Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
MissFit29
Forum Regular

The actor who play George Owens made those scenes so heartbreaking. He was a good one.

The girl that played Laura Lee Burbank was good too. She sounded very mature.

I didn't like the Tammy Lynn Leppart actress. Her hair was really distracting to me. I didn't think the freak out scenes were that great, especially the one in the trailer.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Oh, I forgot one of the "best" - the reenactment update on the Kevin Poulsen case. Security!
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
atomicfizz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFit29
I didn't like the Tammy Lynn Leppart actress. Her hair was really distracting to me. I didn't think the freak out scenes were that great, especially the one in the trailer.
I know. I never understood that hair. They couldn't find an actress with long blond hair?
atomicfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

I thought the Maria Armstrong actress was pretty good.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
dynoguy88

The girl who played Colleen Ritter was outstanding. Especially during the attack scenes. I've watched horror movies before that showed girls who didn't scream half as convincingly as her.

The actress playing Elizabeth Ortiz...heh...this one was always a head scratcher for me. At first, I thought the actress playing her was just GOD awful. Especially during the "He's got Jonathan!" parts. But then once I thought about it, Elizabeth was not the brightest woman in the world. How she thought she could give her husband a poison milkshake and not think anyone would trace it back to her combined with the fact that she tried to convince her family that her son had just been kidnapped even though they already knew he was staying with her mother.. it might not have been bad acting after all. The actress playing her might have just done a great job of portraying an incredibly stupid woman, in which case she did a good job.

So with that one, it's take your pick.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
Hambone2421

I think the acting done in the Gilbert Ortiz and the Sammy Wheeler segments was horrible.

Also, the actor who played Don Dixon in the reenactment was terrible, but then again, he was portraying Don Dixon so we may have to give him a pass.

I thought the actors involved in the Circleville segment did a great job as did the actors in the Cindy James segment.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
Alvin Karpis
"Hank Queen"
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I think the acting done in the Gilbert Ortiz and the Sammy Wheeler segments was horrible.
I agree on the Gilbert Ortiz segment
Alvin Karpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

Bad acting:
  • I know I’ve mentioned a bunch but the absolute worst acting in the entirety of UM has got to be one of two British Airmen daring each other to sit in the Chair of Death. I think UM even edited so that the Stackmeister was narrating over the majority of his lines just so he wouldn’t be heard. First off, his attempt at an accent is bad, full of stock “british-isms”. Worse though, are the clumsy attempts at dialogue. “Izzit alright?” “Yeas..salright” “Give it a go!” “It tingewls a bit!” Oh man it’s so bad, it’s so so bad…I can’t even think of a word for it. I’d have to make one up. Horrocious. That dialogue was horrocious. But even worser than that is the way the guy sort of prances around and acts like he’s a magician with an audience or something, all the while goading on his friend. Worst. Segment. Ever.
  • I also love the bit of improve done by the guy in the backseat in one of those fraud segments, when asked what’s wrong with his wife “Oh…she has a cancer in her stomach or something”. “Or something”!!!! Ha!!
  • The actor playing Chad Langford, while nice to look at, is hard to watch. That break up scene is comically bad…I’ve seen better acting in tough actin’ Tenactin. The way he erupts in anger, throws something like a child, then sags regretfully after she leaves…its like you can see the actor tell himself in his head to do each step.
  • The segment with the guy found wandering in the desert with amnesia. I can’t watch the part of the segment after its been revealed he’s wanted for a crime (of course!) and they reunite him with his mother. I’m certain he’s acting there.
  • I’ve always disliked the way the guy playing Mike Emert does that little look back behind him as he’s entering the house as if he realizes there’s something wrong all of a sudden. It’s just too much.
  • The wooden mortuary attendant in the Chad Mauer segment is only slightly more lively than the patrons of his establishment.

Good acting:

George Owens is king.
  • I think the actor portraying Ralph (last name forgotten) who was a double agent who died under mysterious circumstances did a good job.
  • In the Shane & Sally segment I think both parents did a very good job of acting, better than some professional actors I’ve seen on the show, as well as both of the kids playing Shane & Sally.
Corky Kneivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #24
Apostapler
Forum Regular

Good: The actress who portrayed Kristi Krebs and the effects of her mental illness. Superbly done.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #25
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

I don't know, I think many folks here are being unreasonably picky. I will say, this is UM for crying out loud, not who can win a golden globe! Of course some were better than others. But I never really did expect golden globe type work. Of course some people did great jobs at their performances, the majority did what I would expect and some were not so good.

You must remember at least in the first few days of UM many of the folks acting in UM were not actors at all but people with real connections to the events. But of course there were some infamous bad ones. The whole Elizabeth Ortiz one, although I do agree with dynoguy that the actress might have been deliberately bad because she was portraying a woman that was not particularly intelligent.

Yes Matthew McConaughy, I have never been a fan, his UM performance shows me why he sticks to the same character all the time in the romantic comedies he makes. He has had a few good roles, like in the movie version of the John Grisham book 'A Time to Kill'. However in UM in the segment his problem was not so much that his acting was altogether bad but he went too far, he overacted and was overly dramatic. That said though it is hard to judge him too harshly considering it was his first real role.

Gosh who else? Yeah, when the guy playing Sammy Wheeler acted like he was going to go after Bob Bean with a shot gun. The funeral home dude in that Chad Mauer segment. I will just never forget the way he read the line 'yes would you like to see it' I mean it was just the way he said it. It was literally like he was reading from a cue card.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #26
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Also Apostapler, that is a good point. I always felt that in the Kristi Krebs segment, well, that the actress did a good job at portrayal. However I also felt that Kristi's mental illness was minimized. In fact it was never even really mentioned other than a 'trauma related break'. In hearing what was described about her though as in manic episodes and manic pace, made me think she might have had untreated bi polar disorder. Bi Polar is one that frequently gets misdiagnosed by physicians and psychiatrists and psychologists and in fact it has been revealed not too long ago that your average person with bi polar has it on average for 10 years before they are diagnosed correctly. Just sad.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #27
Apostapler
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Also Apostapler, that is a good point. I always felt that in the Kristi Krebs segment, well, that the actress did a good job at portrayal. However I also felt that Kristi's mental illness was minimized. In fact it was never even really mentioned other than a 'trauma related break'. In hearing what was described about her though as in manic episodes and manic pace, made me think she might have had untreated bi polar disorder. Bi Polar is one that frequently gets misdiagnosed by physicians and psychiatrists and psychologists and in fact it has been revealed not too long ago that your average person with bi polar has it on average for 10 years before they are diagnosed correctly. Just sad.
I agree with you, kadrmas. They did leave a lot out about her mental illness.

Speaking of mental illness, another excellent segment was Gordon Page, Jr. The actor was amazing and in that segment they talked extensively about how his autism affected Gordon and his family.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #28
WishfulDreamer

The girl they got to play Colleen Ritter was amazing. Definitely one of the best reenactments UM ever did.

There's been a lot of talk about the bad actors, so I'll try not to repeat any because most have been touched on. The mother in the Owens case whose daughter is supposed to receive piano lessons was pretty hilarious. Most dancing scenes (not slow, ballroom dancing) are pretty cheesy. The ones in bars, particularly.

I liked Matthew's acting, actually. I thought he did a very good job.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #29
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

How about the guy who plays Brad Bishop's friend in Italy

(in a whisper....) YOU'RE BRAD BISHOP!!
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #30
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
How about the guy who plays Brad Bishop's friend in Italy

(in a whisper....) YOU'RE BRAD BISHOP!!
HAHAHAHAHA, or how about the guy playing the bearded Bishop... :Get away from me!!" while falling out of the door.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote