Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes
FX Orders 3rd Season of Comedy; Adult Swim Brings Back Haddish and Wong Series
Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #61
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Apparently not!

Quote:
It's also the longest running female lead series.
But it seems you could only count certain seasons in that aspect, since there were some male leads along the way.

Quote:
Maude has hilarious one liners that I enjoy. Dorothy didn't have that. Dorothy was just there to boss people around and make fun of Rose.
Well I definitely can't agree with that. All four Golden Girls had constant one-liners (that show makes me "" more than most).

Quote:
Like the episode where Sophia's friend wants her help in committing suicide. Dorothy tells Sophia if she does that, she'll wind up a Rose story. Rose was trying to be supportive to Sophia and Dorothy belittled her intentions. Suicide is a heavy topic and I feel Dorothy ignored Sophia's situation to take a jab at Rose in that scene.
Hm, I didn't take that from that.

Quote:
Yes, that's what makes everyone unique is that we're all different
Yeah, but unfortunately for message boards for common interest topics, that gets in the way of basking in mutual agreement, which I prefer, lol.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:30 AM   #62
cfr1970

Quote:
Here's one article that mentions The Facts of Life was the first female cast show. It's definitely not mentioned as much as it should. It's also the longest running female lead series.

I still see a lot of Tootie in Rose. Thankfully she wasn't written to the extremes of being too silly to take.

Maude has hilarious one liners that I enjoy. Dorothy didn't have that. Dorothy was just there to boss people around and make fun of Rose. Like the episode where Sophia's friend wants her help in committing suicide. Dorothy tells Sophia if she does that, she'll wind up a Rose story. Rose was trying to be supportive to Sophia and Dorothy belittled her intentions. Suicide is a heavy topic and I feel Dorothy ignored Sophia's situation to take a jab at Rose in that scene.

I'd rather see the girls go through situations like we saw on The Facts of Life than sit at a table and show clips from previous episodes. Only a few of those flashback episodes were original with flashbacks about something not seen on screen before.

Yes, that's what makes everyone unique is that we're all different

To be fair, it wasn't just Dorothy....all those women were mean and catty to each other at times. The biting cut downs were a huge part of the show's humor. Each one of them could spew a cutting insult to the other.

Blanche always cut down on Dorothy's outfits and manly stature. And when Dorothy asked her what she'd say about her in her eulogy, Blanche was like "I'd say that you always made me feel protected" LOL.

Sophia cut down on all of them, and even Rose had a mean streak--especially towards Dorothy. The HUGE difference between GG and FOL is that you never saw the Core Four ever intentionally saying such biting insults to each other.

The insults Jo & Blair would toss back and forth to each other had more of a light humor to it than a mean streak like on GG. I think those old gals really despised each other deep down inside.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #63
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
To be fair, it wasn't just Dorothy....all those women were mean and catty to each other at times. The biting cut downs were a huge part of the show's humor. Each one of them could spew a cutting insult to the other.
Well, once you're "of a certain age", society gives you a pass for acting certain ways, lol. It's been said on message boards before how young girls could never have gotten away with the racy things the Golden Girls said, but because they were "overly mature", no one questioned them or batted an eye.

Quote:
And when Dorothy asked her what she'd say about her in her eulogy, Blanche was like "I'd say that you always made me feel protected" LOL.
Yes! The exact quote is, "I would say I always felt safe with you in the house. "

And then she pats Dorothy's hand appreciatively!

Quote:
Sophia cut down on all of them, and even Rose had a mean streak--especially towards Dorothy. The HUGE difference between GG and FOL is that you never saw the Core Four ever intentionally saying such biting insults to each other.

The insults Jo & Blair would toss back and forth to each other had more of a light humor to it than a mean streak like on GG. I think those old gals really despised each other deep down inside.

I can see what you mean, but when it comes down to it they really do love each other like family; the theme song and many of the show's ending are such comforts of that. I'm sure if some of us were over 55 and living together we'd care about each other but would get on each other's nerves too, lol.

Plus, NOT to be sexist (Molly alert! Molly alert!), but they are older women. I once worked with a girl (sorry, Molly---"woman"!) who used to wait on older people in a facility, and she said the old men were sweet and content as could be, but the old women were moody and crotchety and could be such big pains---and this fro someone who was a staunch feminist, always on the side of women! lol

That also reminds me of when I worked in retail, and I mentioned how this lady customer was being difficult, and the female colleague I was sharing this with said, "Oh, I'll be the first to tell you, women shoppers are the worst!" lol

Also, thinking about this while I was in the shower (don't we all think of Sitcoms Online while we're in the shower? ), I thought how I think Natalie's personality is much more like Sophia than she is Rose.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #64
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Well, once you're "of a certain age", society gives you a pass for acting certain ways, lol. It's been said on message boards before how young girls could never have gotten away with the racy things the Golden Girls said, but because they were "overly mature", no one questioned them or batted an eye.

Yes! The exact quote is, "I would say I always felt safe with you in the house. "

I can see what you mean, but when it comes down to it they really do love each other like family; the theme song and many of the show's ending are such comforts of that. I'm sure if some of us were over 55 and living together we'd care about each other but would get on each other's nerves too, lol.

Plus, NOT to be sexist (Molly alert! Molly alert!), but they are older women. I once worked with a girl (sorry, Molly---"woman"!) who used to wait on older people in a facility, and she said the old men were sweet and content as could be, but the old women were moody and crotchety and could be such big pains---and this fro someone who was a staunch feminist, always on the side of women! lol

That also reminds me of when I worked in retail, and I mentioned how this lady customer was being difficult, and the female colleague I was sharing this with said, "Oh, I'll be the first to tell you, women shoppers are the worst!" lol

Also, thinking about this while I was in the shower (don't we all think of Sitcoms Online while we're in the shower? ), I thought how I think Natalie's personality is much more like Sophia than she is Rose.

Yes that's the line! The way she says it so sweetly and with a smile makes it extra catty lol.

I worked retail 25 years in supermarkets and will be the first to confirm the women shoppers were nasty snakes. Just really really horrible. It reached the point where if I saw one coming, i'd leave the aisle before they got to me.

The men though? Nice as pie and always straight to the point. Men want to get in, grab their crap, and get the hell back out. Women can wander the aisles all day long looking for someone to pester to fill up their empty days. The bored housewives were the worst. Devil spawn from HELL they were!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:24 AM   #65
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Yes that's the line! The way she says it so sweetly and with a smile makes it extra catty lol.

But see, that's the beauty of these characters; I don't see that as her being catty, at least not entirely so. I think she thinks she herself was sweet for finding something "nice" to say, lol.

Quote:
I worked retail 25 years in supermarkets and will be the first to confirm the women shoppers were nasty snakes. Just really really horrible. It reached the point where if I saw one coming, i'd leave the aisle before they got to me.

Quote:
The men though? Nice as pie and always straight to the point. Men want to get in, grab their crap, and get the hell back out. Women can wander the aisles all day long looking for someone to pester to fill up their empty days. The bored housewives were the worst. Devil spawn from HELL they were!
Oh, are you gonna catch some hell from Molly Parker!

But yeah, I do know what you mean. I was in men's retail myself for a while, and it was very appreciative smooth sailing.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:39 AM   #66
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

I've enjoyed reading these comments comparing and contrasting FOL and GG, which I think were both great shows, each in their own way. I won't say one was better than the other (although FOL is closer to my heart, being a story of growing up, which I viewed while growing up), but I did like how FOL was sometimes better about continuity.

For example, it would have been very rare indeed for GG to bring back characters who hadn't been seen on the show for five seasons. Seasons two and three of FOL gave us seven more episodes of Lost Girl goodness, and for that, I'm very grateful (although I wish there had been more glimpses into these characters, especially in season four). And when FOL brought back our dear Lost Girls five years later, allowing us to get some closure on how they were doing after all these years, that was quite exceptional. Sure, I wish La Mol had done the episode, and that Mrs. Garrett had been there, but I don't think I've ever seen that careful attention to continuity on a 1980s sitcom.

Another example is the fourth(?)-season mention of Howard, who we hadn't seen since Season Two. Even the flashbacks in S5 to Mr. Bradley and the Lost Girls was a nice touch. And I suppose, for George Clooney fans, getting four final episodes with him must have been quite nice as well.

Bringing the show back to Eastland at the end of Season 9 was also a nice "full circle" moment. We never got that sort of experience on The Golden Palace.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #67
'80sSitcoms

It is interesting to note when folks "met" certain shows. I too grew up with both these shows, starting in my little formative years, so they're both very dear to me.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #68
cfr1970

Quote:

But see, that's the beauty of these characters; I don't see that as her being catty, at least not entirely so. I think she thinks she herself was sweet for finding something "nice" to say, lol.

Oh, are you gonna catch some hell from Molly Parker!

But yeah, I do know what you mean. I was in men's retail myself for a while, and it was very appreciative smooth sailing.
Oh no...I think deep down inside Blanche hated Dorothy. I think it stemmed from in the beginning when she called her a slut when her man made a move on her. There's another time when Dorothy asks her how she looked and Blanche just went OFF on her (again all sweetly) about her "spare tire" and other things lol. I think when she was out she and Rose made fun of her all day long.

Is Molly Parker some man hating feminist? All these Molly references to the potentially sexist comments has be thinking she was walking around Peekskill with a picket sign and burning her training bras! To be honest, women like that annoy the hell out of me, so I think when I focus on season 1 next time, i'm going to despise that character!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #69
80s Dude

Quote:
Oh no...I think deep down inside Blanche hated Dorothy. I think it stemmed from in the beginning when she called her a slut when her man made a move on her. There's another time when Dorothy asks her how she looked and Blanche just went OFF on her (again all sweetly) about her "spare tire" and other things lol. I think when she was out she and Rose made fun of her all day long.

Is Molly Parker some man hating feminist? All these Molly references to the potentially sexist comments has be thinking she was walking around Peekskill with a picket sign and burning her training bras! To be honest, women like that annoy the hell out of me, so I think when I focus on season 1 next time, i'm going to despise that character!
Just take a look at Molly Ringwald's social media pages to see how Molly Parker thinks.

Molly Parker is not a man hating feminist, she is a feminist, social justice warrior, and techno geek.
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #70
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Oh no...I think deep down inside Blanche hated Dorothy.
Nope, nope, the show's theme song is "Thank You For Bein' a Friend", not "Thank You For Bein' a Foe", lol.

Besides, just look at the series finale and how they all hated saying goodbye (*sniff!*).

Quote:
I think it stemmed from in the beginning when she called her a slut when her man made a move on her.
Now that was a very rough bump in their friendship!

Quote:
There's another time when Dorothy asks her how she looked and Blanche just went OFF on her (again all sweetly) about her "spare tire" and other things lol.
Lol, I know what you're talking about, but she wasn't sweet at all. She wasn't even talking to Dorothy. She was talking to Rose while demonstrating on Dorothy, as they were analyzing Dorothy's shortcomings in her looks when Dorothy was trying to decide which necklace to wear with her outfit, lol! Rose suggests Dorothy wear the chain as opposed to the pearls:

Blanche: "An amateur's mistake. Don't you see the chain directs the eye toward the spare tire jutting out over those square manly hips?"

Rose: "Well that's true, but the pearls draw attention to the non-existent bosom."

Quote:

Well it's not quite like "that", but you'll see what we mean, lol.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #71
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
Just take a look at Molly Ringwald's social media pages to see how Molly Parker thinks.

Molly Parker is not a man hating feminist, she is a feminist, social justice warrior, and techno geek.
I agree: Molly's not a man-hater, but she does fight for equality for women. (That was kind of important in 1980, when Mr. Bradley felt he knew more than a registered nurse about sex education.)
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #72
valentina warner

To be honest, i never watched THE GOLDEN GIRLS continually like i did with FOL (only when it was on TV) partly, because i couldn't identify myself with a bunch of middle aged women ha ha ha! But, from what i could see, the 4 of them seemed like a tight family (just like on FOL) or?
valentina warner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #73
'80sSitcoms

^---Yes, they loved each other, but definitely had to learn how to live with each other, lol.

And you don't have to be the same demographic as a show's actors to enjoy it or connect with it. GG astounded the TV industry by covering demographics all across the board and getting people to tune in on Saturday nights. To connect with a show, you'll just jibe with its terrific writing, acting, and directing (provided it hopefully has those, lol).
Old 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #74
cfr1970

Quote:
^---Yes, they loved each other, but definitely had to learn how to live with each other, lol.

And you don't have to be the same demographic as a show's actors to enjoy it or connect with it. GG astounded the TV industry by covering demographics all across the board and getting people to tune in on Saturday nights. To connect with a show, you'll just jibe with its terrific writing, acting, and directing (provided it hopefully has those, lol).
That reminds me of when Dorothy lost it and yelled "I could've been living in a swinging singles retirement place. But instead i'm stuck living with...oh I shouldn't say any thing more....(sips her coffee)....a SLUT and a MORON!....(looks down at her cup)...It must be decaf"

I should go over to the GG board....are they friendly over there? I'm still reeling from the politics board and gun shy about trying any new boards around here. I have very thin skin!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #75
'80sSitcoms

Lol, I think you'll be okay! The show boards are been pretty easygoing.

(Lord, why would you go to politics?!? LOL )