Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
JRA2000TL
Frequent Poster

Default Curt Borton Jr.

I just watched this case, and it is very strange. I did a search and it appears that as of last year, no updates have been noted. What does everyone think? I would assume that the family would be able to correctly identify their own son but why would he never respond? Even when they ran the plates of that car he was in, they came up with nothing. It just doesn't make sense.

This, to me, is one of the stranger cases on UM. It's almost as if they mystery is right there to be solved several times over but nothing ever comes of it.
JRA2000TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
justins5256

This case never sat right with me for some reason. Obviously, this man's family wants to know he is alive and okay but some of the stories they told seem a bit far fetched, to say the least. I guess I don't understand why the government would take such an interest in Curt (sp?) as it was mentioned in the segment that he didn't posses any skills that would make him a candidate for any type of mission or special assignment.

I can't help but wonder if the family is blowing things out of proportion, seeing what they want to, or just grasping at straws because they really want to believe Curt is alive and don't want to accept the evidence that suggests otherwise.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
DP1
Forum Regular

I really feel sorry for the family. But I think they're seeing what they want to see. I mean, the military actually took the time to dismiss them on television. They never did that on any other segment.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

This was a case I wanted to believe but had trouble accepting.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
marlins3
Forum Regular

I think the family is sadly mistaken and is coping with Curt's loss in their own way. I never thought either picture looked like Curt (the first picture they show looks like a South Vietnamese soldier with american troops.. However, they are Curt's parents would be able to identify a picture of their own child much better than anyone else.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
marlins3
Forum Regular

I wonder if the military failed to take Curt's father seriously because he was uneducated (he was functionally illiterate). BTW, I believe Borton wa skilled in Vietnam.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I don't think the pictures shown of Curt in the Marines Magazine and a film frame were him. They just don't look like him, imo. Among other differences, they have different brow bone shapes and different ears, and they don't even look like each other.

However, I think the family used these photos as a spring board for Curt's sister to continue her search for him all the way to DC. I think her sightings of him there are more credible.

If you believe the federal government works in mysterious ways, or if you just plain old don't trust those effers (guess you can tell how I feel), then it's easy to explain why Curt's SS# came up as "never issued", and why the license plate on the red car, supposedly driven in DC by Curt, came back as registered to a man who says he knows nothing about Curt.

Well duh! If those plates are given out by the gov't for their own secret purposes, it's very likely that the plate on Curt's car wouldn't be registered to his own name and address, but to someone else working for secret gov't crap, and so on with everybody else's plates. That makes it easier to hide from whoever the gov't workers are supposed to be hiding from.

The phone call that the father received regarding the name of Curt's blonde haired baby sitter is somewhat unsettling to me. It's like whoever was on the phone with the dad wanted to make a positive connection between the dad and Curt, but then there was no further contact.

Or else maybe Curt just wanted to be sure that after all these years, those were really his folks, and an easy way to confirm that would be by asking a private question that only the family would know. Maybe he was actually spying on them the whole time, trying to make sure they were his family. Once he realized that they were (through the baby sitter question) then there was no reason to further endanger them or himself through those "chance" meetings at the park and on the roads.

One thing that I think is total BS is the explanation given by the gov't that the south asians had a viable trade in the "digging up and selling corpses" business. That gov't spokes blabber said that's why only several of Curt's teeth were recovered in a grave in Vietnam, but no other bones were found.

At first, the gov't spokes blabber called them "grave robbers". BS all over that. Grave robbers in modern times are not looking to supply cadavers to medical colleges. They are looking for valuables buried with the dead. They leave the bodies and take the jewelry, gold teeth, etc. I tried to find info on such activity, and doing a quick internet search only provides info on a drug trade that involved sending drugs from VN to the US in cadavers.

That's not what we're dealing with in Curt's case. In his case, he was supposedly buried in one location in VN. Then dug up and buried in another location in a grave robbing business. What money is there in digging up and reburying the dead? Seems like it would cost money to do that and would reap no rewards.

And who the heck were those two guys who kept meeting Curt's dad in the parking lots trying to get him to sign a document declaring Curt dead? The gov't spokes blabber may claim that they don't work in such an unprofessional manner, but come on! The gov't also runs the IRS, and Congress for crying out loud! And they don't exactly have "professional" stamped all over them.

After the dad finally signed the document, he received a check for over $40,000. I'm assuming it was drawn on some bank unrelated to the gov't and couldn't be traced to the gov't. Why would two strangers hound Curt's family to declare him dead, then send him forty grand for doing so?

And come to think of it, why did the family have to declare him dead? Curt was a marine in Vietnam. Why didn't the gov't just declare him 'killed in action' and be done with it? (Plus it had been over 20 years since he'd been last seen alive.) Then the gov't could move Curt into his new identity for whatever it is they wanted him to do.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I don't know if this makes any difference, but Curt's mom is identified in the segment as his step-mother. She calls him her son and I don't know at what point in his life that she became his step mother.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Fabolous
Occasional Poster

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I registered because I just watch this episode of Curt Borton. After watching this unsolved mystery, I was curious and wanted to see if there was anything on this person on the net or if there was any update..because isn't Unsolved mysteries a really old show??Any ways I read a couple of people post...and I have to disagree with some of you..maybe its wishful thinking but I still believe he is still alive...I was so angry when the sister didn't go up to him and ask the man, "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!?!"..got me so angry, but of course she didnt want to jepordize her children...so in a way it was understandable.
Although they mentioned that Curt didn't have any skills to do some covert op mission or w/e..we dont know for sure..and the man who said it was part of the u.s military, he could be working for the government for all we know, just hiding the facts...I found it kind of stupid, and everytime that marine spoke....I didnt believe him...I bet he IS working for some secret agency just to cover up for Curt...N e ways...great to see someone had recently postd..shows me this thread is still active...
Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
crystaldawn

Here is a webpage that talks about him.

http://taskforceomegainc.org/b038.html
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

There were several stories of this type in the history of UM. All different but with the central theme of "military man goes missing" and then is either sighted again and/or evidence turns up that he is in some secret program.

As much as I would like to believe these, I think most of them are probably just the hopes of loving families. (Please note they don't all fall into this category but I think most do.)

Justin Burgwinkel, Paul Whipkey, and the other guy I can't remember (his family said they saw him at a gas station on a nice day and he said, "Looks like snow" and then walked away).

I really, really want to believe that these people were/are alive and were on some secret mission, but my logic says in most if not all cases, Occam's Razor applies and there are much simpler explanations.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

TM, This is the guy who saw his sister and said, "looks like snow" when it was a sunny day in october with no sign of snow any time soon. She went on to see him in town a few more times, so she claims.

I don't know about the other cases. I'm sure a great many of the "missing vietnam soldier turns up mysteriously" are just cases of wishful thinking on the part of the parent. I know that sounds awful, but it must have been extremely hard for the families to accept.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
TM, This is the guy who saw his sister and said, "looks like snow" when it was a sunny day in october with no sign of snow any time soon. She went on to see him in town a few more times, so she claims.

I don't know about the other cases. I'm sure a great many of the "missing vietnam soldier turns up mysteriously" are just cases of wishful thinking on the part of the parent. I know that sounds awful, but it must have been extremely hard for the families to accept.
DOH! I'm an idiot...

I didn't read carefully enough. I thought this thread was about the guy who they thought had died in Vietnam and then his parents saw his picture in the magazine, which was apparently "backed up" by a guy in a bar, which later turned out to be false.

I stand by the rest of what I said, though.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #14
Fabolous
Occasional Poster

i came across something interesting on the web..something related to Curt...as i was searching on google i came across a page, that had his sister e-mail...and saying if anybody had n e question feel free to ask her....heres the link
http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/b/b038.htm
I doubt e-mailing her now would get us any answers or any updates on her brother whereabouts because it was last posted in 1998....but give it a try ..someone, lol?
Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
88keys
Forum Regular

I saw this case the other day, and it's definately one of the strangest I've ever seen! I don't necessarily not believe the family...I'm not sure what to think. I also did not think the photographs looked like Kurt. But I don't know why that man kept following the sister around, or why those government men kept acosting the father in parking lots. The whole thing is so bizarre.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote