Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Lucy Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Lucy Show Photo Gallery


The Lucy Show - The Official First Season
Buy The Lucy Show - The Official First Season on DVD
The Lucy Show - The Official Second Season
Buy The Lucy Show - The Official Second Season on DVD
The Lucy Show - The Official Third Season
Buy The Lucy Show - The Official Third Season on DVD
The Lucy Show - The Official Fourth Season
Buy The Lucy Show - The Official Fourth Season on DVD
The Lucy Show - The Official Fifth Season
Buy The Lucy Show - The Official Fifth Season on DVD
The Lucy Show - The Official Sixth Season
Buy The Lucy Show - The Official Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Lucy Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup


New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 36,033
Question Did Lucille Ball's alleged drinking become problematic

Lucy was apparently, if not an out and out alcoholic, was at the very least a problem drinker. Do you agree that if one watches The Lucy Show carefully, you can clearly see that Lucy’s moods are random and she’s often “out of sync” with her scenes? She also needed cue cards as you can see her eyes following something just out of camera range.

Last edited by TMC; 10-20-2019 at 11:01 PM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Schmo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 24, 2013
Posts: 154
Default

TMC should change his or her pseudonym to “TMZ”.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
TV Guy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2001
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 2,760
Default

TMC is a gossipmonger of the worst kind. He/she made a post on the “My Three Sons” message board saying that Fred MacMurray didn’t like working with kids, as evidenced by the show’s production. In reality, MacMurray only agreed to the job if he had a shortened working schedule and by all accounts had good relationships with the boys who played his sons.

In the case of Lucille Ball, she increasingly relied on cue cards on “The Lucy Show” because she had another job: president of Desilu! She became president of the company during the company’s first season when she bought out ex-husband Desi Arnaz. She no longer had as much time to memorize her lines.

There’s a special place in hell for those who slander other people.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Lucy was apparently, if not an out and out alcoholic, was at the very least a problem drinker. Do you agree that if one watches The Lucy Show carefully, you can clearly see that Lucy’s moods are random and she’s often “out of sync” with her scenes? She also needed cue cards as you can see her eyes following something just out of camera range.
I thought it was her husband who was the alcoholic.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 36,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
TMC is a gossipmonger of the worst kind. He/she made a post on the “My Three Sons” message board saying that Fred MacMurray didn’t like working with kids, as evidenced by the show’s production. In reality, MacMurray only agreed to the job if he had a shortened working schedule and by all accounts had good relationships with the boys who played his sons.

In the case of Lucille Ball, she increasingly relied on cue cards on “The Lucy Show” because she had another job: president of Desilu! She became president of the company during the company’s first season when she bought out ex-husband Desi Arnaz. She no longer had as much time to memorize her lines.

There’s a special place in hell for those who slander other people.
Again, how am I slandering people!? Whenever I post something about a TV show or actor/actress, I try to "back it up" with as many links or forms of "evidence" as I possibly can. I don't recall out and out saying that Fred MacMurray didn't like working with kids. I don't understand why you need to make ad hominem attacks on your end. I just insinuated that the production style that he worked with on the surface seemed to be overwhelming for his young co-stars. It's naive to say that My Three Sons regardless, wasn't an easy show to make since they had to work around Fred MacMurray's availability.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
quincywagstaff
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 15, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 153
Default

The alcoholism referenced in the article referred to Desi, not Lucy. There have been countless books written about her, their marriage and the show, and not one has ever suggested that Lucy was an alcoholic. At the very least, the title of this thread is unfortunate as it implies that she was a heavy drinker without any evidence to support the insinuation.
quincywagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #7
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 36,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincywagstaff View Post
The alcoholism referenced in the article referred to Desi, not Lucy. There have been countless books written about her, their marriage and the show, and not one has ever suggested that Lucy was an alcoholic. At the very least, the title of this thread is unfortunate as it implies that she was a heavy drinker without any evidence to support the insinuation.
Well, we know for sure that Lucy at least during her later years, enjoyed the occasional bourbon, which she referred to as her "slushies". But it wasn't exactly as far as we know, to the degree of Desi Arnez's alleged drinking habit.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.