Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #31
Hops3098
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I'm sure Ann Sigmin's sentence would probably get a much larger sentence if she is ever apprehended.
Might help if they re-did the WORST. COMPOSITE. DRAWINGS. EVER. MADE. considering how much time has passed.
Hops3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #32
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

The devil worship twaddle was so wtf that it cast doubt on everything I saw in the segment, although it made for splendid TV.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #33
owenrock
Frequent Poster

I just rewatched this case and I have to say I honestly thing the self-defense theory is unbelievable and here is why I think that.

1. The friend of Charles was with him when he got the phone call. Even if you arent falling down drunk most people can tell when someone has been drinking and drunk enough to turn violent as you can smell it on them. And she stated that he thought he was being set up and that Ann had said on the phone that she was going to commit suicide. Dont know of any reason the friend would lie about that...so if she is telling the truth why would he arrive there mad and beat her up out of nowhere

2. The wire tapped friend stated that Ann had told her she had reasons to kill Charles...so that combined with the voodoo doll thing I took to mean that she wanted him dead. If she did I feel that she thought for quite a while a way to get rid of him that would make people think she was innocent. And Goff might of been the type of guy that would go along with anything his woman told him to do, even murder

3. Ive always felt uneasy with the length of "self-defense" they went to...Even in panic do you really shoot that many times at the head when the attacker doesnt have a weapon? That never sat right with me, although Ive never been in that situation so one wouldnt know unless they were so this point is merely opinion without knowledge of the situation. While Im not ruling out self-defense completely I just find there are way more holes in that theory than murder. So I think just as its possible as there was a struggle and they shot him in self defense I think its also possible that either Charles struggled with Goff because he was shooting at him and he was trying to get the gun away or when Charles got there they told him to come in and shot him when he walked in the door and set up a crime scene like there was a struggle...I also found it odd that if he was viciously beating her that they never said she had any marks on her...youd think being savagely beaten would leave some marks.

Those are just my opinions and I could be wrong, but it is at this time my current take on the case
owenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #34
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Just rewatched this on Amazon.

At first I thought it was possible that this could have been self defense, but then Ann Sigmin's story would make absolutely no sense. Charlie's friend was there when Ann called him. For one, why would Ann have called Charlie in the first place and essentially ask him over if she was done and moved on from him? Two, if Ann simply called to talk, why would Charlie lie to his friend about the contents of the call? So going off of the phone call, Ann told Charlie that the kids missed him and that she was suicidal, and that she wanted him to come over. Charlie's initially suspicious, and debates taking his gun, because he thinks it's a setup. All of this is verified by his friend (who gave a heartbreaking interview in the segment). Charlie ultimately leaves the gun behind and heads over. According to Ann he shows up in a drunken fury and pushes himself inside before he starts beating on Ann. Why would Charlie do any of this if it was Ann who invited him over? Why would he instantly go from "I have to go stop Ann from killing herself" to "I have to brutally beat Ann up because she won't take me back"? Makes zero sense.

I think the police officer interviewed in the segment was friends with Garey Goff, which is why he made the comment about "Garey wouldn't be capable of murder". I think Charlie went over to the house, Ann invited him in, and an argument started between Garey and Charlie, which led to a fight, which then led to Charlie's murder. If this was in fact self defense, why flee the area? And after Goff turned himself in to authorities, why not claim self defense again and have Ann as a witness? Why would he plead guilty to 2nd degree murder?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #35
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops3098
Might help if they re-did the WORST. COMPOSITE. DRAWINGS. EVER. MADE. considering how much time has passed.

Seriously... Every time I see this case I look at the updated composite of her and think, "Did some high school kid whip this out between classes?" It doesn't even look real. There is about a zero percent chance that composite would serve any purpose. I just wish we knew why they made such a poor picture.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 AM   #36
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I think the police officer interviewed in the segment was friends with Garey Goff, which is why he made the comment about "Garey wouldn't be capable of murder". I think Charlie went over to the house, Ann invited him in, and an argument started between Garey and Charlie, which led to a fight, which then led to Charlie's murder. If this was in fact self defense, why flee the area? And after Goff turned himself in to authorities, why not claim self defense again and have Ann as a witness? Why would he plead guilty to 2nd degree murder?
I have an edited version of this segment but have seen the original NBC version before, as I remember Bonita Sigmin's "She does not worship God" comment, but had forgotten about the officer's "I don't think Garey Goff is capable of murder; Ann I've got questions about" line.

I too immediately suspected he may have known Goff as he was apparently at one point a police officer himself. The comment by its nature would seem to denote some degree of personal familiarity.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #37
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I have an edited version of this segment but have seen the original NBC version before, as I remember Bonita Sigmin's "She does not worship God" comment, but had forgotten about the officer's "I don't think Garey Goff is capable of murder; Ann I've got questions about" line.

I too immediately suspected he may have known Goff as he was apparently at one point a police officer himself. The comment by its nature would seem to denote some degree of personal familiarity.
I had only seen the prior edited version before, and had no idea that there was a possible self defense angle played up in the original segment. Although this could have been a ruse to try and get Sigmin and Goff to return to face the music.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #38
WilliamHBonney
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Yes, he plead guilty to second-degree murder, was sentenced to 20 years and was released after serving 13. I guess he figured he would get a lighter sentence if he turned himself in willingly and it worked out in the long run for him since he's a free man now. I'm sure Ann Sigmin's sentence would probably get a much larger sentence if she is ever apprehended.
Depends,if she gets apprehended 10-20 years from now she will be a Senior Citizen who could use ill health to get a shorter sentence then typical for that crime since she was actually never charged.
WilliamHBonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #39
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

It was precisely this kind of case that made UM such a delight in its first decade. I mean, the po-facedness with which the writers and producers presented this preposterous case (she worships Satan, oh dear)!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #40
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Depends,if she gets apprehended 10-20 years from now she will be a Senior Citizen who could use ill health to get a shorter sentence then typical for that crime since she was actually never charged.
I agree. The case is decades old, Ann would claim self defense and probably get a lighter sentence. Just my opinion, but I don't think she's still alive.

I've always thought that Goff knew more about Ann's fate than he's said, since he's claimed to have been in touch with her (this in contrast to her family hearing nothing from her in decades). Possibly abuse from Charlie was a partial motive, but Goff obviously was capable of murder and careful enough to get a better deal for himself.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #41
unsolved88
Forum Regular

I was just thinking about this case the other day. We all tend to agree that the Devil worship angle was really played up due to the Satanic panic of the late 80s, but I’m beginning to wonder if there was even any such worship in the first place.

Charlie’s mother and friend relay the story about Ann sitting in her nightie meditating and the voodoo doll, but we really only have Charlie’s word that any of this took place and since he’s dead, it’s basically hearsay. And Charlie’s mom and friend, while I feel sorry for their loss, are hardly unbiased. Yes, Garey Goff claimed when he was captured that Ann threatened to kill him via Satanic rituals, but that also could have been his way of trying to paint himself more of a victim by pandering the fears of the era. After all, this all took place in a Bible Belt state in the 1980s.

I wonder if Ann was in fact just doing some type of yoga or other meditation exercise and Charlie had a cow over it. Some very devout Christians view any other religion, and sometimes even other forms of Christianity that differ from their own, as products of Satan. Someone on Reddit suggested that if Ann was involved in a new age or other non-Christian religion, she may have had a hard time getting a fair trial in such a God-fearing town and that’s why she fled. I don’t think that’s necessarily an unfair assessment given when this took place.

I’m not sticking up for Ann at all. I think she likely pre-meditated Charlie’s murder and must be held accountable. But I also don’t think this case is just a matter of a nice unassuming Christian man falling in love with a deranged woman who ended up killing him because Satan. I’m sure there’s a lot more to this case than UM let on and if Ann is ever found, I’d be very interested to hear her side of the story. With Satanic Panic long gone, I have a feeling that people nowadays would be a little more willing to listen.

I always wondered what became of Ann’s sons. They seem almost forgotten.
unsolved88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #42
Cooker3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved88 View Post

I always wondered what became of Ann’s sons. They seem almost forgotten.
My thoughts exactly. Where were the kids the night of the killing and what happened to them after?
1 of the few occasions where someone is missing for that long and I think there is a good chance they are still alive.
Although be hard to imagine not getting in contact with her kids...then again maybe she has?
Cooker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #43
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Just watched this case yet again and I have to wonder if Garey didn't actually kill Ann at some point after they got out of town??

If there was any premeditation involved with Charlie's killing, I don't think it was on Garey's part, but Ann's and Ann's alone.

I think whatever happened was instigated by Ann. If Charlie didn't show up drunk as she claims, then she instigated/started some kind of argument or fight. She manipulated that argument/fight to the point where Garey got drawn in and was forced to defend himself with a gun. I also think she fired a few shots herself for good measure.

*(Ann doesn't necessarily have to be involved in satanism for this to work; nor does Charlie have to be all innocent and god-fearing as he was portrayed - it could go either way for both of them and still work)

Skipping town was an obvious next step. Now as to whether something happened along the way and Garey just snapped (after getting into an argument with Ann perhaps) or Garey decided at some point to kill her, Ann eventually ended up dead.

After disposing of her body, Garey probably figures there's no way he can return to a normal life without spending *some* time behind bars, so he turns himself in and makes it sound like Ann's still alive - pinning it all on her and shielding himself from other possible (and more serious) charges.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:22 AM   #44
Omar the Satanist
Occasional Poster

Watched this segment recently on YouTube.

The strongest impression I got of Ann Sigmin was of a chronic substance abuser and trashy, aging party girl. The satan worship thing could have been real but if so it was likely the result of some wacky sex and drug activities she was involved in rather than serious belief.

Charlie was obviously a guy with bad taste in women who probably couldn’t handle Ann’s lifestyle and she probably thought he was a wuss only good for dishing out money. Gary was the type of Skynyrd fan who could keep up with her, but a woman like that will mess up a man’s life in one way or another.

I doubt she’s alive today. She was exactly the type that ODs on something or hooks up with a man who doesn’t mind digging shallow graves.
Omar the Satanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #45
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar the Satanist View Post
Watched this segment recently on YouTube.

The strongest impression I got of Ann Sigmin was of a chronic substance abuser and trashy, aging party girl.
as opposed to Charlie?