Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes
FX Orders 3rd Season of Comedy; Adult Swim Brings Back Haddish and Wong Series
Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 25, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Fall Lineup Looking to Include Fewer Sitcoms; Head of the Class Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Will HBO Max Work?; ABC Announces 2020-21 Season Programming
Freeform Announces 2020-21 Slate; Fox Brings Back Last Man Standing, Prodigal Son and The Resident for 2021

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
chris jacob
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to chris jacob
Default TBS

did the Factsd of life ever air on TBS?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Christopher
Forum Veteran

No. The Facts of Life reran on USA, N@N, Hallmark, The Hub, Logo, and now Antenna TV. It was also on an on-demand channel called Tube Time. They aired the episodes uncut. I still have season 6 on DVD-R's when I recorded the show from them. Of the cable networks, USA and N@N treated the show with respect. Hallmark on the other hand cut the first few minutes of the episode to air before the opening credits. They wanted to air the show a certain way and it was stupid. I'm glad everyone has the option of seeing the show the way it was on DVDs instead of the way networks like Hallmark or Logo from what I hear air the show.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 AM   #3
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Of the cable networks, USA and N@N treated the show with respect.
N@N did? But they refused to air several episodes, and after all the exuberant promos for FOL coming to N@N in a marathon, and then it being so popular they had to re-air the marathon, I remember messages around here those 20-plus years ago where folks were criticizing N@N for heralding the show, saying the marathon ratings were amazing, etc., but then they got rid of the show fairly quickly.

Quote:
Hallmark on the other hand cut the first few minutes of the episode to air before the opening credits. They wanted to air the show a certain way
Yes! They altered them to have "teasers" by delaying the theme song intro to air after the first scene or partial scene of each episode. Having grown up on the show in syndicated reruns, it was SO weird seeing that, lol. Neat, but weird.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
N@N did? But they refused to air several episodes, and after all the exuberant promos for FOL coming to N@N in a marathon, and then it being so popular they had to re-air the marathon, I remember messages around here those 20-plus years ago where folks were criticizing N@N for heralding the show, saying the marathon ratings were amazing, etc., but then they got rid of the show fairly quickly.
I thought N@N did a good job. Maybe they didn't. You'll have to excuse my memory then since it's been 20 years ago

I know they skipped episodes but the episodes they did air I don't remember them cutting too bad for commercials. I also don't remember them placing commercial breaks where there shouldn't have been. I hate when networks do that. You'll get into a scene and then all of a sudden the network decides we need to learn more about commercials than the show we're watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Yes! They altered them to have "teasers" by delaying the theme song intro to air after the first scene or partial scene of each episode. Having grown up on the show in syndicated reruns, it was SO weird seeing that, lol. Neat, but weird.
I thought it was silly. I like how USA and N@N aired the show. It was only meant to have 3 commercial breaks, not 5 or 7.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
'80sSitcoms

Agreed on the breaks---it's so irritating when it's so obvious they are cutting a scene off in "action" to air a break. And then cutting back in, fading up from laughter on a joke that was just missed due to the cutting room floor.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
80s Dude

If you go back and read the postsof this forum from around 2000 and 2001, you will see many complaints that Nick at Night banned several controversial episodes and cut off scenes from other episodes.
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
If you go back and read the postsof this forum from around 2000 and 2001, you will see many complaints that Nick at Night banned several controversial episodes and cut off scenes from other episodes.
Yeah, from what I recall, the first season was almost halved, because they banned so many episodes.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
cut off scenes from other episodes.

There are multiple syndicated versions of The Facts of Life. USA's version had some scenes N@N didn't and N@N had some scenes USA didn't. That's how I learned this. I don't think N@N did a bad job when comparing their versions of the episodes to what Hallmark or Logo showed.

When I spoke of respect for the show, I meant the marathons they did and not adding in more commercial breaks like the following networks did that aired the show. I do remember the outrage fans had when N@N dropped the show, but while they had it, I don't think they did a bad job. Again, my memory maybe fuzzy on it since it was awhile ago that it had aired on the channel.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
80s Dude

Quote:
There are multiple syndicated versions of The Facts of Life. USA's version had some scenes N@N didn't and N@N had some scenes USA didn't. That's how I learned this. I don't think N@N did a bad job when comparing their versions of the episodes to what Hallmark or Logo showed.

When I spoke of respect for the show, I meant the marathons they did and not adding in more commercial breaks like the following networks did that aired the show. I do remember the outrage fans had when N@N dropped the show, but while they had it, I don't think they did a bad job. Again, my memory maybe fuzzy on it since it was awhile ago that it had aired on the channel.
If you read posts around 155-165, you will see a lot of people unhappy with Nick at Nights presentation because they banned so many episodes. Of course back then, most of the members of this board appear to be under 18.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
80s Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Yeah, from what I recall, the first season was almost halved, because they banned so many episodes.
Dope, Facts of Love, Rough Housing were banned. I think the return of Mr. Garrett was also banned because of kids gambling. The suicide episode, the male strippers, the male beefcake calendar and "The First Time" were banned episodes later on. And they probably cut off the Blair Industries Langerie scene of Adoption.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
umfan87
Frequent Poster

yes i remember this is when i first discovered the show on nick at nite between ages 13-14 and remember reading about the banned episodes and not seeing them until i got the dvd's years later and i remember loving the marathons of fol they did they even showed different strokes and silver spoons in 2001 for a minute i remember being really sad and angry when they took it off in the summer of 01 i was off school and looked forward to watching it i used to tape every episode religiously.
umfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by umfan87 View Post
yes i remember this is when i first discovered the show on nick at nite between ages 13-14 and remember reading about the banned episodes and not seeing them until i got the dvd's years later
That's one of the joys of the DVDs: you get to see them whenever you want, you don't get edited episodes (although there are a few exceptions), and you get every episode, rather than skipping episodes The Man doesn't want you to see ( Molly Parker).

Quote:
and i remember loving the marathons of fol they did they even showed different strokes and silver spoons in 2001 for a minute i remember being really sad and angry when they took it off in the summer of 01 i was off school and looked forward to watching it i used to tape every episode religiously.
Yeah, it was very sad.

One thing I loved about FOL on Nick at Night is they would have funny bumpers, with the Nick at Nite announcer guy (anyone know his name?).

'80sSitcoms and I have talked about this, but I don't think most people here saw those threads. There was the "Blair Tootie Project", and the one about Molly Ringwald coming up missing, as they show Mrs. G cackling evilly. Who else remembers those?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
umfan87
Frequent Poster

i remember taping the launch marathon for fol on n@n it was in september of 2000 the blair tootie project i even remember the name of the vhs tape i used it was a focal vhs tape lol
umfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #14
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Dope, Facts of Love, Rough Housing were banned. I think the return of Mr. Garrett was also banned because of kids gambling. The suicide episode, the male strippers, the male beefcake calendar and "The First Time" were banned episodes later on. And they probably cut off the Blair Industries Langerie scene of Adoption.
The thing is, "Dope" was so mild. Sue Ann does very briefly smoke pot, but the girls quickly learn their lesson, and it's clear that the message is "pot is bad".

"Rough Housing" was also daring for the 1970s, but sooo tame by 2000s standards: Cindy questions her sexuality, but they never even use the word "gay" or "lesbian", and by the end of the episode, she's "cured".

I don't understand why Nick at Nite would be so conservative as to ban either episode. "The Facts of Love" I can see, due to the sex ed scene, which had some provocative statements by the girls, and the van scene, which is always shocking.

Do you recall if the Natalie-almost-raped episode was banned?

I also remember some channel in the early 2000s airing FOL during early morning hours.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #15
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by umfan87 View Post
i remember taping the launch marathon for fol on n@n it was in september of 2000 the blair tootie project i even remember the name of the vhs tape i used it was a focal vhs tape lol
Do you still have it?