Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Space Force on Netflix Thoughts; BET+ Comedy Gets Binge Premiere
Antenna TV's Coach Father's Day Marathon; The CW Acquires Patrick Dempsey Thriller for Fall 2020
HBO Max Comedy Starts Strong; Alexa & Katie Returns in June for Final Episodes
Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+


New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #31
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
I had no idea she dated him. Boy you guys know everything!
There are still a million things we don't know, but the Nancy/Michael relationship was very well known at the time, and they were photographed smooching everywhere. Here they are hobnobbing with the Reagans (see below).

Quote:
Even if she wasn't asking for 5x the pay, pulling that not too long after Somers did it and failed was still a risky move. Especially with another ensemble cast that losing one character wouldn't hurt too much. She could've been easily shown the door and one of the Lost Girls could've came back in her place.

I'm glad it obviously worked out for her....but like her character, she's sure got balls!
I applaud Nancy for sticking to her guns. As you say, it could have gone badly, and it's not like there weren't actresses waiting in the wings. Negotiations rarely went well for female stars in that era. I think we all know of examples. (Lorimar sure does! )
Attached Images
 
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #32
cfr1970
Member
Senior Member
 
cfr1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2017
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 2,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
There are still a million things we don't know, but the Nancy/Michael relationship was very well known at the time, and they were photographed smooching everywhere. Here they are hobnobbing with the Reagans (see below).



I applaud Nancy for sticking to her guns. As you say, it could have gone badly, and it's not like there weren't actresses waiting in the wings. Negotiations rarely went well for female stars in that era. I think we all know of examples. (Lorimar sure does! )
In all these years I never knew he dated her. That's the first i've seen of that pic. All I remember is Fox dating his co star Tracy Pollen and they married. I remember that relationship getting lots of publicity.
But dating Nancy is news to me...I don't think I focused on celebrities back then. And also we didn't have internet so all that stuff was relegated to teen fan magazines and supermarket tabloids---neither of which I had any use for.

I hope Nancy M. eventually writes an autobiography. Being in the business since a child, i'm sure she has lots to share--maybe when she gets older she'll do it.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #33
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
In all these years I never knew he dated her. That's the first i've seen of that pic.
Here are a few more.

Quote:
All I remember is Fox dating his co star Tracy Pollen and they married. I remember that relationship getting lots of publicity.
But dating Nancy is news to me...I don't think I focused on celebrities back then. And also we didn't have internet so all that stuff was relegated to teen fan magazines and supermarket tabloids---neither of which I had any use for.
I definitely never paid attention to Teen Beat or Tiger Beat or whatever, but they did interviews and had photos taken everywhere. They were in Rolling Stone. They often appeared in the same films, and I'm pretty sure they did several "One to Grow Ons" together. For a while, they couldn't be separated, on- or off-stage.

That was the polar opposite of the Fox/Pollan relationship, where Tracy actually left Family Ties to preserve their relationship (I always preferred Ellen over the character Courteney Cox played, so it was disappointing to see Tracy leave the show).

Quote:
I hope Nancy M. eventually writes an autobiography. Being in the business since a child, i'm sure she has lots to share--maybe when she gets older she'll do it.
I'd read it!
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #34
cfr1970
Member
Senior Member
 
cfr1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2017
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 2,563
Default

[QUOTE=RetroGuy2000;5702746]

I definitely never paid attention to Teen Beat or Tiger Beat or whatever, but they did interviews and had photos taken everywhere. They were in Rolling Stone. They often appeared in the same films, and I'm pretty sure they did several "One to Grow Ons" together. For a while, they couldn't be separated, on- or off-stage.

That was the polar opposite of the Fox/Pollan relationship, where Tracy actually left Family Ties to preserve their relationship (I always preferred Ellen over the character Courteney Cox played, so it was disappointing to see Tracy leave the show
)./QUOTE]

Wow. I'm now wondering where the hell was I when this was going on?! I was very heavily into TV in the mid 80's, addicted to it! But that relationship completely went over my head.
I remember the summer of '85 very clearly because that's both the summer I went to L.A. on the bus and also when Fox had "Back to the Future" out and he was EVERYWHERE since it zoomed his star status into the stratosphere....but still I don't recall Nancy being associated with him during that time. Were they split up by then?

I'm trying to remember Jo Polniaczeck & Alex P. Keaton together lol....and it just doesn't jog any memories for me...but all those pics sure do prove it happened!

I too preferred Pollan over Cox. Like her Freinds co-star Aniston, she doesn't have much acting range either and her stint on Family Ties can easily be called "The One Before Monica Moved to New York" because she pretty much acts like a younger Monica.

I messed up the quoting.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #35
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post

Wow. I'm now wondering where the hell was I when this was going on?! I was very heavily into TV in the mid 80's, addicted to it! But that relationship completely went over my head.
I remember the summer of '85 very clearly because that's both the summer I went to L.A. on the bus and also when Fox had "Back to the Future" out and he was EVERYWHERE since it zoomed his star status into the stratosphere....but still I don't recall Nancy being associated with him during that time. Were they split up by then?
Nancy and Michael met in 1983, on the set of High School USA (which also starred Dana Plato, Todd Bridges, and Lauri Hendler, among others). Back to the Future filming wrapped in April 1985. Tracy and Michael met in Summer 1985 on the set of FT. Nancy and Michael were apparently still together then, because sources state they were together for "three years".


Quote:
I too preferred Pollan over Cox. Like her Freinds co-star Aniston, she doesn't have much acting range either and her stint on Family Ties can easily be called "The One Before Monica Moved to New York" because she pretty much acts like a younger Monica.
Maybe so, but I wouldn't want anyone other than Aniston or Cox in their roles on Friends.

Quote:
I messed up the quoting.
Add a square bracket ([) before "/QUOTE]"
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #36
Schmoopie
Keep Calm and Love Snoopy
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
Schmoopie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Lynnwood, Washington
Posts: 15,614
Default

I remember that episode. Wasn't a fan of it at all.
__________________
In memory of my wonderful husband. I love and miss you more than words can say, but I will always and forever keep you in my heart.

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019




Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #37
cfr1970
Member
Senior Member
 
cfr1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2017
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 2,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Nancy and Michael met in 1983, on the set of High School USA (which also starred Dana Plato, Todd Bridges, and Lauri Hendler, among others). Back to the Future filming wrapped in April 1985. Tracy and Michael met in Summer 1985 on the set of FT. Nancy and Michael were apparently still together then, because sources state they were together for "three years".




Maybe so, but I wouldn't want anyone other than Aniston or Cox in their roles on Friends.



Add a square bracket ([) before "/QUOTE]"
Wow. That's a long time they were together but it looks like he found his true mate when Pollan came along since I believe they're still together 35 years later.

Thanks for the Quote help...one of these days i'm gonna get it right.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #38
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,281
Nodsmiley BLAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Blair and Monica have a moment to discuss her upbringing in "A New Life" but it's not dramatic. I think the reason Lisa was never given dramatic scenes is because her acting was best on the comedy side. I think she could have handled drama if they had given her more of a chance.

Nancy went on strike at the beginning of season 6. That's why My Boyfriend's Back and Smile don't feature her. They were the first two episodes produced until Nancy's salary was settled and she came back to work. I don't know if she made more than the others. I hope not. I don't pay attention to the gossip on behind the scenes because we weren't there and don't know the full story. Everyone has different perspectives and it's not always the way it went down. I just accept the show for what it's worth.

I don't quite agree: BLAIR may have been a comedienne, but she also had some dramatic moments and some of these episodes prove it, for instance,

'Magnificent obsession': we see BLAIR falling for a guy who mentally abuses her, and it's up to JO to help her.

'Daddy's girl': BLAIR wants to spend some quality time with her dad, but all he has to offer her is money!

'Working it out': BLAIR self loathing when she falls out of love with her first serious boyfriend CLIFF, and it's up to MRS G to save her.

I can name a few other episodes, and even though JO had really dramatic moments and was seeing crying most of the time, i always felt that BLAIR was suffering just as much 'internally'....
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #39
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,281
Biggrin BLAIR and MRS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
I think that was a risky move on her part since this was 1984 and i'm sure the Three's Company/Suzanne Somers debacle was still fresh in people's minds. She really rolled the dice not appearing in a couple of episodes and holding out like that.
I wonder what the other cast members thought at the time? I have to disagree and say that if she wanted more than the other girls, I don't think that was right.
Even if she worked more or had more lines to rehearse, they were all equal stars on the show and should've earned equal pay. The only one that should have rightfully earned more was Charlotte Rae since she was more experienced.
And I know someone here mentioned Jo being a fan favorite, but I don't remember her getting more attention over the others in media and magazines. Maybe she did and I just didn't notice?
When I think of FOL, the first person I immediately think of is Blair. I think had she pulled the same stunt it would've worked too because I think she was more instrumental to the show than Jo was. jmo though.

Me too: when i think of FOL, BLAIR is the first one who pops in my mind, followed by MRS G (certainly not JO, although she has a big fan club up there) after all, they were the original two from 'The girls school' pilot on DS lol!

And yes, BLAIR was definitely more instrumental than JO: after all, she was the main one from season 1, and the one who stole the limelight from NANCY!
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #40
80s Dude
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 24, 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
Me too: when i think of FOL, BLAIR is the first one who pops in my mind, followed by MRS G (certainly not JO, although she has a big fan club up there) after all, they were the original two from 'The girls school' pilot on DS lol!

And yes, BLAIR was definitely more instrumental than JO: after all, she was the main one from season 1, and the one who stole the limelight from NANCY!
Blair stole the limelight from one Nancy and then another Nancy came and stoll the spotlight from her.
80s Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #41
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,281
Nodsmiley BLAIR + JO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
Blair stole the limelight from one Nancy and then another Nancy came and stoll the spotlight from her.

Not really: BLAIR was just as important as JO: (although the 'Bronx girl' has more fans) happyface
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #42
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
Not a fan of this episode---and a 2 parter to boot. Ugh. I guess it was inevitable one of them was going to learn this fact of life...dating older guy with a kid, but it was just boring. And I hated that the rest of the cast was basically shoved into the background for 2 episodes.
That's the show's Jo favoritism for ya, lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
I'd go as far as call this the worst of the entire series. (so far).
Wow!

Well, in my alternate faniverse, I changed it to Molly dating her photography teacher and getting in over her strong-willed head. I would have enjoyed that much more!
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #43
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I wouldn't have preferred that. The Golden Girls were The Facts of Life Girls older. Blair was Blanche, Jo was Dorothy, Mrs. Garrett was Sophia, and Natalie and Tootie were mixed to make Rose.
That's generalizing too much though, and really there's no evidence that TGG "ripped off" anything from FOL. Some of the characters do have similarities, yes, but I doubt Susan Harris took her cues from FOL. There are a couple of great books all about the origin, concept, development, and history of the show.

But by your pattern, I'd say Mrs. G and Nat were more like mixed to be Sophia than Nat and Toot mixed like Rose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I don't get the appeal of The Golden Girls after rewatching the show when I got older.
How do you not get the appeal? lol It's one of the most classic sitcoms ever in the entire history of historical human mankind. It crosses all demographics of age and gender across the board with flying colors. Far more than FOL ever did and ever will (as dearly as I love this show).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
There are SOOOO many flashback episodes. They ran out of ideas way too soon.
That wasn't running out of ideas, that was part of the show's charm. Who doesn't love to sit around listening to their grandmothers and great-aunts tell hilarious family stories? (as we viewers did through the TV screen)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
think the only reason Nancy got the most episodes season 6 was because she fought for that raise and they decided to make her work harder for it.


"You think you won, Nance? We'll show you!"
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #44
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
Thanks for no spoilers! It looks like season 6 is where the decline started
Are you kidding? It's an Edna's Edibles year!
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #45
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I think the reason Lisa was never given dramatic scenes is because her acting was best on the comedy side.
She had dramatic scenes and stories.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.