Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Sitcoms in 2020; Peacock Streaming Services Programming Update
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 2 - American Dad! 2 Season Renewal, Tacoma FD Season 2 Premiere Date
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 1 - Comedy Central, Amazon, Paramount Network and More!
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Showtime and Pop; Will Smith & Martin Lawrence Talk Hit Sitcoms
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: NBC and CBS Includes The Rock Comedy at NBC and The Price Is Right at Night on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 13, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Saved by the Bell Reboot Gets More of Original Cast; ABC Expanding Game Show Empire


New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One

11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (Blu-ray)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Agent 13
Member
Senior Member
 
Agent 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 02, 2003
Location: Good ol' USA
Posts: 1,487
Question Newbie send first, and then what?

I don't know if I've ever seen this issue addressed, but I would like to see comments on it. I would hope that this wouldn't go into another flaming war because this needs to be ironed out. IMHO

My question is:

Aside from the issue of not trading for large sets on a first trade...

What good is it to have someone send first and they send trash, and then you end up sending what you promised despite the fact that you didn't get the quality you were promised? (I'm not referring to unintentional gauging of quality.)

When you have someone else send first, aren't you responsible to send out your end of the deal if you get what you were promised? If you don't get what you were promised, then are you ultimately responsible to send what you agreed upon?

If this were the case, anyone could purposely send off trash, receiving pristine shows and not be responsible. If they sent, is that the end of their responsibility? (I think not.)

I think that there should be some sort of set standard about this type of thing, rather just going by what kind of mood a person is in at the time or what type of character they happen to have as a person.

(I'm not good at wording things, but I try.)

Last edited by Agent 13; 10-13-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Agent 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Ahmed
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 24, 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 33
Default

Thats a risk of trading, people's grades are subjective plus they lie sometimes too. If their quality is an unknown trade 1 disc.
Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Dragonbear
balibt eisl kuschn
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 24, 2005
Posts: 223
Default

Good question.

I was thinking last night that maybe we could come up with some type of definitive idea of quality and rating quality. Granted there would be a lot
of debate about the 8's to the 9's. but it's one of those things that
what you would say is a 8 i'd maybe say is a 9.

It might help with unconfusing people who are trading unintentional bad
quality sets and then people feeling they got screwed over.

ideas? Or does it suck
Dragonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular
 
RedWhine56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2005
Location: In the "Secret Room" with the cronies!
Posts: 743
Default

One thing I often do is ask what the quality of the shows are. Obviously, their definition of good may differ from mine, but I think if someone told me something was good quality & it turned out to be total crap, I'd tell them this (in a nice way) and send their discs back to them & cancel the trade. Now, this doesn't mean I wouldn't trade for a poor to good show, KNOWING it was poor to good, if I really wanted the show & hadn't seen a better quality copy offered elsewhere. But IMO, if you outline the specifics (hours & shows/eps each person is to send as well as the quality, then you receive total crap, IMO, they did not meet their end of the bargain & you are not obligated to send your side. (But if they're bad enough to call off the trade, I'd return the discs.)

Additionally, I know many (most?) people here use a scale of 1-10 to rank shows. It's really hard for me to assign quality that way - should this be a 7.5 or an 8??? (puzzled look) Or maybe a 7???? (getting headache) So I pretty much use 4 levels. Poor, good, very good & excellent (which I almost NEVER assign, but I do have a couple!) Sometimes I'll combine them like "X is poor to good" if it's hard for me to decide. I also note if the episode is incomplete or missing opening and/or closing credits.
RedWhine56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13
I don't know if I've ever seen this issue addressed, but I would like to see comments on it. I would hope that this wouldn't go into another flaming war because this needs to be ironed out. IMHO

My question is:

Aside from the issue of not trading for large sets on a first trade...

What good is it to have someone send first and they send trash, and then you end up sending what you promised despite the fact that you didn't get the quality you were promised? (I'm not referring to unintentional gauging of quality.)

When you have someone else send first, aren't you responsible to send out your end of the deal if you get what you were promised? If you don't get what you were promised, then are you ultimately responsible to send what you agreed upon?

If this were the case, anyone could purposely send off trash, receiving pristine shows and not be responsible. If they sent, is that the end of their responsibility? (I think not.)

I think that there should be some sort of set standard about this type of thing, rather just going by what kind of mood a person is in at the time or what type of character they happen to have as a person.

(I'm not good at wording things, but I try.)


If it's someone who hasn;t established themselves as a good trader and the stuff they sent you is crap, you don;t send anything. If i receive something that is unwatchable, there is no way in hell I'm going to the Post Office to stand in line and send them something that's watchable-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular
 
RedWhine56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2005
Location: In the "Secret Room" with the cronies!
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
there is no way in hell I'm going to the Post Office to stand in line
I didn't know people still did that..
RedWhine56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhine56
I didn't know people still did that..

Why do you have to be a buttcrack?-lol You know damm well what I mean. Why would I go to the post office to mail someone a tape that has good quality if i got back sh*tty quality?
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
Agent 13
Member
Senior Member
 
Agent 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 02, 2003
Location: Good ol' USA
Posts: 1,487
Oh No

She wasn't slamming you. You misunderstood her utterly and completely.

She meant that she didn't know people still visited the post office, versus shipping directly from home.
Agent 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13
She wasn't slamming you. You misunderstood her utterly and completely.

She meant that she didn't know people still visited the post office, versus shipping directly from home. [IMG]http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/images/smilie
s/ohno.gif[/IMG]

Ok then I apologize, I misunderstood. I guess someone would have to explain to me how to ship packages without going to the post office.-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular
 
RedWhine56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2005
Location: In the "Secret Room" with the cronies!
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
Ok then I apologize, I misunderstood. I guess someone would have to explain to me how to ship packages without going to the post office.-lol
Easy. Click N Ship at USPS.com to print the label (Priority mail) or an accurate scale & the 'calculate postage' sheet you can print out on USPS.com & stamps of various denominations (purchased through the mail, too) for First Class. Then I put the package(s) in my mailbox for the postman to pick up. On the few occasions (for me) when I have a package that won't fit or more packages than will fit, I still do my own postage & then drop off the packages (w/o having to wait in line - because there's ALWAYS a line at my local PO) at either the post office or a UPS store. Sure beats taking a number, IMO.
RedWhine56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
loren
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1,490
Default

this is my policy

when i deal with an unkown person

they need to send first

we agree on a quality and a certain amount of items

if that isnt in the package

ill return it at their expense

pure and simple


if for example half of it is the way it sould be, then ill return the other half,and my portion of the trade for that half

not the entire thing


if its not what was agreed on, then theres no way im going to send them the entire payment
loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!
Senior Member
 
Lamont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 28, 2005
Location: Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
Posts: 5,075
Default sometimes

Sometimes people do disagree as I am sure all of us know. one mans 8 is another mans 7 of 10... it happens. And I think most of us are understanding of that and after a few trades we learn how the other grades. BUT there are those out there who know stuff is bad and lie up front and tell u it is better and send it to you, and then jump all over you if u are not willing to trade for it. That is what irks me.

And another thing that is big time wrong, is people who claim a series is a complete series--- AND THEY KNOW THAT IT IS INCOMPLETE!
Now, Again, that happens to the best of us, I won't name names, but I know we all have passed a set to another believing it was complete and it turns out that it is short an episode or 2... IT IS EASY TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN especially with big sets! I try to check new sets against an episode guide, if I am not sure of the trader! BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE, I HAVE DEALT WITH RECENTLY who tell me a set is complete and it ends up missing like 10-20 episodes! And it turns out later that the person KNEW BEFORE HAND and just said, OH WELL..... when that happens, I think the person should not have to follow through on the trade unless the other party repalces the bad set FIRST!

Again, we all make mistakes and I have been wrong too.... BUT some traders INTENTIONALLY try to pull the wool over our eyes and then get mad at us when we are not willing to take it!

www.freewebs.com/nmboye

Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
wheezer210
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 03, 2004
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont
Sometimes people do disagree as I am sure all of us know. one mans 8 is another mans 7 of 10... it happens. And I think most of us are understanding of that and after a few trades we learn how the other grades. BUT there are those out there who know stuff is bad and lie up front and tell u it is better and send it to you, and then jump all over you if u are not willing to trade for it. That is what irks me.

And another thing that is big time wrong, is people who claim a series is a complete series--- AND THEY KNOW THAT IT IS INCOMPLETE!
Now, Again, that happens to the best of us, I won't name names, but I know we all have passed a set to another believing it was complete and it turns out that it is short an episode or 2... IT IS EASY TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN especially with big sets! I try to check new sets against an episode guide, if I am not sure of the trader! BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE, I HAVE DEALT WITH RECENTLY who tell me a set is complete and it ends up missing like 10-20 episodes! And it turns out later that the person KNEW BEFORE HAND and just said, OH WELL..... when that happens, I think the person should not have to follow through on the trade unless the other party repalces the bad set FIRST!

Again, we all make mistakes and I have been wrong too.... BUT some traders INTENTIONALLY try to pull the wool over our eyes and then get mad at us when we are not willing to take it!

www.freewebs.com/nmboye

I let someone know what I want then ask for samples. Even if I know you or not...it's nothing personal but I am a hard grader, someone elses 8 maybe my 6.5-7 OR my 8 maybe someone elses 7-7.5 it's all in the eye of the beholder. What is a few minutes and .60 in postage to ensure you are getting something of equal quality?
wheezer210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
loren
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1,490
Default

samples

once again that makes very little warranty of quality, much like screen shots

first the person is going to send you the best disc there is

every set has a range of quality, unless its from a digital source

so thats mostly a waste

screen shots

i have seen a lot of screen shots that are from else where

recently there was one on this very site, that i am 100% sure wasnt from the set advertised

once again meaning very little in quality warranty


also on samples, i dont play that sending samples for free

i get gobs of requests for free samples

probably more than 50 from the same person

its peoples way to get some thing for free in a majority of cases

my very favorites are the ones like--can you send me a sample of hawaii 5-0 episode number 218 where ...........

its nice to think that sending a sample or a screen shot will be of help, but in actaul bottom line, it means very little
loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
Agent 13
Member
Senior Member
 
Agent 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 02, 2003
Location: Good ol' USA
Posts: 1,487
Exclamation

We shouldn't have to be told to "send what you promised anyway" because then what is the good of having "newbies send first"?

What bothers me most is that those that are staunch "no way am I gonna send" are looked upon as though they're ruthless or jerks, when the fact of the matter is that there should be some sort of standard for when you receive items that you were told would be otherwise.

(i.e. Over the years I've met some really cocky cops, but that doesn't mean they're in the wrong. They just come across badly.)

Anyone up to writing up the standard and hitting up the moderators for adding it to the Trading Post's policy?
Agent 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.