Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 25, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Fall Lineup Looking to Include Fewer Sitcoms; Head of the Class Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Will HBO Max Work?; ABC Announces 2020-21 Season Programming
Freeform Announces 2020-21 Slate; Fox Brings Back Last Man Standing, Prodigal Son and The Resident for 2021
Summer of Me Returns June 1 on MeTV; FXX Orders More Dave
CBS Upfront 2020-21: Fall 2020 Schedule; Remembering Ken Osmond of Leave it to Beaver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #16
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
Supporting characters who suddenly became the lead after the "star" leaves:

I'll give this a shot, 8 Simple Rules might fit this category. Katey Sagal was actually a costar, but the show was focused on John Ritter's character, with his untimely passing she took over as the lead character.
8 Simple Rules didn't last that long after John Ritter passed away, so it's hard to say Katey Sagal took much lead, although she was the sole parent. It also was a tragic circumstance and the show was too tied to John Ritter. They did add James Garner and David Spade, but the series was moved and cancelled in a season.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 AM   #17
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Sara Gilbert (Darlene) replacing Roseanne Barr (Roseanne).

Although technically it's a new show or spinoff, The Conners. Just that it's hard to say it's a spinoff or new show because 90% of the show is the old show: the house, the entire rest of the family (cast), premise of the show, opening theme and pretty much everything else that went with the old show. Last episode I saw of The Conners, an old clip of Darlene and David as teenagers was shown (from Roseanne).
Old 10-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
8 Simple Rules didn't last that long after John Ritter passed away, so it's hard to say Katey Sagal took much lead, although she was the sole parent. It also was a tragic circumstance and the show was too tied to John Ritter. They did add James Garner and David Spade, but the series was moved and cancelled in a season.
Katey Sagal was definitely the lead after John Ritter died. And there are more episodes without him (45) than with him (31), so it still lasted awhile before being cancelled.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #19
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Sara Gilbert (Darlene) replacing Roseanne Barr (Roseanne).

Although technically it's a new show or spinoff, The Conners. Just that it's hard to say it's a spinoff or new show because 90% of the show is the old show: the house, the entire rest of the family (cast), premise of the show, opening theme and pretty much everything else that went with the old show. Last episode I saw of The Conners, an old clip of Darlene and David as teenagers was shown (from Roseanne).
I always assumed that John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf were the defacto leads with Roseanne now out of the picture. Maybe because they were the "adults" of the household now.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
I always assumed that John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf were the defacto leads with Roseanne now out of the picture. Maybe because they were the "adults" of the household now.
It's much more Darlene as the central person.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #21
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
Katey Sagal was definitely the lead after John Ritter died. And there are more episodes without him (45) than with him (31), so it still lasted awhile before being cancelled.
Lasted awhile I disagree. I think 3 seasons of a series altogether, with just 1 full season, that being the season it got canceled, without Ritter is very limited. It was a tragic circumstance and the sadness of the real life death of John Ritter probably left little from ABC to continue the show with Katey Sagal truly as the lead in single parent type sitcom. It got the Friday night death slot and rumors circulated of cancellation after Ritter's death. The show introduced two big names (James Garner, David Spade) for in-fill of a male adult role in the house, putting less lead on Katey Sagal.

Fonzie (Happy Days), Whitley (A Different World), Kelly (Bev. Hills 90210) are stronger examples.

Last edited by favoriteshow; 11-01-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #22
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

I'd add Urkel on Family Matters even though there was no star that left while he became big on the show. There was daughter Judy, Jo Marie Payton in the very last season although she wanted to leave the show earlier but couldn't because of contract, and Telma Hopkins in the middle for awhile. But Urkel became indispensable to Family Matters writing, while the rest of the family had storylines around his character.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:42 PM   #23
Duster76
Forum Regular

Lasted awhile I disagree. I think 3 seasons of a series altogether, with just 1 full season, that being the season it got canceled, without Ritter is very limited. It was a tragic circumstance and the sadness of the real life death of John Ritter probably left little from ABC to continue the show with Katey Sagal truly as the lead in single parent type sitcom. It got the Friday night death slot and rumors circulated of cancellation after Ritter's death. The show introduced two big names (James Garner, David Spade) for in-fill of a male adult role in the house, putting less lead on Katey Sagal.

Fonzie (Happy Days), Whitley (A Different World), Kelly (Bev. Hills 90210) are stronger examples.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about! Let's start at the beginning here's the title of the thread:

Supporting characters who suddenly became the lead after the "star" leaves

Where is there any reference in this title to the length of time the series remained on the air after the star left? You're making things up.

An additional point, Fonzie absolutely, positively is not a strong example. Fonzie did not become the lead character after Ron Howard (Richie being the original lead character) left the series. Howard left the series after the seventh season, Fonzie had been the lead character for years, there's no question about that. Actually another thread could be started naming series where the original lead character gives way to a new lead character (the hook being that the original lead character remained on the series).
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:47 AM   #24
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
I don't agree with some of these. For example, no one was really the "star" of ER. It was a solid ensemble show with all the major characters/actors each getting their turn in the spotlight.

Jimmy Walker and Henry Walker were breakout stars, but I don't think they ever became the "leads" in the sense that you're talking about. No one thinks of Good Times becoming "The Jimmy Walker/JJ Show" once John Amos left or Happy Days becoming "The Henry Winkler/Fonz Show" once Ron Howard left.
Well to put things into some perspective:
Quote:
17. Abby Lockhart (Maura Tierney)

(Seasons 6-14, Guest Star in Season 15) Starting out as a nurse and rising to senior ER doctor, Abby was the third longest-running character on the show and the de facto lead once Carter left. For her troubles she was saddled with the heaviest baggage of anyone on ER, from her bipolar mother (Sally Field) to struggles with alcoholism to being assaulted by her neighbor and kidnapped by gang members. Abby's drama often overwhelmed her core character, always played with as much dignity and strength as Tierney could muster.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #25
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Another ER example is Julianna Margulies overtaking Sherri Springfield as the female lead after about the first two seasons after Springfeld suddenly quit. The story goes that After Julianna won an Emmy (in the supporting category) she was threatening to quit ER. The reason was because she really didn't have a storyline outside of being reduced to walking the halls and shouting out medical terms. But then Springfeld as I said abruptly left, which wound up allowing Julianna to receive more screen time.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #26
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
It was a tragic circumstance and the sadness of the real life death of John Ritter probably left little from ABC to continue the show with Katey Sagal truly as the lead in single parent type sitcom. It got the Friday night death slot
Ratings were definitely not the reason 8 Simple Rules was canceled. It was doing better than other shows on Friday night that got renewed that year. I think you are right John Ritter's death probably made ABC's decision to cancel which isn't fair. The cast and writers still did very well keeping it an entertaining show. I would have rather seen 8 Simple Rules go on than Hope & Faith or Less Than Perfect.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #27
howilu

On Petticoat Junction, when Bea Benaderet passed away from lung cancer in 1968, Edgar Buchanan became the star and June Lockhart was added as Dr. Janet Craig following the cancellation of Lost in Space. The changes didn't help and Petticoat Junction was gone in 1970, replaced by the sitcom that would be one of the first classics of the 70s, The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
howilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #28
tvfan25
Forum Regular

They were both the main stars, but after Shirley left, Laverne became the main star.
tvfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #29
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
What are you talking about! Let's start at the beginning here's the title of the thread:

Supporting characters who suddenly became the lead after the "star" leaves

Where is there any reference in this title to the length of time the series remained on the air after the star left? You're making things up.

An additional point, Fonzie absolutely, positively is not a strong example. Fonzie did not become the lead character after Ron Howard (Richie being the original lead character) left the series. Howard left the series after the seventh season, Fonzie had been the lead character for years, there's no question about that. Actually another thread could be started naming series where the original lead character gives way to a new lead character (the hook being that the original lead character remained on the series).
Go re-read my comment:

You chose to skip over my comment, so let me repeat it again: ABC didn't provide much lead for Katey Sagal, if it introduced James Garner and David Spade in the cast. And the show got cancelled pretty quickly.

ABC didn't want to do a single mom raising her kids show. Add some other relative adults living in the house, and those who are famous actors too?

Happy Days lasted many years with Fonz as lead after Rich left. Of course, duration and actual lead matters.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #30
Heenan Fan

Emma Kenney as Debs became the lead female character on shameless this season after Emmy Rossum as Fiona left the show.
Attached Images

OK, you hot a pencil? I want 20 pounds, no make that 40 pounds of your best ribs, THE JUMBOS! And I want some BBQ sauce...a GALLON!

I'm having a party. My mother's out on parole." - Hawkeye
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote