Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 25, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Fall Lineup Looking to Include Fewer Sitcoms; Head of the Class Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Will HBO Max Work?; ABC Announces 2020-21 Season Programming
Freeform Announces 2020-21 Slate; Fox Brings Back Last Man Standing, Prodigal Son and The Resident for 2021
Summer of Me Returns June 1 on MeTV; FXX Orders More Dave
CBS Upfront 2020-21: Fall 2020 Schedule; Remembering Ken Osmond of Leave it to Beaver
Pop TV Slates Date for One Day at a Time Animated Episode; Remembering Fred Willard of Modern Family, Everybody Loves Raymond and Fernwood 2 Night

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #16
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
But 8 was good?....Give me something to look forward to!
I adore 8-01, 8-02, 8-06. 8-12 and 8-18 are additionally quite funny, but I honestly prefer the first four seasons of the show. 8-06 is, IMO, a return to the classic era of the show. No spoilers.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #17
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Gone With the Wind airs next Thursday 4/2 on Antenna tv. I peeked at the Wikipedia episode page and it says a hurricane in FL during spring break! Sounds fun lol. ok...no spoilers! I'm looking forward to this one!

Too bad they didn't get stranded in the Golden Girls house lol....it was before that show started but what a fun crossover that could've been!
That could have been hilarious! Imagine, for example, Blanche and Blair talking about how gorgeous they are. Then Dorothy and Jo could be sarcastic in response. Then Sophia and Natalie crack a joke. Followed by Rose and Tootie saying something dumb.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #18
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I adore 8-01, 8-02, 8-06. 8-12 and 8-18 are additionally quite funny, but I honestly prefer the first four seasons of the show. 8-06 is, IMO, a return to the classic era of the show. No spoilers.
Thanks for no spoilers! It looks like season 6 is where the decline started because so far i've enjoyed all the episodes i've seen. I'm now looking forward to season 8 though and then seeing how it eventually ends even if season 9 is crappy.
cfr1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #19
cfr1970

Quote:
That could have been hilarious! Imagine, for example, Blanche and Blair talking about how gorgeous they are. Then Dorothy and Jo could be sarcastic in response. Then Sophia and Natalie crack a joke. Followed by Rose and Tootie saying something dumb.
I could picture all that happening and it would've been loads of fun! I remember the big crossover they did one Saturday. I think it was 1990 where the whole Saturday lineup of shows crossed over for a big hurricane....Golden Girls, Empty Nest and I think Nurses...it was a big event at the time.

If FOL was still on, surely they would've been included since they aired right before GG towards the end of it's run.

And OMG Rose & Tootie, Dorothy & Jo, Blair & Blanche, Nat & Sophia---all would've made for such great comedy pairing.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #20
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Too bad they didn't get stranded in the Golden Girls house lol....it was before that show started but what a fun crossover that could've been!

I wouldn't have preferred that. The Golden Girls were The Facts of Life Girls older. Blair was Blanche, Jo was Dorothy, Mrs. Garrett was Sophia, and Natalie and Tootie were mixed to make Rose. I don't get the appeal of The Golden Girls after rewatching the show when I got older. There are SOOOO many flashback episodes. They ran out of ideas way too soon.

I don't mind Taking A Chance on Love. I would have preferred the two parter on Blair's breakup with Cliff instead of Jo dating an older guy. They had a chance to make a really good deep episode for Blair but dropped the ball IMO. I think the only reason Nancy got the most episodes season 6 was because she fought for that raise and they decided to make her work harder for it.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I wouldn't have preferred that. The Golden Girls were The Facts of Life Girls older. Blair was Blanche, Jo was Dorothy, Mrs. Garrett was Sophia, and Natalie and Tootie were mixed to make Rose. I don't get the appeal of The Golden Girls after rewatching the show when I got older. There are SOOOO many flashback episodes. They ran out of ideas way too soon.

I don't mind Taking A Chance on Love. I would have preferred the two parter on Blair's breakup with Cliff instead of Jo dating an older guy. They had a chance to make a really good deep episode for Blair but dropped the ball IMO. I think the only reason Nancy got the most episodes season 6 was because she fought for that raise and they decided to make her work harder for it.
From what i've seen so far, Blair doesn't seem to get too many of the dramatic episodes, and it's a shame because I think she's good at it. We saw a glimmer of it in "Taking a Chance on Love" where she warns Jo about getting too attached to the kid and then leaving and I wanted to see and know more from her in that scene.
It seems from that scene, she harbors some resentment from her childhood---do we ever see more of that revealed? I was left wanting to know more.

Nancy fought for a raise? Why? Was she earning less than the others? If so, it's understandable...but if she was asking for more than they were getting, I don't like that.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #22
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
From what i've seen so far, Blair doesn't seem to get too many of the dramatic episodes, and it's a shame because I think she's good at it. We saw a glimmer of it in "Taking a Chance on Love" where she warns Jo about getting too attached to the kid and then leaving and I wanted to see and know more from her in that scene.
It seems from that scene, she harbors some resentment from her childhood---do we ever see more of that revealed? I was left wanting to know more.

Nancy fought for a raise? Why? Was she earning less than the others? If so, it's understandable...but if she was asking for more than they were getting, I don't like that.

Blair and Monica have a moment to discuss her upbringing in "A New Life" but it's not dramatic. I think the reason Lisa was never given dramatic scenes is because her acting was best on the comedy side. I think she could have handled drama if they had given her more of a chance.

Nancy went on strike at the beginning of season 6. That's why My Boyfriend's Back and Smile don't feature her. They were the first two episodes produced until Nancy's salary was settled and she came back to work. I don't know if she made more than the others. I hope not. I don't pay attention to the gossip on behind the scenes because we weren't there and don't know the full story. Everyone has different perspectives and it's not always the way it went down. I just accept the show for what it's worth.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Blair and Monica have a moment to discuss her upbringing in "A New Life" but it's not dramatic. I think the reason Lisa was never given dramatic scenes is because her acting was best on the comedy side. I think she could have handled drama if they had given her more of a chance.

Nancy went on strike at the beginning of season 6. That's why My Boyfriend's Back and Smile don't feature her. They were the first two episodes produced until Nancy's salary was settled and she came back to work. I don't know if she made more than the others. I hope not. I don't pay attention to the gossip on behind the scenes because we weren't there and don't know the full story. Everyone has different perspectives and it's not always the way it went down. I just accept the show for what it's worth.
I hope she was fighting for equal pay as the others were getting and not more. That wouldn't be right. She did come in a year later to the series so hopefully that's the case, that she wasn't getting as much as the others and fought for it.

I'd hate to think she had a primadonna moment and wanted more. It was an ensemble cast and all should've earned the same. I guess the only way to know the truth is if she wrote a book, and I don't see that coming from her. She seems to be a very private person and I also get the feeling she wants to keep a distance from her FOL years. At least she did for a long while after the show ended. I don't know how she is about it today.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
I hope she was fighting for equal pay as the others were getting and not more. That wouldn't be right. She did come in a year later to the series so hopefully that's the case, that she wasn't getting as much as the others and fought for it.
I strongly suspect that Nancy was asking for more than what the other girls made, because it wouldn't be reasonable for the producers to balk at paying her equally, after four complete seasons into her contract. However, I'm okay with her asking for more money, because she was featured in more episodes than the other girls. She thus would have had longer hours, would have had to learn more lines, and more stress would have been placed on her.

So, to me, whether she was just asking for pay equity, or was asking for a raise above what the others were getting, I'm fine with it. We know, from Mindy's interview, that the girls still don't receive money from the DVD sales, so whatever they made during the show's original run, plus later appearances in film and on talk shows, is really it.

Quote:
I also get the feeling she wants to keep a distance from her FOL years. At least she did for a long while after the show ended. I don't know how she is about it today.
Nancy definitely distanced herself from FOL, and later all Hollywood. She's stated several times that she's done FOL appearances at awards ceremonies and interviews "for Charlotte", and as a way of honoring Charlotte. I'm not sure how many interviews and appearances she will do, now that Charlotte is gone.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #25
cfr1970

Quote:
I strongly suspect that Nancy was asking for more than what the other girls made, because it wouldn't be reasonable for the producers to balk at paying her equally, after four complete seasons into her contract. However, I'm okay with her asking for more money, because she was featured in more episodes than the other girls. She thus would have had longer hours, would have had to learn more lines, and more stress would have been placed on her.

So, to me, whether she was just asking for pay equity, or was asking for a raise above what the others were getting, I'm fine with it. We know, from Mindy's interview, that the girls still don't receive money from the DVD sales, so whatever they made during the show's original run, plus later appearances in film and on talk shows, is really it.

Nancy definitely distanced herself from FOL, and later all Hollywood. She's stated several times that she's done FOL appearances at awards ceremonies and interviews "for Charlotte", and as a way of honoring Charlotte. I'm not sure how many interviews and appearances she will do, now that Charlotte is gone.
I think that was a risky move on her part since this was 1984 and i'm sure the Three's Company/Suzanne Somers debacle was still fresh in people's minds. She really rolled the dice not appearing in a couple of episodes and holding out like that.
I wonder what the other cast members thought at the time? I have to disagree and say that if she wanted more than the other girls, I don't think that was right.
Even if she worked more or had more lines to rehearse, they were all equal stars on the show and should've earned equal pay. The only one that should have rightfully earned more was Charlotte Rae since she was more experienced.
And I know someone here mentioned Jo being a fan favorite, but I don't remember her getting more attention over the others in media and magazines. Maybe she did and I just didn't notice?
When I think of FOL, the first person I immediately think of is Blair. I think had she pulled the same stunt it would've worked too because I think she was more instrumental to the show than Jo was. jmo though.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #26
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
I think that was a risky move on her part since this was 1984 and i'm sure the Three's Company/Suzanne Somers debacle was still fresh in people's minds. She really rolled the dice not appearing in a couple of episodes and holding out like that.
I wonder what the other cast members thought at the time? I have to disagree and say that if she wanted more than the other girls, I don't think that was right.
Even if she worked more or had more lines to rehearse, they were all equal stars on the show and should've earned equal pay. The only one that should have rightfully earned more was Charlotte Rae since she was more experienced.
And I know someone here mentioned Jo being a fan favorite, but I don't remember her getting more attention over the others in media and magazines. Maybe she did and I just didn't notice?
When I think of FOL, the first person I immediately think of is Blair. I think had she pulled the same stunt it would've worked too because I think she was more instrumental to the show than Jo was. jmo though.
I think one important difference between Nancy McKeon and Suzanne Somers is that Suzanne actually went on talk shows to air her grievances in public, making the producers look bad. That was never going to end well, and was never going to be accepted in Hollywood (where big studio execs, all men, controlled every aspect of the business). Suzanne's manager (her husband) must have been crazy to suggest doing that. Nancy simply held out for more money.

Additionally, the amount Suzanne demanded (five times her previous pay) was exorbitant. I doubt Nancy was holding out for a raise that was five times what she was previously making, but she might have asked for an amount similar to what Michael J. Fox was making on Family Ties (they were dating around that time).
Old 03-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #27
80s Dude

I always thought Nancy M. was fighting for pay raises for the other 3 as well.
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #28
80s Dude

They talk about not making a whole lot of money on the show here during the Good Morning America reunion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXN-FyNMUw&t=2s
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #29
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
I always thought Nancy M. was fighting for pay raises for the other 3 as well.
I have never heard this. If that was the case, why were they still showing up to the set?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #30
cfr1970

Quote:
I think one important difference between Nancy McKeon and Suzanne Somers is that Suzanne actually went on talk shows to air her grievances in public, making the producers look bad. That was never going to end well, and was never going to be accepted in Hollywood (where big studio execs, all men, controlled every aspect of the business). Suzanne's manager (her husband) must have been crazy to suggest doing that. Nancy simply held out for more money.

Additionally, the amount Suzanne demanded (five times her previous pay) was exorbitant. I doubt Nancy was holding out for a raise that was five times what she was previously making, but she might have asked for an amount similar to what Michael J. Fox was making on Family Ties (they were dating around that time).
I had no idea she dated him. Boy you guys know everything!

Even if she wasn't asking for 5x the pay, pulling that not too long after Somers did it and failed was still a risky move. Especially with another ensemble cast that losing one character wouldn't hurt too much. She could've been easily shown the door and one of the Lost Girls could've came back in her place.

I'm glad it obviously worked out for her....but like her character, she's sure got balls!