Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
WatcherofOldTV
Frequent Poster

Default Why does Silverman get so much flack for his NBC tenure?

Yes, there were a lot of flops. Supertrain is probably the biggest one in terms of money. But, he came into a situation which was really not for one person to handle. It appears to me that he had put a lot of good things in place to make Grant Tinker look like a genius.

I.E. Brought back the peacock (thank heavens!), hired Brandon Tartikoff who got Warren Littlefield (later NBC Executive of Seinfeld and the 90's Thursday night lineup). Also, Silverman got an agreement for Cheers, the proper management to get the NBC news back into shape, developed Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Hill Street Blues, Gimme a Break.

Seems like Silverman was the person to put the groundwork into place for a long run of success through most of the 80s and 90s. Family Ties was also his idea (indirectly) through a friend of his at MTM from the CBS days. Can't say he had nothing to do with it.

So, why was Fred Silverman said to have "destroyed" NBC? Frankly, if he had not been there, would Tinker have been any better? I always felt like he was able to take advantage of a situation to make it look like he did all the work, when really, he didn't do much. Sort of like Joe Torre with the Yankees.
WatcherofOldTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
JSP

I too think Silverman put NBC on the right track. Problem was people expected him to fix NBC instantly based on his past experiences at ABC and CBS, so the criticism piled on because he couldn't fix NBC fast enough.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
pkripper001
Forum Regular

Your right in asking the question.
''Supertrain'' was already commissioned & going into early production,when he
took control of NBC in the summer of 1978. ''Supertrain'' is not Silverman's
folly.Silverman moved the premier of''Supertrain''up to mid-season 78-79,from
its original planned fall '79 debut, but the show was not his idea.
Diff'rent Strokes,Little House on the Prairie,&the movie of the week was NBC'S
best programing around Feb and March 1979 though.
pkripper001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
WatcherofOldTV
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkripper001
Your right in asking the question.
''Supertrain'' was already commissioned & going into early production,when he
took control of NBC in the summer of 1978. ''Supertrain'' is not Silverman's
folly.Silverman moved the premier of''Supertrain''up to mid-season 78-79,from
its original planned fall '79 debut, but the show was not his idea.
Diff'rent Strokes,Little House on the Prairie,&the movie of the week was NBC'S
best programing around Feb and March 1979 though.
Not quite...according to his interview with Archive of American Television, the idea for the show was pitched to him and he wanted to do "Hitchcock on a train". But, according to Silverman, the guy running the show felt it was best to just throw money at it and hope for the best.

Grant Tinker got a lot of credit for Silverman's work. But, really, as Silverman said, when Tinker got in the door, the network was only 2 or 3 shows away from success and Silverman knew it. Tinker didn't feel that the network was going to make it but did it for the money, basically. He was lucky that he got there with good people and left when he figured it was best to leave when the gettin' was good. He wasn't stupid enough to go into a bad situation with no hope. Tinker said in his interview with AoAT, that it was bad when he got there but that he felt he knew the people enough beforehand to make it happen. Basically, he got lucky...Silverman was scrappy and made Tinker's life easy.
WatcherofOldTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
glickmam
Forum Regular

Personally, I'm glad that his tenure lasted so brief, because, IMHO, he screwed over one too many game shows during his tenures as a network executive. In fact, I place the blame squarely on his shoulders for the near extinction of daytime network game shows. If it was up to me, I'd personally see to it that he'd never work in Hollywood again, I hate him that badly.
glickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #6
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glickmam
Personally, I'm glad that his tenure lasted so brief, because, IMHO, he screwed over one too many game shows during his tenures as a network executive. In fact, I place the blame squarely on his shoulders for the near extinction of daytime network game shows. If it was up to me, I'd personally see to it that he'd never work in Hollywood again, I hate him that badly.
I find it ironic that with the reported hate for game shows Silverman had, all the networks quit wiping them during his tenure over each network.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:29 AM   #7
factsoflife

All I know is that compared to Jeff Zucker, Fred Silverman looks like a darn genius!

I think many of the presidents of NBC that came after him didn't know how to develop long-lasting shows. I mean look at how badly NBC tanked after the 90's ended; all of those shows ended and NBC never bothered developing new hits to replace them! It took years for them to find a way out of fourth place!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Mario500
Forum Regular

The person who started this discussion should have been more specific while naming it since at least one other famous person with the name "Silverman" got a lot of criticism for his tenure at NBC (the one I was thinking of was named Ben Silverman).
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
mets82

When was Silverman head at NBC?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
When was Silverman head at NBC?
'78 to '81
Old 02-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
mets82

From the NBC schedules I have seen on Wikipedia, during Silverman tenure, I didn't see too many shows that I would watch except Little House, Facts of Life and Different Strokes.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Mario500
Forum Regular

I am sure many folks who liked the Smurfs would be glad to know that the person named Fred Silverman being discussed here had the idea to give them a TV series of their very own (they were originally supporting characters for a series of books about two characters named Johan and Peewit).
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #13
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
From the NBC schedules I have seen on Wikipedia, during Silverman tenure, I didn't see too many shows that I would watch except Little House, Facts of Life and Different Strokes.
It took him a while to right the ship, but he was putting NBC in the right direction.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
bgva
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500
The person who started this discussion should have been more specific while naming it since at least one other famous person with the name "Silverman" got a lot of criticism for his tenure at NBC (the one I was thinking of was named Ben Silverman).
The OP doesn't need to clarify. Most people associate the failed NBC tenure with Fred, not Ben Silverman. NBC had some issues during Ben's run, but that still doesn't compare as much to the late-70s.

Being a game show fan, I dislike what Fred did to so many daytime games, but others bring up good points about him setting the groundwork for the 80s success stories. If he stayed until about 1984, he might be more highly revered for turning around NBC.

For what its worth, Fred had a lot more success with developing the Perry Mason TV movies, Matlock and In the Heat of the Night, among other shows during the mid-80s.
bgva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
danderson400
Forum Regular

he almost canceled Wheel Of Fortune: in fact it was carried through to the point of Wheel taping a series finale for August 1 and Charlie O Donnell leaving the show and them bringing in Jack Clark
danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote