Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes
FX Orders 3rd Season of Comedy; Adult Swim Brings Back Haddish and Wong Series
Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
cfr1970

Default Cruisin'

I read a couple people like this one a lot? I found it strange, the whole episode filmed in the car gave it a slight claustrophobic feel. I prefer everyone running around on the set.

I liked their singing at the end. That was a lot of fun to watch. I vaguely remember seeing this one as a kid. I see it aired on Halloween of '84. My trick or treating days were behind me and I was still too young to party so i'm sure I was home watching it.

When Tootie swings open the car door to rush to the phone, that whole tray of sodas and food would've splashed to the ground! Yet when she comes back they're all still perfectly standing on the tray!

And then when Jo burns rubber out of the parking lot, they surely would've scattered all over the ground, yet we see a wide shot and the parking apace is perfectly clean. They must've glued those drinks to the tray.

It was an ok episode made better with the singing scene at the end. And yes, we still did cruising with our cars in the 80's. I grew up in the Bronx like Jo and can attest that we did that into the late 80's. Good times they were!!

With gas prices the way they are today, I doubt the kids do it anymore.

The ep. before it was Tootie breaking up with Jeff. WTH was she doing dating someone in college?! I thought they both were in Eastland together!! Yikes!
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
I read a couple people like this one a lot? I found it strange, the whole episode filmed in the car gave it a slight claustrophobic feel. I prefer everyone running around on the set.

Boy, would you love "The Girls' School"!

Quote:
I liked their singing at the end. That was a lot of fun to watch. I vaguely remember seeing this one as a kid. I see it aired on Halloween of '84. My trick or treating days were behind me and I was still too young to party so i'm sure I was home watching it.

And back when Halloween was after the time change, so trick-or-treating was in the dark! (oh, those good ol' days---"Facts" on the air, and trick-or-treating at night!)

Quote:
When Tootie swings open the car door to rush to the phone, that whole tray of sodas and food would've splashed to the ground! Yet when she comes back they're all still perfectly standing on the tray!

Quote:
And then when Jo burns rubber out of the parking lot, they surely would've scattered all over the ground, yet we see a wide shot and the parking apace is perfectly clean. They must've glued those drinks to the tray.

Quote:
I grew up in the Bronx like Jo and can attest that we did that into the late 80's. Good times they were!!
You did?? Cool! I didn't know you could relate to a geographical aspect of the show so well!

Quote:
With gas prices the way they are today, I doubt the kids do it anymore.
You mean what with Smartphones being around today! lol

Quote:
The ep. before it was Tootie breaking up with Jeff. WTH was she doing dating someone in college?! I thought they both were in Eastland together!! Yikes!
Really? I thought it was mentioned somewhere that he was in college? Maybe this was it, lol.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post

Boy, would you love "The Girls' School"!

What's "The Girls' School"?!

A[/QUOTE]nd back when Halloween was after the time change, so trick-or-treating was in the dark! (oh, those good ol' days---"Facts" on the air, and trick-or-treating at night!)[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that! Yes! We used to move the clocks back before Halloween making it dark earlier.

[/QUOTE]You did?? Cool! I didn't know you could relate to a geographical aspect of the show so well![/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, i've been to pretty much all the places the girls went in that show. Bronx, Peekskill, Manhattan...It is probably a reason I relate so much to it.

[/QUOTE]You mean what with Smartphones being around today! [/QUOTE]

I'm SO grateful we didn't have those damn things in the 80's and 90's!!

[/QUOTE]Really? I thought it was mentioned somewhere that he was in college? Maybe this was it, lol.[/QUOTE]

I always assumed Tootie's guy went to school with her. Maybe he did and this was his first year off to college? The breakup was logical imo. No way a guy like that is going to sit around in college waiting on his 15 year old girl to graduate HS.

I THINK I learned to multi-quote finally?....NOPE! Just previewed and it's still a damn mess...so I just bolded all my replies. Back to copy/paste I guess. Oh well.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
I THINK I learned to multi-quote finally?....NOPE! Just previewed and it's still a damn mess...so I just bolded all my replies. Back to copy/paste I guess. Oh well.

You'll get there!

I will say though, one way I quote in e-mails is to italicize the part I'm quoting, and "regular text" my reply. If you might try that, it may be a little more "friendly" to read without everything being bolded, lol.

But then, I'd still clean up all the [I] tags or [B] tags (like all the [B] ones in this reply), so I dunno, lol.

Quote:
It's the first time we see Eastland! It's the season 2 finale of "Diff'rent Strokes"!

Quote:
I forgot about that! Yes! We used to move the clocks back before Halloween making it dark earlier.
Right?? I've been lamenting the change ever since it happened! I miss early-dark Halloween!

Quote:
Come to think of it, i've been to pretty much all the places the girls went in that show. Bronx, Peekskill, Manhattan...It is probably a reason I relate so much to it.
Manhattan?? The one the Muppets took '84?? Oh, awesome!

Quote:
Me tooooooo!!
Old 03-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
valentina warner

Music 'The girl's school'

Quote:

'The girl's school' is the last episode from DS you're waiting to buy to watch lol!

A
nd back when Halloween was after the time change, so trick-or-treating was in the dark! (oh, those good ol' days---"Facts" on the air, and trick-or-treating at night!)[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]You did?? Cool! I didn't know you could relate to a geographical aspect of the show so well![/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]You mean what with Smartphones being around today! [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Really? I thought it was mentioned somewhere that he was in college? Maybe this was it, lol.[/QUOTE]

I always assumed Tootie's guy went to school with her. Maybe he did and this was his first year off to college? The breakup was logical imo. No way a guy like that is going to sit around in college waiting on his 15 year old girl to graduate HS.

I THINK I learned to multi-quote finally?....NOPE! Just previewed and it's still a damn mess...so I just bolded all my replies. Back to copy/paste I guess. Oh well. [/QUOTE]
valentina warner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #6
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

CFR, since you're going to purchase the FOL DVDs, there definitely two episodes you should see. One is "The Girls' School", which is an episode of Diff'rent Strokes that served as the backdoor pilot. It is not included on the complete FOL DVDs, nor on the season releases. But it's definitely worth seeing. Here it is on Daily Motion (sorry no CC, but there might be CC on the first season DS DVD).

The other episode is "The Slumber Party", DS Season 2.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
CFR, since you're going to purchase the FOL DVDs, there definitely two episodes you should see. One is "The Girls' School", which is an episode of Diff'rent Strokes that served as the backdoor pilot. It is not included on the complete FOL DVDs, nor on the season releases. But it's definitely worth seeing. Here it is on Daily Motion (sorry no CC, but there might be CC on the first season DS DVD).

Oh! So it's NOT on the complete FOL series dvd set? Thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely going to get the 1st season of DS just for the "Girl's School" episode. I'll maybe have to get the next season too for "Slumber Party".

I mentioned in another thread earlier I can get season 1 DS for just $7 bucks used incl shipping on Amazon. Valentina here mentioned how good that "Girls School" episode is so for that price, it's well worth getting.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #8
valentina warner

TV The girl's school

Quote:

Hi retro!

Didn't you read: cfr1970 is going to buy season 1 DS on Amazon for just 7 to be able to watch 'The girl's school' lol!
valentina warner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
Hi retro!

Didn't you read: cfr1970 is going to buy season 1 DS on Amazon for just 7 to be able to watch 'The girl's school' lol!
He probably hasn't gotten through that thread yet. The Facts of Life sure is a busy forum. Lots to read each day. I think it's one of the busiest?
Old 03-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #10
RetroGuy2000

Got it! Yeah, at that price, it's a steal. Definitely worth it. You get to see the very beginnings of FOL, before many of the characters even existed! I can see why Valentina would recommend it.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 PM   #11
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
He probably hasn't gotten through that thread yet. The Facts of Life sure is a busy forum. Lots to read each day. I think it's one of the busiest?
It's definitely one of the most active, here. And out of all the forums here, it's actually the one with the most messages.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:43 AM   #12
cfr1970

Quote:
It's definitely one of the most active, here. And out of all the forums here, it's actually the one with the most messages.
It's become the only one I come to anymore. Everyone is happy and friendly and it seems all pretty much agree on the show. You don't see many heated debates going on here. Just pure love for the show and that's so great!!

And almost all of us despise Kelly!

Except for the Loki.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:17 AM   #13
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Beat'cha to it! I already showed him that in another thread.

Or, as Mr. Bradley's stopwatch might say, I beat you by 5 seconds.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to get the 1st season of DS just for the "Girl's School" episode.
Oh you'll enjoy some "Garrett goodness" in there too---there are a couple of Mrs. Garrett episodes! And unlike my friend Lorsie, I'm not gonna tell you what they're about. lol

Quote:
The Facts of Life sure is a busy forum. Lots to read each day. I think it's one of the busiest?
Quote:
It's definitely one of the most active here. And out of all the forums here, it's actually the one with the most messages.
To speak vulgarly ungrammatical, "You guys ain't seen nothin'!" You should've seen this place 20 years ago! These boards were HOP. PIN.' You couldn't believe all the new messages when you'd refresh---and I'm talkin' the whole board, not just FOL! (but definitely here included)

Quote:
It's become the only one I come to anymore. Everyone is happy and friendly and it seems all pretty much agree on the show. You don't see many heated debates going on here. Just pure love for the show and that's so great!!
Yeah, it's almost that way all the time, but unfortunately not 100%.

Quote:
And almost all of us despise Kelly!

Quote:
Except for the Loki.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 AM   #14
WriterChick78
Frequent Poster

I love it here, too. It's a great place to go and talk about my favorite shows, especially since we were ordered now to stay home here in New Orleans.

I love to reminisce about the 80s. I was a child and they were the happiest time of my life.
WriterChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:17 AM   #15
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterChick78 View Post
I love it here, too. It's a great place to go and talk about my favorite shows, especially since we were ordered now to stay home here in New Orleans.

I love to reminisce about the 80s. I was a child and they were the happiest time of my life.
So sorry to hear that you guys, too, have been told to stay home. Stay safe!

We're so glad you've chosen to come here and talk about 1980s TV. It was such an unusual time in pop culture. The music and the television shows were definitely one of the best parts of the 1980s. Coming here is like taking a walk down memory lane! And getting to talk with others who either experienced it, or even those who never experienced it, has been SO fun.