Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Pat

Default "Splash" ~ A Ron Howard Film

I didn't realize how many "tie-ins" Happy Days had with the movie "Splash" until FonzFan revealed them from answering a trivia question. Tonight, I purchased The 20th Anniversary Edition of Splash. I had to laugh because the ending credits noted Clint Howard (Ron's brother) as a wedding guest. Clint had two words in the movie: "Hey Allen." Rance Howard (Ron's father) was not listed in the movie, yet he played Mr. McCulla, a customer to complained about not getting his cherries from Allen. Rance had about 20 lines. How funny.
I love this movie!
Tom Hanks was down and out. Bossum Buddies had been canceled and he had made his appearance on Happy Days long after Ron had left. He did not have a big name in the film industry and many big name actors turned the part down of Splash's Allen Bauer. Tom was so worried about not screwing this movie up because he knew that this movie could be the spring board of launching his career. It was the movie that put him on the map.
Ron Howard was working on Night Shift when Brian Grazer (Ron's partner in movie making) started talking to Ron about the possibilities of making Splash. Many film companies showed little or no interest until Disney accepted it. This was the very first PG movie that Disney took a chance on. All of their previous movies were G. Not only did it make history with Tom Hanks and Disney, but as a result, it was the birth of Touchstone Pictures.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Dynomite
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I didn't realize how many "tie-ins" Happy Days had with the movie "Splash" until FonzFan revealed them from answering a trivia question. Tonight, I purchased The 20th Anniversary Edition of Splash. I had to laugh because the ending credits noted Clint Howard (Ron's brother) as a wedding guest. Clint had two words in the movie: "Hey Allen." Rance Howard (Ron's father) was not listed in the movie, yet he played Mr. McCulla, a customer to complained about not getting his cherries from Allen. Rance had about 20 lines. How funny.
I love this movie!
Tom Hanks was down and out. Bossum Buddies had been canceled and he had made his appearance on Happy Days long after Ron had left. He did not have a big name in the film industry and many big name actors turned the part down of Splash's Allen Bauer. Tom was so worried about not screwing this movie up because he knew that this movie could be the spring board of launching his career. It was the movie that put him on the map.
Ron Howard was working on Night Shift when Brian Grazer (Ron's partner in movie making) started talking to Ron about the possibilities of making Splash. Many film companies showed little or no interest until Disney accepted it. This was the very first PG movie that Disney took a chance on. All of their previous movies were G. Not only did it make history with Tom Hanks and Disney, but as a result, it was the birth of Touchstone Pictures.
That's very informal, Pat, keep it up. I figure you can add some insight to my next thread. Stay tuned.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
spreckenzeedeu
form.known.as iris*happydays
Forum Regular

Question

I've never seen the Movie ... so tell me: Does it have a Happy End ???
spreckenzeedeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

i dont remember the ending, but it is a GREAT movie

i loved John Candy and Eugene Levy in it too
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Pat

Default I stand corrected

Rance Howard is credited before the credits scroll up. It's when Allen and Madison are swimming through the corral.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Rance Howard is credited before the credits scroll up. It's when Allen and Madison are swimming through the corral.
so you've seen the ending just recently then...?
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretHeart
I've never seen the Movie ... so tell me: Does it have a Happy End ???
It is an awesome story. Allen Bauer (Tom Hanks) is leading a successful life working as the owner of his father's business: Bauer fruit business. His wild brother starts to get into the business: Freddy (John Candy). Allen's live-in girlfriend decides to leave, claiming that Allen doesn't really love her. Allen is distrought. "I don't ask for much. I mean, I don't ask to be rich and I don't ask to be famous and I don't ask to play center field for the New York Yankees. I just want to meet someone and fall in love." Allen heads to Cape Cod. Freddy: "Cape Cod!? Why would you go to Cape Cod?!" Allen: "I don't know Freddy. I look out over the water and I feel closer to something." Allen gets dropped off on the wrong side and is trying to get out to the the island. He hires someone to boat him across in a tiny, two man boat. The engine fails and the owner starts the three mile swim back to get "the little boat". When Allen tries to fix it himself, the sudden burst of power by the engine throws him overboard. Allen can't swim and the boat circles around and hits him in the head. Allen sinks to the bottom, but is saved by a beautiful woman (Daryl Hannah). He wakes on the beach wondering how he got there. This beautiful woman is watching him from the bushes. "Excuse me, did you save me?" She walks over to him and kisses him. Then she runs into the water and swims away. "Can I call you? I can't swim. Oh, why didn't I learn how to swim?"
She finds his wallet on the ocean bottom and swims to NY to find him. Without being able to communicate with her at first, Allen is falling for this girl hard, but he won't admit it.
Meanwhile, a scientist knows that this girl is a mermaid. The scientists old teacher, "If she is a mermaid, why does she have legs?"
Scientist: "She has legs out of the water, she has fins inside the water. You taught me that Dr. Zidell."
"So what are you going to do, get her wet to prove to everyone that she is a mermaid?"
The idea washes over Dr. Cornblooth like a brilliant idea.
The girl of Allen's dreams has a secret she wants to tell him, but is Dr. Cornblooth going to beat her to the secret?
How can a man love a mermaid and even crazier, how could they ever make that work?
Ron Howard pulls it off. If you haven't seen this movie, you will enjoy it.

Yes SecretHeart, it is a happy ending.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pat; 08-12-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
so you've seen the ending just recently then...?
Holy Moly robyrob, this movie is playing for the 5th time since I bought it last night. It's a great movie, and my kids L.O.V.E. it.

Last edited by Pat; 08-14-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
spreckenzeedeu
form.known.as iris*happydays
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Yes SecretHeart, it is a happy endind.
Thanks. (and Thanks for some Synopsis). Next Time it is on, I will watch it then
spreckenzeedeu is offline   Reply With Quote