Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

FX Orders 3rd Season of Comedy; Adult Swim Brings Back Haddish and Wong Series
Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 25, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Fall Lineup Looking to Include Fewer Sitcoms; Head of the Class Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Will HBO Max Work?; ABC Announces 2020-21 Season Programming
Freeform Announces 2020-21 Slate; Fox Brings Back Last Man Standing, Prodigal Son and The Resident for 2021
Summer of Me Returns June 1 on MeTV; FXX Orders More Dave

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic
Default "What Really Happened to the Class of '65?"

Anybody seen this, it is a drama and not a sitcom but I thought it would get more attention here. Anyway it sounds like a very interesting show. From what I have read there is only one main character on the entire series. It turned out empty at the trading board so I don't think this was syndicated. Anyone seen it?

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
gilligan fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
TV Knowledge Fan

Default If I remember correctly..

...it was more of an "anthology" series, with "Our Hero" following up on some of the graduates of the "Class of '65"--and find out what they're doing in "1978".

Very short lived, about 13 weeks or episodes.

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
bencasey

I have one and it's a good one with Annette O'Toole and Tim Matheson. My friend taped a lot of them when they aired. Not a sitcom so doesn't really belong here.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
I have one and it's a good one with Annette O'Toole and Tim Matheson. My friend taped a lot of them when they aired. Not a sitcom so doesn't really belong here.
well, it is still short lived so I don't see anything wrong with it being here. Well I am glad to see some of it might be floating around.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
tvfan0101
Forum Regular

I have been trying to put together an episode guide for this series and it is quite tricky. TV.com and the IMDb have some episode titles and airdates but many of them do not match up with the listings I found in The New York Times and The Hartford Courant. IMDb says there were thirteen episodes but unless one of the episodes listed in the aforementioned newspapers was pre-empted, there were fourteen. The New York Times does list Monte Markham as a guest in two episodes, which could mean there was a pre-emption.

I have to wonder if being able to check what I have found against TV Guide would be helpful or even more confusing. Too bad I no longer have access to the TV Guide collection I used to use all the time.
tvfan0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvobscurities
I have been trying to put together an episode guide for this series and it is quite tricky. TV.com and the IMDb have some episode titles and airdates but many of them do not match up with the listings I found in The New York Times and The Hartford Courant. IMDb says there were thirteen episodes but unless one of the episodes listed in the aforementioned newspapers was pre-empted, there were fourteen. The New York Times does list Monte Markham as a guest in two episodes, which could mean there was a pre-emption.

I have to wonder if being able to check what I have found against TV Guide would be helpful or even more confusing. Too bad I no longer have access to the TV Guide collection I used to use all the time.
well good luck on that. I will let you know if I find any info.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
ajm1972
Forum Regular

I'll look thru some of my notes I wrote down this summer when I was looking thru old beta tapes I came across at least two episodes of the shows via NBC promos, I can check the airdates that match up with what was shown at the time and such.

Aj
ajm1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
fgdickinson
First Time Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey

Hi, I would like to have a copy of a disc if possible, It's hard to find anyone selling the episodes. Can I buy the copies or the one that you own?
fgdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
bencasey

IMDB lists 14 episodes. I have a Universal syndication book at home and I'll check in their but 14 sounds about right. Too bad it was on just a little before home taping was common, although Beta was around, just no VHS.

I checked and Universal lists it as 16 episodes.

Last edited by bencasey; 04-26-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #10
bencasey

It's actually 14 episodes but 16 hours. When the show aired originally, there were 2 2-hour episodes, thus accounting for the discrepancy between hours and number of shows. I imagine for syndication they count the 2 hour shows as 2 episodes each.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Du Mont
Forum Regular

Thumbs up 'What Ever Happended to the Class of '65?', NBC 1977-78

'What Ever Happended to the Class of '65?' was one of NBC's more adventurous series, a dramatic anthology that pushed the envelope of the era in terms of presenting mature, adult-themed stories.

'What Ever Happended to the Class of '65?' was a mid-season replacement for 'Rosetti & Ryan' in December 1977, and it got decent ratings (for NBC at the time), averaging 17.6HH and ranking in 50th place for the season, which was a 33% improvement over 'Rosetti & Ryan's 13.2HH average (98th ranked).

Perhaps in anticipation of the coming of Mr. Fred Silverman (who went from ABC to NBC in June 1978), in the 1978 spring upfront Mr. Paul Klein had cleaned house at Peacock, letting go several highly rated series that all had differing demo challenges (too rural, too old-skewing, etc.):
  • 'The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams' 18.0HH average;
  • 'What Ever Happended to the Class of '65?' 17.6HH average;
  • 'Black Sheep Squadron' 17.3HH average;
  • 'The Bionic Woman' 16.9HH average (the pick-up of the cancelled ABC spin-off from 'The Six Million Dollar Man' lasted only one season on NBC...there is no way this series would have survived under Mr. Fred Silverman who had cancelled it on ABC the previous year);
  • 'Richie Brockelman, Private Eye' 16.9HH average (a 'Rockford Files' spinoff).
Series that rated below these series that got renewed included 'Wonderful WOrld of Disney' and 'CHiPS'. Other high-profile and quality noteworthy NBC cancellations that season included 'NBC Saturday Night at the Movies', 'Police Woman', 'CPO Sharkey', 'Oregon Trail', 'Quark', 'The Man From Atlantis', 'James at 16', 'The Richard Pryor Show' and 'Sandford Arms'.

Ironically, Mr. Silverman probably could have used 'What Ever Happended to the Class of '65?' in his 1978-79 sked, at least as a mid-seasoner. His fall sked that he inherited from Mr. Paul Klein was overloaded with movie-miniseries-specials in place of series, with four consecutive nights of 'Big Event' / 'NBC Night at the Movies' programming (Sunday to Wednesday). When NBC ran out of highly promotable theatricals, made-fors, miniseries and specials (by the end of the November Sweep as I remember), those nights started to languish against the hit series that were flourishing on the competing networks.

I do hope someone brings this anthology back to life as a DVD (or perhaps a 2010-11 reboot). I saw only a few episodes, and I remember it as one of the more ingenious concepts and well-executed series of the late '70s era.
Du Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
browneyes106

My aunt told me about this show and I remember reading about it on the old jumptheshark site.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
RickyRick
Occasional Poster

Hi BenCasey:
I am a huge fan of What Really Happened To The Class of '65 and remember watching it as a high school teen. I would LOVE to see any episodes you might have recorded. I would be willing to pay for any you have on DVD.
Please email me directly at Go4itIL@aol.com. Thanks!
RickyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #14
sfhdweb
Banned
Banned!!
First Time Poster

I have never seen this drama ..
sfhdweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #15
bencasey

I've been watching these recently. Good show but loaded with popular music. You can be assured this show will never come out on DVD. Would love to find the few I'm missing.