Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #1
CameraQueen
Forum Regular

Default Reunion Movie?!

I was at a Yahoo HD group and there is talk of a reunion movie in the works! Anyone familiar with this??

<center>K! I! D! S! Yeah!! </center>
CameraQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 07:26 PM   #2
Tiger32
Forum Regular

I was watching Entertainment Tonight sometime last year, and they were talking to the former cast members about possibly doing a reunion, however nothing firm was set, but it appears that they were all willing to do a reunion show. The Actress that played Joanie was always against it before, but now it appears that she is open to it. But at their age, how good would a reunion show actually be? It could not be anything like the 70s, because Ron Howard is bald and in his late 40s, Henry Winkler is now in his 50s. Marion Ross and the actor who played Howard Cunningham are quickly approaching their 70s. So I would prefer to keep the memories of the past in the past, rather than have it tarnished by a bunch of old actors. The past belongs in the past, however through the magic of syndication and video tape, we can relive it over and over again. But to have a group of old actors trying to recapture their adolocent roles to me would be futile. Some things are just better left in the past.

Did you know that Henry Winkler really does not know how to ride a motorcycle? Everything regarding him riding a bike was fake. I was surprised when I heard him say that.
Tiger32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Brian
Forum Veteran

I knew Winkler doesn't ride a motorcycle. He was so famous that he had to constantly remind fans that the Fonz was just a TV character and he didn't know a thing about motorcycles. It's hard to believe he narrowly escaped being typecast.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Tom Bosley and Marion Ross are both in their early 70's, but they have both remained active in acting. Since when does age have anything to do with it? There are many actors and actresses still active in their 70's and beyond. It's really not about a movie, it's about seeing everybody back together. Now is the time to do it if they want to. Can you think of one tv reunion movie that truly tarnished the origial? How would a tv reunion movie change your opinions of the original?

Here's the article in case you missed it:

CBS's ratings success with a recent Carol Burnett reunion special has given the other networks ideas. NBC already has a reunion special on the "The Cosby Show" ready to go for May sweeps, New York Daily News reports. "The Cosby Show" was a massive hit on Thursdays for NBC from 1984-92. The paper reports that Cosby contacted the show's producer -- Carsey-Werner-Mandalbach -- not long after the Carol Burnett special knocked it out of the park for CBS, fin- ishing as the No. 1 show for the week. "Bill always felt it was a landmark series that had a lot of
important themes that related to family and how parents should communicate with children," said producer Tom Werner. "So hopefully the special will have some content value above and beyond just the normal clip show." The newspaper re- ported that plans call for taping the "Cosby" reunion show in April in New York, but Werner isn't sure how many of the original cast will be involved. "We're cer- tainly talking to them all," he said. NBC also plans to run a two-hour "L.A. Law" movie during the May sweeps, hoping to score killer ratings so they can set advertis- ing rates as high as possible. Networks put their best feet forward during sweeps to get ratings that drive the ad rates. CBS also is trying to get the cast of "M*A*S*H" together for a reunion special,
and ABC has a "Happy Days" reunion in the works. Columbia Tri-Star Domestic TV president Steve Mosko said the industry "saw this coming" when the movie version of the TV hit "Charlie's Angels" was one of the biggest box-office hits of 2000, the News reports. "People are still hun- gry for some of these shows that a lot of us grew up with," he said.
(Thanks to UPI Hollywood Reporter Pat Nason)
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:40 PM   #5
CameraQueen
Forum Regular

I think that's awesome!
I know everyone is getting older, but I think that's half the fun. I can't wait to see the characters interact as adults, and to see their children. All the questions will finally get answered (hopefully) - Did Fonzie ever get married? Did Richie become a famous screenwriter? Did Chachi make it in the music biz? I just hope they do it justice, and it doesn't come out stale. (Remember the Growing Pains reunion?? I loved the show, but the reunion left alot to be desired.) Now, I wonder what they mean by "in the works"...are they still in negotiations with the original cast, or are they ready to shoot?
Hmmm...I am WAY too excitied about this. LOL
CameraQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:06 AM   #6
Tiger32
Forum Regular

You have the right to your opinion, but I do not agree. Happy Days was a show mostly about the High School experiences of Richie Cunningham, Fonzi, Potsie and Ralph. That was the successful formula which made it a hit. As far as Tom Bosley and Marion Ross goes, it is good that they are still active, I have nothing against them, I think they are fine actors. But to see a 50 year Richie, Fonzy, Potsie, Ralph etc., I am not ready for that, but I am sure there may be some people who may want to see it. I did not like it when they did the Brady Bunch, Giligan's Island, Leave it to Beaver, Facts of Life and other similar type reunions. They can never recapture the chemistry of the past. That is why I am not a fan of these type of reunion shows. So what's next, do we bring back an aging Gabe Kaplan, John Travolta and Lawerence Hilton Jacobs and call them sweat hogs again? Or maybe we should suit up a 60 year old Sally Field and make her fly like the Flying Nun, you see this has the potential of really getting ridiculous. I say leave the past in the past, because we have enough memories of these characters to last a lifetime.

Last edited by Tiger32; 01-17-2002 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:40 AM   #7
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

If you are not a fan of these types of tv reunions, then why are you watching them all? Admit it, you are nostalgic like me and everybody else.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:46 AM   #8
Tiger32
Forum Regular

I don't watch any more.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:17 PM   #9
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow

Personally I find it hard to find anything bad lol. That's my main 'fault', I can always find something good about something.

ABC seems to be ready to do some reunions, such as the "Growing Pains" and "The Facts of Life" reunions...according to them, they are considering reunions for "Three's Company", "Happy Days", "Batman", "The Waltons", "The Monkees", and other classic programs. And of course, like TJ said, CBS is talking bout "M*A*S*H" and NBC is most likely doing "The Cosby Show", "NYPD Blue" reunions, and also a "Three's Company" tell-all-movie.
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:07 PM   #10
TV Guy

I have to admit that I'm curious, and I always watch them, no matter how bad they are. But these reunions are often bad, and there's something sort of pathetic about people trying to recapture magic that's no longer there. Anyone remember "The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies"? "Return to Green Acres"? "The Munsters' Revenge"? Pretty awful.

As far as "Happy Days" goes, I think it's about 7 or 8 years too late. Do we really need to see a middle-aged Fonzie? Or Potsie?Please, leave this one alone.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:49 PM   #11
Tiger32
Forum Regular

TV Guy, you are correct about the reunion movies, and I do understand the natural curiosity for watching them. I don't fault anyone who wants to watch these movies, however, after watching numerous reunions, I have become fed up, because most of these movies are poorly written and hastedly produced, because they know people are going to tune in regardless of whether it is crap or not. I do not fault the actors, because many of them, particularly the former child actors are type casted and are prevented from getting any other quality roles. So when a network decides that it wants to do a reunion movie, many jump at a chance to resurrect their floundering careers. I think if the networks really care about these actors, they could write a script totally unrelated to the telivision series, and give each character some depth, that would be helpful to the actors trying to get out of being type cast, and also allow us to see these actors in a new light.

Last edited by Tiger32; 01-18-2002 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:35 PM   #12
ALF Rocks!!
80s Sitcom Expert
Frequent Poster

Wow, when I was watching Happy Days today on TVLand, i was wondering about a reunion movie, wow, thats great! The thing I'm wondering is, if they do make a movie, will it take place in modern times, or the 80s. If you think mathematically, ok, Happy Days aired in the 70s, but took place in the 50s. thats a 20 year difference. Now, if they want to be chronologically correct, the reunion movie would take place in the 80s. If it took place in modern times, Howard and Marion would be around 90 years old!

Last edited by ALF Rocks!!; 01-18-2002 at 07:37 PM.
ALF Rocks!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:25 AM   #13
tdr

It hasn't been too many years since HD did have a reunion, has it? Not a movie, but a scripted 'discussion' among the actors about their experiences in the show. I remember seeing part of it, and Erin Moran refused to be in on it, claiming the male cast members groped and harassed her on the set and she did not want any part of that again.

Anyway, if there is to be a reuinion movie, there is likely to be only this one, so it appears the sooner the better. Winkler's and Ron Howard's prices for doing such a movie would probably come high, but many of the others may leap at the chance.

I am a fan of the original premise of the show-- the first 2 years before it became the surreal "Fonziemania" show. One of those first eps was about the election of '56. So now, 28 years later, if they follow a timely pattern that would put them at 1984, with the guys in their mid-40's, probably with their own budding teenagers to bring along, with Howard and Marion probably retired. But will there be a middle-aged, spreading, graying Fonzie still getting drinks or music by hitting machines or unable to say he was wrong ("Wr-r-r-r-r-...."). It seems hard to tell if the whole thing will be funny or sad. The only thing certain is that viewers will be curious.
tdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 04:30 PM   #14
Tiger32
Forum Regular

TDR, your curiosity is exactly what the Network Execs are banking on, which totally takes them off the hook for producing something of any substance. However, if they are determined to do such a reunion show, I say put it in the hands of Ron Howard to develop the script and direct the movie, because at least he is committed to quality as evidenced by his numerous hit movies. Perhaps then, there will be something worth watching, rather than just looking at how much each character has aged over the years.

Last edited by Tiger32; 01-19-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:28 PM   #15
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

None of the actors would be in it just for the money in my opinion and they would likely be paid a similar amount.

The Happy Days Reunion aired in March 1992. Erin Moran did not appear in it mainly because of marital problems moreso then having problems with the cast - I think that part of it has been blown way out of proportion in the tabloids. The harrassment came from a family member of Erin Moran, not from one of the cast members.