Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Joey Bishop Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Joey Bishop Show Photo Gallery

The Joey Bishop Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Joey Bishop Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Joey Bishop Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
retroTVfan4ever

Default RTV is doing a better job airing The Joey Bishop Show than Antenna TV does

RTV (RetroTV) is doing a better job with The Joey Bishop Show. While the episodes are edited, there are fewer edits compared to what Antenna TV does with these shows. In fact, the RTV airings seem pretty close to uncut, and there are no credit crunches either. The episode I saw today, the 3rd season episode with Vic Damone, the entire opening scene was there, they also showed the ending/tag scene. And no credit crunch. They did edit out the beginning part of the next scene right after the opening credits, but that's the only edit that I noticed.

I don't know about everyone else, but the RTV station in my area is telecast in widescreen. Not good because I hate widescreen. If I was getting RTV in fullscreen, I would probably consider recording these RTV airings and replace my Antenna TV recordings because RTV is doing a better job.

Antenna TV should take a cue from RTV and air the episodes the way RTV does, but I doubt they will do that.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Forum Veteran

How is the show in terms of quality? I watched an episode of The Joey Bishop Show on RTV and it was very grainy and lines throughout the entire screen.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
How is the show in terms of quality? I watched an episode of The Joey Bishop Show on RTV and it was very grainy and lines throughout the entire screen.
RTV ran the Vic Damone episode today and it looked OK to me. Certainly not restored, colors had a faded look and overall had a reddish tint, but I'm not usually fussy about that sort of stuff, I just want to see uncut episodes or as close to uncut as possible.

RTV is showing the ending/tag scenes of the episodes, while Antenna cuts those out. Also, RTV doesn't do the credit crunch. Basically, RTV's airings of the episodes are edited differently when compared to Antenna TV. There are scenes shown on RTV that are missing on Antenna TV, and vice versa.

Aside from the widescreen telecasting, another reason I don't like to record stuff from RTV is because I sometimes have reception problems with that channel. Picture tends to pixillate and the video is sometimes jumpy. RTV is a lower budgeted channel compared to Antenna TV, so maybe they transmit a weaker signal which causes the reception problems.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

How does what RTV shows (edit-wise) compare to the DVD set?

Also, IMO widescreen isn't nearly as bad as those black bars on each side.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
How does what RTV shows (edit-wise) compare to the DVD set?
The DVD set that came out has the same edited episodes that Antenna TV is showing.

The RTV airings are edited too, but they are edited differently. Overall, I think RTV shows a little more of the episodes than Antenna TV does.

In the Vic Damone episode RTV ran today, they cut a little bit off from the next scene right after the opening credits, scene was missing the first few lines of dialog. After the opening credits, they ran a few commercials and when the commercials were over, the episode resumed but the scene was already in progress, RTV trimmed off the first few lines of dialog. But aside from that, I didn't notice any other obvious edits, everything else seemed to be there, including the ending/tag scene. Antenna TV cuts the tag scenes, they don't show them.

I'll watch tomorrow mornings episode on RTV and see what that one looks like.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Svenfan1234
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
The DVD set that came out has the same edited episodes that Antenna TV is showing.

The RTV airings are edited too, but they are edited differently. Overall, I think RTV shows a little more of the episodes than Antenna TV does.

In the Vic Damone episode RTV ran today, they cut a little bit off from the next scene right after the opening credits, scene was missing the first few lines of dialog. After the opening credits, they ran a few commercials and when the commercials were over, the episode resumed but the scene was already in progress, RTV trimmed off the first few lines of dialog. But aside from that, I didn't notice any other obvious edits, everything else seemed to be there.

I'll watch tomorrow mornings episode and see what that one looks like.
I think RTV uses old PD prints but Antenna uses the licensed prints from SFM, edited by SFM. My theory anyway.
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
I think RTV uses old PD prints but Antenna uses the licensed prints from SFM, edited by SFM. My theory anyway.
I don't know what prints RTV is using, but in today's episode, the SFM logo appeared after the closing credits.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Svenfan1234
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I don't know what prints RTV is using, but in today's episode, the SFM logo appeared after the closing credits.
I don't know either, but RTV only (or mostly only) airs PD shows.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
I don't know either, but RTV only (or mostly only) airs PD shows.
SFM has uncut episodes of The Joey Bishop Show, but when they license the episodes to syndicated TV stations for airing, the stations themselves might be the ones doing the editing, maybe that's why two different edited versions of the episodes are being shown, Antenna TV's version and RTV's version.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
Svenfan1234
Forum Veteran

Quote:
SFM has uncut episodes of The Joey Bishop Show, but when they license the episodes to syndicated TV stations for airing, the stations themselves might be the ones doing the editing, maybe that's why two different edited versions of the episodes are being shown, Antenna TV's version and RTV's version.
I think SFM edited it for Antenna. Antenna doesn't do their own editing.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
I think SFM edited it for Antenna. Antenna doesn't do their own editing.
I would like to know why two different stations are airing different edited versions of the episodes. RTV airs scenes that Antenna TV cuts out, and vice versa. That is strange and I would like to know why that is happening.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

The fact that 2 different edited versions are being shown says that complete versions of all the episodes exist, IMO. I'd bet the RTV versions are old, possibly not in digital format, and don't include season 1.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
The fact that 2 different edited versions are being shown says that complete versions of all the episodes exist, IMO. I'd bet the RTV versions are old, possibly not in digital format, and don't include season 1.
I believe season 1 is exclusive to Antenna TV, they are the only station airing the season 1 shows.

The uncut episodes exist, which makes this complete series DVD set that came out all the more disappointing. SFM issued the set, they obviously don't care about releasing a good set with uncut episodes, they just want to make some fast easy money so they threw together a crap quality DVD set. Shame on them.

Today, RTV aired season 3's "Joey's Hideaway Cabin". A small portion of the episode was edited, but again, RTV showed more of this episode than Antenna TV does. RTV's airing had the entire opening segment, Antenna cuts all of it out except for the opening credits. RTV also aired the ending/tag scene while Antenna edits it out.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #14
Hazel Anyday

Wink Those Were The RTV Days

I used to get RTV about 5 years ago, but it was taken off here in my area, it was replaced with ME TV, which I really like. But I'd really like RTV & Me TV even more, esp. compared to the load of other crappy digital channels that are in my area. Anyone ever figure out what the heck is TBD? The weirdest and most useless digital channel ever. I can't even describe the oddities they show. I'd really like to see RTV again, it was thanks to them I was able to get Bachelor Father, Ozzie & Harriet, It Takes a Thief and Iron Horse. Yep, they were a pretty rinky dink channel with a lot of PD material (Beverly Hillbillies with the replacement opening theme!) but they did have quite a few really good shows that aren't seen elsewhere.

RTV, where are you!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #15
retroTVfan4ever

Today, RTV showed the 3rd season episode with Zsa Zsa Gabor. Not really one of the better episodes.

Tomorrow, RTV will probably show the episode with Phil Foster and Leo Durocher. That one is funny, it's a classic.

And on Thursday, RTV will probably air Joey The Comedian vs. Larry The Writer. That's another good one, very funny, especially the part where Joey gets pissed and fires everybody. LOL, it is hysterical.

The main benefit with these RTV airings is that they show the ending/tag scenes, and the end credits are shown intact, no credit crunches. The bad thing is that RTV telecasts in widescreen/letterbox, not good, not suitable for recording for collections in my opinion. But I watch these anyway to see scenes that aren't shown on Antenna TV.