Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Rick and Morty Season 4; ABC Midseason 2020 Schedule
Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 PM   #16
munn2334
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

Street Fighter, Savage Dragon, Mortal Kombat, Wing Commander Academy, BKN & give me Rambo.
munn2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #17
Faster
Frequent Poster

Battle of the Planets (G-Force)
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:12 PM   #18
Steve Carras
Sandra Bullock RULES!
Forum Regular

Default The top ten that CN should show..

Well,being a child of the 1960s-mid 1970s, here are my picks in case I haven't answered here already.

1.The original Alvin show from 1961-65.
(The MISCHEIVOUS original version with the original Ross Bagdsarian/David Seville, and the wacked out inventor Clyde Crashcup*.

2..Beany and Cecil cartoon from Bob Clampett (not to be confused with the 1988 revival)."I'm coming Beany boy"...1961-1967. Many hilarious guests, most not known to modern veiwers but ALWAYS, ALWAYS funny to just about everyoine, incl.Senor Wences and impersonations of the great Hans Conreid as Williem Shakespeare Wolf by the great ouppeteer-voicer Walker Edmiston**.

3.Gumby with the ORIGINAL sound effects, voices and music, NOT the re-soundtracked 1988 version. (I wonder if the DVD of Gumby is going to have the 1950s-1960s episodes as they ORIGINALLY sounded as I prefer.). I Know CN had the badly inferioir 1980s-90s version.

4.Linus the Lionhearted--1964-1969 Post-cereal commercial-turned into Sat.AM TV show...why does THAT sound familiar? Veteran character actor-comic-TV shopw creator Sheldon Leonard (1907-1997) did the voice of Linus and the great actors Carl Reiner, Jesse White and reportedly Johnathan Winters . A Gerry Mathews did the voice a la the great crooner Bing Crosby (1903-1977) of Sugar Bear, of course the only suriving character. Linus himself usta pitched CRISPY CRITTERS, then some Jimmy Durante-sounding*** caterpillar named, (naturaly!!) "Crispy", was the 1980-s mascot.Even after the decline of the characters (svae Sugar Bear), the fact that many sitll know it as a (though NOT-product-MENTIONING!) "informercerel", the Chinese boy in one segment (SO HI) and the reported fact that it;'s black and white may keep this off though..

5.Flinstones..the original 1960s series. Boomerang does show this and my MOM and DAD in the next room have 'Rang, but I don't have it.

6.Sinbad Jr. from the mid-1960s comprised of five minute comedy-adventures with the teenaged son of Sinbad and his poarrot, Salty, preferably Hanna-Barbera's version^.

7.Abbott and Costello, the 1967 Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Incideintallyh, Bud Abbott of the team did his own voice! (Lou Costello, the chubby half, died in 1959. Instead, comedian Stan Irwin impersonated him, cf.Mel Blanc to storyman Tedd Pierce's"Babbit" in that early 1942 Tweety A TALE OF TWO KITTIES and those two mid-1940s mouse A&C cartoons at Warner Bros.)

8.Laurel and Hardy cartoons from Hanna-Barbera in associaitonm with Larry Harmon Productions and (David L.) Wolper Productions, a MetroMedia Co. These had Bozo cocreator Larry Harmon as Stan Laurel and Jim MacGeorge (the cartoon voice of Clampett's Beany boy to puppeteer-voice actor Erv Shoemaker's Cecil#) as Oliver Hardy (who Chuck McCann took over later in adas and in SCOOBY DOO shows, with MACGEORGE as LAUREL). BTW CHaracter actor Henry Calvin did Hardy with Harmon as Laurel for an earlier record.Speaking of Larry Harmon..

9.Howdy Folks--I'd love the BOZO cartoons (the animated sequences) from 1958-1962. Larry Harmon (who, while not ORIGIANLLY creating Bozo~, WOULD be the major architect and here, voice of our cmost famous clown) is Bozo and his little palButch and veteran boomer era voice actor Paul Frees does the Ringmaster/Boss and everyone else, and presumably June Foray as Belinda, the later seen little girl.

10.I think that Boomerang shows this but UNDERDOG, starring HOLLYWOOD SQUARE and 1950s live sitcom MISTER PEEPERS star Wally Cox (1924-1973) as the spectacled canine shoeshiner-cometh-superdog, would do well on there. BUt two factor, either his using a pill in some episodes (at this point cutting it out wouldn't bother me, he IS a superhero anyhow) or the "Barney " factor, despite the Jay Ward~~ type animation, would be considered not sophisticated enough (even though *I* at 42 wouldn't mind seeing it,someof it IS funny.)

Anyway,that's just my top ten.

NOTES:
A pure creation for the original Alvin show, sounding (thanks to the late Shep Menken,1921-1999, also heard in the 1960s-70-s WESTERN AIRLINES ads as an animated bird) like comic British character actor Richard Haydn (1905-1985) who in Walt Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951) DID do a cartoon voice, as the snooty caterpillar.Hugh Jackman and Meg Ryan's KATE AND LEOPOLD costar and WEST WING star Bradley Whitford in the hilarious 1995 Adam Sandler breakout, Universal's BILLY MADISON does a HILARIOUS Richard Haydn iompression.

**Walker Edmistion's wolf character and his THUNDERBOLT AND WONDERCOLT characters were like Beany and Cecil stars of a Bob Clampett-produced early day pupopet show in early day TV. Thunderbolt ALSO sounded a bit like Hans Conried.

***Jimmy Durante, of course, was the great comic and vaudevillian..his hilarious sandpaper voice and malaprops inspired 1960s Hanna Barbera voice Doug Young's origiinating of the voice of devoted father canine Doggie Daddy (QUICK DRAW: AUGIE DOGGIE)(1959).Durante himself, impersonated a lot in the 1930s-50s, wass da voice of himself in da great XMASA special-FROTY DA SNOWMAN by Rankin/Bass (1969).

^Sam Singer, producer of COURAGEOUS CAT,BUCKY & PEPITO and the 50s version of LITTLE POWWOW, did the first batch of SInbad and Salty's.Unlike Hanna-Barbera's version, with ANIMAL HOUSE series (VAN WILDER from last year with Ryan Reynolds and Tara Reid included) figure and 1960s HB teenage voicer Tim Math(i)eson as Sinbad and Mel Blanc as Salty (and possibly Paul Frees, Janet Waldo, Julie Bennett,Jean Vanderpyl, Blanc, Hal Smith, Daws Butler and Don Messick as incidentalcharacters), with a happy, jazzy, theme and MUCH more of a light comedic feel, the Sam Singer original had veteran character actor on moviesa, radio and various animation studio (but NOT HB to my knowledge) Dallas McKennon as ALL voices, BOTH Sin and Salt. AND the remainder.The SS (fitting alliterative initials, huh given the nautical theme) version also had a sea chanty open and more-adventure typestories. Both versions in sample episodes are at www.toontracker.com Also, the portrayal of parrot Salty (a COMPLETE original!) is EXTREMELY different between the two versions-In Singer's the character is a more fesity or other times naive character, somewhat like his voice actor Dal McKennon's voicing of Art Clokey's Rodgy the bird in a few Clokey spinoff pilots with a bear named Henry (NOT to be confused with Chuck Jones's bomastic ursine!). BUT the HB/Mel Blanc version is a eager beaver littlekid type, kind of like Warner Bros.director Robert McKimson's version of Sylvester Jr. (who WAS used in a spoiled brat version by Friz Freleng in that 1960 Goldimouse toon), right down to Mel Blanc's voice.THe HB version has NO credits (but the HB'American Int'l credit)-the music and SFX of course give it away../the SS version DOES have some credits.
BUT in BOTH SINBAD JR. (Does the later thirty minuter REGULAR SINBAD and the failed DreamWorks one have this?) versions the hero pulls a magic belt that gives him the Popeye treatment!! (Unlike even the worldwide animated POPEYE), SINBAD and SALTY got to have ENTIRELY different series, right down to the voices,music,and open/closes, in ONE series!!

#Regarding LAUREL AND HARDYS Jimmy MacGeorge's BEANY voice and Erv SHoemaker as Cecil.Daws Butler--BEFORE he became a HB voice was BEANY and Stan Freberg was Cecil in ORIGIOANL 1940s PUPPET show!!

~Alan W.Livingston is the ACTUAL creator of BOZO.

~~INTERESTINGLY...Gamma Productions did do the animation for ALL of the Leonardo-TTV (UNDERDOG guys) and most of the Jay Ward stuff.To make matters MORE CONFUSING, as many know, the shows from BOTH studios, sharing the same syndicator and coproducers, get shown togther, so you'd have TENNSESEE TUXEDO, which appeared on UNDERDOG, from Leo.TTV ONE moment and a BULLWINKLE MR.KNOW IT ALL from Jay Ward the NEXT!
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #19
Steve Carras
Sandra Bullock RULES!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny
Beavis and Butthead is the one that comes to my mind.
That would be one modern era show I would vote for. I also wish that SPIKE TV had kept REN AND STIMPY.Oh well, the peopel associated with the other two thirds of that trilogy, GARY THER RAT and STRIPERELLA are supporters as far as I know of John K.and they can get the show on..
Steve Carras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #20
I am Him
Six
Banned!!

The original Transformers, the original He-man, the smurfs and Beavis and Butthead. But I would want them to edit out the videos and just show the skits.
I am Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:27 AM   #21
Anthony33
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Him
The original Transformers, the original He-man, the smurfs and Beavis and Butthead. But I would want them to edit out the videos and just show the skits.
WHAT? F that, the videos were the best part in a lot of the episodes. If you don't like them, you'll probably love the DVD releases, limited best of sets without the hilarious video commentary.
Anthony33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:34 PM   #22
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Hekll and Jeckll
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 PM   #23
EricIdlefan
Gobble Gobble!
Forum Legend

Speed Racer!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 PM   #24
Anthony33
Forum Regular

Did you guys hear the news? USA Today reported that because of the high sales of the Family Guy DVD sets that they're considering bringing it back. That would be a hell of a cartoon to have new episodes of, don't you think. Maybe this will set a precedent with huge DVD sales bringing shows back from the dead. That would be so cool.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:54 AM   #25
W.J. Griffin
Forum Regular

Cartoons I wouldn't mind seeing again:

Thundercats (the coolest cartoon of the 1980s, no question!!)
Tranzor Z
The Galaxy Trio
The Fantastic Four (the H-B version)
Mighty Mightor
Astro Boy (the original...the WB jerked us around with that talk about a "new" series...them @#*&!!!)
Marine Boy
Fantastic Voyage
the "Archie" series from the late 60s and early 70s
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids (the first two seasons)
Kid Power (an adaption of Morrie Turner's "Wee Pals" comic strip from the early 70s{y'know, I always wondered why they just didn't call the cartoon "Wee Pals" in the first place...go figure**)
Star Blazers
The Harlem Globetrotters (with Scatman Carruthers as Meadowlark Lemmon and Stu Gillam as Curley Neal from 1971, with those Motown-inspired songs...)
The Jackson 5ive (this one may be a problem, given Micheal Jackson's current legal hassles...)
The Beatles
The Osmonds (eh, what the hell...)
My Favorite Martians (the only animated adaption of a prime-time series that's actually FUNNIER than the original, plus it's got Howard Morris and Jonathan Harris in the Bill Bixby-Ray Walston roles!)
...and last, but not least...SPEED RACER!!
W.J. Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:57 AM   #26
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

My favorite cartoon----------Hong Kong Phooey.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:38 AM   #27
Anthony33
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by W.J. Griffin
Cartoons I wouldn't mind seeing again:

Thundercats (the coolest cartoon of the 1980s, no question!!)
Tranzor Z
The Galaxy Trio
The Fantastic Four (the H-B version)
Mighty Mightor
Astro Boy (the original...the WB jerked us around with that talk about a "new" series...them @#*&!!!)
Marine Boy
Fantastic Voyage
the "Archie" series from the late 60s and early 70s
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids (the first two seasons)
Kid Power (an adaption of Morrie Turner's "Wee Pals" comic strip from the early 70s{y'know, I always wondered why they just didn't call the cartoon "Wee Pals" in the first place...go figure**)
Star Blazers
The Harlem Globetrotters (with Scatman Carruthers as Meadowlark Lemmon and Stu Gillam as Curley Neal from 1971, with those Motown-inspired songs...)
The Jackson 5ive (this one may be a problem, given Micheal Jackson's current legal hassles...)
The Beatles
The Osmonds (eh, what the hell...)
My Favorite Martians (the only animated adaption of a prime-time series that's actually FUNNIER than the original, plus it's got Howard Morris and Jonathan Harris in the Bill Bixby-Ray Walston roles!)
...and last, but not least...SPEED RACER!!
Pretty good classic picks, but if you're going to include Mightor and The Galaxy Trio you gotta throw in Birdman and hey, they're all on the same show now (Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law)
Old 11-20-2003, 09:38 PM   #28
Pug Lover
Forum Regular

Cool

Here is my list of cartoons I wish they would bring back in syndication: The SuperFriends The Oddball Couple Baggy Pants & The Nitwits The Pink Panther The New Adventures Of Gilligan[cartoon version of Gilligan,s Island] Captain Caveman & The Teen Angels The Brady Kids Laurel & Hardy cartoons The Little Rascals Crazy Christmas Special Abbott & Costello cartoons Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids
Old 11-23-2003, 08:35 AM   #29
ClassicNickLover
Occasional Poster

I'm starting a classic Nickelodeon downloading network so everyone can have access to their favorite childhood shows. It is a place where you could watch or download old nickelodeon shows online.

If any of you have any old Nickelodeon shows please visit the site and find out how you can help out or to just build up nostalgia.

http://classicnicklovers.cjb.net
ClassicNickLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 09:48 PM   #30
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Send a message via MSN to musicradio77 Send a message via Yahoo to musicradio77

Bring back the oldies. I mean, please bring back the following shows:

1. "The Super Mario Brothers Super Show"
2. "Jem"
3. "Thundercats"
4. "Richie Rich" (1980's version)
5. "Plastic Man"
6. "Classic G.I. Joe"
7. "Classic Transformers"
8. "Police Academy: The Series"
9. "My Little Pony"
10. "Glo Friends"
11. "Dennis the Menace"
12. "The Wonderful World of Disney" (Original)

In addition to these shows, bring back a few hours of classic cartoons from the 30's and 40's like Mighty Mouse, Felix the Cat, Gabby, Betty Boop and others.