Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Default Oliver was as crazy as everybody else.

How in the world could you buy a farmhouse in that tired behind condition and put your woman in it to live? He got had by a washed up country hick entrephenur. He let his vision blind him to everything else around him. I don't like that Mr. Haney was sheister that took advantage of Oliver but he deserved it. Come on! You're a big time, hot shot Park Ave attorney from NYC. That vision of the farm screwed with his common sense. Dude lost his mind. As a result, his poor wife got ditzier as time went on and he sentenced himself to dwell with nut jobs who frustrated him for the next six years. LOL. I love this show. I'm watching season one on hulu right now. If Eddie Albert was alive, I'd ask him what was going on in Oliver's mind? Green Acres really is the place to be.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Miss Lisa

Haha, I agree. In the beginning everyone else thought that he was the craziest of them all, which , he really might have been.

~♥~"No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it."~♥~
- Grace Slick

http://deviantrose112.posterous.com/
Miss Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Exactly! On Green Acres the residents were responding "The Haney Place?" Oliver was gulliable. Even on the parent show "Petticoat Junction" Kate Bradley's daughters were saying "The Haney Place?" Lisa said "Why do people keep saying that evertime we go somewhere?" LOL. Obviously, she hadn't seen the place yet. Crossing back over to Green Acres. Towards the end of the pilot, Lisa got a chance to see why everyone was talking about.

Mother Douglas was ready to take Lisa back to NY. Oliver did not go through legal routes to secure a good home. All the hicks though that he was crazy and got had. His wife became airheaded but still loveable. His longsuffering and drama was on him. No one else. He should have gutted that house and rebuilt. If I were Lisa, I would have went back with my mother n law to New York.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs up

How could you not go crazy when you had to climb up a pole to answer your phone, only to have it stop ringing when you reached the top? Or waiting around for Alf and Ralph to finish repairing your home? Or having Mr. Haney show up every time something breaks (at least once an episode)? THAT'S what made him so fun. I'd rank Eddie Albert up there with Bob Newhart, Hal Linden and Judd Hirsch among the finest "straight men" of the American sitcom.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

He went crazy the minute be bought the farm. (Pun intended) He got everything that was coming to him. I'm sorry but that man seriously lost his mind. He could have gotten something better. To take your glamourous wife to a place like that is just wrong. LOL.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
tiredmike59

By the way, where did Haney get all that crap he was always selling ? He always seemed to have what people were looking for.
tiredmike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I think he was going to donations stores. For example, in ep 3, he rented out a table to Mr. Douglas. Mrs. Bradley noticed that the table was the one she donated to the Salvation Army. Mr. Haney pulled a bathtub and sink from the house he sold to Douglas' and tried to sell them back to them. He borrows from and sells back, basically. Has anyone tried to sue this man?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Oliver was a lawyer - he could've easily taken Mr. Haney to court.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Listen to us. We sound like Solomon with these analysis. LOL.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Now that's scary.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Now that's scary.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Listen to us. We sound like Solomon with these analysis. LOL.
No, if you were doing that, you'd propose having Mignon or even Arnold cut in half
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz
No, if you were doing that, you'd propose having Mignon or even Arnold cut in half

Actually, I was referring to a board member who goes by that name. However, I got a chance to read about that story in the bible earlier this year and am laughing my butt off with your comment.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Frump

I think that's the joke it's usually thought of as Oliver being the only sane person living in an insane world, BUT Oliver was just as looney as the rest of them. I mean he did farm work in a suit and tie, after all lol
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Oliver is really taking a beating in this thread...!

In his defense, he seems to have bought the farm and tractor from Haney "sight-unseen," expecting everything to be in working order. It's not so much that he was crazy to buy it; the point is that he was overly optimistic that he could make everything work -- and people (including his own mother) knew it would be pretty much impossible.

When I make a mistake, I try to make the best of what's happened -- and that's what I think Oliver was doing. He should have cut his losses at some point, but then you have no series. A big mistake does not equal a crazy person. Look at Hank Kimball in the last few seasons -- he was certifiably insane. Oliver was pretty normal by comparison.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote