Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #31
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

I believe Adam convinced Elena to help him escape by jumping off the bridge to throw police off his trail. I do not think Adam Emery is dead.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #32
scc1222
Forum Regular

Yes I wonder about that.I also wonder if he killed her and threw her body in the river.
either that,or the other person WAS adam with her,and,as someone said before,the coroner miscalculated the height of the bones.if it wasn't adam,I can't imagine who it would be.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #33
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
Yes I wonder about that.I also wonder if he killed her and threw her body in the river.
either that,or the other person WAS adam with her,and,as someone said before,the coroner miscalculated the height of the bones.if it wasn't adam,I can't imagine who it would be.
Yes this case is baffling as to what happened to Adam. They did certainly come across as self absorbed 'yuppies' in the segment but by all account they did seem very devoted to each other so its hard to imagine him killing her and then taking off. I do think the bones that were recovered that they said were too short to be Adam need to be re-examined. In this day and age they may even be able to get some dna from them and definitely match or exclude them as Adam's.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #34
WishfulDreamer

This is one of the most enraging cases on UM for me. I would really like to know the fate of Adam Emery, particularly because the thought of him walking the streets is a disturbing prospect. I think he's probably in the water where his wife was found, but it would be great to have actual confirmation.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
Victoria81
Forum Regular

I believe they jumped and he somehow, 1 wasn't found, 2 the bone height was miscalculated and he was there..
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #36
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria81
I believe they jumped and he somehow, 1 wasn't found, 2 the bone height was miscalculated and he was there..
That's a good point I hadn't thought of about the bone height.

In any event, I always felt that they committed suicide together and Adam's body, for whatever reason, was missed by the search and rescue. Or, as you alluded to, the unidentified bones found might actually be his.

I think I've said before on here, and it's a controversial POV, but I think Adam Emery snapped in the heat of the moment and his killing of Jason Bass was an impulsive "crime of passion" type scenario that could have probably been avoided if Emery just took a minute to calm down and realize the consequences of his actions.

To throw his wife from the bridge or otherwise entice her to "jump first" knowing that he would not do so himself, the guy would have to be one cold SOB. Not impossible, especially given what happened with Jason Bass. Yet, considering that Elena was his wife, and that there was no other known history of violence that I'm aware of, and going by the known facts, the double suicide just always felt right to me.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

He's profiled over on the FBI's website, and they have no sightings of him since 1993. He jumped with his wife, IMO. He had far more trouble waiting for him had he not jumped. He could have been captured, tacked on additional charges (possibly even the murder of Elena), and faced even more severe jail time. It just wouldn't make sense for him not to jump.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #38
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
That's a good point I hadn't thought of about the bone height.

In any event, I always felt that they committed suicide together and Adam's body, for whatever reason, was missed by the search and rescue. Or, as you alluded to, the unidentified bones found might actually be his.

I think I've said before on here, and it's a controversial POV, but I think Adam Emery snapped in the heat of the moment and his killing of Jason Bass was an impulsive "crime of passion" type scenario that could have probably been avoided if Emery just took a minute to calm down and realize the consequences of his actions.

To throw his wife from the bridge or otherwise entice her to "jump first" knowing that he would not do so himself, the guy would have to be one cold SOB. Not impossible, especially given what happened with Jason Bass. Yet, considering that Elena was his wife, and that there was no other known history of violence that I'm aware of, and going by the known facts, the double suicide just always felt right to me.
I agree wholeheartedly on all points. Without absolving Adam Emery of what he did, the man was not a cold-blooded calculated killer. If anything this case much like the case of Richard Church proves how one snap decision can ruin many lives. I'm almost positive that Adam Emery died alongside his wife Elena. It was obviously a pact they made, for Adam never to spend a day behind bars and for them not having to be separated from one another even in death. The only thing I question is the fact that they were so calculated in the events that preceded the suicide, going shopping together, having a last meal together and things of that nature. Although that could've all been part of the process as well and maybe attaching too much weight to those sorts of things is foolish.

By the way and not to make light of a serious situation by any means, I've been to that chowder house that the Emery's frequented the night of the hit and run/homicide. They have homemade doughnuts that are in a word: incredible.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #39
TheCafeDisco
Frequent Poster

I re-watched this case the other day. I always just assumed it was a suicide pact and they didn't locate Adam's body.

But when re-watching it ( I believe it was a ferina episode.) I remember they said that Adam and Elena went out to a fast food restaurant before they were seen on the bridge. Now, this may sound silly but if I were going to make a suicide pact with someone, my last meal wouldn't be from a fast food joint.

Now, I am thinking maybe they were planning on just making it look like a suicide. Perhaps they jumped, hoping they would be able to survive the water, swimming to shore to make a new life for themselves. Maybe Elena accidentally drowned or died on impact and Adam survived swimming away? I don't know enough details to remember if anyone looked at this possibility.
TheCafeDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #40
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCafeDisco
I re-watched this case the other day. I always just assumed it was a suicide pact and they didn't locate Adam's body.

But when re-watching it ( I believe it was a ferina episode.) I remember they said that Adam and Elena went out to a fast food restaurant before they were seen on the bridge. Now, this may sound silly but if I were going to make a suicide pact with someone, my last meal wouldn't be from a fast food joint.

Now, I am thinking maybe they were planning on just making it look like a suicide. Perhaps they jumped, hoping they would be able to survive the water, swimming to shore to make a new life for themselves. Maybe Elena accidentally drowned or died on impact and Adam survived swimming away? I don't know enough details to remember if anyone looked at this possibility.
If they really were wearing the dive weights, tho, there's no way they could have survived to swim to shore. Maybe they threw the dive weights in and then jumped hoping to make it to shore.

My opinion is that they most likely both jumped and only one has been partially recovered, but I think it is very weird that they were haggling over the price of the dive weights and had their last meal at a fast food restaurant.

If I were planning to commit suicide, I don't think food would be on my mind at all and I definitely know I wouldn't be complaining about being overcharged for the item I was going to use to take myself out with. Who cares how much it costs? Weird.

Unless Adam and Elaina figured that once their estate was settled, more money would go to their heirs if the credit card bill was cheaper, but sheesh, what's a few bucks, it's not like they were arguing over something that cost thousands of dollars. He was probably just a control freak or so self important that he wanted what he wanted on his terms, even until the end.
-
-

Please sign the petition to get Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix/Hulu http://www.thepetitionsite.com/733/9...flix-and-hulu/
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #41
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCafeDisco

I've always kind of thought this might have been a faked suicide attempt a la Robert Carrado. I think I'm more open to the possibility that Adam pushed Elena from the bridge than most seem to be. I think if he was desperate enough to want to avoid prison at all costs, and violent enough to brutally murder someone over something as ridiculous as the reason he killed Jason Bass, I definitely think he could be capable of using his wife in this awful manner to cover his tracks.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #42
TheCafeDisco
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
If they really were wearing the dive weights, tho, there's no way they could have survived to swim to shore. Maybe they threw the dive weights in and then jumped hoping to make it to shore.

My opinion is that they most likely both jumped and only one has been partially recovered, but I think it is very weird that they were haggling over the price of the dive weights and had their last meal at a fast food restaurant.

If I were planning to commit suicide, I don't think food would be on my mind at all and I definitely know I wouldn't be complaining about being overcharged for the item I was going to use to take myself out with. Who cares how much it costs? Weird.

Unless Adam and Elaina figured that once their estate was settled, more money would go to their heirs if the credit card bill was cheaper, but sheesh, what's a few bucks, it's not like they were arguing over something that cost thousands of dollars. He was probably just a control freak or so self important that he wanted what he wanted on his terms, even until the end.

Do you happen to know if they ever found the weights? I don't recall if they ever found them. I assumed they bought them for show for the media, to make everyone think they were committing suicide. Then after they bought them got rid of them, like you said, they wouldn't be able to swim with the weights. Perhaps they just tossed them either in the water before jumping, but wouldn't investigators search the bottom of the river? Surely if they tossed the weights in the river, they'd be found.Perhaps they tossed them in the dumpster at that fast food restaurant? It's a long shot but just a thought.
TheCafeDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #43
nikkispence1989
Podcast and calories
Frequent Poster

I really like this case. I find it strangely romantic that they decided to jump together. How loyal must a wife be to stick with her husband after this awful crime.

I do love all these theories. My least favorite is that he pushed his wife off to make it appear they both died together. In the videos on UM they looked so loved up together I just cant see him turning on her like that.

I really hope that the one where they throw the weights off the bridge then jump in hoping to swim to safety, to trick the authorities. Unfortunately it appears that Ellena didnt make it.

To me Adam didnt seem like a too bad of a guy. If he did survive and go on to live a life on the run it is pretty amazing!

Like someone said earlier why would they be so fussed and haggle on the price of food / weights if you were going to kill your self? Maybe they withdrew X amount of funds from their bank to go on the run with and after they cut up they cards they needed to be tight with cash. That would explain it to me pretty perfectly.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #44
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkispence1989
I really like this case. I find it strangely romantic that they decided to jump together. How loyal must a wife be to stick with her husband after this awful crime.
As she was allegedly egging Adam on in his homicidal rampage by screaming at him to run Bass down, I'd say they deserved each other.

Quote:
To me Adam didnt seem like a too bad of a guy.
Adam Emery stabbed an absolutely innocent man to death after terrorizing him, then gave some half-hearted story about the whole thing being in self defense. He showed no remorse for his error, nor for Bass's family.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #45
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
As she was allegedly egging Adam on in his homicidal rampage by screaming at him to run Bass down, I'd say they deserved each other.
Yep...Elena was the one screaming for Adam to get his knife and go attack the occupants in the car...what a classy, romantic lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Adam Emery stabbed an absolutely innocent man to death after terrorizing him, then gave some half-hearted story about the whole thing being in self defense. He showed no remorse for his error, nor for Bass's family.
While I have no sympathy for Adam Emery whatsoever, I do not think he was an evil person. Obviously, I don't think he intended on killing Jason Bass that night, but then again, he was the one who went for his knife, and he was the one who made the decision to leap onto Jason Bass's car. All he had to do was confront Jason Bass, and see that there was no damage to his car to know for sure that he wasn't the one who hit his car. I blame Elena equally for what happened that night.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote