Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Dislimb
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Default The Orange Sock Murders

I was watching Heather's compilation DVD last night and this one seemed to jump out at me more than it had before. Were there ever any other suspects in this case besides the husband or was this case ever solved? Personally, I don't think the husband had anything to do with it. It was such a small town that I don't find it hard to believe that he picked up the other woman when she was hitchhiking and gave her his business card. They even said that the "local" bar was a 30 minute drive away and everyone around there hitched rides now and then. This is just a weird case.

Last edited by Dislimb; 09-17-2006 at 03:38 AM.
Dislimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Kane

I know that the segment has a short update mentioning that Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer's husband was no longer considered a suspect, and that the detectives were looking into other things. Although it didn't elaborate, the update appeared to imply that there other people of interest.

A serial killer named Thomas Luther has been considered a possible suspect in the murders of Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer and Annette Kay Schnee. I don't think he's been ruled out, but as far as I know, there is not enough evidence to link him to either murder. But Thomas Luther isn't going anywhere; he's incarcerated for murders he committed during the 1990s.

A book has been written about him: "Monster", by Steve Jackson.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Dislimb
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, Kane. Man, you always seem to come through when asked about these old cases. I never saw the update before, but I'm glad they don't think the husband had anything to do with it. He just seemed like a straight up, laid back guy. Like the kind of cat you'd sit on the porch and drink a few tall boys with, not the type of dude to kill his wife and then some random broad for no reason.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
crystaldawn

I didn't realize there was an update that said that. I never thought her husband was responsible either. I read a book months back that profiled some unsolved crimes and Annette and Bobbi's murders were in there. They made it sound like Bobbi's husband's brother was the one trying to implicate him. They made mention that Bobbi's husband thinks his brother had a thing for his wife and thats why he was doing it.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislimb
Thanks for the info, Kane. Man, you always seem to come through when asked about these old cases.
Well, not literally always, but I admittedly come through very often. Nevertheless, thank you for the compliment.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Dislimb
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
They made mention that Bobbi's husband thinks his brother had a thing for his wife and thats why he was doing it.
The plot thickens! Maybe the brother had something to do with it. Perhaps his jealousy got the best of him and he snapped like a rubber band. Then again, why would the brother kill the other girl? Some of these cases just seem like they can never be solved.

Last edited by Dislimb; 09-17-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
wiseguy182

I didn't think it was the husband either. It just seems more likely that it was some stranger who murdered two women he probably didn't know than it would be a guy murdering his wife and somebody else he knew only vaguely. In other words, they could come up with a motive for Bobbi Jo's husband to kill his wife, but what would his motive be for Annette? One thing that jumped out about me in this case was that it was mentioned that hitchhiking was very common in this town at the time. I think somebody driving through the town picked up on that, and unfortunately took advantage of people's kindness and trust, twice.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Beetlejuice69
Man With The Plan
Frequent Poster

Henry Lee Lucas was convicted and sentenced to death (later reduced to life, now dead) for the murder of an "Orange Socks". Same one you're talking about?

Beetlejuice69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlejuice69
Henry Lee Lucas was convicted and sentenced to death (later reduced to life, now dead) for the murder of an "Orange Socks". Same one you're talking about?

That's what I last heard. Henry Lee Lucas is a supposed serial killer, who was either tied to the orange socks murder or convicted, don't remember. Is this the same murder or is there another murder called the orange socks murder?

as for the brother being a possible suspect, maybe he killed the other woman to throw the detectives off the trail. Kinda like when those people who put poison in many pill bottles...they wanted several people to get sick, maybe die, so the finger couldn't be pointed at them for killing a family member.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlejuice69
No, that's a different case. The "Orange Socks" case for which Lucas was charged was in Texas; the woman was found dead in October 1979 (sadly, she has never been identified). The murders of Bobbie Jo and Annette occurred in Colorado in 1982.

The "Orange Socks" cases in Colorado are not connected to the Texas one. Well, maybe CINO (Connected In Name Only).
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Beetlejuice69
Man With The Plan
Frequent Poster

I saw a pair of orange socks at SEARS last week and it reminded me of "Orange Socks".

Beetlejuice69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
dynoguy88

Default reply

IMO, this segment was the scariest one Unsolved Mysteries ever featured.

Yes, Thomas Luther has long since been considered a suspect in these murders. Unsolved Mysteries never mentioned him but I guess they wanted to keep it that way at the time. I've read the book "Monster" and here are some interesting facts concerning Luther and Oberholtzer/Schnee murders. -

*Both Bobbie and Annette matched the physical descriptions of ALL of Luther's other victims - Attractive, petite females with shoulder length hair.

*Annette's body wasn't found until 6 months after her murder. While Luther was in jail for the assault on a girl named Mary Brown (a woman hitch hiker he attacked a month after the Schnee/Oberhotlzer murders) he saw a news segment showing Annette's picture - he stared at the picture with this awful glare and said, "They'll never find that b*tch."

*Also while he was in jail for the assualt on Mary Brown, Luther bragged to other inmates that he had killed two other women out in the woods.

*Luther's live in girlfriend stated that he was gone the entire evening of the murders and didn't come home until very late that night.

*Luther called off of work the day before and the day after the murders but he told police that he worked both days.

Back in 1982, EVERYONE in that area (women AND men) hitchhiked. Everyone got to know each other. Murders were extremely rare for that area and time period. The murders threw Summit County, and particularly Breckenridge, into a panic.

Here is a passage from the book -

Breckenridge was still the sort of town where people didn't bother to lock their doors. Anybody who had lived there more than a couple of months knew everybody else, and they watched out for each other. Even strangers were greeted warmly, so long as they didn't act too much like the monied snobs in Vail or Aspen.

The only violent crime was apt to be the heat of passion sort of thing - friends who got in an argument after having a little too much to drink and took a few swings. A night in the pokey and they were friends again by morning. There was the occasional robbery of a gas station or conveniance store, usually by some stranger passing through. But people in these parts couldn't remember the last time there'd been a murder so near Breckenridge until Bobby Jo Oberholtzer (and eventually Annette Schnee).

The dissappearence and murders of the two women changed the town, forever. It would never again be as innocent and trusting. Residents went out and bought guns for protection, something nobody would have imagined before the murders.

The difference in the atmosphere seems pretty different than before. Here is another passage taken from the book that also makes Luther look pretty guilty -

Detectives Richard Eaton and Charlie McCormick keep Luther on the short lists of suspects and follow each lead as it appears. They have tried to trace a report that an airline stewardess in California, who sold Luther the truck he was driving in 1982 when he assaulted Mary Brown, was later found beaten to death. But so far, it remains a rumor.

Initially, Eaton was troubled that Bobby and Annette were executed with a gun, while Luther attacked his other known victims with a hammer and his hands. But then Luther was convicted of shooting Cher Elder to death in 1993.

Breckenridge is no longer a stranger to murders and other violent crime. It keeps Eaton too busy to devote much time to the murders of Bobby and Annette. But he still pulls over whenever he reaches the summit of Hoosier Pass and also pauses by the small white cross beside a stream if other matters take him to Alma. "No one stops being a suspect until I got the guy who did it," he says.

Although they're not his cases and he keeps a discreet distance, Richardson remains convinced that Oberholtzer and Schnee are Luther's work. He points out that the murders, rare for the area back then, stopped when Luther was arrested.

There are other factors that continue to point the finger at Luther for the murders. He wasn't working the day of or after the murders yet he told investigators that he was. He drove a truck similar to the truck the hitchhiking Breckenridge couple insisted having seen Bobby in the night she hitched a ride home. And by his own accounts, he had access to several guns.

Here is a good link involving the case. It's got plenty of details, pictures, maps and even has pictures of the women's belongings including the orange socks.....

http://www.Rockymountaincoldcase.com
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
Dislimb
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Wow, just wow. That's an excellent site! Thanks for the info!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
dynoguy88

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislimb
Wow, just wow. That's an excellent site! Thanks for the info!
Yes, it is a very good site. And I didn't notice until now the updated link (posted just last week) about the new TV program "Sensing Murder" on the Discovery Channel where this case will be featured later this year. We'll have to keep our heads up. Wouldn't want to miss it.

http://parkbull.com/newsextra/filmin...ase050706.html
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
KKT22603
First Time Poster

I'm researching the 'Orange Socks' case in Texas. Anyone have any info on that, or know where I might find some info on it? I'm looking everywhere; not much investigation done on it, especially on trying to ID the woman. Anyone?
KKT22603 is offline   Reply With Quote