA BARBARA HAD SOOO MANY GREAT CHARACTERS, AND THE ACTING WAS INCOMPARABLE! LANE DAVIES (MASON), NANCY GRAHN (JULIA), ROBIN WRIGHT (KELLY), HARLEY JANE KOZAK (MARY), TODD MCKEE (TED), AND JULIE RONNIE (LAKEN), WE'RE AMONGST MY FAVORITES. I LOVED MASON & GINA'S WHITTY LINES, AND THE COUPLES OF JOE & KELLY, MASON & MARY, TED & LAKEN, CRUZ & EDEN STAND OUT.

OH, I COULD JUST GO ON & ON ABOUT THIS EXCELLENT SHOW, BUT, I'M REALLY GLAD TO KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS WHO LOVED S.B., AND THINK IT WAS THE BEST THERE HAS BEEN-FOR A LOT OF REASONS.

IN FACT, I HAD WRITTEN TO SOME OF THE CASE, AND ACTUALLY GOT A HAND WRITTEN RESPONSE FROM JULIE RONNIE AND TODD MCKEE. WHAT SWEETHEARTS! AND, OF COURSE, YOU KNOW I STILL HAVE THOSE IN MY OLD SCRAPBOOK

I CAN'T WAIT TO CHECK OUT YOU TUBE FOR THOSE CLIPS. IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER SITES THAT OFFER VIDEOS, PLEASE, LET ME KNOW.

ALSO, I HAVE TO LAUGH WHENEVER I SEE THE CLASSIC, "PRICESS BRIDE" WITH ROBIN, BECAUSE I THINK OF HER WHEN SHE WAS ON S.B. FUNNY, I DON'T DO THIS WITH ANY OTHER ROLE I'VE SEEN HER IN, BUT MAYBE CUZ THAT MOVIE IS SO DIFFERENT THAN KELLY...OR ANYTHING ELSE, FOR THAT MATTER. "INCONCEIVABLE!"
JO jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #19
Michael72581
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael72581 Send a message via Yahoo to Michael72581

"Santa Barbara" was one of the best and greatest daytime soap operas in all of television. Very watchable, fun to watch, a great cast, great characters, and great interesting storylines. A real classic soap opera. From C.C. Capwell faking his death to Mason seeking revenge for Mary's death to the earthquake to Eden and Cruz's relationship, you always looked forward to watching this show. I know I always looked forward to watching this show. My mom used to tape this show for me every day since I was in school. When I was home from school, I always made sure I watched and taped this show it was like the highlight of my day. I used to have many tapes of episodes of "Santa Barbara", but unfortunately I had to throw the tapes out because the tapes became defective and would not play anymore. There are many videos of original NBC commercials and clips from episodes of "Santa Barbara" on YouTube. I have watched many of them and since I miss this show so much, I like to watch these commercials and clips on YouTube three to five times a week to give myself a little trip down memory lane. I highly recommend all of you "Santa Barbara" fans on this message board to check out the commercials and clips on YouTube. You will all like them. I miss this show so much and NBC should of never cancelled it. I wish it was still on the air today. We should all write to SoapNet and TVLand to tell them to acquire "Santa Barbara" and add it to their schedule. It would be great if either SoapNet or TVLand acquired "Santa Barbara" and added it to their schedule. A 1:00pm timeslot weekdays on whichever one of these two channels decide to air it would be great. It would do great in the ratings on either channel. If TVLand decided to acquire and air "Santa Barbara" and they gave it a launch 48 hour marathon weekend, it would bring in great ratings for TVLand. Let's also hope that "Santa Barbara" gets a DVD release sometime in the future.

Alias Name: MichaelTheTVFan82

Last edited by Michael72581; 10-17-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Michael72581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Heart

I just started watching the clips of SB from its first few months in 1984. It's so funny that the show debuted a mere 15 days before my baby brother did.

I was shocked to learn that Eden and Cruz were not the supercouple the show began with (in fact, Marcy Walker didn't debut on SB until 2 months after its premiere, maybe due to her finishing up her contract on AMC - her first go-around lasted from 1981-84). In fact, Eden and Cruz weren't even intended to BE a couple originally, but once people started picking up on their chemistry, it was inevitable. Anyway, the first supercouple the show had was Kelly Capwell (Eden's sister) and Joe Perkins. (Joe's little sister, Jade, was played by a pre-DAYS Melissa Reeves, then going by her maiden name of Brennan.)

Anyway, Kelly and Joe had SMOKING HOT chemistry from the get-go, in no small part due to the fact that their portrayers, Robin Wright and Dane Witherspoon, had fallen for each other as well. From what I read, it was love at first sight when they met each other at the auditions. They also kind of pushed the envelope in a way - there were a couple of kissing scenes where I noticed some tongue action going on!!

Even though Dane was let go from the show after only 3 months and the role was recast (the new actor only lasted 3 months himself before the character was killed off), things fared better for the duo off-screen - at least for awhile. They were together for about 4 years: met in 1984, married in 1986 and divorced in 1988. Then, of course, she hooked up with Mr. Penn a couple of years later. Dane Witherspoon has long since retired from show biz. Last I heard, he's remarried and is an independent businessman based in Denver.

Such a shame their marriage didn't work out - they looked so happy and in love. I wonder how things would have turned out if they were still married and she'd never met Sean Penn...
Attached Images

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #21
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlemond
My girlfriend at the time loved Santa Barbara and I watched it with her.
Some pretty funky stuff on that show. I remember Mason making it in an ambulance with Gina (I think it was her). I also remember hating Kirk Cranston and Dylan- both foils to Cruz and Jake for the affection of Eden and Kelly. Wow, what a dork I am.
You're right, it was Mason and Gina getting it on in the ambulance. That would be the first actress to play Gina, Linda Gibboney.

Kirk Cranston (Joseph Bottoms) was indeed a roadblock in the Eden/Cruz relationship, but it was Nick (the late David Haskell), not Jake, who was Kelly's boyfriend at that time. Dylan (Page Moseley) was Nick's crazy brother trying to steal Kelly away for himself. I watched all this on YouTube. Yes, I'm a dork, too.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #22
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

Thanks for all the great information (and photos) about Santa Barbara, Monika!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #23
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs up

You're welcome!! Soaps were on such a roll back then. SB had fantastic actors, talented writers and unsung behind-the-scenes people. It's just too bad that because of a big battle between the soap's creators vs. the network, and also because the show was scheduled opposite GH and GL (both in their creative and commercial peaks at the time), SB never really had a chance to survive.

Thank goodness for YouTube, where I have seen numerous episodes. Also, I want my own Cruz Castillo!!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
whitelighter
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Marcy Walker didn't debut on SB until 2 months after its premiere, maybe due to her finishing up her contract on AMC
I wish they could have at least gotten Marcy for the opening scene of the first episode of Santa Barbara (the flashback scene) even if it was a couple months before she could start as a regular on SB.
whitelighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Heart

The most beautiful, elaborate wedding I have ever seen on TV - that of Eden Capwell (Marcy Walker) and Cruz Castillo (A Martinez) that aired on April 1, 1988 on NBC:
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Lakeboy
Frequent Poster

I remember the wedding well...I had been sick that week. I was feeling better but I wanted to stay from school one more day to see the wedding. So I told my mom I was still sick. I don't know why I didn't just record it. We had a VCR.
Lakeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #27
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Heart

The silver anniversary of Eden and Cruz's big day is almost here!! The wedding aired April 1, 1988.

SB really had a crackerjack music department - the songs written for E&C were and are still gorgeous and extremely romantic. Here are my faves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7mHk2o2RY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2RQNDTRGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7Ioch8OG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQajTrCdio

Last edited by catlover79; 03-29-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs up

Then and now: Kerry Sherman (Amy Perkins Wallace, 1984-86) - who is now a licensed family therapist in Burbank, CA, less than a mile down the road from the NBC studios where SB once taped.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #29
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

Thanks again for all the amazing photographs, videos and inside information about the show, Monika. You should write a book about Santa Barbara!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Awww, thanks. Trust me, there are a lot more fans out there who have a lot more knowledge about SB than I do.