Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Angie (Sitcoms Online / Angie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Angie Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Angie

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

FXX Comedy Archer Gets 11th Season; TBS Sets Date for Comedy Game Show with The Good Place Star
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Anyone know anything about ANGIE? The show premeired in February of 1979 and lasted

until 1980. I was wondering does anyone know why it was canceled when the show finished number 5 after it's first season?
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I don't know. I always liked Angie. I know ratings dropped for Happy Days that season too.Maybe it was because Angie bought the beauty parlor and she stopped hanging around the coffee shop. I liked the first season better.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
joybandit
Occasional Poster

I think it is due to the fact that (like other sitcoms) they try to add something new or change something. Once they start adding characters or changing settings, the show's "feel" changes and people lose interest.
joybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 AM   #4
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

"Angie" is one of my all-time favoite sitcoms for several reasons. One, it was set in Philadelphia, a city very few shows are set in today. Two, it gave Doris Roberts the experience she'd need for playing an Italian mother in "Everybody Loves Raymond." Three, it was set in Philadelphia. Four, Robert Hays was in it. Five, it was set in Philadelphia. Six, it was genuinely funny. Seven, it was set in Philadelphia.

So what's my obsession with Philadelphia? Nothing, really, just that my paternal grandfather was born and raised there, and my paternal grandmother was raised there too, and I kind of consider it my adopted hometown, and I'm getting sick and tired of seeing sitcoms set in New York all the time. Let's hear it for Philly!

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

Top model Pat Cleveland has colon cancer and needs help to pay for treatment. Go to her GoFundMe page here: https://www.gofundme.com/pat-cleveland-fund
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:15 AM   #5
jarri
Happily divorced
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to jarri Send a message via Yahoo to jarri

Actually, there was a 90s show set in Philadelphia called Boy Meets World. WWWWWOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOO, GO PHILLY...my husband is from there and I live in Wilmington, Delaware(close enough,lol).

Enough about Philly. Let's go to Angieland!

I Love the 80s!
jarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 05:57 PM   #6
TV Guy

Default Re: Anyone know anything about ANGIE? The show premeired in February of 1979 and lasted

Quote:
Originally posted by Sitcom Analyzer
until 1980. I was wondering does anyone know why it was canceled when the show finished number 5 after it's first season?
It's the same reason that all those shows that have aired after "Friends" didn't make it -- they lost too much audience from their lead-in.

When "Angie" premiered, it was a midseason replacement, following "Happy Days". It did OK, but not as well as "Laverne and Shirley" did in the same time slot (L&S was #1 or #2 there). L&S, meanwhile, was bumped to Thursdays, where its ratings really dropped. So, L&S came back to Tuesdays in the middle of the 79-80 seson, where it performed better than "Angie" had done there, and "Angie" was moved to Mondays, where it died.

You can't blame ABC for sticking with a proven hit in that time period, but it's too bad that they didn't find a better time slot for "Angie", which really was a good little show. The second season changes (Angie and Brad sell the mansion; Angie runs a beauty shop) were self-defeating, though, and took the show away from its "rags-to-riches" premise.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: Re: Anyone know anything about ANGIE? The show premeired in February of 1979 and lasted

Quote:
Originally posted by TV Guy
It's the same reason that all those shows that have aired after "Friends" didn't make it -- they lost too much audience from their lead-in.

When "Angie" premiered, it was a midseason replacement, following "Happy Days". It did OK, but not as well as "Laverne and Shirley" did in the same time slot (L&S was #1 or #2 there). L&S, meanwhile, was bumped to Thursdays, where its ratings really dropped. So, L&S came back to Tuesdays in the middle of the 79-80 seson, where it performed better than "Angie" had done there, and "Angie" was moved to Mondays, where it died.

You can't blame ABC for sticking with a proven hit in that time period, but it's too bad that they didn't find a better time slot for "Angie", which really was a good little show. The second season changes (Angie and Brad sell the mansion; Angie runs a beauty shop) were self-defeating, though, and took the show away from its "rags-to-riches" premise.

And the show Little House on the Prarie OWNED that MOnday Slot
Old 04-08-2004, 12:59 AM   #8
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

ABC tampered with the show and Angie went from owning the coffee shop to running a hair salon. Too many changes.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:11 AM   #9
Lady T
Forum Veteran

I remember watching Angie when it was on ABC as a child; all I remember that it was set in Philadelphia and the lead actress was in Saturday Night Fever...
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:14 AM   #10
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Undercover Angel
I remember watching Angie when it was on ABC as a child; all I remember that it was set in Philadelphia and the lead actress was in Saturday Night Fever...
Don't forget the theme song. That was always one of my favorites.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:15 AM   #11
Lady T
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by mr roper
Oh Yeah...With the Liberty Bell in the opening..Pretty nifty stuff for the late 70's...
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:25 AM   #12
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Oh Yeah...With the Liberty Bell in the opening..Pretty nifty stuff for the late 70's...
It was the Bicentennial spirit!
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by mr roper

The disco version of it sounds heavenly. I get lost in it. Makes me want to take trip to New York and Philadelphia. Music can do that to a person.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Also William Penn was in the opening credits too. Tara you actually remember the opening credits for Angie and you were only 4 years old???-LOL
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
Leatherneck
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarri
Actually, there was a 90s show set in Philadelphia called Boy Meets World. WWWWWOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOO, GO PHILLY...my husband is from there and I live in Wilmington, Delaware(close enough,lol).

Enough about Philly. Let's go to Angieland!
Also don't forget "Amen" (with Sherman Hemsley, 1986-1991 on NBC) which was also set in Philly. Plus in "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," the opening theme made references to Will's life in West Philly before his mom sent him to live in Bel Air.
Leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote